Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

I thought it was a joke about Joy Division shirts being as meaningless as Che shirts
It definitely could have been this, a totally non-controversial way to say it would have been "In my research people who wear Joy Division shirts never want to talk about Joy Division" though
Like is anyone seriously reading it and going "that isn't a sexist thing to say in the slightest"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

No, he said that women don't and can't understand music. Didn't you read the tweet/

I wonder if he thinks that their brains can't handle something so complicated, or that they're just too dainty and lazy to try?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I was trying to be facetious. I don't think that tweet is on the level of most awful things tweeted by a "celebrity" today. It is lazy and based on sexist marginalizing of women as sex objects, etc. and all that I agree with. But I really think he's making more of a joke about hipster girls (also an uninspired joke, but not really sexist).

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The whole thing kind of annoys me just because there are so many guys on twitter, reddit etc. (famous or otherwise) who actually do say hateful, misogynist poo poo about women that accusing a man whose wife has a music-based podcast of thinking that women don't know anything about music just seems like a massive waste of time and energy on everyone's part.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I agree that I think I just have an image of Scott that doesn't let me read that tweet with malice. I took it as either calling people hipsters, or calling himself a nerd for droning on about 30+ year old defunct bands when he's trying to pick up hot girls.

Also, in my world he specifically calls them hot girls because he's a straight man, and not because he wants to reinforce gender disparity.

:shrug:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
If he were to post a picture of himself talking to Kulap, and she was wearing a New Order shirt, would that fix things?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

JethroMcB posted:

If he were to post a picture of himself talking to Kulap, and she was wearing a New Order shirt, would that fix things?

That would be this story's version of "I have black friends"

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Groucho Marxist posted:

That would be this story's version of "I have black friends"

What the f***? Kulap isn't black!

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Zsinjeh posted:

I am so glad I'm not on twitter.

Are you secretly Jason Mantzoukas?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

His tweets are boring as gently caress anyway.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

epitasis posted:

#soundoff

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Lugaloco posted:

Are you secretly Jason Mantzoukas?
I can neither confirm nor deny, but if you've recently handled eggs get the gently caress away from me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I cannot believe Shock-Jockerman would be so pointlessly hateful to women.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

epitasis posted:

Yeah, they are. Even as a CBB listener, they're always some super-weird and banal inside-inside-inside joke.

I still love the guy though. He's freaking hilarious. And all the outrage about that post is just downright silly. Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of people are non-jokingly calling Jason Collins a human being. Where's the P.C. patrol there?

Guess who, everyone:

escape artist fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 1, 2013

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

I cannot believe Shock-Jockerman would be so pointlessly hateful to women.

Shocking Discjockeyman

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Zsinjeh posted:

I am so glad I'm not on twitter.

Mantzoukas siting!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

escape artist posted:

Yeah, they are. Even as a CBB listener, they're always some super-weird and banal inside-inside-inside joke.

I still love the guy though. He's freaking hilarious. And all the outrage about that post is just downright silly. Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of people are non-jokingly calling Jason Collins a human being. Where's the P.C. patrol there?

All over the internet? Have you not noticed?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The "outrage" to that tweet is just a big inside joke, right?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's got to be, what a stupid thing to get upset about.

I follow Auckerman just for the once every 1-2 months where he searches for his name on twitter and responds to all the tweets about various people named Auckerman.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

This is like a loving Onion story or something.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Guys, it's been way too long since we've heard from Bob Ducca. I'm concerned...maybe that trickle nipple finally did him in :ohdear:.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think with the amount of appearances he had on the show combined with Affirmation Nation, the character was kind of run into the ground.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Never fails to crack me up when he introduces himself on the show.

Mmm Scott, it's your father.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bowser posted:

Guys, it's been way too long since we've heard from Bob Ducca. I'm concerned...maybe that trickle nipple finally did him in :ohdear:.

Don't fear - remember, he has been diagnosed as "Hard to Kill."

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

When Jeff Ulrich was still posting in our Earwolf thread, he said that Bob's probably not coming back.

jeffullrich posted:

On the bad news front, Affirmation Nation is officially retired and I don't know if Bob with appear on CBB in the future. Very sad. I worked hard with Seth to make that happen and it continues to be one of my favorite things to listen to.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't understand what awful codified rules are going on at Earwolf where a person could be completely ruled out of doing a one hour podcast. Same with Jerry Minor. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

40 new posts on a Wednesday? Did Farts 3 drop?! Urgh.

Did the buzzfeed link earlier in the thread work before? It's 404ing now, not sure if they pulled the article or if there was a typo. Goddamn that site is terrible though.

I guess all this debacle has made me think about is, if Hot Saucerman - a man who has had an insane amount of female comedians on his show - gets turned on for being a misogynist, then maybe I've incorrectly thought bad of other tweeters before for writing what can be perceived as a bigoted post.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

The pHo posted:

Did the buzzfeed link earlier in the thread work before? It's 404ing now, not sure if they pulled the article or if there was a typo. Goddamn that site is terrible though.

The link was broken but it's still there: http://www.buzzfeed.com/verymuchso/twitter-attacked-a-comedian-for-a-sexist-joy-division-joke

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The pHo posted:

Yeah it worked before. It should have gotten pulled, it was terrible. When the comments of your "news" story are far more reasonable and insightful than your "story", you know it's time to reexamine your life choices.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wow, even worse than I could have predicted. I can understand people's instant reactions on twitter, but for a site that pretends to be any what journalist? Urgh. How about take ten seconds to look at how in an industry that had gender lines, he's one of the good guys who obviously doesn't see it as an issue. Maybe Scott didn't think too deeply about a possible message he could accidentally put out there, or he was just making a dumb joke in character... it doesn't take much research to realise this isn't a bad guy spreading hate. Plenty of people doing that though, so maybe write a piece about them.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The pHo posted:

Wow, even worse than I could have predicted. I can understand people's instant reactions on twitter, but for a site that pretends to be any what journalist? Urgh. How about take ten seconds to look at how in an industry that had gender lines, he's one of the good guys who obviously doesn't see it as an issue. Maybe Scott didn't think too deeply about a possible message he could accidentally put out there, or he was just making a dumb joke in character... it doesn't take much research to realise this isn't a bad guy spreading hate. Plenty of people doing that though, so maybe write a piece about them.

Yes, Buzzfeed, one of the last bastions of great journalism, can't wait for them and Gawker to win their Pulitzers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's sadly where a lot of people get their 'news' and form their opinions.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The pHo posted:

It's sadly where a lot of people get their 'news' and form their opinions.

And they really shouldn't, it's depressing how much people on the internet just rely on Gawker-esque websites or catchy titles of links/reposting of news articles that are either misleading or downright wrong.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
When I first discovered Buzzfeed I thought it might actually be a good source for news since it updates so much, but I quickly realized how misguided I was. It truly is an awful place.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Why are we getting into this

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Chelsea Peretti's brother founded and has made millions off BuzzFeed btw.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Chelsea Peretti's brother founded and has made millions off BuzzFeed btw.

Wikipedia posted:

Jonah Peretti is an American Internet entrepreneur, and a founder of BuzzFeed and Huffington Post. The New York Times called him a "viral marketing hot dog."

What's up viral marketing hot dog?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CBB and WTF merging. Worlds are colliding. Time to get deep into these issues.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Am I imagining it or does this Mac Maroon guy mispronounce the letter l? I swear he asked Scott is he has trouble sweeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Crankit posted:

Am I imagining it or does this Mac Maroon guy mispronounce the letter l? I swear he asked Scott is he has trouble sweeping.

Yeah, in the Hank Azaria WTF ep this week Marc brings this up.