Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

The Midniter posted:

I don't know if this is helpful but honestly, beef jerky is very expensive for what you get and especially if you're looking for large quantities, it would be much more economical to make your own.

Here's Alton Brown's jerky recipe that requires no more exotic equipment than a box fan and a couple bungee cords.

This is the method I use already, and 2 things

1) It's still really loving expensive overall. $20 of beef dries to a pitifully small amount

2) The filters are good for 2 or 3 passes and then start to get really really nasty. Recommend keeping many refills on hand if you plan to do this A Lot.

Honestly due to time required (slicing takes for frigging ever even with a mandolin) and the only slightly lower cost, I will be buying a few pounds of GoonJerky for upcoming trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
If I throw some lentils in with rice into my rice cooker and let it go, will it all cook properly? I feel like it should but I don't want to mess up dinner.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If they're red lentils, yes. Otherwise, probably not.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
apparently all of the dals have uneven cooking times so like wiggles said, only some of 'em work like that. Of course I occasionally do not give a gently caress and will just add whatever lentils I want to my rice and if a few of 'em are just shy of al dente, it doesn't bother me.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Saint Darwin posted:

So I put some meat in a slow cooker last night to do its thing. I was dumb and forgot to remove it before leaving for work today. By my estimates it's been in complete Off mode (Warm turns to Off after 4 hours) for about 4 hours.

If I eat this will I die? Interesting part about that: it hasn't been exposed to much ambient air after being above the safe range for 8 hours. Would bacteria really find its way there so quickly?
Whenever I make spaghetti sauce I always make a ton of it so that I can freeze most of it. I also don't get home until around 8pm, so this inevitably means that I'm going to be simmering it in an enameled cast iron pot until 10 or 11 and then leaving it out all night before putting the whole thing into the fridge the next morning. Then I repeat the pattern for 2 or 3 nights. I'm pretty sure this will not kill me, but I will be sure to have my next of kin come post here if I do.

In other slow-cooking news, I'm looking to break in my electronic Fagor slow cooker. I'd like to make http://wholesome-cook.com/2011/09/10/bigos-a-sauerkraut-sausage-and-meat-stew; does anybody have suggestions for how to convert the simmering portion into pressure cooker terms?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

Whenever I make spaghetti sauce I always make a ton of it so that I can freeze most of it. I also don't get home until around 8pm, so this inevitably means that I'm going to be simmering it in an enameled cast iron pot until 10 or 11 and then leaving it out all night before putting the whole thing into the fridge the next morning. Then I repeat the pattern for 2 or 3 nights. I'm pretty sure this will not kill me, but I will be sure to have my next of kin come post here if I do.

In other slow-cooking news, I'm looking to break in my electronic Fagor slow cooker. I'd like to make http://wholesome-cook.com/2011/09/10/bigos-a-sauerkraut-sausage-and-meat-stew; does anybody have suggestions for how to convert the simmering portion into pressure cooker terms?

Braising meat to fork tenderness generally takes anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on cut and temperature. Tougher cuts like shank, oxtail, cheek, etc are on the longer end, shoulder, etc are on the shorter end. Pressure cookers, in general divide that by about 1/4-1/3 depending on pressure. I know for me, shoulder takes about 30 min once the whole thing is brought up to pressure (follow instructions of the particular cooker)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
My boss got a smoker and is encouraging me to use it for anything as long as I do a hot smoke that doesn't last a long time.

What should I do?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tarepanda posted:

My boss got a smoker and is encouraging me to use it for anything as long as I do a hot smoke that doesn't last a long time.

What should I do?

quantify "long time"

in the world of smoke, 6 hours is the low end...

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

GrAviTy84 posted:

quantify "long time"

in the world of smoke, 6 hours is the low end...

