Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Injustice: Gods Among Us 16

The way Dick is killed is kind of stupid but that makes it more tragic :smith:

I'm not finding this touching or inspiring, sadly.

However, I always loved this splash page from Maximum Carnage.

Spidey has been beat down. He's lying in the dirt, collapsed, lacking the will even to get up. When suddenly he hears a voice:

"Do you need a hand, son?"

"You look like you could use it."

EDIT to unbreak tables.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
That Injustice part was...bad. I can understand the emotion of Batman losing his son (hell it just happened very recently) but the way it was executed in Injustice made it seem, well, stupid as gently caress.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Like every other company has made gritty Superman and Batman already, so when DC does it themselves, it's just really weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not even that gritty, just kinda depressing. Dick's death was dumb but poo poo, real people have died in dumber ways. I think the entire theme of the comic is unforeseen consequences.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I can't imagine how this scene could be more poorly conveyed. Going from Dick and Damian arguing to Batman wallowing in tragedy in the space of 2 pages is the kind of pacing I'd expect from the silver age. And that death would be loving stupid if it happened to me, nevermind Batman's most experienced student/the most agile crimefighter in the DCU.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

I can't imagine how this scene could be more poorly conveyed. Going from Dick and Damian arguing to Batman wallowing in tragedy in the space of 2 pages is the kind of pacing I'd expect from the silver age.

There's more pages in the actual comic.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This just reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxzRfW3gMJA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just can't take Batman clutching his head screaming "What did you do?!" like that at all seriously. It looks so ridiculous, especially in that art style.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm not getting touched or inspired by "Nightwing gets chumped by Robin's temper tantrum, trips on a rock and dies". More of a Three Stooges vibe. If that's all it takes to kill a superhero in the Injustice universe, most of the loving JLA are gonna get taken out by a flight of slightly rickety stairs.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

JohnnyCanuck posted:

However, I always loved this splash page from Maximum Carnage.

Spidey has been beat down. He's lying in the dirt, collapsed, lacking the will even to get up. When suddenly he hears a voice:

"Do you need a hand, son?"

"You look like you could use it."

EDIT to unbreak tables.
As much as the rest of Maximum Carnage sucks elephant balls, that scene is fuckin' great.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
From what I've seen of it so far (which is basically just the scans posted in this thread), is Injustice supposed to be some kind of huge middle finger to everyone who was ever a fan of the Justice League or DC superheroes in general?

Because that's what it's coming across as so far.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

W.T. Fits posted:

From what I've seen of it so far (which is basically just the scans posted in this thread), is Injustice supposed to be some kind of huge middle finger to everyone who was ever a fan of the Justice League or DC superheroes in general?

Nah the game is actually more like a big wet sloppy kiss. The comic is just kind of crummy and weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

From what I gather, the game's plot is "Due to Lois and Metropolis getting blowed up, Superman and Wonder Woman become assholes, Batman gets real League from regular continuity to come and kick butt." The tie-in comic is just going a LONG way to get to a pretty stock end-point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, if you want you can watch the cutscenes of Injustice in one big 2 hour block on Youtube and it plays like an average direct-to-DVD DC movie, about on par with Earth-2 or Doom (that is to say a decent, if not pallid, echo of JL/JLU masked up as a "tribute" to fans of it). That said it does have the narrative wisdom to skip over all the table-setting to make the evil dystopian world a shithole and just drops the heroes into the middle of it.

The comic on the other hand, has shown me nothing but garbage.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Injustice is just a bad attempt at making back story for a dumb fighting game story. They aren't trying to piss anyone off, but oh my god is it hilarious how dumb it is.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If only Nightwing had been sensible like Batman and worn a helmet then this would never have happened.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The comic's not great but anyone trying to say the game's story is better is just... that's like saying Super Friends had better writing than JLU.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chaos Hippy posted:

I can't imagine how this scene could be more poorly conveyed. Going from Dick and Damian arguing to Batman wallowing in tragedy in the space of 2 pages is the kind of pacing I'd expect from the silver age. And that death would be loving stupid if it happened to me, nevermind Batman's most experienced student/the most agile crimefighter in the DCU.

