Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

kri kri posted:

Yes for your database. For your settings you can use the XBMC backup addon.

A quick suggestion for those of you setting up new XBMC installs or reconstructing old ones: use the XBMC Backup plugin. It's cross-platform, so whenever I need to reformat an OS (be it OS X, Windows or OpenELEC), I just quickly install XBMC and copy over the backed up userdata/addons folders and after some automatic add-on updating- voila, back to my original heavily customized setup. I can't believe I manually re-set all my custom Aeon Nox menus multiple times before realizing this. This, along with a mySQL database, Sickbeard, and the XBMC iPhone app has been superb lately.

The one only little bug that has been making me wonder is when a new episode is automatically "notified" by Sickbeard to my XBMC client, it updates fine but it doesn't display the thumbnail on the host machine for a while (anywhere from 2-6 hours?), but it will load the episode thumbnail right away on any of the other devices on the database. Anyone have any idea why this is and/or how to have it automatically display? It's barely even a bug, but it's weird having a blank thumbnail there regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I just got this on my asus tablet, knew about it since the original Xbox. Trying to figure out what all the fuss is about? Is it just :filez:?

What do you guys use it for? I can stream media from my computer using multiple different apps. Does it just organize your poo poo nicely?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Christoff posted:

So I just got this on my asus tablet, knew about it since the original Xbox. Trying to figure out what all the fuss is about? Is it just :filez:?

What do you guys use it for? I can stream media from my computer using multiple different apps. Does it just organize your poo poo nicely?

Nice user interface. Nice organization of movies, tv shows, and music with artwork, thumbnails, and posters. Lots of user customization. Runs on a wide variety of hardware platforms.

Really, it wasn't designed to be a tablet app, though you can. It was meant to be run on a device that you have connected to your TV. Most of us have our movies and TV shows copied on to network storage (PC or a NAS of some kind) and we use XBMC to play them like it's a video jukebox.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Try to teach your mother or techno-phobic roommate how to steam from Mac to Windows over the network using VLC, then try teaching them to use a properly set up XBMC install. There's a world of difference in usability and presentation.

It's getting more and more capable with time, too. My parents can use Airplay to stream cell phone videos and pictures straight to the big screen TV for all of us to watch. The add-ins extend this basic principle to other functionalities - without teaching my dad various websites, he can use the ESPN app to watch games from ESPN3, play music from Grooveshark, etc.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Christoff posted:

While there are various streaming addons as well as an option for Live TV XBMC has really been all about organizing and playing local media - legit (such as converted DVD/BD under fair use) or not. In this it is nearly unparalleled among media centers. Also note that "local" can also mean "NAS box in my house" which is also very popular.

On a mobile device? It's ok, though you have to jailbreak any iOS device to run it, and Android support is extremely device dependant (not all work, or work well, in fact the opposite is true). It's fine if you want to use it in the house to stream off your NAS, less so if you want to store stuff on it locally.

For mobile, I far prefer Plex, which is an XBMC offshoot from years back, though the mobile clients are completely different. Plex requires a local server (free, and easy to set up, also works on most NAS devices) but has a really good mobile interface and recently introduced PlexSync, which will automatically convert and sync your content for your device. It works on iOS without Jailbreaking and I use it constantly on the road.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
So I just spent a couple hours messing with mysql, switching my NAS from smb to nfs shares and having to start from scratch with the database :downs: I got it all working together now which is awesome. However the only issue I have now is that upon startup the scanning for new content has changed. Originally there would be just two scans, a 15 second scan for new movies and a 15 second scan for tv shows. Now it seems to be like 100 0.5-1 second movie scans and 100 0.5-1 second tv scans. Is xbmc treating each file as an independent scan now because it is comparing its information with the mysql database? I looked at the log file and there was no errors or anything.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Drevoak posted:

So I just spent a couple hours messing with mysql, switching my NAS from smb to nfs shares and having to start from scratch with the database :downs: I got it all working together now which is awesome. However the only issue I have now is that upon startup the scanning for new content has changed. Originally there would be just two scans, a 15 second scan for new movies and a 15 second scan for tv shows. Now it seems to be like 100 0.5-1 second movie scans and 100 0.5-1 second tv scans. Is xbmc treating each file as an independent scan now because it is comparing its information with the mysql database? I looked at the log file and there was no errors or anything.

I can't really say why it does that, but mine has always done it that way. I've never used a local library, so I didn't even realize it could have been different. So this is normal behavior.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

monkeybounce posted:

I can't really say why it does that, but mine has always done it that way. I've never used a local library, so I didn't even realize it could have been different. So this is normal behavior.

Mine too, but it scans fine as well. Pretty sure there's nothing to worry about here.

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
I've moved from a Boxee to an AD12/Synology and I've got XBMC 12.1 setup and working pretty great with my movies and TV shows. I have a large collection of Rifftrax movies, shorts, and MST3K episodes but I don't want them lumped with everything else. I'd love to have separate "categories" for each of those on the XBMC homepage. How would I got about doing something like that?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Anveo posted:

I've moved from a Boxee to an AD12/Synology and I've got XBMC 12.1 setup and working pretty great with my movies and TV shows. I have a large collection of Rifftrax movies, shorts, and MST3K episodes but I don't want them lumped with everything else. I'd love to have separate "categories" for each of those on the XBMC homepage. How would I got about doing something like that?

Unless something has changed recently, you're stuck crafting custom NFOs for them and making smart playlists for each "category".

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

EC posted:

Unless something has changed recently, you're stuck crafting custom NFOs for them and making smart playlists for each "category".

This, plus laziness, is why I keep getting asked why I have "High School Musical."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For Rifftrax I put them all in their own folder in the filesystem. Then when I added them I ignored the Movies tab, and made two playlists instead. One playlist was "Location - is - D:\Rifftrax\" and the other was "Location - is - D:\Movies\" or something to that effect. The Hyrbrid skin lets you link to playlists right on the main menu, so I do have two options for Movies and Rifftrax movies.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You can also put them into a folder called "Extras" in the movie folder and then tell xbmc not to scan that folder name. I will try to dig up the xbmc forum thread about it. To not scan your extras folders, put this in your advancedsettings file

<video>

<excludefromscan>

<regexp>-extras-</regexp>

<regexp>/Extras/</regexp>

</excludefromscan>

<excludetvshowsfromscan>

<regexp>-extras-</regexp>

<regexp>/Extras/</regexp>

</excludetvshowsfromscan>

</video>

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?
I've got a pretty vanilla Frodo setup. I've got a good amount of kids shows for my son but an obscure one I just added (that he happens to love) has no genre populated when scraped by the TVDB. Of course, this is throwing my wife for a loop as she is used to just going to TV Shows --> Genre ---> Children to find his shows. Having her go to Files and file it through the file structure has been met with dumbfounded looks and blank stares.

I tried the XBMC forums for an answer to this and everything I found was related to creating custom genres but is there an easy way that I'm just missing to update an existing show (which did scrape with artwork and episode summaries, so all of the info show be there but simply is not) with a new genre.

The show is Rescue Heroes for anyone interested. My boy is three and thinks these guys are really cool...to be a child again.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I guess my answer applies to both Anveo and Cold Old.

Or, after they're scraped and added to your library, you can edit the NFO files for each one and add in a genre of Rifftrax or Children if you have the patience to do that. I went through my library and did that with my stand-up so now I don't have to browse through my movie collection, I can just go to Genres > Stand-Up.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Cold Old posted:

I've got a pretty vanilla Frodo setup. I've got a good amount of kids shows for my son but an obscure one I just added (that he happens to love) has no genre populated when scraped by the TVDB. Of course, this is throwing my wife for a loop as she is used to just going to TV Shows --> Genre ---> Children to find his shows. Having her go to Files and file it through the file structure has been met with dumbfounded looks and blank stares.

I tried the XBMC forums for an answer to this and everything I found was related to creating custom genres but is there an easy way that I'm just missing to update an existing show (which did scrape with artwork and episode summaries, so all of the info show be there but simply is not) with a new genre.

The show is Rescue Heroes for anyone interested. My boy is three and thinks these guys are really cool...to be a child again.

Why not just go set the genre to whatever you think it should be on TheTVDB and rescrape?

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010
I got a dumb question. I have a movie that has a : (colon) in the title, and I store my files on a Windows share, so I cannot put a : in the folder name. Apparently the scraper does not pick up the title from themoviedb. I even went on the moviedb and added an alternative title without the colon, but I still cannot scrape the movie. In the log it just says:

21:16:41 T:2831117120 WARNING: No information found for item 'smb://qnap-nas/movies/Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo/Evangelion 3.33 You Can Not Redo.mkv', it won't be added to the library.

Any ideas on how I can get this to scrape correctly? I'd prefer not to do an NFO if I do not have to.

Thanks in advance!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can't you just find the video in the Files view, get info on it, and then try to scrape it that way? Then it will ask you to name the movie when it can't find the result.

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

IUG posted:

For Rifftrax I put them all in their own folder in the filesystem. Then when I added them I ignored the Movies tab, and made two playlists instead. One playlist was "Location - is - D:\Rifftrax\" and the other was "Location - is - D:\Movies\" or something to that effect. The Hyrbrid skin lets you link to playlists right on the main menu, so I do have two options for Movies and Rifftrax movies.
Rifftrax actually has an entry on the TheTVdb.com, so you _can_ rename all your Rifftrax as if it where a TV show. Season 1 for Rifftrax features, Season 2 for Rifftrax Presents, Season 3 for shorts, and Season 4 for iRiffs. I do it for everything except shorts. I don't have it in me to rename another 150+ files.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

IUG posted:

Can't you just find the video in the Files view, get info on it, and then try to scrape it that way? Then it will ask you to name the movie when it can't find the result.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried this and changed the title after clicking on "Get Movies Information" but it still won't scrape. I wonder if something is throwing off the regex. Thanks for offering the hint though; I did not even know you could scrape stuff into the library that way. No log entry either when I do that =\

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

cixelsyd posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried this and changed the title after clicking on "Get Movies Information" but it still won't scrape. I wonder if something is throwing off the regex. Thanks for offering the hint though; I did not even know you could scrape stuff into the library that way. No log entry either when I do that =\

XBMC regex patterns and the like don't matter at all if you manually lookup from the files view. Just input evangelion in the search box and pick the right movie from the results there.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Keito posted:

XBMC regex patterns and the like don't matter at all if you manually lookup from the files view. Just input evangelion in the search box and pick the right movie from the results there.

Hah, thanks! I was typing in the full name with colons at all. Just typing in the Evangelion worked. Thanks Keito and IUG!!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Frodo 12.2 is out

quote:

About a month and a half after the release of XBMC 12.1, we are happy to announce XBMC 12.2 with substantial fixes for 12.1 and 12.0 across all platforms. Fixes include:

Fixed infinite loop on addon dependencies, resolves crashing problem that arrose immediately post 12.1 launch
Numerous UPnP fixes
Memory leak fixed when XBMC is minimized
Various Raspberry Pi playback fixes and software codec support
Fixed OSX audio mixing
Fixed some audio-related crashes in Linux builds
AirPlay fixes
Bluray folder resume-bookmarks now work
Ability to scan for new content on file folders has been reimplemented
Language updates from Transifex

Fixes from 12.1 included:

XBMC now supports using OSX’s default output device for audio as well as hardware decoding with Intel GPUs in OSX
XBMC no longer hogs audio for Linux and on resume audio will continue to work in Linux
Full iPhone 5 resolution is now enabled
Volume buttons on Android devices now control Android volume, rather than XBMC volume
Volume buttons on OSX devices once again control OSX volume, rather than XBMC volume
Player optimization on the Raspberry Pi, including more efficient playback, better subtitle support, and many crash fixes
iOS 6 support on the AppleTV 2.
XBMC does not crash when listed on the AppleTV top shelf
Added support for additional Xbox 360 controller types
Broader and more intelligent support for CEC devices
Fixed problems with several addons due to broken binary read/write in our python interface
Language fixes, including 7 new languages: Albanian, Burmese, Malay, Persian (Iran), Tamil (India), Uzbek, Vietnamese
AirPlay fixes, including making discovery of XBMC more reliable on OSX
Numerous crashing and stability fixes across all platforms

For all users interested in maximum stability, we highly recommend that you update from 12.1 to 12.2. This is the XBMC you were looking for

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I was wondering why XBMC was randomly crashing in the background, thanks EC.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm still on 11, mostly because I'm lazy and it works. I've got two computers pointing to a single MySQL database, how much of a pain is it to upgrade? Are there guides that exist?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
From the OP. I just checked and it looks like the FAQ is still being kept up to date.

EC posted:

A special note about upgrading to Frodo from previous versions
XBMC Frodo has made some dramatic under the hood changes to the way XBMC works. It is highly recommended that you read through the FAQ on the XBMC wiki so you understand some of those changes. Notably, your entire artwork cache will need to be rebuilt the first time you enter your video and music library. Also, many add-ons that you may have been using simply aren't compatible with Frodo. You can see other known issues here, or read through the XBMC forum for more user issues.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hmm, that all looks super simple, as I don't have any addons to speak of and I'm not doing anything with thumbnails, so I guess I'll just backup my library, and upgrade the two instances.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FISHMANPET posted:

Hmm, that all looks super simple, as I don't have any addons to speak of and I'm not doing anything with thumbnails, so I guess I'll just backup my library, and upgrade the two instances.

One thing that will trip you up is the Recently Added list change. It used to show just the items most recently added to the library, now it shows the the items most recently created (by file date attribute). This works alright depending on how you use it, but is weird at first.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well I don't use it at all, so sounds good to me.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

EC posted:

One thing that will trip you up is the Recently Added list change. It used to show just the items most recently added to the library, now it shows the the items most recently created (by file date attribute). This works alright depending on how you use it, but is weird at first.

I'm just going to post this again since it does seem to come up a lot when talking about Frodo.

Just add the following to your advancedsettings.xml to revert back to Eden behavior.
From the v12 FAQ
code:

<videolibrary>
         <dateadded>0</dateadded>
       </videolibrary>

0 results in using the current datetime when adding a video. This is equivalent to the behaviour before introducing the dateadded feature. (Eden behavior)
1 results in prefering to use the files mtime (if it's valid) and only using the file's ctime if the mtime isn't valid. (Default frodo behavior)
2 results in using the newer datetime of the file's mtime and ctime.

Edit:
mtime = modifed time (last time content was added to the file). This would, in essence, be the last time the file was created. So when you do your fair use backups, it's the time at which you've finished making the video file.
ctime = change time (last time attributes were changed). This would be the timestamp for when you last did something to the file--moved it to a new disk, changed permissions, etc.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 3, 2013

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

I exported my stuff from the settings -> video option and re-imported it once I upgraded and it seemed to work fine. It took it a little bit to upgrade but worked otherwise. You can also use this:

http://xbmcstuff.tumblr.com/post/42137420845/upgrading-xbmc-from-eden-to-frodo-w-shared-database

HTH!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I finally got around to upgrading all my boxes from Eden to Frodo today, but having problems with the thumbnails.

It didn't seem to want to update the MySQL database, so I cleaned them all out and Imported the Library from the multi file backup I did earlier today, and with the advancedsettings.xml pointing all the machines to the MySQL database I can see all my stuff and play it back with no issues.