I have no clue about smoking -- those were his words.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

GrAviTy84 posted:

Braising meat to fork tenderness generally takes anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on cut and temperature. Tougher cuts like shank, oxtail, cheek, etc are on the longer end, shoulder, etc are on the shorter end. Pressure cookers, in general divide that by about 1/4-1/3 depending on pressure. I know for me, shoulder takes about 30 min once the whole thing is brought up to pressure (follow instructions of the particular cooker)

Did you maybe mean to say that it will multiply the time by 1/4 - 1/3? Or alternatively, divide by 4 - 3? Basically I'm taking this to mean I can generally go with a pressure cooking taking about 30% of the time that a regular cook takes.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

Did you maybe mean to say that it will multiply the time by 1/4 - 1/3? Or alternatively, divide by 4 - 3? Basically I'm taking this to mean I can generally go with a pressure cooking taking about 30% of the time that a regular cook takes.

yes, sorry. it takes less time.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I have most of a tin of coconut milk that needs using up. I've eaten far too much curry lately. Any other suggestions? Possibly for something sweet, though I don't really mind!

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Coconut rice is a thing. Normally it's served with Mango but at least in my area the strawberries and cheap and good.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bollock Monkey posted:

I have most of a tin of coconut milk that needs using up. I've eaten far too much curry lately. Any other suggestions? Possibly for something sweet, though I don't really mind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KqPqEZiLYI

Enjoy the righteous guitar playing, and ignore the really REALLY bad dad jokes. No, seriously. It's a solid recipe. Every time I've made it, I've had them finish really quickly.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

This coconut rice pudding is absolutely delicious. If you can get mango, reduce the sugar and eat with mango.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/01/coconut-milk-recipes-fearnley-whittingstall

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tarepanda posted:

What should I do?

If you have access to it for overnight, smoke some turkeys with hickory or pecan wood. Best Turkey ever.

If you have it for 8-10h you can do a brisket or thick cut sirloins or chicken leg quarters etc. In fact the sirloins and leg quarters can probably be done closer to 4-6h.

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.
Is there some combination of spices I can throw in a rice cooker with some rice and get savory tasty rice out of it? I like curry if that helps. I checked out the goonswithspoons.com thing and didn't see precisely what I'm looking for. I just want to throw spices in there and have it make something good. Maybe chicken broth too? I don't know....

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mean Bean posted:

Is there some combination of spices I can throw in a rice cooker with some rice and get savory tasty rice out of it? I like curry if that helps. I checked out the goonswithspoons.com thing and didn't see precisely what I'm looking for. I just want to throw spices in there and have it make something good. Maybe chicken broth too? I don't know....

Chicken stock or similar would help.

Otherwise I'd personally go with cumin, paprika, allspice, salt, black pepper and a tiny bit of cayenne.

If you wanted to branch out any more I'd sautee some onions, celery, garlic and throw that in with a little chopped parsley also.

There's a million good ways to do this though, kinda looking forward to seeing how other people would do it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mean Bean posted:

There are lots of ideas in here from dino and other people!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413016

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.
That's a good start, thanks! :)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
My question and the latest topic got me wondering: is there such a thing as a pressure smoker? It seems like something you'd have to be insane to build, but cooking has no shortage of loonies.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Zenzirouj posted:

My question and the latest topic got me wondering: is there such a thing as a pressure smoker? It seems like something you'd have to be insane to build, but cooking has no shortage of loonies.

What would be the point of a pressure smoker? A pressure cooker works because it raises the boiling Point of water, but I can't imagine that there really is a practcal limit to the temperature you could get in some form of unpressirized smoker.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

What is a good blender to work with? I know the Nutri Bullet is all the rage these days, but I want to be sure what I get is going to be worth my money.

Stealth edit:

I'm looking to use it primarily for things like Smoothie drinks, hummus, etc. The last blender I had (an old magic bullet from ~ 7 years ago) burned out.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Get a vitamix

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
My grill has decided that rust has gotten the better of it and it needs to retire. I have been interested in the Charcuterie and smoking for a while and want to take the plung with a smoker and grill or smoker/grill.

I'm currently considering buying the Big Green Egg(BGE) to be both a smoker and grill or purchasing a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker and another grill.

I ask you Goons, what are you opinions on these two? I figure the prices will be about the same no matter which way i go.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
^^^^ After several goons posted success stories about it I got a Weber kettle grill and will be getting a Smokenator attachment for it soon to use as a smoker.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Casu Marzu posted:

Get a vitamix

These are the ultimate smoothie maker. Expensive, though. We have one and it's just sick. Still make hummus in a food processor, though.

I've seen the Ninja for half the price and it has good reviews on Amazon but I haven't personally used one.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Today I made my first pickle:

Jalapenos, a small Hab, and garlic. I did 50/50 water/vinegar with 2 teaspoons of salt, one of sugar, and some black peppercorns for the brine.

I still have a pile of jalapenos I want to use up and two big poblanos I want to use up. Any options other to change up my brine? I did the first batch as rings and want to do the rest as spears.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

These are the ultimate smoothie maker. Expensive, though. We have one and it's just sick. Still make hummus in a food processor, though.

I've seen the Ninja for half the price and it has good reviews on Amazon but I haven't personally used one.

Consumer Reports liked the Ninja more then the Vitamix, which is crazy bullshit. Vitamix FOR LIFE!

(maybe they just compared the consumer model, I dunno)

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
Im looking for som good tapas dish recipes, any reccomendations?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Monteunicorn posted:

What kind of tapas have you had before that you liked? This is basically like asking for recipes for curry or soup cake in that it's so general that we can't really help you out with a bit more detail.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I made EVG's peanut butternut squash soup, it's good but it isn't as peanuty as I'd like. In this soup in particular and in peanut dishes in general how do you bring it's flavor forward?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Monteunicorn posted:

Like ricola said, tapas are quite varied. If you take a modern stance on the category it's even broader, encompassing everything from dumplings to tacos to some pub fare.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Like ricola said, tapas are quite varied. If you take a modern stance on the category it's even broader, encompassing everything from dumplings to tacos to some pub fare.

Yeah, we've got a mexican tapas place in town here. I was expecting finger food, and got this:

That said, he probably wants to start with the basic spanish stuff, paprika almonds, stuffed olives, stuffed tomatoes, that sort of thing?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

DekeThornton posted:

What would be the point of a pressure smoker? A pressure cooker works because it raises the boiling Point of water, but I can't imagine that there really is a practcal limit to the temperature you could get in some form of unpressirized smoker.

I have no idea :shobon:. I guess I was envisioning a high pressure environment that would somehow shove smoke more efficiently into meat.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Yeah, we've got a mexican tapas place in town here. I was expecting finger food, and got this:

That said, he probably wants to start with the basic spanish stuff, paprika almonds, stuffed olives, stuffed tomatoes, that sort of thing?

What is that? A boat of Mexican? Did it taste good?

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Doh004 posted:

What is that? A boat of Mexican? Did it taste good?

One was like a mexican chicken kiev full of epazote and ouaxaca, another was some pork dish I forget but not because it wasn't awesome I was just incredibly drunk, another was a lobster taco which was probably the weakest of the four, and the last was the best loving camarones ala diabla I've ever eaten in my life.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Ok, so standard tapas that come to mind when I think of tapas are:

Tortilla Espanola
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOkk6xRvTHc

Mussels Escabeche
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yavUNZltdw0

Pulpo a la gallega (:getin:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOeih49iWME

*something* al ajillo - you can do shrimp, chicken thigh, or even mushrooms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l28gpBFWwM8

You can always start with a gazpacho of some sort. Classic tomato gazpacho is really great, but there are white and green gazpachos that are very very awesome
Andaluz
http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/jose-andres-gazpacho-recipe

green
http://www.bonappetempt.com/2012/07/green-gazpacho.html

White
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/07/white-gazpacho-i-make-this-all-timelike.html

And of course some olives, sliced jamons and chorizos, and some crusty bread with tapenade and/or aioli.

And also, you could tack on a paella of some kind, or fideua.

edit: hmmmm, tapas thread could be fun.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yes. Make a tapas thread. Albondigas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I donated my spice cabinet to friends before I moved recently. Now I have an empty spice cabinet. Literally. I'm considering just ordering a gift set from Penzey's to set my cabinet right again. I was looking at the (aptly named) Spice Replacement set or the Two Hearts set in particular. My pepper mill died as well, so that part of the box sets wouldn't be a waste. Is this a terrible idea? Can better deals be had elsewhere?

e: link to sets http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/c-Gift_Boxes.html