The scene they're in the middle of is beating other guys into comas. There's like 70 years of exactly that in superhero comics and yet they still hosed it up. I'm honestly kind of impressed with how stupid it is.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
The thing that bothers me the most about it is how all the villains, who were previously rioting and basically trying to kill everyone they could get their hands on, just stop fighting. Are we seriously going to do the "Oh no! Even the bad guys know that something terrible has happened and feel Bruce's pain!" thing when they're the ones constantly trying to kill him and his family?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

The thing that bothers me the most about it is how all the villains, who were previously rioting and basically trying to kill everyone they could get their hands on, just stop fighting. Are we seriously going to do the "Oh no! Even the bad guys know that something terrible has happened and feel Bruce's pain!" thing when they're the ones constantly trying to kill him and his family?

Man I think even Killer Croc and Two-face know that it's kinda hosed up that a kid just killed his older 'brother' by accident. Plus they're probably scared shitless that if they keep fighting, Batman is gonna snap and take their head off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Well, this thread has pretty much been the catch-all thread for "things that evoke feelings beyond 'cool!' or 'rad!'" for a while.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The comic's not great but anyone trying to say the game's story is better is just... that's like saying Super Friends had better writing than JLU.

Again, compared to the average writing of a direct-to-DVD DCU movie--especially those with similar ideas like DOOM or Earth-2--it's actually about on par. It helps a lot that the VAs are either solid stalwarts of JL/JLU voice-acting or talented VAs in general.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ImpAtom posted:

I just can't take Batman clutching his head screaming "What did you do?!" like that at all seriously. It looks so ridiculous, especially in that art style.

Oh man, I kind of want that as an avatar. Crop it down to just Batman holding his head, put "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" as the text. TO PAINT!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Oh man, I kind of want that as an avatar.

Knock yourself out.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Saoshyant posted:

Knock yourself out.

Awesome, thanks! I've been meaning to ditch my red text for a while anyway.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It's not even that gritty, just kinda depressing. Dick's death was dumb but poo poo, real people have died in dumber ways. I think the entire theme of the comic is unforeseen consequences.

That's basically the premise of the last Mortal Kombat's storyline (Rayden does stuff, fucks up massively) and the game's by the same people. I'm not sure who made the outline of the comic/game's storyline in this case, though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

There's more pages in the actual comic.

Yeah, it really doesn't do the comic any favors when you take a 7-page sequence and show the first, second, fifth and seventh page.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

In Injustice the game proper it was actually done pretty ok, just a quick bit with Batman going 'no, that's not Damien killed Dick, he was the one I saw as my son', kinda out of left field but decently voiced and Batman kept his stoic 'so now I'm gonna kick Damien's rear end up and down this street' look on.

Also, Dick Grayson, world's finest acrobat.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Okay. I will give you THIS EXACT MUCH.

The inmates and the superheroes just stopping to let him do his thing? That would have been kinda touching, kinda like that scene in the second Nolan Batman movie where that big, grizzled motherfucker tosses the remote out of the window. It would even serve the plot, showing there's still some humanity in the superdicks and showing why Batman might want to protect the inmates.

But oh my god, the stuff before it belongs in the Papa Spank thread. I literally laughed out loud.

vv(Whoops, you are correct. Laughter doth not help one remember details)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 1, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^^
I think you are thinking of The Dark Knight, not the very first Batman movie.

That death is stupid and so is this derail. Here is something from the last issue of Planetary, which could also be posted here in its entirety. Pardon the tags though.

The entire last issue deals with what really happened to Ambrose, the Planetary agent with reality altering abilities who was seemingly killed in a flashback that transpired a year or two before the series. Using the newfound tech they gained from the prior issue, the team discovers that he actually locked himself in a stopped time bubble to keep himself from bleeding out.

The Drummer postulates that constructing a time machine around the area Ambrose made the time bubble in would cause it to 'burst', freeing him. However, this is not entirely a good thing...

http://imgur.com/FfnWSwx
http://imgur.com/TgkAJP4

Some time later, the Drummer tries to talk Elijah out of it one more time.

http://imgur.com/iJ0bHgI

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, let's actually try for some level of touching here to get that out of my brain. This always hit me as a particularly human sort of touching moment in a very... well, inhuman situation. It's what hooked me on Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol in the first place.

Cliff has a problem. He lost his body in a car crash. Will Magnus (creator of the Metal Men) made him a metal body, so he handled it for a while by being a superhero.

It isn't enough anymore. So while he tries to solve the physical side of this problem, Magnus gives Cliff something else to think about.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

Man I think even Killer Croc and Two-face know that it's kinda hosed up that a kid just killed his older 'brother' by accident. Plus they're probably scared shitless that if they keep fighting, Batman is gonna snap and take their head off.
Speaking of Batman, have there ever been any modernish what if, one off, mini series, that explored what of Batman didn't have his one rule. Essentially he is a rich rear end Frank Castle, but still Batman/Bruce Wayne, he just kills.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

gfanikf posted:

Speaking of Batman, have there ever been any modernish what if, one off, mini series, that explored what of Batman didn't have his one rule. Essentially he is a rich rear end Frank Castle, but still Batman/Bruce Wayne, he just kills.

I don't think it got it's own one off, but in one of the series that dealt with multiple Earths or whatever, there was a Batman that went the complete other way on guns and just killed all of the serious criminals and there was only a few 'super' super heroes that just helped out with disasters and such. It was painted as an idyllic place so of course it was probably casually destroyed

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

Alright, let's actually try for some level of touching here to get that out of my brain. This always hit me as a particularly human sort of touching moment in a very... well, inhuman situation. It's what hooked me on Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol in the first place.

Cliff has a problem. He lost his body in a car crash. Will Magnus (creator of the Metal Men) made him a metal body, so he handled it for a while by being a superhero.
It isn't enough anymore. So while he tries to solve the physical side of this problem, Magnus gives Cliff something else to think about.

I spoke to Grant Morrison about how I think that the relationship between Cliff and Crazy Jane is one of the purest expressions of love in comics. You could post so many of the moments in their relationship here, and make a little bit happier, and a little bit sadder the lives of so many strangers.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

gfanikf posted:

I seem to remember Countdown had a segment where Red Hood found a world where Batman went into Frank Castle mode after the Death in the Family situation. But I barely read that series, so I don't know the details.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

Uhh...there's the Vampire Batman trilogy (Moench/Jones) where he Vampire Kills everybody.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

I seem to remember Countdown had a segment where Red Hood found a world where Batman went into Frank Castle mode after the Death in the Family situation. But I barely read that series, so I don't know the details.
I still wish you had done your Countdown in Reverse articles.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Gavok posted:

Yeah, that's the thing I was talking about. I forget if that particular Earth got annihlated or not, but I know one or two did.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Atmus posted:

Yeah, that's the thing I was talking about. I forget if that particular Earth got annihlated or not, but I know one or two did.

Was earth-51, the earth under Nix Uotan watch. It was a paradise since the crime was erradicated but it was also the weakest against invasions, so when Monarch showed up everything went to poo poo.

In my opinion it was the stronger arc of Countdown since it finally gave some closure and character development to Jason (he got the Red Robin persona there), making him realize that Bruce going all Punisher on his foes it would killed his spirit. Sadly they toss everything to the trashcan and the universe was wiped out by Monarch and Superboy Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Injustice: Gods Among Us 17

Selina is asked by Superman to check on Batman after Dick's death

'Goofy' art aside, I think is a great moment for Selina :unsmith: