Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

inkblottime posted:

I'm forever a fan of these. They're cheap and re-usable.

Oh those look awesome! I'll order a set for the next time I have to move my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Weird to think that a setup like this costs a lot less than something like a macbook.

Cable management isn't too bad with the rack. I had to drill out an extra hole in the monitor stand and get extenders for the cables to keep it all clean and make sure I could still roll the rack around\replace stuff without disconnecting everything. The only problem I've run into is running long USB extensions behind me to my shelves\side desk. Signal is fine but some stuff that requires power from the usb can get a little wonky. A powered usb hub would fix it but it hasn't been a big enough issue to really worry about.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Take a picture of the rack with the door open!

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

bobua posted:

Weird to think that a setup like this costs a lot less than something like a macbook.

Cable management isn't too bad with the rack. I had to drill out an extra hole in the monitor stand and get extenders for the cables to keep it all clean and make sure I could still roll the rack around\replace stuff without disconnecting everything. The only problem I've run into is running long USB extensions behind me to my shelves\side desk. Signal is fine but some stuff that requires power from the usb can get a little wonky. A powered usb hub would fix it but it hasn't been a big enough issue to really worry about.

Really? What exactly consists of "a setup like this"?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gnrk posted:

5 for $100 mis-matched craigslist monitors.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

bobua posted:

Money is temporary. Shame lasts forever.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

gnrk posted:

The only 'expensive' part was the rack. Even nice dell lcd's are pretty cheap, and if you're in IT someone along the way is going to try and pay you just to haul theirs off.

I used to keep anything but my main two behind me, roll around in my chair constantly, and use a KVM... I didn't realize what a mess it all was until I replaced it all with $120 mount. More desk space, shitload of saved time.

I guess if you played pc games or did some sort of design work you would be forced to go with higher end monitors, but I'm mostly monitoring console poo poo :shrug:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bobua posted:

The only 'expensive' part was the rack. Even nice dell lcd's are pretty cheap, and if you're in IT someone along the way is going to try and pay you just to haul theirs off.

I used to keep anything but my main two behind me, roll around in my chair constantly, and use a KVM... I didn't realize what a mess it all was until I replaced it all with $120 mount. More desk space, shitload of saved time.

I guess if you played pc games or did some sort of design work you would be forced to go with higher end monitors, but I'm mostly monitoring console poo poo :shrug:

Dell monitors are grainy pieces of poo poo that review well because people are cheap. (at least the old ones are I think I heard they made the anti glare less aggressive but my hatred for them still stands)

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Dell monitors are grainy pieces of poo poo that review well because people are cheap. (at least the old ones are I think I heard they made the anti glare less aggressive but my hatred for them still stands)

Dell monitors have always been my favorite, but to be fare, I hate 'glossy,' have no perception of color quality, and have always cared more about bezel size than anything else. Twas a time dell had small bezels when it seemed like everyone else though you needed a 2 inch border around your screen. Uhg.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Duck and Cover posted:

The Ultrasharps are pretty good, others not as much so. But I've never known a monitor to be "grainy" so I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

The Ultrasharps are pretty good, others not as much so. But I've never known a monitor to be "grainy" so I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

I think he means the coating on the screen.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Mitsune posted:

I think he means the coating on the screen.

Which is actually an issue. Its quite apparent on my 30 inch but over time I have learned to tolerate it. When I am gaming at the very least its hard to notice, its primarily when working with text.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Aside from the coating which may annoy people, the main issue with the Dell IPS panels (at least the ones above 24") is the response time/input lag which is uncomfortably high for gaming.

I recommend people who want a 2560x1440 screen with really good colour accuracy get a Samsung PLS screen - they are cheaper than the Dell screens, look amazing, and are good for gaming. The only fault you could possibly level at them is that the DVI cable they come with is comically short and you will more than likely need to buy a longer one if you keep your PC on the floor.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Duck and Cover posted:

That review well because people are cheap? I buy the Dells because it's by far the best for your money, and that includes things that aren't the monitor - I've found the support to be good, advance next day replacement and so on.

Then again, I'm totally fine with the AG coating that grates on some. But then, that's not Dell specific, seeing as the panel comes from someone else like LG.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How are Samsung's monitors? A few of their LCD HDTVs are some of the best I've seen anywhere and I'm wondering if that extends to their computer monitors as well.

vvv Oh ok, awesome. Thanks!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 2, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I mentioned my opinion of my 2560x1440 PLS Samsung monitor a few posts ago

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

How are Samsung's monitors? A few of their LCD HDTVs are some of the best I've seen anywhere and I'm wondering if that extends to their computer monitors as well.

vvv Oh ok, awesome. Thanks!

I had a Samsung, it opted to make a sweet buzzing noise. To be honest I am presently using a Dell and I'd replace it if I thought a better option was available (and hasn't been updated in 500+ days) . Yes it's the over aggressive anti glare film on Dell monitors that make them look grainy/hazy. This is off topic anyway there's a thread for this. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494

It's also possible to remove the anti glare film http://www.overclock.net/t/1216559/how-to-remove-anti-glare-coating-from-a-dell-u2312hm-monitor-and-others but I don't feel like risking it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 2, 2013

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

HalloKitty posted:

That review well because people are cheap? I buy the Dells because it's by far the best for your money, and that includes things that aren't the monitor - I've found the support to be good, advance next day replacement and so on.

Then again, I'm totally fine with the AG coating that grates on some. But then, that's not Dell specific, seeing as the panel comes from someone else like LG.
The IPS Ultrasharps are much better than the TN screens 90% of people use.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!
So, after being a long-time lurker in this thread, ashamed of living like poo poo:

I finally made the two-hour trek to my nearest Ikea to pick up a Galant, along with a few other things:

It makes cable management so easy, it's criminal.

Now I have a different problem - my 23" monitor is dwarfed by my desk. It might be time to make the leap, as others have discussed in this thread, to adding a second 23" or a single 27-30". Still, can't argue with the results. Fantastic desk, and highly recommended.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

monoptic posted:

So, after being a long-time lurker in this thread, ashamed of living like poo poo:

What about this is LLS, exactly? My desk is an absolute horror, underneath it and behind the monitor shelf. But I also can't see it.

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!
How exactly does it make cable management easier? Does the Galant come with some sort of management accessories?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Yep, an under-desk tray for bits and pieces and winding cables, a tower holder, and a bits-and-pieces kit.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

FetalDave posted:

How exactly does it make cable management easier? Does the Galant come with some sort of management accessories?

Expanding on what Factory Factory said, I'd personally go for the this cable management tray rather than the cage looking one. This thing is also pretty rad.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
A couple pics of my new setup. Club Galant, obviously

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
So what's the Go-To desk for people who live in the middle of nowhere and don't have an Ikea within 8 hours of them? I'm pretty much relegated to Office Depot/Max and leftover office liquidator stores.

The Lord Bude posted:

Aside from the coating which may annoy people, the main issue with the Dell IPS panels (at least the ones above 24") is the response time/input lag which is uncomfortably high for gaming.
Uh, maybe I got a crazy mutant Dell 27" IPS panel (U2713HM) but I have no idea what you are talking about. I play FPS almost exclusively and have never noticed any input lag or response time issues. Best monitor I've ever had.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

What speakers are those and how do you like them?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What speakers are those and how do you like them?

They are Era D4s and I love them. They were a little pricey ($400 for the pair) but they sound fantastic and I think they look pretty cool.

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.

monoptic posted:

Now I have a different problem - my 23" monitor is dwarfed by my desk. It might be time to make the leap, as others have discussed in this thread, to adding a second 23" or a single 27-30". Still, can't argue with the results. Fantastic desk, and highly recommended.

I think you have the same case as me!

Finally managed to get around to cleaning my desk. I have to look into finding a better piano stand, but for now it's functional.

singe fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 4, 2013

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Tedronai66 posted:

What about this is LLS, exactly? My desk is an absolute horror, underneath it and behind the monitor shelf. But I also can't see it.

You can't see from the angle, but the right side of the desk had cables streaming down like a rat's nest in to the subwoofer. It was pretty bad, especially in comparison to how it is now.

The desk itself was also beat to poo poo, both from having to move it across the state in the back of a pickup (don't ever do that), and from general wear and tear over the course of 10 years.

Edit: For cable management, I used the cage-style tray and tower holder, and their plastic tubing you can see going up from the sub. The tray is especially nice in that you can weave the cabling through it to keep it organized.

monoptic fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 4, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dominoes posted:

The IPS Ultrasharps are much better than the TN screens 90% of people use.

The IPS Ultrasharps are included in the grainy anti glare film issue.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

AH In-plane switching, anti glare with hard coat 3H

God help me I hate this stuff.

Does anyone know whether any of the 21:9 monitors are just plain glossy?

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

bobua posted:

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bazanga posted:

So what's the Go-To desk for people who live in the middle of nowhere and don't have an Ikea within 8 hours of them? I'm pretty much relegated to Office Depot/Max and leftover office liquidator stores.

Uh, maybe I got a crazy mutant Dell 27" IPS panel (U2713HM) but I have no idea what you are talking about. I play FPS almost exclusively and have never noticed any input lag or response time issues. Best monitor I've ever had.

I've never used one, and maybe it's no longer an issue with current models but a year ago when I was researching Monitors there were a large number of reports of ghosting, or lag or some such thing that led to me deciding not to buy a Dell IPS. I bought a Samsung PLS and I couldn't have been happier. The first time I switched it on I was like "Holy gently caress is that what my desktop wallpaper was supposed to look like all these years?".

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I said my last picture would be a before/after for cable management. The plastic tubes and longer cables helped a lot.

Before:

After:

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 4, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dominoes posted:

I said my last picture would be a before/after for cable management. The plastic tubes and longer cables helped a lot.

Before:

After:

Isn't it sketchy to put your receiver on your sub?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't it sketchy to put your receiver on your sub?
Shouldn't be; been doing it for years. It's common to have amps sitting on bass cabinets, which put out much more vibration.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dominoes posted:

Shouldn't be; been doing it for years. It's common to have amps sitting on bass cabinets, which put out much more vibration.

Where did you get those stands that your monitors are sitting on? Looks like you have three of them?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Where did you get those stands that your monitors are sitting on? Looks like you have three of them?
Amazon. They're nice for keeping a comfortable height difference between the top/center of the monitor and the keyboard/mouse. Also lets me put things under them. Unfortunately, they've bent a bit in different ways, so they're not quite uniform.

I considered replacing them and the monitor bases with a 3-monitor stand, but all available ones are described as unstable/wobbly in reviews, and weigh a ton. The more weight I have on the desk, the slower the lift motor moves.

Any recommendations for a way to neatly store/cover the cable coils under the center monitor? In order to keep my cable setup modular, one of the black cables covers has ~6 USB extension cables in it. They connect to the back of my computer, and terminate below the center monitor, where my peripherals connect to them. I've coiled the excess cable on the peripherals, but there's still some bulk, pictured. Some of my USB devices let you use your own cable, so I just run a short cable, but most of them have a fixed cable that ends up being much too long for this situation.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 5, 2013

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!
Boom! New place! Much better workspace = Much happier me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

MasterOfDemons posted:

Boom! New place! Much better workspace = Much happier me.

What kind of press is that in the second photo?

And why do you have laundry detergent as part of your decor? :xd:

Love the high view by the way. Looks like the perfect place to work or game. :)

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 7, 2013