Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Rixatrix gave you all the right advice you need to get started. Just to add a tiny bit, dogs don't generalize well, so it's not surprising that your work with your nephews is not translating to children in general. You should absolutely keep working with your nephews and, if you teach him certain tools like Look at That with them first, he will learn faster in a different context. But you will need to repeat the DS&CC and reinforcing of a polite alternative behavior with children on walks or wherever it is you see random children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm afraid my dog is going into heat... How do I deal with the inevitable bleeding?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

WASDF posted:

I'm afraid my dog is going into heat... How do I deal with the inevitable bleeding?

They actually make devices for this, either a kind of band or creepy little dog undies you can attach a pad to, or just put a diaper on her.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Serella posted:

They actually make devices for this, either a kind of band or creepy little dog undies you can attach a pad to, or just put a diaper on her.

This is gonna be weird. I don't know what method we'll go with. Thank you though.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Boy's underwear with a pad stuck inside might be slightly less creepy as well as cheaper.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Triangulum posted:

Boy's underwear with a pad stuck inside might be slightly less creepy as well as cheaper.
This. Girls work too, but boys have better waistbands. My 30 pounders use about size 90cms, which typically fits about 1,5 - 2-year old kids. My Healy, who is in heat atm, has a yellow pair with elephants and giraffes on them. TyTy should start her heat any moment now, so I might have to cut her another pair. I try to buy these from flee markets as it's cheaper that way and I don't really care whether they've been used by somebody before. And as far as the dog specific stuff goes, this type is quite ok also: LINK

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Rixatrix posted:

From your post I'd guess he's scared/unsure around children. A lot of dogs are that way if they haven't been socialized properly when they were puppies. (This includes my youngest dog who is absolutely terrified of babies. They look like people but weirder and they have the stare of death in their eyes!) A dog doesn't need to have negative interactions with kids to be scared of them. It's enough that he hasn't had interactions with them, period.

Work on simple desensitization and counterconditioning (DS&CC). Figure out how far your dog needs to be from a kid just before he starts reacting negatively. Move a little bit back from that threshold distance and give your dog lots of the bestest treats while hanging out near the kid. Then take your dog further away from the child to give him a break. Rinse, repeat.

There's a lot in this thread and the training thread on DS&CC, search for it. Your dog would probably also benefit from the Look At That game, which is also frequently mentioned. Your goal should be to make your dog comfortable enough around children that he is able to perform a nice polite behavior for you instead of barking and then get reinforced for that behavior. The DS&CC work is just to change your dog's state of mind so you can work on training that nice behavior (heeling, sitting at your feet, whatever you choose).

Edit. It's also possible that he just gets excited when kids run around. My advice stays the same regardless.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try my best. He is extremely easily excitable, not really afraid of anything except for in-ground pools (turns out dogs don't float like ducks!) and really likes to express his opinions through noise in general. He has quite a range of grumbles, chuffs, half-barks, whining, and this kind of weird humming/grunting thing when you scratch him right. He definitely reacts much stronger if the kid is running/making noises.

Now that I think about it he kind of does the same thing with rowdy dogs at the park who come running by where I'm sitting sometimes. He'll bark at them as they run by to say "gently caress off!" but doesn't chase or anything. He's only like 25lb but he has successfully told off 100lb+ dogs with his voice alone. Mostly it's well deserved, directed at that dog that will come running by you and slam into the backs of your knees or a dog and just keep running like some sort of four legged drunk driver. He is just very stubborn and hates being annoyed by the clumsy and inattentive, which definitely applies to children. One time at the dog park some teenager was climbing over the fence instead of using the gate and he immediately ran over to start barking at him, now my friend calls him "the warden".

He really lives up to his "old man" look. He even makes those middle aged grunts and groans when he stretches. drat kids, whizzing about and knocking everyone over. Cut that poo poo out and get off my loving lawn!

