Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I think Lagombi is my favorite monster. I really wish I could make a super fat character and belly slide on the ice with him. :3:

I am up to lagiacrus now.:ohdear: How much tougher is he than like globul or royal ludroth? I am currently using a frozen core hammer and lvl 3-4 wroggi set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Awesome! posted:

I think Lagombi is my favorite monster. I really wish I could make a super fat character and belly slide on the ice with him. :3:

I am up to lagiacrus now.:ohdear: How much tougher is he than like globul or royal ludroth? I am currently using a frozen core hammer and lvl 3-4 wroggi set.

Bring nulberries. Pack 8 and let the supply box top you off with the 2 that should be there. Be careful about attacking him when his back glows, make sure you can always get away from him when he gets ready to emit lightning, and the rest is just keeping out of his way when he dashes around like a tweaker. The only thing that sucks about him is fighting in the water.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Fighting him in the water is actually pretty fun with a hammer once you get used to it. After he does a charge (or most of his moves, actually) he's going to wait a second before turning to face you. If you used that second to charge up a super pound, you're going to catch his big ugly face in the absurdly large radius of a super pound hit. The level 1 charge move is also pretty useful for closing distance while he's dicking around.

The Frozen Core is obscenely powerful for how early you get it so it should handle him nicely. If you find yourself coming back to farm Lagi in the future, consider bringing the Rathalos hammer (mostly because it's an awesome dragon head but also because it does fire damage.)

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
I'm super early on, but I'm going to be hopping online tonight to do some Barroth runs for the rest of the armor. Would anyone like to join?

Tried Lagoacrus last night, but one of my teammates was a small child or something, and died continuously. Looking to beef up my gear with Barroth pieces before taking him on again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I actually really like fighting barroth but I'm on the 3ds.:argh: Gonna make a hammer out of his parts as soon as I get some stupid monster bone+s.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm waiting for the Wii U to get a price drop because being stranded in singleplayer hurts.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Is that new DLC Great Sword actually any good? It has 672 raw but 600 elemental damage. It's like they took the stats for dual blades and transplanted them onto a Great Sword. :psyduck:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I discovered that if you have a full suit of gear that gives you -10 on an attribute that activates a lovely debuff, you only need to chuck one decoration on that's +1 or so for that same attribute, it will bring the number then to -9, and remove the active debuff. This is nice, because 'Doggy Paddle' on the uragaan armor was a little loving annoying.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Well that's kind of the basics of how the skill system works. Charms are best if a gem would ruin a skill on your armor.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 30, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Carecat posted:

Well that's kind of the basics of how the skill system works. Charms are best if a gem would ruin a skill on your armor.

It seems a pretty cheesy simple way to get around an armor debuff. But I'm kicking my rear end a little for not figuring this out sooner. Got through most of the LR village missions putting up with -recovery :v:

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?
After fighting Goldbeard Ceadeus an excruciating 7 or 8 times to get the materials for his armor, my friend was super-stoked that he'd finally get Sharpness +1 on an armor set. He looked at the skills, and noticed that the full set came with -10 Sharpness. No big deal, just gem it out and he's golden. The problem? All the decorations that give +1 Sharpness give -1 Handicraft.

So not only is Helios Z a pain in the rear end to get, the developers decided to just kick you in the balls while they were at it.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Hexempaler posted:

After fighting Goldbeard Ceadeus an excruciating 7 or 8 times to get the materials for his armor, my friend was super-stoked that he'd finally get Sharpness +1 on an armor set. He looked at the skills, and noticed that the full set came with -10 Sharpness. No big deal, just gem it out and he's golden. The problem? All the decorations that give +1 Sharpness give -1 Handicraft.

So not only is Helios Z a pain in the rear end to get, the developers decided to just kick you in the balls while they were at it.

Swap the pants for Helios X coil and you get rid of Blunt Edge at the cost of a socket.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Or use the Vangis belt. You lose three slots that way though, but I think of it as purchasing twice the sharpness for three slots, which I find is worth it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

When I first got to G-rank I was using the Qurupeco waist as an alternative as well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I decided to stop grinding monster parts (since I've capped about 20 G.Wroggis and still haven't gotten a single claw), and took out Uragaan and am now "ready" to fight Ceadeus.

Is it worth grinding for a new armor set if I'm this close to Hi-rank? I'm trying to get the Agnaktor armor but the rare parts are killing me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I decided to stop grinding monster parts (since I've capped about 20 G.Wroggis and still haven't gotten a single claw), and took out Uragaan and am now "ready" to fight Ceadeus.

Is it worth grinding for a new armor set if I'm this close to Hi-rank? I'm trying to get the Agnaktor armor but the rare parts are killing me.

I've plowed my way through Village high rank using a single set of low-rank armor. Really, all you need is to upgrade what armor you have using armor spheres and that should see you through a good chunk of the singleplayer game. Not all armor needs rare parts in low-rank and you'd be surprised how far a Jaggi suit can take you.

Now weapons, those I've been as diligent as possible about keeping up-to-date.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's no such thing as a G.Wroggi Claw. :confused:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ceadeus doesn't attack you enough for armor to be much of a worry. The main thing is doing enough damage before time runs out. If there's one thing I regret in the early game it was making a bunch of worthless armor. Honestly as long as you keep your weapons doing a lot of damage, you probably only need one set of armor for low rank and one for high rank. Maybe a second in HR near the end if you're really having trouble.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Laplace Demon posted:

I think he's referring to the low-rank G.Wroggi Brace, this being one of the hiccups in Ping's MH3G Dex. Ostensibly they're a 40% cap drop but as you can see he's having bad luck with it. They're also only a 24% quest reward on Toxic Troublemaker.

Who knows, he might have the parts he needs for a full Wroggi set and not realized it yet because of the error.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Laplace Demon posted:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I think that's the original name for the low-rank G.Wroggi Brace, this being one of the hiccups in Ping's MH3G Dex. Ostensibly they're a 40% cap drop but as you can see he's having bad luck with it. They're also only a 24% quest reward on Toxic Troublemaker.

...Mother fucker. I had a stack of 50 braces because I was waiting for a drat claw to drop because I thought I needed them for the Agnaktor set, and I checked Ping's app because the boots hadn't unlocked at the blacksmith yet. And I've had the Wroggi set forever, so at least I wasn't getting poisoned every Wroggi fight :downs:.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How to design a G-Rank quest.

Step 1) Take a monster that's annoying to fight under optimal circumstances.
Step 2) Throw it into the worst areas in the game.

Now that Stygian's done, I'm back to working toward unlocking Dire Miralis. Lagiacrus in the Flooded Forest. And he spent almost the entire fight in 6 and whatever the tiny little bendy area was. That was fun. Then it was Ivory Laggy and Gobul. And they would not separate. Dung bombed them both, neither went to another zone. When one left, the other followed.

Thankfully, I think all I have left is Agnaktor and then I'll be done. I know I won't beat Miralis solo, but having him unlocked will be fun! Then it's just a matter of getting some armor sets made for him and Alatreon and beating my head against them until I get lucky or until Animal Crossing hits, whichever comes first. :v:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hexempaler posted:

I'm actually kinda glad I skipped Goldbeard farming and did a mix and match set to get Sharpness +1 now. Now I'm working towards the G Deviljho set for S+1.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I have a Sharpness+3, 3 slot talisman, so my Ceadeus Z set is loving awesome. I can gem in AuL or CE+3 with certain weapons, like Dragon's Roar or the Jhen Hammer. Otherwise, I run around with evade+1 and speed sharpener on top of the regular stuff that the set has.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

For all your bitching in this thread, I can't wait until you get to Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos. You get a nice empty area with only one zone they move around and there's not much else you can do except rely on your own skills. Good luck! :unsmigghh:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I took an Azure Rathalos greatsword out for a test drive against some high rank Gigginox and a high rank Arzuros. I... I think I can get used to this :getin:

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Beat the lagiacrus! :woop: Kinda got my poo poo pushed in by Duramboros a couple of times before I learned him, but god drat he's a slog. Still gotta do it again for another quest. currently rolling Wroggi gear and Leader's Shotels, but I'm tempted to go for lagiacrus, just to rub it in my mate's face (he was the farthest of us at the time of MH3, just beat the lagiacrus (we were such scrubs)).

I think I've gotten myself stuck in a rut in that I can't switch weapons now because the monsters I'm up against are no longer forgiving enough to allow for learning the weapons. Which is sad because I've seen videos of other weapons and they look amazing.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Potsticker posted:

For all your bitching in this thread, I can't wait until you get to Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos. You get a nice empty area with only one zone they move around and there's not much else you can do except rely on your own skills. Good luck! :unsmigghh:

I've got experience with those two. I really don't think either of them is that bad, to be honest. It's probably gear, but I think Pink's way worse than Gold. Gold's at the tail end of the game, Pink's right there early on.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Konig posted:

Beat the lagiacrus! :woop: Kinda got my poo poo pushed in by Duramboros a couple of times before I learned him, but god drat he's a slog. Still gotta do it again for another quest. currently rolling Wroggi gear and Leader's Shotels, but I'm tempted to go for lagiacrus, just to rub it in my mate's face (he was the farthest of us at the time of MH3, just beat the lagiacrus (we were such scrubs)).

I think I've gotten myself stuck in a rut in that I can't switch weapons now because the monsters I'm up against are no longer forgiving enough to allow for learning the weapons. Which is sad because I've seen videos of other weapons and they look amazing.

Honestly, it's not that hard to pick up new weapons even up until the end of high rank. I picked up dual swords, hammer, and bow at the end of high rank. I don't main any of them, but I still use them when I feel they're the best option

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Konig posted:

You can always practice on weaker monsters that might have ingredients for things that may or may not be interesting to craft currently. Or just dick around in Moga free hunt.

