Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
We had one PP unit when we went to the disabled festival in Philly. We used it once and it screwed up the line rotation for the rest of the game. I would have thought that we could have spent a practice or two learning special teams basics so we all could have played but then again I'm not in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

D C posted:

Wouldnt guys who cant skate NOT want to be on the ice in a PK situation?

I cringe so hard when that happens.

This exactly. We're not tryhards or anything, a lot of the guys just aren't confident enough that they actually want to be in special teams situations. I'd think the powerplay would be an exception but I guess not.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
We run PK lines but not PP ones. Everyone on the team understands that were in it to have fun and drink after, but we also don't want to give up free goals by having our weaker players on the floor at a disadvantage. I guess that makes us semi-tryhards?

On a different note we had a game Sunday where only 4 skaters showed up. Ironmanning a game (3 15 minute periods) is not something I'd ever like to do again if I can help it

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

Just my opinion but any team who has learn to play adults on it shouldn't really act like they're any good and should focus on having fun and getting better. But Im not really a try hard I guess

I mean, during the playoffs, we won the final, but had to play a second game because we came out of losers bracket. However, the second game was a dumb 5 minute 4v4 "mini game".

Cap'n asked if we just wanted to play for fun or play to win. I voted for play to win, even though it meant me and a few others sitting for that 5 minutes. It ended in a draw, but I was willing to sacrifice for the team if it meant the championship.

cenzo posted:

We run PK lines but not PP ones. Everyone on the team understands that were in it to have fun and drink after, but we also don't want to give up free goals by having our weaker players on the floor at a disadvantage. I guess that makes us semi-tryhards?

My team was like that too, which I guess is one reason why it was easy for me. I'm not on the PK lines, so whatever. Our PP lines are the same though because yeah, we're there to have fun.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

D C posted:

Most of the time I feel like beginner adults want to go out and play even if it's a PK. Then again, the only teams I've captained were women, and the novice women are used to getting shafted on the guys' teams and getting benched for PK regardless of comparative skill level just because the dudes will usually try to go out first so I do NOT want them having that kind of experience with us. I probably could have just done a F rotation though, because initially we had started out with wing pairs as forwards on the PK and me and the other C were undoubtedly the best forwards, so being shorthanded the whole second period meant that she and I were effectively out of the game for that entire time, which is pretty much when the goals happened.

But eh, live and learn, and everyone had fun anyway. Except my head and neck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

canuckanese posted:

This exactly. We're not tryhards or anything, a lot of the guys just aren't confident enough that they actually want to be in special teams situations. I'd think the powerplay would be an exception but I guess not.

This is a self fulfilling prophecy in my experience.

Any team that has the mentality to have special team units comes across as pretty serious. Ice time is being determined at least partially by skill. That's serious. This seriousness has at least a little if not a huge effect on players. Seeing players lose developmental ice time because they're afraid of screwing up or because they lack confidence to play in a tough situation is really sad IMO when it is meaningless beer league. That's especially true for me when it comes to the power play as its a great time to get lines working on breaking out and passing the puck more with all of the extra room.

And yeah, if you do anything but basically just roll your lines forward every game that's tryin pretty hard for beer league. Just my take but maybe were more casual than most. We just go out and play hockey with who we have that week.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
We have a thirty minute practice before every game and with only three forward lines everyone ends up playing twenty minutes or so of hockey a night on top of that. There's plenty of ice time for everyone. Sorry our player-coach called it a powerplay unit since apparently that makes us tryhards.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The instructional league just throws guys out on the ice for PP/PK. The coach will name the next line change just to keep dudes from getting confused, but they rotate through so everyone's guaranteed to get a chance on special teams.

At least at our level, it doesn't really matter how good you are. As long as you can stay in the box and not get fooled into chasing the puck carrier you're good enough for the PK, and the PP is just plain good offensive zone experience because everyone is a lot better about passing than during 5 on 5 (probably because there's less 1 on 1 pressure from the defense).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So it's 20 min + 3 20 min periods? Interesting set up, I like that idea for beginner leagues if the practice time is treated more like a practice and less like an extended boring warm up with players spilling into the ice 5-10 minutes into the "practice".

"Only" three forward lines though? Is there usually a 4th forward line at times?

And "tryhard" isnt a bad word (and if you take it as one the troll is working :ssh:). Some teams are more serious than others. If you are having fun playing then it's cool. Some people don't get it but if it works for you and your crew, more power to you.

JetsGuy posted:

Cap'n asked if we just wanted to play for fun or play to win. I voted for play to win, even though it meant me and a few others sitting for that 5 minutes. It ended in a draw, but I was willing to sacrifice for the team if it meant the championship.

I understand this a lot more given that it's only 5 minutes of a championship game.. With only 5 minutes though how were you not changing 3x (or 2x assuming stoppages + running clock) to get everyone in the game? ;)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Are learn to skate classes out of the question?

Yeah, I think he needs to be four or five before learn-to-skate. I think I'm just going to drop some coin on a helmet and start taking him to the rink. Maybe he can hang out with mom and watch dad skate for a bit until he gets the urge to get on the ice.

--

Re: power plays. To be honest, I think the only time set PP/PK lines make sense are when you're in an elimination situation. In that case, everyone benefits from extending the team's season. Otherwise, I know of very few people who pay to sit on the bench and watch the better players on their team take 10 minute shifts. For us, whoever takes the penalty, their corresponding position sits for the duration of the PK. In a PP situation, we roll lines as normal, aside from maybe the last two minutes if there's a one or two goal differential. This is Mid-C. YMMV.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 30, 2013

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Dangerllama posted:

So my oldest son is almost three, and he's expressed interest in skating. Having started playing when I was 21, I know approximately zero about the logistics of getting kids on the ice. The advice I've gotten so far is to buy him a helmet and let him walk around on skates for a while. This presents a few questions, not the least of which is: Is the best way really just to head to public skate and drop $10 to watch him walk around on rental skates for 20 minutes?

Anyone done this kind of thing before? I want to make sure he doesn't have a crappy time of it.

Kids will fall and the real trick isn't teaching them to skate...it's teaching them to get back up again.

I went through a ton of face-to-face, holding-both-hands with my son. This worked well until he got a bit more confident on his feet. The nice part about this approach is that you can gently adjust the amount of support you offer as he gets stronger, or switch to traditional holding hands. I also kept talking about 'springy legs' once balance was well established.

Be ready for some tears but keep it fun and keep going to open skate times. I got serious resistance leaving the house but once we got in a pattern, it became a thing that we do on Fridays and not an option. Put in some rewards like a special backpack or a hat to wear only on the ice or a special water bottle for 'skating boys'

Also, once the kids can stand/waddle on their own. It gets a bit harder. I brought a stuffed bunny out and would 'drop' him about 3 feet in front my son. I think it's critical to get new skaters to stop thinking about skating and start having fun. Another game is when the bunny got tucked into my back pocket and kids would try to 'steal-the-bunny' by chasing me slowly around the rink. We must have looked like we were having a blast because parents started asking me to teach their kids...and even a few sheepish adults.

Best of luck. It's an amazing feeling when you see them really skate for the first time.

EDIT: Completely missed the equipment portion of the post...sorry.

The skate rental at our rink was $5/session and it will take a lot more than 5 sessions to learn to skate. We hit play it again sports in town and got a set of $25 skates, something decent enough to not fall apart. No 3-4-5 year old needs CrazyLites or whatever. My son used his bike helmet and some bike kneepads until he was able to actually skate.

oddIXIbbo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 30, 2013

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

D C posted:

Yeah, at low intermediate levels (like mine), I find the PP/PK situation is usually really simple... there's always a couple of forwards who have goddamn rocket skates but can't shoot (me) so they play the PK, and a couple with great shots who can't skate, so they play the PP. Guys with balanced skillsets play either.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Topoisomerase posted:

Most of the time I feel like beginner adults want to go out and play even if it's a PK. Then again, the only teams I've captained were women, and the novice women are used to getting shafted on the guys' teams and getting benched for PK regardless of comparative skill level just because the dudes will usually try to go out first so I do NOT want them having that kind of experience with us. I probably could have just done a F rotation though, because initially we had started out with wing pairs as forwards on the PK and me and the other C were undoubtedly the best forwards, so being shorthanded the whole second period meant that she and I were effectively out of the game for that entire time, which is pretty much when the goals happened.

But eh, live and learn, and everyone had fun anyway. Except my head and neck.

Yeah, a fair amount of the time I'll sit penalty kills (or random 4-on-4 situations) because I just don't care that much and some of the guys are SO CONVINCED that they will make the big difference out there. Although if the guy in question is the type to stand motionless on the ice for 2+ minutes I may cock block.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

sellouts posted:

So it's 20 min + 3 20 min periods? Interesting set up, I like that idea for beginner leagues if the practice time is treated more like a practice and less like an extended boring warm up with players spilling into the ice 5-10 minutes into the "practice".

"Only" three forward lines though? Is there usually a 4th forward line at times?

And "tryhard" isnt a bad word (and if you take it as one the troll is working :ssh:). Some teams are more serious than others. If you are having fun playing then it's cool. Some people don't get it but if it works for you and your crew, more power to you.

Yeah the warmup/practice time is very nice. There's a few minutes of shooting around but then we'll usually spend some time working on a specific skill, forechecking and the breakout have been the priority so far.

When we have a full roster we can roll 6 D and 11 forwards, but we usually do not have a full roster for whatever reason. If we did I suppose we'd do a 5 man D rotation and 4 forward lines for simplicity's sake, or 3 centers, 4 sets of wings, and 6 D maybe?

I know it's not, I just got mildly offended because I just want to have fun, our team isn't serious at all, and no one really cares (well maybe one or two guys) that we haven't won a game and we don't score very many goals. Everyone wants to have fun, everyone's having fun, we just happen to have special teams because that's what the coach wanted to do. I felt like I was getting pounced on because of one stupid thing that I didn't even come up with.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 30, 2013

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Your team has 17 people on it :stonk:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dangerllama posted:

Yeah, but we usually only have 13-14 show up each game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Dangerllama posted:

It seems like the higher you go up in skill, the fewer players you'll have on the roster. 17 isn't uncommon for beginners leagues, but once you get up to A leagues, it seems like they only want 10 skaters. We're in basically a C league and we had around 17 for the first season or two and now we're at 14, but there's always at least 1 or 2 guys out each week. As a captain, I try to keep the roster small enough that guys get enough ice time, but large enough that I almost never need to use subs. I think 13 would be ideal and I could probably get away with 12 skaters, but finding subs for late games can be tough, which is why I like having a bit of a buffer. It also helps to have a couple guys who miss a lot games, since that effectively lets us skate with 12-13 players each week. The other reason I like having a buffer is for late cancellations or no shows where there really isn't time to find a sub.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
At least around here it's probably because there are more beginners than spots available on teams, so the lower level teams get super full.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah 17 is absurd. I mean I get it, you don't run the team or the league, but drat.

Make 11 friends on that team and go register as a team next season.

If you need help picking players just pick your PK and PP units, that'll get you close enough :v:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I think we're looking to get 15 registered, but I'm pretty consistently lobbying my captain for fewer. I think 13 skaters (three forward lines, two D) is the most a team should skate with. Any more than that and you're talking about getting ~10-15 minutes of ice time per game, max, which is just kind of :psyduck: for how much money hockey costs.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Dangerllama posted:

I think we're looking to get 15 registered, but I'm pretty consistently lobbying my captain for fewer. I think 13 skaters (three forward lines, two D) is the most a team should skate with. Any more than that and you're talking about getting ~10-15 minutes of ice time per game, max, which is just kind of :psyduck: for how much money hockey costs.

What is considered a good amount of ice time for a forward or defense in a 45 minute game (3 15-minute periods)? That's always been hard for me to gauge, since I'm a goalie and don't skate out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Running with two D only? Do they ever get a break, at all? I'd think I'd want at least 3 D so dudes can get a squirt of water and catch their breath. Though I guess that has to do with conditioning levels.. I still huff and puff a lot and am much more comfortable with 4 D.

I could see how if I had more endurance endless shifts wouldn't be a problem.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Went to a Stick and Puck this evening to work on my puck handling. It was fun but a little disjointed since there were so many different things happening on the ice at once (a few coaches working with some of the pee-wee/junior players and a couple of guys from the A/B leagues practicing etc). Still enjoyed it quite a bit. One of the kids there was talking with a coach about the playing he did during this year in juniors. He was all over the place, playing for teams in NC, FL and MI and some tourneys in Europe. The way he was talking about his "contract getting bought out" and being traded I thought he was at least 18-20... turns out he's 15 :stare:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

Running with two D only? Do they ever get a break, at all? I'd think I'd want at least 3 D so dudes can get a squirt of water and catch their breath. Though I guess that has to do with conditioning levels.. I still huff and puff a lot and am much more comfortable with 4 D.

I could see how if I had more endurance endless shifts wouldn't be a problem.

Three sets of forward lines and two sets of defensemen.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

oddIXIbbo posted:

Kids will fall and the real trick isn't teaching them to skate...it's teaching them to get back up again.

This is all pretty good advice. I might recommend hip pads or hockey pants too. If your knees, elbows and hips are padded there's not a lot to hurt.

I don't have a ton of experience with little kids but I've helped out at our "Girls try hockey free" day for four sessions and a lot of the real young kids are just kinda terrified. Their first adjustment is learning how to just stand up.

Is a three year old young enough to carry? You might pick him up a little and skate with him just so he gets used to things. That might terrify him, I dunno.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

Went to a Stick and Puck this evening to work on my puck handling. It was fun but a little disjointed since there were so many different things happening on the ice at once (a few coaches working with some of the pee-wee/junior players and a couple of guys from the A/B leagues practicing etc). Still enjoyed it quite a bit. One of the kids there was talking with a coach about the playing he did during this year in juniors. He was all over the place, playing for teams in NC, FL and MI and some tourneys in Europe. The way he was talking about his "contract getting bought out" and being traded I thought he was at least 18-20... turns out he's 15 :stare:

Hah we keep ending up at the same skates, but I didn't see you. I wanted to shoot around and work up a good sweat. Its hectic with all the mini coaching sessions going on out there, but I never really got to go to stick and pucks back home so Ill take what I can get. I'm sad my new stick wasn't delivered yet, so Ill have to wait till the stick and puck Saturday to get it out on the ice.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

canuckanese posted:

Yeah, but we usually only have 13-14 show up each game.

You should be so lucky.

Our beginners team had a total of maybe 14 skaters in the practices. When games rolled around, we went from 12 to 10 skaters. Not including goalie, of course. In the second to last game I got injured, and in the last game someone else got injured. I don't know how our team managed to play 3 15 minute periods. That's 22min of ice time per game. For never-evers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So that's the pattern then? Week one you get a full bench of 15 or more, and by the end of the season you're down to scraping by with 10? Because that's how my LTP season went.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

My first team is saying that we have 12 "active players" and 2 that should alternate play and be ready to fill in from our 8 man sub list. Goalies don't count. I think it's going to be 4 D and 8 Forwards.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Doctor Butts posted:

You should be so lucky.

Our beginners team had a total of maybe 14 skaters in the practices. When games rolled around, we went from 12 to 10 skaters. Not including goalie, of course. In the second to last game I got injured, and in the last game someone else got injured. I don't know how our team managed to play 3 15 minute periods. That's 22min of ice time per game. For never-evers.

When I started out, I played in a couple of leagues with real turnout problems (like "breathe a sigh of relief if you have 9 skaters" type problems), so I guess my expectations from the beginning have always been that I'll get about that much time, if not more. In the league where I played D, I don't think I played a single game with 2 full lines on defense, it was 3-man rotation all the way.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
A compressor at the icehouse broke, and took out another one on it's way out.

:cry:

And they're doing repairs to the other rink...

NO HOCKEY FOR A FEW DAYS WHAT SHALL I DO?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JetsGuy posted:

A compressor at the icehouse broke, and took out another one on it's way out.

:cry:

And they're doing repairs to the other rink...

NO HOCKEY FOR A FEW DAYS WHAT SHALL I DO?

Thank god for the NHL playoffs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You have another rink in the area, right?

If not, why do you live there?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

You have another rink in the area, right?

If not, why do you live there?

There's one in Decatur, which is a bit of a drive from me... and one sheet.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Sounds like you guys need the services of Hockles Professional Ringers(TM).

Dial 330-241-BORK for more info.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Dangerllama posted:

Assuming a fixed cost per team per season, the amount of money you pay is inversely proportional to the number players, as is the the amount of ice time you get. Therefore, the amount of money you pay is directly proportional to the amount of ice time you get.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think its time for new inline skates. The money I would spend on new wheels/bearings/laces would end up just giving me an old beat up pair of skates with nice wheels when I could be that much closer to a new pair that has those things and isn't falling apart. Luckily inline uses such light pucks, if it were a regulation ice puck blocking a shot might take my entire toe cap right off.

Here Bauer, have more of my money, please.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

coldwind posted:

Assuming a fixed cost per team per season, the amount of money you pay is inversely proportional to the number players, as is the the amount of ice time you get. Therefore, the amount of money you pay is directly proportional to the amount of ice time you get.

Diminishing marginal value on investment, yo. As ice time becomes more scarce - on the margin - it becomes more valuable. As money becomes less scarce on the margin (i.e. when a team carries more players) the decreased fee share becomes less valuable. Hence why no one ever talks about how stoked they are to save that $12 in league fees by picking up that 20th man.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CAHA 2013 trip report: Better than last year.

Instead of getting murdered by sandbagging teams in 3 straight games, we went 1-1-1.

1. Shootout loss. I popped the water bottle with a shorty to take the lead, then we gave up the GTG with like 2 minutes left. Lost in a 6-man shootout. FIRST EVER CAHA POINT FOR US!
2. Blowout 7-1 loss. Sandbagging fucks from LA. They had 2 goals scored against them all tournament. sellouts, they're called 10-Minute Window. Ever hear of them? They had a mirrored visor on their team which our captain made sure to get a slashing penalty against with a minute left in the game.
3. Shootout win. I scored the go-ahead goal twice, but we ended up giving up the GTG with 2 minutes left again. Won in a 5-man shootout.

Didn't make it out of the round robin, but we drank a poo poo-ton and got to catch most of the games from Topo's womens teams.

Most importantly, however, I tested out a new bumblebee stick tape job: red and yellow. I scored 50% of my team's goals, so I'd consider it a success and highly recommend it.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yep. They play at Anaheim Ice in their Bronze East division. That's upper bronze there. They have a beginner league (5 clinics then 20 games) then the 2 bronze levels. Then 2 silvers and a gold and an over 35 elite league. They roll pretty hard there, only losing 3 games out of 21 in their league and finishing in second place.

And cool move by your captain giving a slash with a minute left in the game. Way to man up :v:

We won 4-3 in 4v4 playoffs last night after being up 2-0 in the 3rd and going down 3-2. Felt pretty good to score the go ahead goal and silence their annoying (but having a good time!) fans. Only one busted open lip from our defenseman and a bruise under my jaw from being butt ended during a faceoff.

Also we've never had a sandbagging problem with my pond hockey teams, there's just never been a division low enough for us to play in :smug:

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 2, 2013