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Sudo Echo posted:

One time at the dog park some teenager was climbing over the fence instead of using the gate and he immediately ran over to start barking at him, now my friend calls him "the warden".
I'm still going to guess he's scared/unsure, although it's impossible to say for sure without seeing him. You're describing very typical scared dog behavior. Some dogs slink away when scared, others try to scare the threat away.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
My mum and I are in the early stages of a discussion about getting a dog. My parents just made a home move to a spacious house with a big garden, out on a country road with great access to Nice Rural Places. I've recently moved back home with a view to staying there and attending university/working locally for the foreseeable future. It's also anticipated that my brother and/or sister will also be coming home from their courses, although what their next steps will be aren't certain yet. My dad will be retiring sometime in the next few years, and works shifts anyway so he's generally in during the day. My little sister stays here too, so all in all it seems that there'll be no shortage of company and care for a new member of the family.

Although I've taken a great liking to dogs as I've matured I'm being very wary as we proceed, as when I was little we had a dog briefly but had to rehouse. My parents have both had dogs before, although my dad's attitude towards them in particular as working animals is one of my concerns. The other is my cat, as he has never had to coexist with anything other than ourselves without slaying and chewing it.

My own experience with them has mostly come in the past few years. My girlfriend's mum had a basset hound, rest in peace, who lived to an incredible age but was also a stubborn obnoxious :smugdog:. Although I saw him frequently I never had any part in Clyde's care, but I've spent a lot of time and formed a great bond with her gran's Scotty terrier, Megan. I'm doing a lot of reading before we even consider taking this on, starting with this thread. I'm still working through it, but wonder if there are specific areas that should be addressed based on this little background.

Have some glam shots of Meg for content, she was a breeding dog retired and rehomed. One of her grandpups went to Crufts. She has absolutely proved to me that you don't need a puppy to find an affectionate companion. :)

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 30, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I'm doing a lot of reading before we even consider taking this on, starting with this thread. I'm still working through it, but wonder if there are specific areas that should be addressed based on this little background.

I would suggest you make a list (or several) outlining things that you absolutely must have in a dog, would like to have but could take or leave, and absolutely cannot have. That will give you an idea of the type of breed/mix you should look at. Don't fall in love with a breed and try to make it fit into your family -- figure out what your family can deal with and find a breed that will match.

Also write out what you can realistically provide the dog on a day to day, week to week and year to year basis. Can you cover vet bills? Surprise surgery costs? Decent food? Training classes? How much exercise can the dog receive each day, minimum? What will happen if you run into behavioural issues? Who will look after the dog if you travel?

What do you mean by your dad's attitude towards them in particular as working animals is one of your concerns? Will the dog live indoors? Heavy handed training is really a thing of the past -- training methodologies have changed greatly in recent years, so it might be a bit of a hurdle getting someone who's not accustomed to working a dog like that to want to change their approach.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

a life less posted:

-- figure out what your family can deal with and find a breed that will match.

What do you mean by your dad's attitude towards them in particular as working animals is one of your concerns? Will the dog live indoors? Heavy handed training is really a thing of the past -- training methodologies have changed greatly in recent years, so it might be a bit of a hurdle getting someone who's not accustomed to working a dog like that to want to change their approach.

Yeah I've glanced over a few, although we haven't shared the idea with the family yet I assume we'd go for a smaller breed. I'd personally love a big goofy dawg who'd keep me fit, but as responsibility for exercising will shift depending on who's in or out everybody will need to be comfortable controlling it. That means nothing that could conceivably eat the slighter members of the household, sadly. A terrier seems likely, I'm not sure how easily they come to terms with cats though.

My dad worked a farm when he was younger, and is all-round a gruff Scottish manly man who scoffs at letting subservient species into the home. The dog would definitely live in the house, as a pet. I'm adamant that if he doesn't submit completely to what other people tell him regarding the dog, then there is no point going ahead. But this is a conversation we'll have. :v:

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Yeah I've glanced over a few, although we haven't shared the idea with the family yet I assume we'd go for a smaller breed. I'd personally love a big goofy dawg who'd keep me fit, but as responsibility for exercising will shift depending on who's in or out everybody will need to be comfortable controlling it. That means nothing that could conceivably eat the slighter members of the household, sadly. A terrier seems likely, I'm not sure how easily they come to terms with cats though.

My dad worked a farm when he was younger, and is all-round a gruff Scottish manly man who scoffs at letting subservient species into the home. The dog would definitely live in the house, as a pet. I'm adamant that if he doesn't submit completely to what other people tell him regarding the dog, then there is no point going ahead. But this is a conversation we'll have. :v:

Sometimes these people are open minded and sometimes they're not. If you think you can get him to read some literature, this would be a start:
http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-articles/is-your-dog-dominant

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Two or three weeks ago my 8-month-old corgi became extremely lethargic and wouldn't eat. As the night went on he got worse and seemed in some pain. We took him to the emergency care clinic and they implied he might have inflammation or some form of meningitis. They gave him painkillers but recommended we get him an MRI/spinal tap if he didn't improve.

He drastically improved the next day and was completely back to normal by the next evening. The whole thing gave us a scare so we bought pet insurance (and should have bought it earlier). Will the emergency clinic's recommendation to get an MRI and saying there were clinical signs of neurological problems immediately make everything related to this a pre-existing condition?

Last night he seemed less active and this afternoon he is now lethargic again and barely eating. I'm worried he's going to get bad again by tonight, but we're taking him to the vet right after work either way.

If it's actually meningitis, would symptoms really completely disappear for over two weeks and then suddenly come back? Does anyone have similar experiences with something like this?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

systran posted:

Two or three weeks ago my 8-month-old corgi became extremely lethargic and wouldn't eat. As the night went on he got worse and seemed in some pain. We took him to the emergency care clinic and they implied he might have inflammation or some form of meningitis. They gave him painkillers but recommended we get him an MRI/spinal tap if he didn't improve.

He drastically improved the next day and was completely back to normal by the next evening. The whole thing gave us a scare so we bought pet insurance (and should have bought it earlier). Will the emergency clinic's recommendation to get an MRI and saying there were clinical signs of neurological problems immediately make everything related to this a pre-existing condition?

You would have to check the terms of your policy to be sure, but to be quite honest, it probably will count as pre-existing because insurance companies will dick you any way they can. You're better off taking that $20 or so a month and putting it into a savings and taking out line of Care Credit in case something does happen.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^^This is not always true, some of the pet insurance companies end up being life savers, for what they are. What happens if you put $20/month in an account and your dog gets hit by a car a year later? Your $240 isn't going to go very far. You'd have been better off getting Care Credit and then being able to pay it down with whatever the insurance company will reimburse you - I've seen some of them reimburse a LOT of money before...

systran posted:

Last night he seemed less active and this afternoon he is now lethargic again and barely eating. I'm worried he's going to get bad again by tonight, but we're taking him to the vet right after work either way.

If it's actually meningitis, would symptoms really completely disappear for over two weeks and then suddenly come back? Does anyone have similar experiences with something like this?

Read your policy carefully - many of them will not cover anything within the first x amount of time after you purchase coverage so it may be a moot point whether it's 'preexisting' or not.

Fairly unlikely to be meningitis or meningoencephalitis if it just went away within 24h and came back intermittently, but without a workup last time I wouldn't rule anything out.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 30, 2013

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Just got back from the vet. He was constipated because he had eaten a bunch of hair somehow. He took a poo poo and now he is back to his normal self. I'm glad it was nothing neurological!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am a big fan of the pet insurance even if it won't cover what they consider pre-existing exactly for that reason: If he gets hit by a car or needs emergency care, I pay a $200 premium and then the company pays 90% of the costs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's not going to hurt a dog if it chews on a stick or two, will it? As far as ingesting a little bit of the chewed-up soggy wood? I'm not talking about eating an entire branch or anything.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
No, you're fine. I think there is some danger if there are large splinters being digested without chewing, but the vets can weigh in there. I think the horror stories are usually when a dog is running with one end of the stick in their mouth and then jam it against a rock and stab themselves.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
My dog's gotten sticks wedged between his molars twice now and they're a huge pain to get out. I'd keep an eye on him while he chews on them.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My mother-in-law's dog had small pieces of sticks get caught between teeth. She did not enjoy that.

