Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shovelmint posted:

Yeah. Not gonna happen. What am I gonna do with the time I save, read A Memory of Light? Nope. I'll just knock Fool Moon out in a week or so, and be on to the better stuff.

If you're already sold on the series, this is definitely the sensible approach. It's undoubtedly the weak link of the series, but it's still worth reading. (I do tend to think more positively of this one than many folks in this thread, mind you.)

Just don't make the mistake of abandoning the series if you don't care for this book. (I suspect there's no danger of that based on your enthusiasm for Storm Front.) This is a series that just keeps getting better and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Its a fair point, but it would mean that the thread dies for like, 8 months at a time.

And? When Dresden's not going, I'd rather have a dead thread and you guys can talk about Rivers and London and Iron Druid and all that poo poo in the Urban Fantasy thread.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Shovelmint posted:

Just finished Storm Front for the first time. Loved it. Just wanted to thank you guys for keeping the thread up on the front page so often, so that I was aware that this is a series-to-be-read. Not gonna read the thread, because I don't want spoilers, but I'm sure I'll be in here to post in a few months after I've read the whole series. What a great book, what a wonderful narrative voice, and so much action. This is the hard-boiled wizard detective novel I've been waiting for.

Dude.

Please just pop in here after each book to post your thoughts. Don't read anything else, just let us know what you think.

Crazy theories are strongly encouraged!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh, and then watch the TV series, and react to each of the episodes!

(Don't actually watch the TV series)

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

My wife and I seem to be the only people that liked the show :(. It's cheesy fun. Maybe it's because we didn't read the books first, I dunno.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Danhenge posted:

And? When Dresden's not going, I'd rather have a dead thread and you guys can talk about Rivers and London and Iron Druid and all that poo poo in the Urban Fantasy thread.

This is the de facto urban fantasy thread, deal with it.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

gninjagnome posted:

My wife and I seem to be the only people that liked the show :(. It's cheesy fun. Maybe it's because we didn't read the books first, I dunno.

Yeah I liked the show, it got me into the books eventually.

I was fine with the departures, if they were going to do a show it absolutely had to be centered on the PI case of the week format, and not the saving-the-world-from-faeries stuff the books quickly descended into.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Danhenge posted:

If this thread moved at a faster pace with all the other talk, I might be tempted to agree with you, but as it stands, even though I've never been able to into any of the other recommendations, it doesn't really bother me.

docbeard posted:

If you're already sold on the series, this is definitely the sensible approach. It's undoubtedly the weak link of the series, but it's still worth reading. (I do tend to think more positively of this one than many folks in this thread, mind you.)

This has always been my opinion as well. I enjoyed Fool Moon while reading it, even though I'll now admit there's no way it can stack up to the rest of the series.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gninjagnome posted:

My fiancee liked the show, because she likes weird crime stories. She liked the books too.

It wasn't my favorite show ever, and I didn't think it did justice to the novels, but it wasn't a bad magic detective show by any means.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AlphaDog posted:

My fiancee liked the show, because she likes weird crime stories. She liked the books too.

It wasn't my favorite show ever, and I didn't think it did justice to the novels, but it wasn't a bad magic detective show by any means.

Yeah, the show isn't bad and I enjoyed the episodes I've watched, but if I want the Dresden Experience I just go books because they're easier to hand and better. If I had come to the show first I'd probably have enjoyed it a lot more.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

For those of you with the Dresden Itch, I've just finished four good Urban Fantasy novels.
The Black Sun's Daughter:
  • Unclean Spirits (Dec 2, 2008) (as M.L.N. Hanover)
  • Darker Angels (Sept 29, 2009) (as M.L.N. Hanover)
  • Vicious Grace (Nov 30, 2010) (as M.L.N. Hanover)
  • Killing Rites (Nov 29, 2011) (as M.L.N. Hanover)
  • Graveyard Child (April 30, 2013 (Forthcoming) ) (as M.L.N. Hanover)
It really is a nice series of books that don't devolve into the main character sleeping with a group of supernatural creatures. It also tells a simple tale about growing up. There are a few wonderful cheats the author uses, but it all works out.

Also, don't let the third book stop you from going on to the fourth. Also, don't believe any of the blurbs, I swear they write those things to make you not want to read the book. (The fourth book's summary blurb is really bad for this.)

Also, if you do start reading it, try to guess my favorite side character. She's the best side character ever. :allears:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just finished the three Rivers of London books, and they were really good. On par with The Rook, which I'd put about on par with mid-series Dresden.

I'm going to re-read Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age, and then I want to try out another modern fantasy series.

Given that I've loved Dresden, The Rook, and Rivers of London, what else fits that general style and theme? I got through the first Laundry Files, and part of the second one (and will go back, it was just too much all at once), and I didn't really like Greywalker. Iron Druid sounds like it will not be my thing at all.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I'll recommend the October Daye stuff again - it starts a bit slow but picks up in An Artificial Night, and I really think it's a close race between Butcher and McGuire for best urban fantasy by the time you get to One Salt Sea.

The usual warnings about other people on the internet's ideas apply.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AlphaDog posted:

I just finished the three Rivers of London books, and they were really good. On par with The Rook, which I'd put about on par with mid-series Dresden.

I'm going to re-read Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age, and then I want to try out another modern fantasy series.

Given that I've loved Dresden, The Rook, and Rivers of London, what else fits that general style and theme? I got through the first Laundry Files, and part of the second one (and will go back, it was just too much all at once), and I didn't really like Greywalker. Iron Druid sounds like it will not be my thing at all.

Give the second Laundry Files book another shot. It takes a bit to get rolling, but once it does, it's amazing. It has the best plot device ever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AlphaDog posted:

Paul Cornell's _London Falling_ series is very much in the Rivers of London vein but significantly darker, more horror, less fantasy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Give the second Laundry Files book another shot. It takes a bit to get rolling, but once it does, it's amazing. It has the best plot device ever.

Thing is, it really feels like Stross is trying too hard to be 'geek hip', and he repeatedly makes dated references that were never really funny to begin with. I think he calls his iPhone a 'Jesus Phone' like at least twenty times, and that's kinda the trend through the whole book.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Thing is, it really feels like Stross is trying too hard to be 'geek hip', and he repeatedly makes dated references that were never really funny to begin with. I think he calls his iPhone a 'Jesus Phone' like at least twenty times, and that's kinda the trend through the whole book.

That annoyed me too, but he actually got better about it, and there was little if any of that sort of thing in the latest book.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Tunicate posted:

Thing is, it really feels like Stross is trying too hard to be 'geek hip'

I think he tries hard to avoid being too 'geek hip'. At least he's not dropping references to Turing award acceptance speeches like he did in Accelerando.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
There's an Iron Druid novella coming out on May 7th called Grimoire of the Lamb. Then the 6th book comes out a little over a month after that.

I'm trying to start the Greywalker series but I keep getting stuck in the beginning of the first book. I'll read a little bit and then put it down and not pick it up again for 2 or 3 weeks. I'm going to try to change that tonight.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Daric posted:

There's an Iron Druid novella coming out on May 7th called Grimoire of the Lamb. Then the 6th book comes out a little over a month after that.

I'm trying to start the Greywalker series but I keep getting stuck in the beginning of the first book. I'll read a little bit and then put it down and not pick it up again for 2 or 3 weeks. I'm going to try to change that tonight.

Greywalker just never really clicked for me. I made it through a few books and then it just got kinda meh, the books will be emergency content reads probably. I read the first dagger and coin book and it has a free space opera novel at the end I just found. Whoop!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Should I try The Rook instead?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Daric posted:

I liked the Greywalker series but The Rook is better, hands down.

I'm also repeating my previous claim for The Newsflesh Trilogy. Fun reads, good plots, and a good overarching plot for the whole series.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

pseudonordic posted:

I liked the Greywalker series but The Rook is better, hands down.

I'm also repeating my previous claim for The Newsflesh Trilogy. Fun reads, good plots, and a good overarching plot for the whole series.

Actually, do we know if it's "just" a trilogy or if it's on hold while Grant/McGuire's busy with October Daye and whatnot?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Daric posted:

Definitely, it's awesome.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

404GoonNotFound posted:

Actually, do we know if it's "just" a trilogy or if it's on hold while Grant/McGuire's busy with October Daye and whatnot?

