Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Radiapathy posted:

Yeah, it definitely looks like Push is not the workflow fix I personally was looking for. And neither are the APC units from what I can glean from the manual.

I just found out about this Vitamin L thing (warning: site is megaslow) that was published before Live 8's release, which adds mouse scrollwheel support for both panning and zooming- but I don't know if it will work in Live 8 (and I'm afraid to try it out).

So I guess for now it's back to: ++++++++ tweak -------- scroll ++++++++ tweak --------....

The zoom/scroll functions are callable from the Live API, you could probably make a Max For Live device to do what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

h_double posted:

The zoom/scroll functions are callable from the Live API, you could probably make a Max For Live device to do what you want.
If this is true I just might do exactly that. Gonna have to look at the documentation when I get home; can't find any details on the Live API from where I am.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
From http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/refpages/m4l-ref/m4l_live_object_model.html

quote:

scroll_view Parameters: direction view_name modifier_pressed
direction [int] is 0 for up, 1 for down, 2 for left, 3 for right
modifier_pressed [bool] has no effect at the moment
Not all views are scrollable, and not in all directions. Currently, only the Arranger, Detail/Clip, and Detail/DeviceChain views can be scrolled.
You can also pass an empty view_name "", which refers to the arranger or the session (whichever view is visible).

zoom_view Parameter: direction view_name modifier_pressed
direction [int] is 0 for up, 1 for down, 2 for left, 3 for right
modifier_pressed [bool] if 0 and view identifier results in arranger and direction is up or down, then only the hight of the highlighted track is changed, otherwise the height of all tracks is changed
Not all views can be zoomed, only arranger and detail clip.

There are also show_view and focus_view functions.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I'm not entirely sold on the Push. There are a lot of shortcomings that seem obvious (not being able to slice samples, preview limitations, etc.) but some of those will obviously be fixed by the mod community/ableton over time. I do like the MPC-like features, but without slicing options it feels disjointed. Even presliced rex files can't be loaded from the Push interface, for some reason.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 10, 2013

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

It's weird- when Push was first announced I sort of projected my personal wishlist for the ultimate Live controller onto it without really seeing Push for what it really is. (Mainly because the APCs and Launchpad pretty much didn't do a single thing that I would have wanted out of a Live controller.)

A few days ago I submitted a support ticket with my questions about the Push's ability to control Live, and I just got a response this morning. Their simple answer really clarified things for me.

They basically said "Push is for making music in clip view." That's it. It's not a DAW master controller, and it's not really intended for Arrangement view, which is where I live. And again, it was my fault for expecting otherwise.

I'm at peace with this, and understand now that Push simply isn't for me.

Thanks to h_double's suggestions, I'm now learning Max.

EDIT: Just bought Suite 9, sans Push. And actually it's a good thing I didn't want Push, because Ableton's saying the shipping wait is up to 16 weeks!!!

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 11, 2013

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I have always lived in arrangement view too, but I'm kind of letting Push rework my workflow in ways I think will be beneficial... i.e. generating a lot of "candidate" synth lines as clips and stuff and *then* arranging.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Along these lines, does anyone have a good (read: intuitive, efficient, whatever) way of moving from the Session view to Arrangement? I know you can capture a session performance to arrangement, but I - and it sounds like a few others here - tend to record in Session view but want to arrange and mix in Arrangement.

I guess what I'm after is a way to copy/paste the clips I make in Session over to Arrangement without having to tab back and forth between the two for every single clip.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 8, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Select everything you wanna copy over to arrangement, click and drag, then tab-switch while the mouse is still pressed. You can now place all the clips in their separate channels at once.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

colonp posted:

You can select multiple clips with shift- and control-clicking.

wayfinder posted:

Select everything you wanna copy over to arrangement, click and drag, then tab-switch while the mouse is still pressed. You can now place all the clips in their separate channels at once.

Bingo! Thanks, guys. I knew there had to be a way.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Ran into my first annoying Push problem today- recording session view to an arrangement. I mean, sure my computer is 2 feet away from me... but you know.

Anyways, 2 minutes of Google later and somebody has already hacked a script to make it record to automation.

http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=production&thread=1281&page=1

nerds posted:

PUSH SCRIPT MODS
Following are modifications to the Push MIDI Remote Script.

v1.0.2 for Live 9.0.2 - 3/26/2013
Allows Drum Mode to work on Drum Racks that are nested inside of Instrument Racks. This will apply to the first nested Drum Rack.
Allows step-sequencer input to be velocity-sensitive so that steps turned on will have the velocity that the corresponding button sent.
Fixed an issue where the clip creation via the step-sequencer wouldn't work correctly.

v1.0.3 for Live 9.0.2 - 4/1/2013
Same as v1.0.2, but also allows Shift + Record to toggle Arrangement Record.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I've recently found out about Leap Motion, and its crazy.

https://www.leapmotion.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2HFcfOwDtI

Does anyone have any leads on music developers working with this yet? This seems incredibly cool for live performance.

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 12, 2013

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
There are a couple of OSC interfaces for Leap Motion:

https://github.com/morphiccreative/leapOSC
https://github.com/odbol/LeapOSC

You can get OSC data into Live via Max For Live or Reaktor, or use LiveOSC, which hacks an OSC-to-MIDI driver into Live.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Man, I was totally looking forward to starting a new project in Live 9 tonight. Installed it, installed Max, and Max told me to reboot, which I did.

I was curious whether the Live 9 installer had messed up any of my Live 8 stuff, so I launched Live 8 to have a look.

BIG loving MISTAKE.

My computer's been doing this for the past 3 hours:

I don't know what exactly it's doing, but my computer's essentially unusable right now... even launching Paint.net to paste that screenshot took like 2 minutes.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Heya, anyone ever have trouble with Record Quantization in Live 9? I haven't gotten it to work a single time.

Edit > Record Quantization is set to "Sixteenth Note Quantization"

I'll create a new MIDI clip in Arrangement. (Sometimes the Marker Snap value sometimes defaults to 1/32, sometimes 1/16- don't know why.)

But when I record the MIDI clip and inspect the notes they are clearly not quantized- they're all over the place (depending on how sloppy my playing was).

I've looked in the Live 9 manual several times and I'm sure I'm missing something... but I don't know what?

EDIT: Whoah, check this out. It seems to have something to do with MIDI loop recording. I have "MIDI Arrangement Overdub" turned off, so Live creates multiple sub-clips in the MIDI clip whenever it loops while recording. The most recent subclip is getting quantized, but earlier clips are not. Check it out:

I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to work like this?

EDIT 2: Hmm. Maybe it IS supposed to work like this? It appears that the first clip is what you really played, and the second is the same material with quantize applied. After some experimenting it looks like I'm always ending up with at least 2 subclips if I let the loop complete at least once. This seems different from Live 8, but I'll have to go back and check.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 14, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT 2: Hmm. Maybe it IS supposed to work like this? It appears that the first clip is what you really played, and the second is the same material with quantize applied. After some experimenting it looks like I'm always ending up with at least 2 subclips if I let the loop complete at least once. This seems different from Live 8, but I'll have to go back and check.

This is correct, and is intended behavior as far as I know. It's done so that you can Undo once to yank the quantization easily.

e: I have a question. I'm finishing up a foot controller with a UMC32, and have eight channels set aside for LEDs. I need to receive MIDI notes to turn these on and off. How would I set up Live to *send* MIDI remote information based on status - for example, track mutes? I can deal either with momentary or toggle note on/note off pairs.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 15, 2013

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

This is correct, and is intended behavior as far as I know. It's done so that you can Undo once to yank the quantization easily.

e: I have a question. I'm finishing up a foot controller with a UMC32, and have eight channels set aside for LEDs. I need to receive MIDI notes to turn these on and off. How would I set up Live to *send* MIDI remote information based on status - for example, track mutes? I can deal either with momentary or toggle note on/note off pairs.
I think the thing that was really messing me up might have been Adaptive Grid. This is a feature Live 8 has too, but apparently I set my quantize settings to 1/16 notes in Live 8 ages ago and forgot about it, whereas Live 9 defaulted to quantize to the current grid- and with Adaptive Grid, that means your quantize will come out different every time, depending on how tightly you zoom the view. On Live 8 I didn't care about the grid because my quantizes always worked as I expected. But I've fixed that in Live 9 finally.

Still not completely sure if that's everything... just seemed like I was continually surprised (in a bad way) by what got recorded in Live 9 whereas in Live 8 things always seemed to record exactly how I expected. We'll see, though. It might be okay.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I haven't update to 9 yet, so can someone tell me if the audio to MIDI feature is well implemented or more of a toy? It would be a boon for me as I do a lot of generative sequences on my modular and recording the audio and then converting to MIDI not by ear/hand would be a real timesaver.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Oldstench posted:

I haven't update to 9 yet, so can someone tell me if the audio to MIDI feature is well implemented or more of a toy? It would be a boon for me as I do a lot of generative sequences on my modular and recording the audio and then converting to MIDI not by ear/hand would be a real timesaver.

Just this weekend I took a bass line and converted it to MIDI and used that to feed a vocoder. It took about 10 seconds and was pretty loving perfect. I was blown away.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

Just this weekend I took a bass line and converted it to MIDI and used that to feed a vocoder. It took about 10 seconds and was pretty loving perfect. I was blown away.

Thanks. Now to scare up $159...

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Have only toyed with it, but I can confirm that most of the people complaining that "audio to MIDI doesn't work" are smoking crack. No it can't (and isn't meant to) transcribe an entire MP3 to MIDI. But if you pass reasonably good quality audio of the desired kinds (monophonic melodies, drum loops, or standalone chorded music like guitar or piano stems) it does some impressive work.

Sometimes harmonics trick it into adding extra notes above or below the target material, but you can clean that stuff up pretty easily in the clip editor.

It's pretty cool and I even have a plan for the harmony mode in an upcoming project.

EDIT: And the UI implementation is pretty elegant. Just drag an audio clip to a MIDI track and it asks you which conversion algorithm to apply. Couldn't be easier.

Captain combat bear
Aug 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
Ok so I have been using FL studio since 2008ish but it hasn't been cutting it anymore for what I like to do and I been having problem just getting it to work and without the key for it (I was a dumbass back then and didn't keep track of thing like that) it's looking like I will have to buy a new key but I was thinking about getting Live 9 instead, thing is I don't have that much money and can only afford Intro. So I thought I'd ask if Intro is missing any key features.

Looking at this it looks like it can do what I want it to do but I just wanted to see what y'all had to say about it before I buy it just in case it's horrible or something.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Captain combat bear posted:

Ok so I have been using FL studio since 2008ish but it hasn't been cutting it anymore for what I like to do and I been having problem just getting it to work and without the key for it (I was a dumbass back then and didn't keep track of thing like that) it's looking like I will have to buy a new key but I was thinking about getting Live 9 instead, thing is I don't have that much money and can only afford Intro. So I thought I'd ask if Intro is missing any key features.

Looking at this it looks like it can do what I want it to do but I just wanted to see what y'all had to say about it before I buy it just in case it's horrible or something.
I gotta admit, of the "Key Features" listed that you don't get in Intro the only one that means anything to me is Max4Live, and I haven't even used it yet. I just know I'm going to make a device for it at some point down the road. I don't use any of the other stuff.

I also don't use any Ableton instruments other than Sampler- and I only use that for utility purposes when slicing clips; I don't use it as an instrument.

Most of the Ableton Audio Effects I use are included with Intro, and all of the MIDI Effects, which I use frequently, are included.

Only thing that could really hurt might be the track limitation. Intro's also not that great if you mostly work with external instruments. If you're mostly a plugins user, the I/O limitations don't mean much.

But it's not a bad package, really. Also, Ableton usually gives pretty good upgrade prices for when you're ready to move to Standard or Suite.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Captain combat bear posted:

Yeah I think they did a fantastic job picking out a feature set for Intro that's solidly useful for new users, yet will still give more experienced folks incentive to upgrade. In my opinion, the main limits of Intro are:

- only 2 ins / 2 outs (which means you can't really run a separate monitor/headphone mix, ergo you can't use it for live performance or DJing).

- 16 tracks x 8 session clips should be fine for small-to-medium projects.

- no built-in parametric EQ. Live's EQ8 is pretty nice but there are other free parametric EQs out there.

- no POW-r dithering for high quality downsampling from 24 -> 16 bits. There are other dithering tools out there but it's a nice convenience having this built right into the render window.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Radiapathy posted:

I gotta admit, of the "Key Features" listed that you don't get in Intro the only one that means anything to me is Max4Live, and I haven't even used it yet. I just know I'm going to make a device for it at some point down the road. I don't use any of the other stuff.

Even if you never crack open the edit window yourself, there are all kinds of cool and useful M4L devices on maxforlive.com and Ableton's own download section.

Radiapathy posted:

Only thing that could really hurt might be the track limitation. Intro's also not that great if you mostly work with external instruments. If you're mostly a plugins user, the I/O limitations don't mean much.

Yeah, again, the 2in/2out limit means you can't do much with outboard gear, but if you're just using plugins it's not a big deal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone using TouchOSC & LiveControl with Studio 9?

If I create a drum rack, populate a pad with an instrument, should LiveControl not update my iPad's display to show that same name?

Like let's say I drag Wobble Bass to E8. If I tap on the Drums section of TouchOSC on my ipad, it just shows a whole screen full of "8"s, while the instrument on my Mac obviously correctly renamed E8 to "Wobble Bass". When I hit the appropriate pad it actually updates the name in the upper right corner, but that's kind of a lousy way to find out what you're pressing.

Not a huge deal, but if I throw a bunch of stuff on there it'll be a pain in the dick to remember what's what.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Oh man. I just wasted two days mixing and re-mixing a cover song I was working on because of a bug in Live 9.0.3. (The version that Ableton yanked after a day or two due to serious bugs.) Thing is, I never installed 9.0.3. I'd gotten it as an unannounced auto-update during the short time it was available.

What kept happening was I'd get my song to the point where it was finally "demo quality", but if I quit Live and then loaded the project back up, everything sounded wrong. (Some parts way too loud, some so quiet you couldn't hear them, etc.). Turns out one of the critical issues in Live 9 is that it randomly disables VSTs in large projects. (The plugin's "power button" in the device rack is still "on" but it won't actually process any sound until you disable/re-enable it.) So every time I reloaded my project, none of my effects or EQ plugins were working.

Thankfully the 9.0.4 beta is up, and that completely fixed the problem.

I'm thinking that maybe they shouldn't roll out auto updates until they've given early adopters a chance to field test the updates for a few days. Before the 9.0.4 update came out the only way to back out of 9.0.3 was to uninstall Live and re-install 9.0.2.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
They should roll out automatic crash reporting so I don't have to mail anything to them after a crash, if they didn't do so already.

Still waiting for a new system to update/upgrade everything :(.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Any of you guys seen this yet? This is a screenshot of my dual-monitor setup. On the right monitor is a floating mixer Window for Live.

(Table-breaking original pic is here.)

It's a MaxForLive device that was just released within the past couple days. Instant access to faders. Plugin lists for every track. Toggle between I/O and Sends on a per-track basis. Currently has a maxmium of 50 displayable tracks (the project I'm showing has 55- I moved some back-burner stuff to the end of the list so all in-service tracks were available), but next update's supposed to allow more tracks.

This is like the missing piece of the puzzle for me. $9 at MaxForLive.com. There's a demo video here with a link to the download page in the About section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k24b2OTtyYQ

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I thought intro made you use 4 or less vsts total or some poo poo and like only 2 return tracks.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Rkelly posted:

I thought intro made you use 4 or less vsts total or some poo poo and like only 2 return tracks.

Only two aux sends, but no limits on VSTs.

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Radiapathy posted:

Any of you guys seen this yet? This is a screenshot of my dual-monitor setup. On the right monitor is a floating mixer Window for Live.

(Table-breaking original pic is here.)

It's a MaxForLive device that was just released within the past couple days. Instant access to faders. Plugin lists for every track. Toggle between I/O and Sends on a per-track basis. Currently has a maxmium of 50 displayable tracks (the project I'm showing has 55- I moved some back-burner stuff to the end of the list so all in-service tracks were available), but next update's supposed to allow more tracks.

This is like the missing piece of the puzzle for me. $9 at MaxForLive.com. There's a demo video here with a link to the download page in the About section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k24b2OTtyYQ
drat, that's slick as hell. I've been wanting to rig up my 42" TV to use as a 3rd monitor for a while now and this might be the thing that gives me motivation to finally do it. Now all I need is to buy a copy of Live 9 :v:. Thanks for posting that!

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember
That on that day, at that hour, I shall lift my arms
And my roots will set off to seek another land
I just installed TouchOSC on my iPad, and love it, with just one problem. When I have the drum rack (default iPad skin that comes with the app) all it does is play piano notes. I don't know why it won't sync with the drum racks I have in my songs.

Everything here is in order I think.

A similar issue has arisen in the sequencer, where instead of playing the note corresponding to the pad in a midi clip, it inserts a new note that makes no sound.

SHOPPA 4 LYFE fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 2, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SHOPPA 4 LYFE posted:

I just installed TouchOSC on my iPad, and love it, with just one problem. When I have the drum rack (default iPad skin that comes with the app) all it does is play piano notes. I don't know why it won't sync with the drum racks I have in my songs.

Do you have the drum rack armed?

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember
That on that day, at that hour, I shall lift my arms
And my roots will set off to seek another land
Yep.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This new version is so awesome. With Max bundled, you are able to play with amazing stuff.

Here's the latest version of Vizzable, which is series of baby VJ tools that go right into Ableton. Furthermore with the new M4L devices you can really modulate a lot of effects with simple clicking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zM35nH8gkE

I just blew six hours playing with it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL6pbGGbPag

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 2, 2013

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

And speaking of visuals, here is a brand spanking new way to send OSC from Ableton to VDMX. Its pretty incredible how easy this stuff is becoming.

http://showsync.info/livegrabber

Make sure to have the latest update to M4L or you'll have some issues.

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
I recently got Ableton Live 9 Intro and I've been trying to hook up my guitar to it with an interface, a Steinberg CI 1. I have previous experience with Logic 9.

Anyway, I am having a delay problem. There is a dial on the interface that says "Input" and "DAW". When I turn it all the way top input, I obviously get a clean guitar sound with perfect response. When I turn it all the way to "DAW" and have a few effects going through Ableton, there is a delay of a few hundred milliseconds, not a super lot but it's enough to make playing very difficult.

My sound card is a the one that comes on my motherboard. I recently built a computer that otherwise performs perfectly. It says my driver is a RTKVHD64.sys from Realtek. I'm wondering if maybe I need a dedicated sound card? I'd like to eventually use my computer for more intensive sound-production in the future, using Max MSP style stuff, so maybe I need one anyway.

Or maybe my configuration is just wrong? I set my input and output to the interface, is there anything else I should do?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

e: Removed stupid answer.

Wait - isn't the CI2 a soundcard? Just install the ASIO drivers for that and use those.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

zelgadis posted:

I recently got Ableton Live 9 Intro and I've been trying to hook up my guitar to it with an interface, a Steinberg CI 1. I have previous experience with Logic 9.

Anyway, I am having a delay problem. There is a dial on the interface that says "Input" and "DAW". When I turn it all the way top input, I obviously get a clean guitar sound with perfect response. When I turn it all the way to "DAW" and have a few effects going through Ableton, there is a delay of a few hundred milliseconds, not a super lot but it's enough to make playing very difficult.

My sound card is a the one that comes on my motherboard. I recently built a computer that otherwise performs perfectly. It says my driver is a RTKVHD64.sys from Realtek. I'm wondering if maybe I need a dedicated sound card? I'd like to eventually use my computer for more intensive sound-production in the future, using Max MSP style stuff, so maybe I need one anyway.

Or maybe my configuration is just wrong? I set my input and output to the interface, is there anything else I should do?
Don't worry, sounds like things are working correctly.

The "Input" mode is your direct monitoring. You're listening to the incoming signal the moment it hits your interface. The "DAW" mode is how your DAW gets the audio, with all the various latencies involved with digital audio. Everyone has this latency at some level- Ableton Live just seems to expose it more than other DAWs. But here's how to deal with it:

First, when you are tracking/recording live guitar or vocals, you'll want to have your incoming audio track in Live set so that Monitoring is OFF. If it's set to Auto or In, Live will actually record your audio without compensating for latency and your audio will record out of sync. When you record with Monitoring OFF, Live will do its best to eliminate the latency in your recording. But turning monitoring off means you won't hear the incoming signal through Live (even though it will record and play back fine). And that's when you'll want to use that "Input" mode on your interface. So you'll hear the live incoming signal through your interface, and Live will record that same no-latency signal in your project.

You might still need to tighten things up a little bit to make sure Live records without latency, and it's pretty easy to do. Just look for the "Driver Error Compensation" tutorial in Live's Help window. It will step you through how to identify how much (if any) residual latency your system has due to problems your driver might have reporting true latency times to your DAW. The tutorial will help you determine how many ms you're off and fix it in your Live preferences.

I will also note that for some reason the Driver Error Compensation field in Live Preferences doesn't let you fine-tune to fractions of a millisecond like most other decimal fields in Live do. But you CAN toggle it to samples mode instead of ms. If you dork with the numbers enough you can calculate the correct number of samples to offset if you end up finding you're still a fraction of a ms off. But really under a millisecond isn't even noticeable by any means.

EDIT: Oh yeah... the Steinberg unit is a full-on audio interface. When you're recording through it, audio is not passing through your computer's built-in audio chipset. The Steinberg thing IS your "sound card." Usually on Windows you can tell which audio device is which by where the sound comes out. For most folks, if sound comes out your computer speakers, it's coming from your internal sound card/chipset. If you hear it over your studio monitors it's coming from your hardware interface. It's possible to configure Windows to pump all system audio over your interface (or all DAW audio to your internal sound) but I would never do that.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 21, 2013