My dog will tend to have midnight vomiting sessions if he manages to eat any sticks in the afternoon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'll check her gums when she's done. Sometimes she'll find a stick while we're out on a walk and carry it all the way home.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Any ideas for keeping my puppy a) calm and b) cool while we're walking? We hit highs of :12 celsius today and the puppy was wriggling the entire time in our walk, first from wanting to get on the ground, then from being too warm/uncomfortable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fraction posted:

Any ideas for keeping my puppy a) calm and b) cool while we're walking? We hit highs of :12 celsius today and the puppy was wriggling the entire time in our walk, first from wanting to get on the ground, then from being too warm/uncomfortable.

Bring water?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Fraction posted:

For A, make him first behave before going on a walk. Do a sit and stay for a moment before heading off. I'm not sure what you mean by wriggling during the walk though. Puppies tend to just want to go everywhere at the same time so they tend to just go nuts. Just be firm and remember that you're the one walking and he's coming along.

For B, I've seen some people just bring a full sports bottle of water that lets them just squeeze some water out like a hose.

Also, what's wrong with 12C?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Bob Morales posted:

Bring water?

I've tried; she won't drink it when I'm holding her, and I can't put her down.

Thwomp posted:

For A, make him first behave before going on a walk. Do a sit and stay for a moment before heading off. I'm not sure what you mean by wriggling during the walk though. Puppies tend to just want to go everywhere at the same time so they tend to just go nuts. Just be firm and remember that you're the one walking and he's coming along.

For B, I've seen some people just bring a full sports bottle of water that lets them just squeeze some water out like a hose.

Also, what's wrong with 12C?

She's not able to go on the ground yet; that's what I mean by wiggling. I'm holding her and she's trying to get on the floor to begin with, and trying to get down to flop and cool off later on.

I mentioned the temperature as a :rolleyes: at how this ever so super high temperature is making my puppy annoying to hold.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Fraction posted:

I've tried; she won't drink it when I'm holding her, and I can't put her down.

She's not able to go on the ground yet; that's what I mean by wiggling. I'm holding her and she's trying to get on the floor to begin with, and trying to get down to flop and cool off later on.

I mentioned the temperature as a :rolleyes: at how this ever so super high temperature is making my puppy annoying to hold.

You can put her down for a little bit so she can get a drink of water lol

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

BUT PARVO

!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fraction posted:

Its getting above zero most days here, and my dogs need maybe 5 good sprints after the ball before tongues are hanging all the way out and they are done. Its will get up almost to 30C here in the summer guys, you are boned :D

So yeah the temperature has a big affect on dogs :)

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

systran posted:

Just got back from the vet. He was constipated because he had eaten a bunch of hair somehow. He took a poo poo and now he is back to his normal self. I'm glad it was nothing neurological!

Corgi.txt

Goes off food, limps, shows signs of discomfort - everyone stresses out because it must be spine/neurological - turns out he is just completely full of poo poo.

I am super relieved for you guys!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Its getting above zero most days here, and my dogs need maybe 5 good sprints after the ball before tongues are hanging all the way out and they are done. Its will get up almost to 30C here in the summer guys, you are boned :D

So yeah the temperature has a big affect on dogs :)

We've got a bit of a spring heat wave going here where it's 80ish (28C for your metrics) and Linus was pretty much done after half our walk.

Doesn't help he's a black dog too. I gotta dig out a water bottle for him.