It did take a few goes before I figured out all of the Gunlance features. And I didn't realize you could run while charging the Hammer until well into High Rank! Even a small bit of experience with another weapon can go a long way. A lot of big, fast, mean monsters are a lot less scary if you can block everything they throw at you, including their own bodies. I didn't become a DS user until after I got Dios Slicers, but they're currently my main weapon.

Also I don't think grinding for armor in low rank is very practical, as anything you make will be outpaced pretty quickly once you hit HR. Though if you're just in it for the cosmetic bling, then hunt away!

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You can always practice on weaker monsters that might have ingredients for things that may or may not be interesting to craft currently. Or just dick around in Moga free hunt.

It did take a few goes before I figured out all of the Gunlance features. And I didn't realize you could run while charging the Hammer until well into High Rank! Even a small bit of experience with another weapon can go a long way. A lot of big, fast, mean monsters are a lot less scary if you can block everything they throw at you, including their own bodies. I didn't become a DS user until after I got Dios Slicers, but they're currently my main weapon.

Also I don't think grinding for armor in low rank is very practical, as anything you make will be outpaced pretty quickly once you hit HR. Though if you're just in it for the cosmetic bling, then hunt away!

What are the divisions between low rank, high rank, and g rank? Like, the first mission or something.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Konig posted:

What are the divisions between low rank, high rank, and g rank? Like, the first mission or something.

Low/High/G rank missions are in different tabs on the quest list. LR->HR happens when you do brachydios and HR->G happens when you do goldbeard.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

Low/High/G rank missions are in different tabs on the quest list. LR->HR happens when you do brachydios and HR->G happens when you do goldbeard.

What this fellow said. Though from the sounds of it I think you're playing the Village quests (in Moga village, quests accepted at Guild Sweetheart) and those don't have G-Rank quests. Not to say this is a waste, as if you're without online play it's a good idea to have Cha-Cha and Kayamba around to help out when you go for the Guild quests.

The Guild quests, by the by, are accepted in Port Tanzia, at the Guild Receptionist. You can go there whether you have online multiplayer or not, just talk to Neko. They're tracked separately from Village quests so you'll at the very least have to blitz through the key quests if you want to get to a comparable level to where you are in the village progression.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ChibiSoma posted:

The hardest part is honestly dealing with Dios when he's enraged. Getting Power Geysered will absolutely murder you. If you have Flash Bombs/Traps with you, save them for that point to give yourself some breathing room. You'll probably be racing the clock, but keep beating your head against it. Just... maybe get into G-Rank and upgrade your gear a level or two before trying it. Trying it with HR gear is doable, but it's really hard.

That's the biggest problem for me, I'm in G Rank gear and a maxed Dios Switch Axe but every attack Ivory Lagi does just brutalizes me. Maybe I've become reckless because I just blew through all of HR due to being way overgeared. I'll have to give it another shot.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I just met my first gigginox :swoon:

The best part was that it was completely unexpected. I was doing the bloodstone gathering quest and I assumed the DANGER was a great baggi or something since giggi hasn't even come up yet. Lucky I was wearing wroggi armor.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Finally got my online problem with my WiiU solved, so I'll be hanging out in the IRC from time to time now. Just hit G rank and can't decide what armor set to try for at first.

edit: I currently have Rath Soul, was debating farming up Helios X since I think it looks :krad: but Goldbeard is a chore.

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 1, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Goldbeard isn't too bad when you have an exploding Brachy lance. Still a chore, but not quite as involved.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Awesome! posted:

I just met my first gigginox :swoon:

The best part was that it was completely unexpected. I was doing the bloodstone gathering quest and I assumed the DANGER was a great baggi or something since giggi hasn't even come up yet. Lucky I was wearing wroggi armor.

This is exactly how I met him. "oh, a gathering quest, I'll need leather gear and picks. Oh, what the hell, I'll bring some max potions and meat, you never know."

Cue the most pulse-pounding fight I've had yet, as I run out of hot drinks and have to cop on the chin every poison I get, and I end up killing him with a few minutes to spare, and frantically stagger from node to node, looking for bloodstone. It was brilliant.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Finally got my online problem with my WiiU solved, so I'll be hanging out in the IRC from time to time now. Just hit G rank and can't decide what armor set to try for at first.

edit: I currently have Rath Soul, was debating farming up Helios X since I think it looks :krad: but Goldbeard is a chore.
Helios Z is a better all around set, in my opinion. Unless you like using awaken, Sharpness+1 gets much more mileage.

Dishsoap
Dec 8, 2007
The event quest Ivory Lagiacrus does not gently caress around. I have yet to be in a group that doesn't just get instantly slaughtered by him. His stupid lightning AoEs are practically a one shot if he's enraged. Are there any strategies to taking this guy out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Bring lots of lifepowders, traps, and other useful tools. If you can, get a baller hammer that gets 2-3 KOs and 1-2 exhaustions in a match :c00lbert:
Basically, just try to make sure everybody's near or at full health all the time.
Also, join the irc and do it with goons.

• Locked thread