Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

SubponticatePoster posted:

They should redo the trilogy for the next gen, and make everyone romanceable regardless of gender. I predict terrible slashfic involving MaleShep and Garrus Yes, I realize this probably already exists somewhere

I didn't realize Garrus wasn't able to be romanced in ME1 until I started researching for my second playthrough - I did a straight shot to Liara my first time, which was good because otherwise I would have tried for Tali and been really disappointed. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

morcant posted:

I didn't realize Garrus wasn't able to be romanced in ME1 until I started researching for my second playthrough - I did a straight shot to Liara my first time, which was good because otherwise I would have tried for Tali and been really disappointed. :(

In ME1 he isn't, neither is Tali. Only in 2 and 3.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Manshep gets a blue lady and an immunodeficient alien girl in a suit.

Femshep can bag a blue lady, a hallucinogenic lizardman, the last member of an extinct species, and a dinobirdman.

Femshep is so loving Kirk its ridiculous.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Kibayasu posted:

In ME1 he isn't, neither is Tali. Only in 2 and 3.

Right. I know that now, but during my first playthrough - despite it being only a little over a month ago - I assumed you could romance whoever you want, since I forgot that ME1 was actually quite a bit older than I thought.

And, wait, FemShep can't romance Tali even in ME2 or 3? (I'm only talking outside Citadel.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Femshep is so loving Kirk its ridiculous.

She'd look good in a red shirt.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Femshep can bag ... the last member of an extinct species, .

Wait, Javik is a romance option? Or am I forgetting a character?

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wait, Javik is a romance option? Or am I forgetting a character?

In the Citadel DLC, if FemShep is unromanced and you don't hook up with anyone else at the party, you'll wake up next to Javik in the morning.

Happened to me when I was trying to get FemShep and James together. :mad:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

morcant posted:

In the Citadel DLC, if FemShep is unromanced and you don't hook up with anyone else at the party, you'll wake up next to Javik in the morning.

Happened to me when I was trying to get FemShep and James together. :mad:

Haha, gross.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Javik seemed to enjoy it.

"It turns out there is one thing primitives are good at." :smug:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jacob's loyalty mission in ME2 is loving terrible and stupid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rotinaj posted:

It's a really interesting premise that then proceeds to go absolutely nowhere. Jacob himself is a lot like that, it seems like in their efforts to show how "together" he was they completely closed him off personality-wise. It's really difficult to talk to him because every other line is,"I really don't have anything personal to say," or,"Let's do this later, I don't feel a need to share."

I just finished Lair of the Shadow Broker for the first time, loved reading everybody's dossiers (Miranda's starts off hilariously and ends up :qq:) but Jacob's is seriously just hey this dude sure does exercise a lot. Even the Shadow Broker can't find anything more interesting about him than a letter from his far more interesting father.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It's a really interesting premise that then proceeds to go absolutely nowhere. Jacob himself is a lot like that, it seems like in their efforts to show how "together" he was they completely closed him off personality-wise. It's really difficult to talk to him because every other line is,"I really don't have anything personal to say," or,"Let's do this later, I don't feel a need to share."

I thought he was decently interesting in the opening of ME2, but after that he was just the guy hanging out in my weapons room that never had anything interesting to say. The loyalty mission - that was the one with the dumb-fruit and the crashed spaceship, right? It started off interesting, but seemed sort of slapdash. So, guy, you've got a harem but two feet into the woods at any given point in time is a whole herd of dudes wanting to stomp your face in. Okay.

He was so bland I put him in the tunnels in the end mission after Miranda said he'd suck at that. Which he did. :haw:

(I'm willing to bet asking about having him around for ME3/Citadel gives much the same response as asking about Kaidan/Ashley.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

About the best thing about Jacob's appearance in Citadel is the scene where James puts himself into an incredibly stupid (but hilarious) argument with a bunch of incredibly powerful biotics, arguing that biotics aren't poo poo, and then gets into a push-up contest with Jacob and loses because Kasumi is sitting on his (James') back. Even there, the fun really comes from the other people in the scene.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

rotinaj posted:

I thought it was all right, it's just completely unconnected from Jacob. If you didn't bring him along, the mission would not get any worse or make any less sense, and it really doesn't do anything for his character. It does have Lee Everett from The Walking Dead though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

StashAugustine posted:

I thought it was all right, it's just completely unconnected from Jacob. If you didn't bring him along, the mission would not get any worse or make any less sense, and it really doesn't do anything for his character. It does have Lee Everett from The Walking Dead though.

Jacob's dad would've been a much better character to have on your team than Jacob himself. Jacob is the worst most boring character, and worse off he's the only love interest that will straight up leave you and knock somebody else up while you're locked up in the Alliance stockade.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

1st AD posted:

Jacob's dad would've been a much better character to have on your team than Jacob himself. Jacob is the worst most boring character, and worse off he's the only love interest that will straight up leave you and knock somebody else up while you're locked up in the Alliance stockade.

His dossier could read something like "Morally flexible merchant mariner, emotionally distant" and his loyalty mission would either letting him leave the ship for a harem on an uncharted planet (Paragon), or allowing him to bring his harem onboard (Renegade).

Honestly, it'd be hard to have a non-boring character who's interesting to be around at the same time, that's why pretty much everyone in the squad is all hosed up. If people really wanted normal then Bioware would have made the Csec guy standing around the Wards in ME1 recruitable. That's not to say that Jacob isn't boring, they just forgot to make up for his relative lack of angst with a more interesting personality, like they did with Vega.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 30, 2013

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

1st AD posted:

I used to feel differently about Jacob, but for some reason, he's wearing on me during this runthrough. He never says anything interesting, he's never doing anything but mildly pissing off new members of my team, he's not great in combat(Admittedly because I've been leaning very heavily on using squadmate powers and sniping, this runthrough, and his powers suck) and he's just kinda a tool.