No Ticket
Jul 20, 2007
Three weeks ago I adopted Dexter who's probably 90% lab and 5-6 months old. How worried do I have to be about him using his teeth when he plays? He never tries to bite people, but when he's excited he can get mouthy and repeatedly try to gnaw on your hands/fingers with his super sharp teeth. How much of this will go away after he gets neutered (Monday) and gets a little older? What's the best course of action here? It's his only bad habit I need to work on with him.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

No Ticket posted:

Three weeks ago I adopted Dexter who's probably 90% lab and 5-6 months old. How worried do I have to be about him using his teeth when he plays? He never tries to bite people, but when he's excited he can get mouthy and repeatedly try to gnaw on your hands/fingers with his super sharp teeth. How much of this will go away after he gets neutered (Monday) and gets a little older? What's the best course of action here? It's his only bad habit I need to work on with him.

This is an excellent question. This is covered in the OP in some detail, so please re-read it and ask if you still have questions. The unfortunate answer is that if he's still got these habits at six months, they're going to be hard to work with because he likely didn't get the appropriate play interaction to learn good bite inhibition when he was younger. You can still remedy this. In addition to what's in the OP, I would recommend that you encourage appropriate interaction with hands as much as possible. To me, this means licking is okay. The best way I've found to encourage this is to buy and freeze a stick of butter and rub it on your hands and arms before play. Praise for licking and sniffing, and invoke negative reinforcement (leaving the room) as described in the OP when biting occurs. Remember that you will typically have to tether a rambunctious puppy to something very sturdy (I would not use anything tippy, and I would not use a table leg for a lab, they're likely to damage your furniture joints).

uptown
May 16, 2009
So my dog has decided he won't eat out of his bowl anymore - He'll eat off the floor if I dump the food out, and out of my hand if I offer it to him, so... Any tips on how to get him to eat like a normal dog again?

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

uptown posted:

So my dog has decided he won't eat out of his bowl anymore - He'll eat off the floor if I dump the food out, and out of my hand if I offer it to him, so... Any tips on how to get him to eat like a normal dog again?

Shiny metal bowl? How old is the dog? 3 months? I see this sometimes at the fear stages. If it's a metal bowl, you can try switching to a ceramic, but mostly I would drop some crazy good food in there with the meal. The stinkier the better. This will counter-condition the bowl.

uptown
May 16, 2009

MrFurious posted:

Shiny metal bowl? How old is the dog? 3 months? I see this sometimes at the fear stages. If it's a metal bowl, you can try switching to a ceramic, but mostly I would drop some crazy good food in there with the meal. The stinkier the better. This will counter-condition the bowl.

Almost a year old, was using a deep plastic bowl yesterday and tried a much shallower ceramic pie dish today. I think he might just be being sensitive because the cat yelled at him right before breakfast yesterday?

I'll give him something yummy on top of breakfast tomorrow and hopefully that'll help. I'm not a fan of "dump food on the floor and hope he doesn't get too much spit on there."

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

uptown posted:

I'm not a fan of "dump food on the floor and hope he doesn't get too much spit on there."
Dump the food on the grass outside and let him sniff around to find it? It'll give him a chance to "work" for his food, which is always good. Dogs don't really need bowls anyway.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
We actually feed out of a treat ball twice a day every day, for what it's worth.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

MrFurious posted:

We actually feed out of a treat ball twice a day every day, for what it's worth.

We do the exact same, he seems to prefer it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rixatrix posted:

Dump the food on the grass outside and let him sniff around to find it? It'll give him a chance to "work" for his food, which is always good. Dogs don't really need bowls anyway.

Will that encourage him to search out and eat random food on the ground, or is that something dogs just do because they're dogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Will that encourage him to search out and eat random food on the ground, or is that something dogs just do because they're dogs?

Dogs come pre-wired to search for food on the ground. The definition of "food" is extremely loose.
Some people have trained their dogs to only take food from them because they feel that there is a danger to the dog from other individuals. If this is something you're concerned about we can discuss how you might train that behavior, but it's not something that I think would really apply to the average individual in the civilized world.

With that said, I have trained our dog to have a default "Leave It" to anything that we have dropped or falls from a counter. This can be very valuable.