I looked into the log file to see if that gave any indication as to why I can't see anything and I came upon this line:

quote:

16:55:15 T:140735309906304 ERROR: Texture manager unable to load file: C:\xbmc_videodb_2013-05-04\tvshows\whatever\s10e24.tbn

It looks like everything is mapped to the backup file on the C: drive of the server. Works fine on that machine, but nothing else can see it. I'm guessing anything added to the library might work as it would be sorted out by SickBeard/Couch Potato. Should I just clear the libraries and rescan anything from my drives? Or is there a solution to tell XBMC to get the thumbs/etc from the folders where the episodes are because they'll all be in there.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

The pHo posted:

I finally got around to upgrading all my boxes from Eden to Frodo today, but having problems with the thumbnails.

It didn't seem to want to update the MySQL database, so I cleaned them all out and Imported the Library from the multi file backup I did earlier today, and with the advancedsettings.xml pointing all the machines to the MySQL database I can see all my stuff and play it back with no issues.

I looked into the log file to see if that gave any indication as to why I can't see anything and I came upon this line:

It looks like everything is mapped to the backup file on the C: drive of the server. Works fine on that machine, but nothing else can see it. I'm guessing anything added to the library might work as it would be sorted out by SickBeard/Couch Potato. Should I just clear the libraries and rescan anything from my drives? Or is there a solution to tell XBMC to get the thumbs/etc from the folders where the episodes are because they'll all be in there.

I had a similar problem after upgrading: my first unit found be fine, but the second one wouldn't find the same files. See if you can copy the textures.db file from the one that works to the other one and see if that fixes it. That seemed to do it for me. I think it's in .xbmc/userdata/Database/Textures13.db

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been using the Hybrid skin lately on my HTPC, and really like how easily it's customized. I had two problems with XBMC in general however, one I fixed by just installer a newer version of my sound driver. However my last problem may have to do with the Hybrid skin or not.

When my HTPC goes to screensaver (QLock Screensaver), when it comes back my Harmony remote isn't able to move the menus around. I'll hear the clicking like normal, but the menus don't move. The same is true for my bluetooth keyboard. It's not until I use the trackpad/mouse to move the cursor until anything can be selected.

Has anyone else experienced or fixed this problem?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It sounds like the skin might not support the mouse. I know sometimes on new install when I haven't disabled the mouse yet I get a sound and then a Red X or something on the screen. Might try that? I don't really see the point of using a mouse in xbmc any way.

Does it work in any other skin.

Hang on I might not be able to read, regardless try the confluence skin?

For people that care I am sticking with xperience1080 git version for the time being. I tried Ace I just didn't like the layout. I really wish xbmc repo supported skins mods as the xperience rainbow mod is pretty good as well.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 6, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, it's the other way around. Besides, there is a cursor when I do move the mouse. But it's after a screensaver that the key presses don't work. The fix is to move the mouse, but I don't keep the keyboard/mouse/trackpad near me when I use the HTPC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cixelsyd posted:

I had a similar problem after upgrading: my first unit found be fine, but the second one wouldn't find the same files. See if you can copy the textures.db file from the one that works to the other one and see if that fixes it. That seemed to do it for me. I think it's in .xbmc/userdata/Database/Textures13.db

It looks like something interrupted the import about 75% through so I scrapped it and did a rescan instead, everything working pretty much as normal now. Cheers for the advice anyway.

I light fires
May 12, 2001
I'm trying to import my music library of various file types, qualities and sources and having a bit of a time getting xbmc to see them in library mode. It works fine in file mode but lacks some of the finess of itunes/appletv home share that I'm used to. According to the xbmc wiki they all have to be tagged before I can use library mode which I assumed they were as itunes has had no problem seeing the metatdata associated with the files but xbmc seems to disagree. I was going to go about retagging them but wasn't sure where to start. I'm hoping there is program that operates in a similar fashion to sickbeard .

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Try out Tag & Rename. The trial should let you see what type of tags the files have, and let you copy one type to another. It won't be as hands off as Sickbeard, but it'll be pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
What are people's impressions of Trakt? I'm interested in it, but in order to push my watched status of my current library I'd be looking at writing a script to push it all out to the trakt API, and I don't know if I think it's worth the effort.