The loyalty mission revisited is the last straw. See, I've been pretty much exclusively doing loyalty missions yesterday and today. Everybody's has some sort of unique thing to it. Thane's has the whole following the Turian mechanic, Garrus's has the interrogation, Tali's has the trial, Kasumi's... Well, that one just ruled. Zaeed's was underwhelming, but it was the first loyalty mission I did, so it established my headcanon of "Shep will go out of her way to save people" for this run. Miranda's one at least had that fun battle at the end with the three paths.

Jacob's is just "Go down to a planet, shoot a bunch of guys who stand no chance, explode a YMIR mech and then call Jacob's dad a toolbag".

Boring. And I remember being frustrated by Grunt's, and Mordin's didn't have much but the chance to see Wrex again. I think I've now done all the fun loyalties. :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

It does have Lee Everett from The Walking Dead though.

Played by the guy that does the hulu voiceovers, no less!

rotinaj posted:

call Jacob's dad a toolbag".

Boring.

Um...I feel like you might have missed one of the more interesting outcomes to that mission...

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Der Luftwaffle posted:

His dossier could read something like "Morally flexible merchant mariner, emotionally distant" and his loyalty mission would either letting him leave the ship for a harem on an uncharted planet (Paragon), or allowing him to bring his harem onboard (Renegade).

Um, that's loving gross? Thanks, but I'd rather not give the player the option to have Shepard become an accomplice in rape and sex slavery.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VirtualStranger posted:

Um, that's loving gross? Thanks, but I'd rather not give the player the option to have Shepard become an accomplice in rape and sex slavery.

It wouldn't be *rape* rape. The women would just be in a very vulnerable emotional condition. I'm sure they'd all really come to appreciate you after a while.

You know, like Jack eventually did.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

rotinaj posted:

Jacob's is just "Go down to a planet, shoot a bunch of guys who stand no chance, explode a YMIR mech and then call Jacob's dad a toolbag".

The neutral ending is the best for that mission.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Drifter posted:

It wouldn't be *rape* rape. The women would just be in a very vulnerable emotional condition. I'm sure they'd all really come to appreciate you after a while.

:stare:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drifter posted:

On an unrelated note, I think this is the first gif I ever made, captured frame by frame during gameplay with a lovely old screencap program with frames carefully cut out to avoid texture pop-up. I can't believe it came out as well as it did. :)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
"Rape" rape. As opposed to "RAPE!!" rape. Grape ape.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Femshep can bag a blue lady, a hallucinogenic lizardman, the last member of an extinct species, and a dinobirdman.

Liara, Thane, Javik, and Garrus?

Guess who's missing :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

"Rape" rape. As opposed to "RAPE!!" rape. Grape ape.

The Grapist.

And you guys are silly if you can't read the facetiousness of my previous statement. I was pointing out how it's been close enough done by Bioware already, in ME or especially in SWToR. Sillies.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 1, 2013

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Chasiubao posted:

Liara, Thane, Javik, and Garrus?

Guess who's missing :v:
Several people, actually :huh: I'm surprised Shepard doesn't just start humping people's legs in every cutscene.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

The neutral ending is the best for that mission.

Is that the one where Jacob hands his dad a gun to use to kill himself?

If so, I agree. If not, I agree less.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is that the one where Jacob hands his dad a gun to use to kill himself?

If so, I agree. If not, I agree less.

No, neutral is letting the crazies kill him

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

They should redo the trilogy for the next gen, and make everyone romanceable regardless of gender. I predict terrible slashfic involving MaleShep and Garrus Yes, I realize this probably already exists somewhere

I want this, but I want matchmaking more.

"So Jacob, about Kasumi..."

Garrus/Tali early? And you'd have to throw in at least one hilariously ridiculous possible pairing, like Jack/Grunt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Something I loved about Citadel is that Grunt has a big ol' crush on Liara :3:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

rotinaj posted:

How did they get thermal clip guns anyway? :can:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Jerusalem posted:

Something I loved about Citadel is that Grunt has a big ol' crush on Liara :3:

Hey guys, remember when the first scraps of info about ME2 were coming out and everyone was all "who the gently caress is this guy, where's Wrex" about Grunt?

Awesome how our baby brogan turned it around and won everyone over, huh?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sentinel Red posted:

Awesome how our baby brogan turned it around and won everyone over, huh?

He's another one I liked a lot less on my second playthrough. Dude comes off as psychotic. I was very disappointed. In general, I liked everyone less the second time through except Miranda and Kasumi, who I liked more, and Samara and Zaeed, who I liked the same. Garrus no longer felt like a space bro. Grunt was psycho. Jacob boring. Jack was still a huge bitch, but this time I NSA'd her.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Burning Mustache posted:

How did they get thermal clip guns anyway? :can:

They should never have done that in-universe. I prefer the clip system in both gampelay and lore, but calling attention to it in the Codex just raises too many questions.

LMD
Sep 21, 2012

rotinaj posted:

I hate Jacob with wild abandon.. I wish I could have left that twat to get torn apart by the 'hunters' and taken his pimped out dad for the suicide mission.

Special powers 'indoctrinated love missle' and 'make them eat toxic muck' would have been quite useful against that retarded human reaper larvae.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody remember this piece of fanart that came out shortly after Mass Effect 2 did? I've never quite been sure if Jacob's absence is due to racism, the artist disliking the character or (my personal favorite) the artist just plain forgetting Jacob existed.

Kasumi's not there either but this predates her DLC.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No Legion, either. At least they got Shep, right. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

At least they got Shep, right. :colbert: