Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
A question about Mage Knight, Keeps and Wizard Towers and Cities permit people to enter them if you are fighting the person inside; is it possible to travel through the space without assaulting it? Or end your turn on the space without assaulting it?

Also, if you fail an attack on one of these spaces do you remain on the space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Zombie #246 posted:

A question about Mage Knight, Keeps and Wizard Towers and Cities permit people to enter them if you are fighting the person inside; is it possible to travel through the space without assaulting it? Or end your turn on the space without assaulting it?

I believe if you enter a space like that, you are considering to be assaulting it, so you can't move through it. Mage towers work differently, though. Once someone beats the Mage Tower, the mages inside just open their doors to everyone, whoever conquered doesn't actually own it like a keep or city.

If you fail an assault, you move back to where you started the assault from.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Just played City of Iron. Final score was 38-37-36-35, with me coming out on top after making my final move, which cost the last place player 2 points and gave me 2.

I thought the game was pretty good, but it felt a little long for the depth. I'd have more constructive things to say, but it's 2:15 AM and I'm a little sick, so I'll see if I can't edit anything more here tomorrow.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Regarding Sentinels;

If you play a team with Legacy, Tempest, Ra, and Fanatic... well, losing becomes difficult. I actually randomized into that using the Sentinels app v. Citizen Dawn in the dinosaur environment, and the amount of +1 damage buffs become staggering to the point where I (Tempest) would AoE the entire board down, and Ra and Fanatic would do well over 10 damage per round.

But despite all that damage, we still got out with only 5-10 HP per person.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

unicr0n posted:

I've ordered from Games Paradise twice now, in both instances it took them over a week to 'ship' the orders and in BOTH cases they sent them with items missing.
Literally took hours waiting on hold to chase them up and then days to have them sort it out. First one, the item was sent separately, then it wasn't, then it was coming from another shop and then finally oh no it's out of stock. Never ordering from them again.

Just got refunds in both cases, so I would echo others who are saying to use OzGames shop. Much cheaper than Games Paradise, takes a little longer for orders to arrive but otherwise no complaints so far.

The thing about Games Paradise is that they will list everything they have as "in stock", even if it's not. Then if you order a bunch of stuff, they'll wait until all the stuff is there before shipping it out. So if you ordered all stuff that's actually in stock, they'll send it right away. If you ordered stuff that isn't in stock, it'll take ages, and if you shoot them an email asking where your stuff is they will send what they have immediately.

Unfortunately, it's a complete crap shoot whether you ordered stuff that's actually in stock because they list everything as "in stock" to get the sale. A good bet is if other sites (ie Milsims) don't have the item in stock, then Games Paradise probably don't have it in stock either.

I say this as a person who relied on GP for all my orders for several years. This is just how they work, and it's super frustrating. On the plus side, their mail tracking once the item is en route is the best I know of.

[EDIT] Their email team is very much on-point when it comes to responding, at least in my experience. I recommend emailing their sales team over trying to phone them.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 1, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zombie #246 posted:

Entering an unconquered keep, wizard tower, or city is an assault. Conquered cities and towers are open to everyone regardless of who won but keeps can only be entered by the conqueror unless someone else assaults. You also can't enter a space occupied by another player but you can pass through or stop temporarily to explore: but if you explore and reveal impassable terrain and can't move further you have to forced withdrawal which costs a wound.

Unless you ignore this dumb rule because it's pretty anti co-op in a co-op game.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Thanks for the words about Memoir 44, helped the decision a lot. I think I'll give it a miss and save that £20 for a game that would be enjoyed and played more. No point getting it 50% less if it will be played 90% less than another game.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I played the ios version of Talisman yesterday. I have never played the board game but if the ipad version is representative then I understand why people hate it. After a couple of level ups it was whack a mole combined with snakes and ladders. And the balancing is crazy. Pick up the follower that allows unlimited fate rolls or the mule which doubles your inventory and it is totally out of control.

Is this familiar to talisman players or is it a totally different game?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Beffer posted:

I played the ios version of Talisman yesterday. I have never played the board game but if the ipad version is representative then I understand why people hate it. After a couple of level ups it was whack a mole combined with snakes and ladders. And the balancing is crazy. Pick up the follower that allows unlimited fate rolls or the mule which doubles your inventory and it is totally out of control.

Nah, this is Talisman. This version is solo right? What's the endgame like because the endgame in actual Talisman involves standing on a space and slowly killing everyone else unless they somehow reach you before dying.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beffer posted:

Yes but no. The board game has those issues and more, but it goes further with it and — in some screwed up version of balance — makes it broken everywhere at once. The iOS version simply lacks a lot of the grandeur and variety of the random crap that happens to you in the board game. The best way to approach Talisman is to embrace the insanity, and the iOS version lacks that saving grace.

^^^ Also, playing Talisman solo removes the joy of seeing fortune gently caress over your buddies around the table, which would be its other saving grace.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

My copy of Pax Porfiriana arrived yesterday. The patchwork-ish art looks better than in photos, but there's something about the cards that screams "flimsy" and "time to get into habit of sleeving cards". So, any guesses to what size they are? They seem smaller than standard playing cards.

kalthir posted:

If this post is to be believed, FFG standard american board game or mayday chimera should fit, but my copy (yes I ordered it on a whim as well) hasn't arrived yet so I haven't had the chance to try them out.

Turns out that mayday chimera (and therefore presumably FFG's standard american board game) sleeves are slightly too large, but mayday standard usa game sleeves (56x87mm) are a perfect fit.

edit: Which apparently someone already posted in that thread, and I managed to miss completely. Between losing a Cyclades figurine and ordering 300 (temporarily) useless sleeves, this has not been a good week.

kalthir fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 1, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My first time playing Talisman I turned into a frog and spent the next 6 or so turns moving 1 space at a time to the healer. 6 turns translates into about 30 minutes. That's a half hour of doing nothing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

All this talk of Talisman makes me want to play Tales of Arabian Nights, the superior choose-your-own-adventure random bullshit simulator.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

al-azad posted:

My first time playing Talisman I turned into a frog and spent the next 6 or so turns moving 1 space at a time to the healer. 6 turns translates into about 30 minutes. That's a half hour of doing nothing.

Man, this sums up what's hosed about Talisman way better than most of our explanations. It's a funny story after the fact ("I turned into a frog!"), but not so funny while you play ("I do nothing for a half hour and have essentially lost the game already?").

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Introduced Sentinels to a friend last night (it's hard to get our whole group together since work schedules never match up, so we played two-players with two heroes each). I let him pick who he got without telling him anything about how they worked and he insisted on Absolute Zero. Zero is ridiculous. I have no idea who came up with that deck, but they're really freaking weird. Also, Omnitron is probably the lamest villain. He never really got close to beating us (though I think it might be because both times the "Destroy all hero ongoings" card was about to come up I just happened to use Wraith's ability to look at the villain deck and place those on the bottom). Still, we loved it and I can't wait to play it with more people.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

Tekopo posted:

All this talk of Talisman makes me want to play Tales of Arabian Nights, the superior choose-your-own-adventure random bullshit simulator.

Infinitely superior, I love Arabian Nights. All of the random wacky stuff you can have happen in that game is a blast.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

smashthedean posted:

Infinitely superior, I love Arabian Nights. All of the random wacky stuff you can have happen in that game is a blast.
For all the talk of how Talisman can create crazy stories, it's not even a fraction of a percent of the crazy stories that you can have in Arabian Nights. Going to the British Islands only to be stuck in a storm, praying to the gods for salvation only for them to punish you instead, picked up by pirates that then, because you aren't rich enough, throw you back into the sea, where you are rescued by mermen that bring you to their undersea city in the middle of the Indian Ocean, only for you to incite them to go on a conquering spree of other undersea kingdoms?

Yeah, I don't see that happening in Talisman.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I guess the Sentinels guys announced and put up a Kickstarter for their new game and I completely missed it somewhere over the course of the last two weeks!

It's supposedly a space-adventure-themed cooperative deck-building game, but I haven't read the rules yet to see how it plays out. From a quick glance at the Kickstarter page, though, it appears that Greater Than Games' artist isn't just bad at drawing super-hero art, but just a mediocre artist in general! :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Clockwork Gadget posted:

I guess the Sentinels guys announced and put up a Kickstarter for their new game and I completely missed it somewhere over the course of the last two weeks!

It's supposedly a space-adventure-themed cooperative deck-building game, but I haven't read the rules yet to see how it plays out. From a quick glance at the Kickstarter page, though, it appears that Greater Than Games' artist isn't just bad at drawing super-hero art, but just a mediocre artist in general! :v:

Oh boy, I can't wait to donate so I can wear this bad boy to the super market.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Stretch Goal: Improve art quality by sub-contracting to random Deviantart user

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

OrangeKing posted:

What's the general consensus on Sentinels of the Multiverse? I've heard nothing but good things so far.

Sentinels is amazing. Tons of different combinations and diversity. If you get deep into its mechanics you won't find a lot of depth and may find some things you dislike. For a casual game where you pick up and play its the best.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Tekopo posted:

For all the talk of how Talisman can create crazy stories, it's not even a fraction of a percent of the crazy stories that you can have in Arabian Nights. Going to the British Islands only to be stuck in a storm, praying to the gods for salvation only for them to punish you instead, picked up by pirates that then, because you aren't rich enough, throw you back into the sea, where you are rescued by mermen that bring you to their undersea city in the middle of the Indian Ocean, only for you to incite them to go on a conquering spree of other undersea kingdoms?

Yeah, I don't see that happening in Talisman.

That happens to me pretty much every time I have a sea encounter in that game. :iiam:

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Clockwork Gadget posted:

From a quick glance at the Kickstarter page, though, it appears that Greater Than Games' artist isn't just bad at drawing super-hero art, but just a mediocre artist in general! :v:

For gently caress's sake. :doh: This is just embarrassing. Hate to sound elitist, but people need to hold them to higher standards than this. This half-assed webcomic tripe should've been shamed into hiding long ago.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kraven Moorhed posted:

For gently caress's sake. :doh: This is just embarrassing. Hate to sound elitist, but people need to hold them to higher standards than this. This half-assed webcomic tripe should've been shamed into hiding long ago.

Why? Art and production values are nice and everything, but it's the game that matters, and Sentinels is brilliant enough that I fully expect Galactic Strike Force to be a winner as well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That isn't all that matters, though. Board games are a tactile medium, and art/pieces/etc can really accentuate a game. I can like things in spite of being ugly or dull (Caylus~~), but an equally dry game with gorgeous art and pieces will be even better (Stone Age!).

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

malkav11 posted:

Why? Art and production values are nice and everything, but it's the game that matters, and Sentinels is brilliant enough that I fully expect Galactic Strike Force to be a winner as well.

I would buy Sentinels if not for the lovely art. It's a turn off to the other players especially when I'm the one picking up the games. Good gameplay is important but a good presentation is just as important, especially when I can drop $40 on something aesthetically pleasant.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Finally got a chance to try out Dominant Species. Played a four player game. Man, that game rules. Nice and cutthroat. One of my friends raged a little on the last turn. He was in the lead by a little and was ready to take a pretty big lead at the end by controlling most of the tundra, and then wasteland wiped out all his resources for his guys on the tundra and they all went extinct. Playing for the survival card bonus is a dangerous game. Even though it seemed like I was pretty far back I managed to leapfrog from third to first in the final scoring by the bonus from having 7 hexes dominated to the leaders 5. Anyways trip reports are silly but yeah, I dug it a lot and I'm gonna try and get it to the table whenever I have people willing to deal with the length.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
One of the first non-mainstream board games I played was Munchkin. I used to play it a lot and I was surprised to see it maligned when I really started playing better board games. Well, I played it again tonight for the first time in a few years, and goddamn is it a terrible game. It's based around randomness, the strategy elements are basically non-existent, the "nerdy" references are all incredibly cringe-worthy if you're older than 12 and it just drags on forever. My group played one awful game and it took us a solid hour to repeatedly gang up on whoever was currently winning until eventually one of us had enough cards and power to defeat the low-leveled monster they randomly drew. Agh, I would be happy to never play this game again.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Cloks posted:

One of the first non-mainstream board games I played was Munchkin. I used to play it a lot and I was surprised to see it maligned when I really started playing better board games. Well, I played it again tonight for the first time in a few years, and goddamn is it a terrible game. It's based around randomness, the strategy elements are basically non-existent, the "nerdy" references are all incredibly cringe-worthy if you're older than 12 and it just drags on forever. My group played one awful game and it took us a solid hour to repeatedly gang up on whoever was currently winning until eventually one of us had enough cards and power to defeat the low-leveled monster they randomly drew. Agh, I would be happy to never play this game again.

The only reference in Munchkin I really like is the Gazebo, because all the groups I've played this stupid game with were not familiar with that story, and boy do I loving love telling it. Not really worth suffering through the game for, but it does at least make the unavoidable times a bit better.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

malkav11 posted:

Yes, it's the game that matters and whether it's fun or not. The mechanics sound engaging and fun. But Sentinels is a novel printed in Comic Sans-- sure it might be great under the hood, but I wouldn't bring it out around people because it's an eyesore. This game can't be taken seriously until you're already knee deep in the mechanics, and that's asking a lot of anyone who isn't hugely into board games. And to top it all off they're still using him on another game, so any 'continuity' excuse just goes out the window. They just don't care about presentation, and the fact that people are supporting them in this hamstrings any motivation for them to improve.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I think the art's pretty charming and I enjoy it, although I fully admit it's not technically proficient.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, Sentinels art isn't the greatest and I've specifically told people it looks like a "how to draw manga" book, but my group commented on it for all of a couple of minutes and then promptly didn't care anymore because the game was fun and we were having a blast. None of my group is super huge into boardgames and we all just started getting together not too long ago, but I think the idea of playing a team of superheroes that takes on villains seems like a fun enough idea that people are willing to look past the sub-par art.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I had never played King of Tokyo before tonight. I guess I still haven't after finishing a game.

30-45 minutes of rolling dice, drawing cards, player elimination, and... well... nothing else. There's very little to the game. I rolled 1 2 3 claw heart bolt 4 times in a row and wasn't any better for it. I took some damage after claiming the hill and I was like, "Eh, there's no way I'll get killed before I get a chance to leave," and then the next player rolled 6 damage and instakilled me, leaving me to sit my rear end out for the next 25 minutes.

Maybe I'm psychotic, but I do not understand at all how or why people believe that dice are fun in of themselves. This game belongs in a bonfire along with Elder Sign, Yahtzee, and all its kin. I do not see the point in a game that you can't actually play.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, Sentinels art isn't the greatest and I've specifically told people it looks like a "how to draw manga" book, but my group commented on it for all of a couple of minutes and then promptly didn't care anymore because the game was fun and we were having a blast. None of my group is super huge into boardgames and we all just started getting together not too long ago, but I think the idea of playing a team of superheroes that takes on villains seems like a fun enough idea that people are willing to look past the sub-par art.

Sentinels came in the mail today, and I played my first couple games with a friend (I enjoyed it a lot). I don't mind the art, the majority of people who I've talked to about the game either haven't talked about the art or have actually said they like it, and it's hard for me to imagine that it would stop the vast majority of people from giving the game a try. I definitely agree that the art isn't great, but I think it's close to a non-issue for most people.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Broken Loose posted:

I had never played King of Tokyo before tonight. I guess I still haven't after finishing a game.

30-45 minutes of rolling dice, drawing cards, player elimination, and... well... nothing else. There's very little to the game. I rolled 1 2 3 claw heart bolt 4 times in a row and wasn't any better for it. I took some damage after claiming the hill and I was like, "Eh, there's no way I'll get killed before I get a chance to leave," and then the next player rolled 6 damage and instakilled me, leaving me to sit my rear end out for the next 25 minutes.

Maybe I'm psychotic, but I do not understand at all how or why people believe that dice are fun in of themselves. This game belongs in a bonfire along with Elder Sign, Yahtzee, and all its kin. I do not see the point in a game that you can't actually play.

I'd like to know how any game of King of Tokyo lasts 25 minutes total, let alone 25 minutes after the first death. Game should be fast which is part of why I (and I think other people) am willing to overlook the brutal randomness of the dice. Were people just stockpiling hearts and energy after you bit it to a 6 shot?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Broken Loose posted:

Dice are terrible. I hate all games that use dice as part of their primary mechanic, even well designed games like summoner wars and mage wars fall flat for me just because the dice are the decider. I don't hate all games that have dice in them (I like Galaxy Truckers and Mage Knight) but anything that has "roll to see if you hit/miss" totally turn me off. I think the problem for me is that most games that use dice like that have them as a zero-sum deal, you either hit or you miss and there's nothing in between. Super frustrating.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I played King of Tokyo once, and I recall someone dying in the very first turn. Thinking about the game, it's possible to be eliminated round 2 or three right?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First off, regarding this new game, is there a reason they use multiples of 10 for their cost? I absolutely hate this in games especially when all values are in multiples of ten. There's no point in having a "50 cost card" when the minimum currency is 10. Just make it 5 and have the minimum currency 1. It might not seem like a big deal to some people but I find it to be an unnecessary inflation like how modern versions of Monopoly are in the tens-of-thousands.

I haven't played Sentinels but does it use a similar cost mechanic?

Second, anyone have recommendations on a 18XX game? I played the PC version of Railroads and Robber Barons years ago and my LGS has a bunch of them. The closest thing I've played to a train game was Chicago Express which was pretty good. Not 10 material, maybe a high 7.

Sokani posted:

Dice are terrible. I hate all games that use dice as part of their primary mechanic, even well designed games like summoner wars and mage wars fall flat for me just because the dice are the decider. I don't hate all games that have dice in them (I like Galaxy Truckers and Mage Knight) but anything that has "roll to see if you hit/miss" totally turn me off. I think the problem for me is that most games that use dice like that have them as a zero-sum deal, you either hit or you miss and there's nothing in between. Super frustrating.

Fantasy Flight has been experimenting with the Star Wars dice and they actually created a very neat system with how fate (or whatever it's called, I forget) works. It allows you to fail/succeed but to varying degrees. For example you can miss an attack but you might kick up some dust that temporarily blinds the opponent. Or you can hit your opponent but you strain yourself in the process and it hurts a little. When I played the sample scenario for their new Star Wars game it ended up being a great system and even their miniatures game has a lot more going on with the dice than simply trading blows until someone rolls high enough.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 2, 2013

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
It's too bad Monsterpocalypse died, because it's pretty much the greatest giant monster battle game of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

It's too bad Monsterpocalypse died, because it's pretty much the greatest giant monster battle game of all time

PP said that they'll be remaking it as a non-collectible game, but who knows when that's going to happen. That game was so much fun it's crazy.

al-azad posted:

I haven't played Sentinels but does it use a similar cost mechanic?

No. The HP tokens are 1, 5, 10, 25.

• Locked thread