I'm halfway through book 3, will report back when done. There is a prequel book/story as well. I'm pretty sure it's a done deal.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Paul Cornell's _London Falling_ series is very much in the Rivers of London vein but significantly darker, more horror, less fantasy.

I'll give that a shot then, sounds like my sort of thing. Although Rivers of London is pretty loving dark in places, and I find the contrast to the lighter/funnier bits to be one of the better parts of the series.

Tunicate posted:

That didn't bother me much with Laundry Files. I didn't dislike the second book, but it feels like one of those series that needs months between novels or I'll just get sick of it. I own books 1-4 because I borrowed book 1, realised I'd read the whole series eventually, and ordered them when they were cheap on Amazon.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

404GoonNotFound posted:

You can hit her blog to see her in progress list. So far it looks like newsflesh is a trilogy but she is returning to the world to write some other stuff 'eventually'

Here blog is here, and this should be the post where she talks about 2013 and copy/pastes her writing list onto the end.

http://seanan-mcguire.livejournal.com/508319.html

Her actual website is at: http://www.seananmcguire.com/ if you want to go download free incryptid short stories and meet the aeslin mice.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Anias posted:

You can hit her blog to see her in progress list. So far it looks like newsflesh is a trilogy but she is returning to the world to write some other stuff 'eventually'

Here blog is here, and this should be the post where she talks about 2013 and copy/pastes her writing list onto the end.

http://seanan-mcguire.livejournal.com/508319.html

Her actual website is at: http://www.seananmcguire.com/ if you want to go download free incryptid short stories and meet the aeslin mice.

Well I haven't actually started either series yet, what with swearing off anything else until I finally loving finish Way of Kings (third attempt so far), but thanks anyway.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Rename the thread "General urban fantasy while we wait for the next dresden files?"

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Here's a thought, since the plot of the next book allegedly has Nicodemus and Harry teaming up to steal something from hell. What could they possibly both have an interest in acquiring that is in hell? Harry's mother's soul?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

Here's a thought, since the plot of the next book allegedly has Nicodemus and Harry teaming up to steal something from hell. What could they possibly both have an interest in acquiring that is in hell? Harry's mother's soul?

Really? Its going to the Dresden version of Dante's Inferno? Maybey Bob will come along for the ride. :3:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cartoon Man posted:

Really? Its going to the Dresden version of Dante's Inferno? Maybey Bob will come along for the ride. :3:

Wouldn't it be less Inferno and more descent to the underworld? Granted I never read the other two parts of the Divine Comedy but it didn't seem like he was after that.

Also why is speculation spoilerd?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Release date for Broken Homes moved up to June! (from August)!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Len posted:

Wouldn't it be less Inferno and more descent to the underworld? Granted I never read the other two parts of the Divine Comedy but it didn't seem like he was after that.

Also why is speculation spoilerd?

Because it's based on stuff Butcher has said about the next book.

Either way pretty sure it's not hell, but Hades' domain.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If it's something to do with Greek religion and Harry's mantle, the best thing I can think of is Persephone.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

Thank you for the wonderful example of how not to use spoiler tags. There is no way to know what is being spoiled without looking, and then it's too late! Hope you already knew that news about the plot of the next Dresden Files book!

Edit: it isn't even a big spoiler. It's the lack of context that grinds my gears.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Grundulum posted:

Thank you for the wonderful example of how not to use spoiler tags. There is no way to know what is being spoiled without looking, and then it's too late! Hope you already knew that news about the plot of the next Dresden Files book!

Edit: it isn't even a big spoiler. It's the lack of context that grinds my gears.

Its about as spoilery as the back cover blurb or the Amazon store page description. Not sure it should even be in tags to begin with.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Grundulum posted:

Haha, when I read the first few words of your post I thought you were mad about using spoiler tags when they're not needed. I agree that there could be better spoiler tag rules on these forums, but his use wasn't any different than most uses across the forums.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I agree with both of you above me. My point was that even if it had been a massive, Changes-level spoiler, instead of the back-of-the-book info it was, I would have had no way of knowing without reading the text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

computer parts posted:

If it's something to do with Greek religion and Harry's mantle, the best thing I can think of is Persephone.

I think that means something to do with Marcone because Persephone was his nickname for the Beckitt's daughter.

• Locked thread