Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Motronic posted:

Take the advice or don't. I only have what you've posted to go on.

So the solenoid actually makes 4.

Right, because leaving a ground cable and a sensor unplugged is due cause for alarm after rebuilding an engine. :rolleyes:

The exhaust bolts were done by my friend after we put the trans back up, and I made the mistake of trusting that he did it correctly.

Please, keep being an after-the-fact armchair mechanic in my build thread, though. Sorry we can't all be perfectionists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Clearly a few missed electrical connections implies that the builder has no idea how to use a torque wrench on important things inside an engine.

I guess I better drive back to NY and recheck the torque on every bolt on Ozmiander's YJ, as I did forget to plug one harness connector back in before trying to start it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Clearly a few missed electrical connections implies that the builder has no idea how to use a torque wrench on important things inside an engine.

I think it's pretty clear I wasn't implying that at all. Everything leading up to this appears to be simple lack of attention to detail.

Again, I know nobody likes to hear it.....but when you're putting it all out there on public forums you're inviting the critique.

Adiabatic, enjoy yourself however you like. Don't worry about any concerns at least two people have brought up about how it appears you are handling this. Sorry for pointing anything out to you in the first place.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Keep all 3, that way you have every single AI hole in your soul filled. Except i guess you would need a subie of some variety now.

Motronic posted:

So the solenoid actually makes 4.

You sir, earned your :spergin:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got a rather quick bike (BMW K1200RS) and as fun as it is to be able to hit triple digit speeds in an instant I would still very much like a fun car as well. There are plenty of times where the weather isn't right or I just don't feel like putting on all my gear or whatever.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

S2000 is good to go, gear bought for the SV650. Right in time for the weather!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Galler posted:

I've got a rather quick bike (BMW K1200RS) and as fun as it is to be able to hit triple digit speeds in an instant I would still very much like a fun car as well. There are plenty of times where the weather isn't right or I just don't feel like putting on all my gear or whatever.

A roadster is actually a great compromise to a bike. Great handling convertible, and although the acceleration doesn't come close, it's the closest thing to a bike on four wheels imo. Since I've stopped riding I've been through four miatas :v:

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000
I definitely agree with the people pushing against the pitchforks. Come on, a couple of electrical connections isn't exactly cause for concern. Literally everyone has done this.

Anyway, Adiabatic, you still own my dream car, and I'm not afraid of whatever it is you've done. I only have some lovely k series (see rsx for sale in marketplace) and a little cash to try to take this off your hands, but let me know if you're interested. I believe I can be PMd (who knows, i lost track of permissions vs payment like 10 years ago). I'm going to go ahead and PM you instead to make it a bit easier, I guess?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

One of the first things my hilux did after its engine swap was tore the input shaft on its gearbox to shreds- and that was after two guys went over the thing for 3 weeks double checking EVERYTHING. poo poo happens, it's just good you caught it

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So lots of stuff happened.

I put 2k miles on the motor.

Spun another rod bearing seemingly out of the blue.

Turns out the rod bearings I bought were garbage :\ In retrospect I should've just gotten a new crank and OEM bearings but gently caress it whaddya gonna do.

I bought a MAD TYTE JDM F20C off the internet with 38k on the clock, and an 18 wheeler came by on Wednesday and dropped it off.

I'm probably just rationalizing at this point, but I'm glad it went this way. I would've always been worried about it and couldn't sell it in good conscience anyways. This way I can get my money back parting poo poo out and selling that soul-crushing Civic, and a 38k mile motor is a pretty good selling point with 95k on the chassis.

:unsmith:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh in other news the SV650 is awesomely fun.

If I ever sell the S2000 I think I'm gonna buy back my POS M30-swapped E30 for $500 and put an LSx/T56 in it. My Chevy redneck buddy told me to do LQ4 block L92 heads L76 intake with a performance cam. I know some of those words.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm really sorry you blew up the motor again. :( Even if they are poo poo aftermarket bearings 2000 miles is hardly anything, you should burn down their offices.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Don't sell the S2000 :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Don't sell the S2000 :(

Not even for a 2800 lb 450whp weight neutral sleeper? Plus ~$5k left over?

Don't get me wrong I love this car. I just have Automotive ADD like a motherfucker.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 14, 2013

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

soon

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

and a 38k mile motor is a pretty good selling point with 95k on the chassis.

Not to be a downer, but not really. Especially when a potential buyer asks who replaced the motor. You can be a completely competent backyard mechanic but most people are going to pass on it for the simple fact they can find another S2k that has an original motor installed by the factory.

If you're confident with your install of the new motor I wouldn't say poo poo because it wont help you sell it imo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I've got a couple buddies coming over that have their ASE certs to bang this out in a weekend, so technically I can say "Professionally installed" :haw:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Well this worries me...

I understand that whomever took this engine out is in the business of pulling motors quick, and this stuff is the result of haste, but I'm definitely going over this one with a fine-toothed comb before I install it.

I went ahead and took the cam cover off, and she's purty under there:

Anything I should absolutely pay attention to when I check this guy out before I install him?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That doesn't look too bad, just random banging around. Could have happened during pulling, during packaging or during transport. Not a lot you can do do damage the good stuff, even with rough pulling. You have plenty of spares from the blowed-up motor. Just go through a good fluid drain/mechanical check out procedure and it should be fine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That could have easily happened during shipping.

:10bux: for a new PCV valve (which you should be swapping anyway), swap the sensor (cam position sensor?) over from the dead motor, done. Struggling to see what's wrong in the first photo, but I've never touched an S2k..

I'd probably swap the front and rear crank seals before it goes in, especially if it's been sitting awhile. Probably the oil pan gasket too.

e: VVV I started thinking about that too, but he has a perfectly good one from his current engine to use if he needs to.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 17, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks like the wrong/a generic oil dipstick, but I'm not sure.

As long as there aren't any significant damages to the block/head/head gasket, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's the correct dipstick but it's supposed to face 180° around. Rear main seal is a giant bitch to put in so if it's not leaking I'm gonna go ahead and leave it. Everything gasket-wise on the block is liquid gasket from the factory for some reason.

I'm just being nitpicky and overly cautious currently. It's not so much the actual damage, as I can just swap over parts obviously. It's more what that damage implies. I suppose I'm asking y'all for the best way to make sure I didn't just buy a poo poo engine, as I have a certain paranoia about the whole thing lately.

I'm thinking about it too much and need to just go work on it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You could always pull the pan, then pull the bearing caps to evaluate wear. If you want to be super paranoid, toss some oil in it, toss a starter on it, and check compression.

Didn't know they'd gone to liquid gaskets - everything except the head gasket and valve cover was RTV from the factory on my last car (99 Nissan Altima), drove me loving nuts every time I had to do anything. Especially on the water pump (which was a PITA to get to anyway). Even the loving transmission was Permatex Gray on everything except axle seals and the seal on the shifter rod... :argh:

What makes the rear main so difficult? 2 piece seal? (again, coming from someone who's never touched an S2k, but worked on plenty of mid 80s-early 00s Hondas)

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Since you know S2k's well, I'd just like to ask you a thing.
I seem to have an oil leak (slow, not dripping) at the front left of the engine, by the tensioner...
Some peeps say this is common and to forget about it, others are giving me horror stories.
I have to drive 2000km in a few weeks so I don't want to risk breaking down in loving Serbia or something.
What would you do....I mean what do you think I should do?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

On the intake side?

There's a couple of different places the leak could be coming from.

The most obvious would be the corner of the valve cover. It's a rubber gasket and easy as poo poo to replace.

The timing cover also could be leaking either from the perimeter (liquid gasket) or from the island gasket for the accessory belt's idler pulley (also liquid gasket). Leaking from there would necessitate taking the cover off, which is simple yet tedious aside from the pain in the rear end that is loving with the harmonic balancer.

If I've assumed incorrectly and it's on the exhaust side, then it could be the aforementioned gaskets or it could also be the timing chain tensioner or the VTEC solenoid.

Here's a paint thing to show you the possible places for an oil leak:

It should be pretty simple to diagnose which seal is leaking from there.

If you're leaking from the VTEC Solenoid or Chain Tensioner I'd either fix it or at least double check the bolt torque on them. If it's from the timing cover or valve cover I wouldn't be worried about it but I would certainly check your oil level every fill-up during the trip.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Adiabatic posted:

On the intake side?

There's a couple of different places the leak could be coming from.

The most obvious would be the corner of the valve cover. It's a rubber gasket and easy as poo poo to replace.

The timing cover also could be leaking either from the perimeter (liquid gasket) or from the island gasket for the accessory belt's idler pulley (also liquid gasket). Leaking from there would necessitate taking the cover off, which is simple yet tedious aside from the pain in the rear end that is loving with the harmonic balancer.

If I've assumed incorrectly and it's on the exhaust side, then it could be the aforementioned gaskets or it could also be the timing chain tensioner or the VTEC solenoid.

Here's a paint thing to show you the possible places for an oil leak:

It should be pretty simple to diagnose which seal is leaking from there.

If you're leaking from the VTEC Solenoid or Chain Tensioner I'd either fix it or at least double check the bolt torque on them. If it's from the timing cover or valve cover I wouldn't be worried about it but I would certainly check your oil level every fill-up during the trip.

gently caress, it's right on the left corner of the horizontal line you drew by the Chain Tensioner...guess I'll get the Honda guy to check it out when I get it serviced next week:(

Thanks for taking the time to mspaint me a pretty picture and for your help:)

I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow anyway

Edit: crappy ipad pics attached. The bottom bolt on the tensioner? is covered in lovely amber oil, the others are clean so I think it's coming from there...or maybe I'm rubbish...

Jut fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 18, 2013

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That tensioner shaft is double O-ringed. Doesn't mean that it won't leak, but I was thinking about it yesterday and it would be a lot less likely to leak as opposed to the tensioner's access hole, which has a metal "gasket" on it and that's it.

This guy:

With the amount of oil leaking (practically none at all) and the probable flow direction towards the header with the fan sitting there, I'd dare say that's the cause of your leak.

Either way that leak is tiny and you shouldn't be worried about it as long as you're doing a regular oil change interval.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Thanks man, appreciated. When I get it serviced before the journey I'll get a double, triple check but otherwise I will bow to. your wisdom, and just keep an eye on it.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Adiabatic posted:

Not even for a 2800 lb 450whp weight neutral sleeper? Plus ~$5k left over?

Don't get me wrong I love this car. I just have Automotive ADD like a motherfucker.

It’s nice though and you've put a metric dick ton of work into it. I have automotive ADD too but I get attached to my things, maybe you don’t. Just seems like it would be a shame to sell it after all this. 180'd Dipstick and all.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's more about the journey and less about the object I'm left with. I'm more concerned about keeping my brain occupied than I am with having a nice car.

In other news...

:siren: IT HAS BEGUN :siren:

(again...)

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

In other news...

(again...)

Thats going to be really fun to do. I am, quite jealous.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

It's more about the journey and less about the object I'm left with. I'm more concerned about keeping my brain occupied than I am with having a nice car.

In other news...

(again...)

Don't forget that drat ground strap :v:

I bet it goes fast this time, all the bolts have been out and you know exactly what you're doing.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That's part of the beauty about it. The harness is already completely connected to the new engine. I'm plugging it directly into the old ECU, so all I have to do is connect hard points and hosing like coolant and fuel. As long as I don't have issues physically getting the motor out I think you're right... This will go super fast.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

IOWNCALCULUS THAT IS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND WHEN I SAID "HAVE FUN WITH IT"

:arghfist:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Adiabatic posted:

This will go super fast.

Isn't that usually when things go wrong for you?

The thread title is amusing though :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
IOwnCalculus for AI President for Life

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Adiabatic posted:

I laughed way, way too hard at the new title. :golfclap:

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Evidently he heard have "super happy fun" with it. Now all you need to do is have your thread race the 86 thread down the FIVE DEADLY HAIRPINS

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

I was waiting for the admins to give it the new tag before I commented, but glad you like it :keke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:siren: HELP :siren:

I swapped the motor over completely while watching Le Mans this weekend (RIP Allan :smith:)

Went to turn the motor over to prime the oil pump (no belt, no plugs, injectors disconnected) and it spun fast for about 5 seconds then slowly died like the battery didn't have enough amperage.

I hooked it up to a battery box and let it charge for a while, and now the starter will engage with a *thunk* and not turn over any more. Maybe a half-assed spin.

I don't THINK it's the motor, as it turns fine by hand. Even if the motor were junk the starter would be able to spin it as there's no more resistance than the bad old motor and the old motor started just fine.

I'm thinking maybe the starter has a less-than-optimal power connection, or it's out of alignment with the flywheel maybe. Maybe a loose ground (wouldn't that be funny...)

Anyone have any ideas? I plan on fighting my way to the starter after work today to diag.

Edit: It's worth mentioning that Forums User skylineboy08 installed the starter, and he doesn't know what he's doing :haw:

• Locked thread