Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Finally completed replacement of my front tire after a two day ordeal in which I pinched TWO tubes, had both a hand pump and a portable compressor fail on me, and cut my levers into the bead of the tire in several places because I forgot to lube it up. Got a third new tube and a second new tire installed without trouble. I haven't test ridden it yet but I anticipate the whole thing will explode on the freeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Replaced clutch fluid and oil that both looked like stoners' lungs. Thanks Z3n and MotoMind for the help. :) Bike runs far better than before; the clutch action and acceleration are both loving smooth.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Guys, I have an addiction to buying parts for my bike. WP Competition 4618 rear shock.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

08 600RR rear shock into the 675.

BlackMK4 posted:

Guys, I have an addiction to buying parts for my bike. WP Competition 4618 rear shock.
You even get a chance to test the last one?

What did I do today, sold a "spare" track bike I had taking up space in the garage to a friend in need of a bike. Now we're trying to find a trackday because it's been too drat long.
Don't feel back MK4 I put a max of 50 miles on the bike I sold...all around my house. Poor thing never saw the track after I finished it.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 30, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Would shoot that ray gun.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

You even get a chance to test the last one?

What did I do today, sold a "spare" track bike I had taking up space in the garage to a friend in need of a bike. Now we're trying to find a trackday because it's been too drat long.
Don't feel back MK4 I put a max of 50 miles on the bike I sold...all around my house. Poor thing never saw the track after I finished it.

I put two trackdays and 4k miles on the 600RR rear shock. :v: I kinda ride a lot.

Sagebrush posted:

Would shoot that ray gun.
Hahaha, my dad did the same poo poo when he saw it. Picks it up and goes "Pew pew".

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 30, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

Replaced clutch fluid and oil that both looked like stoners' lungs. Thanks Z3n and MotoMind for the help. :) Bike runs far better than before; the clutch action and acceleration are both loving smooth.

This inspired me to investigate my clutch fluid rather than being lazy and assuming my bike had an impossible clutch to learn. Turns out the fluid was black! Rides a great deal better now, the clutch take-up isn't just at the last 10mm of lever travel. Hooray!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

also:
I can't get this vid to embed... I'll upload to youtube later.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-V_wVLR67bzc/UX8zeYRongI/AAAAAAAAW1I/JZ11x8HlO7I/w1035-h582-o/TRIM_20130422_180922.mp4

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 30, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

I put two trackdays and 4k miles on the 600RR rear shock. :v: I kinda ride a lot.

Whatd you think of the cbr shock? If my bike is straight (will find out this weekend), you wanna sell it to me? :D

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Whatd you think of the cbr shock? If my bike is straight (will find out this weekend), you wanna sell it to me? :D

It felt better than the stock shock, but the spring was too much for my weight (165lb) and it put a lot of movement through the bike over bumps but never enough to shoot my rear end off the seat. This new shock is like buttttterrr - pretty crazy. I'll mail the shock to you along with the bolts and washers you need for the price of shipping if you want to try it out. :)

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Finally got the yard sale over with and now have full access to the garage for the first time since moving!

Saturday I got the battery on the 82' CB900C charged and the bike started and even went for a short ride.

Monday I got the bike legal after a hour at the DMV getting all the tags ready for 2013-2014.

I was going to ride to work today but the fog was just to thick at 05:30 this morning.

Lots of crap to do on this bike in the comming weeks.

#1 Bike falls on its face when taking off from a stop, choke helps so I need to clean the carbs again and make sure the accelerator pump is working..

#2 Forks leaking.... Going to strip them down and do a cleaning and inspect the forks.. I have had them chaneged twice and they start leaking in a week or two every time..

#3 Brakes, new pads front and rear along with a new speedo cable. they are sitting in a box somewhere.....

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

It felt better than the stock shock, but the spring was too much for my weight (165lb) and it put a lot of movement through the bike over bumps but never enough to shoot my rear end off the seat. This new shock is like buttttterrr - pretty crazy. I'll mail the shock to you along with the bolts and washers you need for the price of shipping if you want to try it out. :)

Thanks! I'll drop you a PM once I figure out what is up with the bike. :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Joined the AMA; the membership cards arrived today. I think it's cool how in all the photos in their marketing material everyone is wearing at least full-face helmet and a proper jacket -- even the guys on bagger Harleys. This feels like a good organization to be a part of, compared to, say, ABATE.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Pretty sure the AMA is also all about freedom with respect to helmets.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a big list in the membership package that lists about twenty different political issues they focus on, and repealing helmet laws isn't one of them. There are certainly going to be people in the organization who think that way, but it doesn't seem to be a huge priority of theirs. Most of their political causes seem to be pretty good, like fighting against motorcycle-only checkpoints and insurance blacklists, allowing filtering and motorcycle HOV access, and trying to keep racetracks and public dirt bike trails open.

They also "oppose ethanol-based fuels until they can be proven safe for motorcycles." :911:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Had a butt-clenching 10 mile ride home from work yesterday. Everything was fine on the way there, but on the way back, my front wheel seemed to be shuddering, and it only got worse as I got closer to home. I eventually stopped two miles from my house because the shuddering had gotten so violent and noticeable (relatively, the bike wasnt trying to buck me off or anything) that I was legitimately worried about my front end falling apart, so I had my dad give me a lift back. The axle and all the fork pinchers are still tight, and now I'm not sure what to check.

I'll be taking the wheel off tomorrow to make sure something internal didn't munch itself somehow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AncientTV posted:

Had a butt-clenching 10 mile ride home from work yesterday. Everything was fine on the way there, but on the way back, my front wheel seemed to be shuddering, and it only got worse as I got closer to home. I eventually stopped two miles from my house because the shuddering had gotten so violent and noticeable (relatively, the bike wasnt trying to buck me off or anything) that I was legitimately worried about my front end falling apart, so I had my dad give me a lift back. The axle and all the fork pinchers are still tight, and now I'm not sure what to check.

I'll be taking the wheel off tomorrow to make sure something internal didn't munch itself somehow.

Check to see if you still have balance weights on your rim.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wheel bearings?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
That sucks, check the tire over.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

There's a big list in the membership package that lists about twenty different political issues they focus on, and repealing helmet laws isn't one of them. There are certainly going to be people in the organization who think that way, but it doesn't seem to be a huge priority of theirs. Most of their political causes seem to be pretty good, like fighting against motorcycle-only checkpoints and insurance blacklists, allowing filtering and motorcycle HOV access, and trying to keep racetracks and public dirt bike trails open.

They also "oppose ethanol-based fuels until they can be proven safe for motorcycles." :911:

There was an article posted around here recently that quoted an AMA spokesperson saying they oppose mandatory helmet laws.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

There was an article posted around here recently that quoted an AMA spokesperson saying they oppose mandatory helmet laws.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/PositionStatements/VoluntaryHelmetUse.aspx

quote:

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), as part of a comprehensive motorcycle safety program to help reduce injuries and fatalities in the event of a motorcycle crash, strongly encourages the use of personal protective equipment, including gloves, sturdy footwear and a properly fitted motorcycle helmet certified by its manufacturer to meet the DOT standard.

The AMA believes that adults should have the right to voluntarily decide when to wear a helmet. The AMA does not oppose laws requiring helmets for minor motorcycle operators and passengers.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Well until you guys get a first world healthcare system, I'd say you've really got no reason to require helmets. Here in Canuckistan, and in other parts of the civilized world, it totally makes sense.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

That is my stance on it as well. I am aware it saves lives, I am aware our hosed up healthcare system means the state still funds quite a bit of cleaning these people off the road and burying them. I am aware it leaves children without their idiot parents.

Mandatory for minors who haven't had the chance to do their own research, or may otherwise go without because of cheap rear end parents. Legal for adults who should know better but choose not to. I have no interest in laws that protect people from themselves.

Feel the same way about seatbelts. Though personally I wear seatbelts and full face helmets and would regardless of laws on the books that allow for holiday weeekend road blocks and other such selective enforcement.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Set my AFV maximum to 90, minimum to 110, and took a ride. Oops, that won't work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Set my AFV maximum to 90, minimum to 110, and took a ride. Oops, that won't work.

Out of curiosity, is there an actual problem you're trying to solve or is this just a hobby? It seems like you've been loving around with your bike's AFR for even longer than I've been loving around with my rebuild.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I WAS trying to tune out a ping I could easily reproduce without throwing money at dyno tuning, but it turns out I was sort of chasing a ghost - the ping was solved by retarding the timing; the factory setting is... apparently optimistic? I'm pretty happy I didn't succumb to the dyno's siren song on that.

I've pretty much finished up the datalog tuning adjustments to reduce decel popping. Without wideband o2 sensors and dyno time (I'll save that for the 1250 kit) it takes several iterative sessions of donging around, analyzing, remapping, repeat - limited by my laptop's battery which the datalogging chews up. The proof that I did it right is unlocking the AFV and it not drifting more than a couple points. Stupid me inverted the min and max values on yesterday's shakedown, so it was time wasted (if you can consider donging around on a Buell time wasted).

And yeah, it's sort of a sperg-hobby. I really cannot resist monkeying with poo poo I shouldn't be.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

clutchpuck posted:

And yeah, it's sort of a sperg-hobby. I really cannot resist monkeying with poo poo I shouldn't be.

This is why I bought a Subaru dad-mobile and refuse to tinker with it (beyond having thrown on a lightbar). I would love to throw on some taller stiffer springs on it, and then maybe upgrade the shocks, and then maybe drop the subframe a little bit to get better CV angles, and then get a set of five wheels+yokohama geolanders, but eventually down that road my girlfriend's yelling at me for having pawned her engagement ring to buy/swap in a crate H6, and that road ends with suffering.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Backov posted:

Well until you guys get a first world healthcare system, I'd say you've really got no reason to require helmets. Here in Canuckistan, and in other parts of the civilized world, it totally makes sense.
I live in a first-world state in the Union. We're about to go single-payer. The rest of this place, AMA included, is about on the level of Somalia if you ask me.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

AncientTV posted:

Wheel wobblies

So, yeah, found out what was wrong.

Took off my wheel to find...

the right bearing looking disastrous, but still functional at least. However, the left one decided to lose some weight:

:catstare:

Suffice to say, some All Balls have been ordered. Jesus Christ, can you say paranoid rechecking of all chassis bearings.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

hosed with the carb some more. Lowered the float level to ~spec and turned the pilot screw out another turn and it starts properly now! :toot: This is super basic poo poo but I have never touched nor learned about carbs before now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

AncientTV posted:

Suffice to say, some All Balls have been ordered. Jesus Christ, can you say paranoid rechecking of all chassis bearings.
Ugh.

Just an FYI, All the "All Balls" bearings I have seen are cheaper than hell Chinese bearings. Only really nice thing about them is their website and their selection tool which makes it super easy if you don't have the originals out.

Not that just because Chinese=Bad, but I'd still buy from the big boys (SKF, NTN, FAG, etc) for my personal stuff.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 2, 2013

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I was SO pissed when I ordered All Balls for my steering head and got INDIAN bearings drowning in cosmoline.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Huh, I thought All Balls were supposed to be nice, that explains the price I guess. Oh well, I'm not opposed to buying another set to replace these after a bit.

At least I'll get another sticker to add to my toolbox.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

I'd still buy from the big boys (SKF, NTN, FAG, etc) for my personal stuff.

Do these have FAG stamped on them anywhere? I would like to purchase FAG bearings at all opportunities.

Probably the same mental deficiency that makes me giggle every time I look at my pencil sharpener that is stamped KUM ONIT.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Do these have FAG stamped on them anywhere? I would like to purchase FAG bearings at all opportunities.

Probably the same mental deficiency that makes me giggle every time I look at my pencil sharpener that is stamped KUM ONIT.

FAG also make brake cylinders, clutch cylinders, clutch release bearings and so on. I chuckle Every. Goddamn. Time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ I was not aware of brake and clutch cylinders

They still use the name but were purchased by Schaeffler a few years back so it may come to an end eventually, but I guess the FAG name has a positive enough image in Europe for them to keep it around for the time being.

My old office used to have a great big sign that said "FAG DISTRIBUTOR" that we never put up.

Also, I recall their sales rep had some custom license plate frame made... and couldn't figure out why nobody ever used them. :downs:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

AncientTV posted:

Huh, I thought All Balls were supposed to be nice, that explains the price I guess. Oh well, I'm not opposed to buying another set to replace these after a bit.

I thought this too; I guess I'll drop my wheels and check them before the trip next month...

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

AncientTV posted:

At least I'll get another sticker to add to my toolbox.

I am glad I am not the only one who is excited when boxes come in because it means new stickers.
That said, I just had a similar experience with the rear bearings on the Buell, and all balls is what I went with, there didn't seem to be any issues that I could tell with them, and they have been great on the bike itself.

Remember, ice is your friend if you allowed someone else to put a tire on, and they get trigger happy with the impact wrench, it took a 4 foot breaker bar, and the axle packed with ice to get the rear wheel off. :geno:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ReverendCode posted:

Remember, ice is your friend if you allowed someone else to put a tire on, and they get trigger happy with the impact wrench, it took a 4 foot breaker bar, and the axle packed with ice to get the rear wheel off. :geno:

This makes me cringe. The belt is tensioned and pulleys are aligned properly by the tapered Axle on the XBs - just wrenching it down all willy-nilly is going to break something. It has a pinch bolt for a reason!

Content: I'm calling it with the fuel tuning on the Ulysses. Unlocked the AFV after my last logging ride and it fell 5 points to 95 after letting it sit in learn mode region for a few miles on the freeway. Runs great. Good enough for me.

I also took it up to Spada Lake on my lunch break this afternoon... Sultan Basin Road is so much deserted-road fun http://goo.gl/maps/RL441

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

clutchpuck posted:

I thought this too; I guess I'll drop my wheels and check them before the trip next month...

Meh, I wouldn't worry about it other than normal maintenance/checking. If they seem to fail on the early side just remember for next time :)