Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
Usually people who write the jokes are listed as Programme Associates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I was intrigued by a BBC headline about Derek Jacobi and Ian McKellen in a new show, but holy gently caress is it a painful thing to watch. I've tried twice, and couldn't make it past about five minutes. It doesn't help that I cannot stand laugh tracks.

Sir Derek is one of my all-time favourite actors and one of the reasons I got into Latin as a kiddiewink; I've seen him in all sorts of things on film and in live theatre over the past 30+ years, and was lucky enough to meet him once. I've seen him do comedy; he was really funny in that episode of Frasier as the hack actor.

But the show, Vicious, is an awful waste of talent sadly (although it is obvious that he and IK are having a fantastic time of it).

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/vicious/series-1/episode-1

BBC website link to the reviews:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22350419

We've also just powered our way through Julia Davis's Hunderby; while looking up why the guy who plays the doctor in the show seems so familiar (he voiced Nelson the Fox in Mongrels) I found a link to her and Jessica Hinds failed pilot Lizzie and Sarah

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsidfr_lizzie-sarah_shortfilms

It's a black black comedy, but I found it hard to get through the first half, as I've been in a relationship similar to what the two women experience. I didn't get out of it in the same way, however! :)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

sex pervert posted:

On The Chase right now: old beardy man contestant in his pre-quiz interview tells Bradley "I'm a Freemason. I'm the Most Worshipful Chicken Fucker of my lodge." He then goes on to tell Bradley the name of his secret society's lodge and where it is. :stare:

Freemason lodges aren't normally secret.

They're just full of tossers.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ms Boods posted:

I was intrigued by a BBC headline about Derek Jacobi and Ian McKellen in a new show, but holy gently caress is it a painful thing to watch. I've tried twice, and couldn't make it past about five minutes. It doesn't help that I cannot stand laugh tracks.

It's incredible just how painful it is to watch.

They may be having fun with their parts, but the jokes, and their delivery, are just plain awful. The obnoxious laugh track sounded like it was broken, going off every few seconds, the characters are shallow as anything, and it feels like you're watching a "Worst of Seventies Comedy" show.

[e]:
Money, dear boy. Money.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 1, 2013

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I honestly don't know how two such briliant actors got sucked in to doing that show.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

When people say "laugh track" do they mean fake laughter that has been recorded for other purposes, or an actual studio audience?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
'Laugh track' implies recorded laughter added in the editing, not a real life studio audience. No idea if they use a laugh track in that Jacobi/McKellen abortion but if that's a real audience I would like to know what they gave them to laugh like that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gorn Myson posted:

When people say "laugh track" do they mean fake laughter that has been recorded for other purposes, or an actual studio audience?

The former - canned laughter.

If the laughter in Vicious is actually from a live studio audience, then comedy is dead. :unsmigghh:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Graham Linehan was not happy with Vicious.

He especially disliked how many breaks there were and how each break came with a spoiler for the upcoming part.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
"Laugh track" is used loosely for intrusive and inexplicable laughter, whatever it's source. I think here it's a genuine audience, who must be hysterical at seeing Magneto in the flesh.
As for what they're doing there in the first place, I think it's a bit of a favour to Mark Ravenhill.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I thought so.

Its definitely audience laughter then. And don't knock the audience members. As someone who was an audience member for 4 episodes of the IT Crowd (another show which regularly generates complaints about laughter tracks) I can assure you that its weird how easily you will laugh in the presence of several hundred other people doing the same, especially after a comedian has been brought in to warm you up.

Coincidentally, I'm pretty sure theres an episode of the Leicester Square podcasts with Iannucci and Linehan arguing why audience laughter can enhance a TV show.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Gorn Myson posted:

I thought so.

Its definitely audience laughter then. And don't knock the audience members. As someone who was an audience member for 4 episodes of the IT Crowd (another show which regularly generates complaints about laughter tracks) I can assure you that its weird how easily you will laugh in the presence of several hundred other people doing the same, especially after a comedian has been brought in to warm you up.

Coincidentally, I'm pretty sure theres an episode of the Leicester Square podcasts with Iannucci and Linehan arguing why audience laughter can enhance a TV show.

I've been listening to the second series of Spats on the radio recently, and they've brought in a studio audience for this one. I'm finding it's diminishing my enjoyment as part of the attraction before was that you'd discovered this weird and brilliant radio show and it was as if you were the only one who knew and they were performing it just for you. Now all these other twats know about it, that feeling's gone. I suppose you could say I'm a radio comedy hipster.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Which is tragic as, given that it was a BBC7 show, you probably were the only one listening.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

stickyfngrdboy posted:

'Laugh track' implies recorded laughter added in the editing, not a real life studio audience. No idea if they use a laugh track in that Jacobi/McKellen abortion but if that's a real audience I would like to know what they gave them to laugh like that.

If the audience doesn't laugh or doesn't laugh enough then its not uncommon for the scene(s) to have laughter dubbed over it, rather than the unfunny scene being removed.

Most US shows reuse the same laugh track and there is a really creepy high pitched laugh which identifies it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jonnty posted:

I've been listening to the second series of Spats on the radio recently, and they've brought in a studio audience for this one. I'm finding it's diminishing my enjoyment as part of the attraction before was that you'd discovered this weird and brilliant radio show and it was as if you were the only one who knew and they were performing it just for you. Now all these other twats know about it, that feeling's gone. I suppose you could say I'm a radio comedy hipster.
Oh yeah, I don't mean to say that a laughter track always works but it really doesn't deserve all of the hate that it gets either. Oh, and ta muchly for the Spats recommendation :D

Also, I didn't think Vicious was particularly good either but having audience laughter is the right fit. I mean its a show starring two amazing actors as an ageing couple of luvvies. Its going to be camp as gently caress, and its going to revel in it. The only problem is that the writing is poo poo, but its the first episode and the idea of Jacobi and McKellan in those roles just seems so awesome to me so I'm holding out hope that it gets good.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I think some recordings have lights telling people when to applause/laugh, so it seems people are manipulated into enjoying poo poo. I assume that's the reason there's such raucous laughter in The Big Bang Theory.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Has 10 O'Clock live settled on the Old Guy, Shouty Woman and Ineffectual Young Guy format for Mitchells round table then?
This season feels torturous to watch for some reason I cant definitively pin down.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I think some recordings have lights telling people when to applause/laugh, so it seems people are manipulated into enjoying poo poo. I assume that's the reason there's such raucous laughter in The Big Bang Theory.

Years ago on a trip to Hollywood my highschool class saw a taping of "Till Death", a miserably by-the-numbers domestic sitcom. I distinctly remember laughing along with my friends and the audience around me at wretchedly unfunny jokes that I'm sure we all knew weren't funny, and not feeling bad about it. It probably wouldn't happen the same way today since I'm more mature snobbish, but the right situation really can draw solid laughs using poo poo material.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Pesky Splinter posted:

The former - canned laughter.

If the laughter in Vicious is actually from a live studio audience, then comedy is dead. :unsmigghh:

A couple of months ago my friend said to me 'last night I went to see a sitcom about a gay couple being filmed and it was hilarious'.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
Lunchtime at work a few days back and I was reduced to reading some TV critic's opinion in the Daily Mirror about the current state of comedy on British TV. It was a bit odd when I found myself agreeing with his or her points - HIGNFY tired beyond belief, new sitcoms on BBC1/ITV being throwbacks to an era of 70s shitwank, 10 O'Clock Live being a diluted form of the comedy the people involved are capable of, and lambasting the Beeb's decision to kill Shooting Stars.

When even tabloid TV critics are lamenting over the current state of comedy on TV there must be something seriously amiss.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I gave 10 O'Clock Live a go last night. I'd have to agree with whoever said that it feels rushed. The timing is very definitely off, and there were so many points where the comedy just went completely flat. The best example was the David Mitchell cheese head at the end. I mean you have some really not bad comedians sitting around a table with a sculpted cheese head of David Mitchell and they all just did :stare: faces for about 5 awkward, silent seconds. Jimmy Carr didn't even make a knob joke. Jimmy Carr was sat beside a sculpted cheese head of David Mitchell and he didn't even make a knob joke. Something is badly amiss.

This is probably a really stupid question but would it not be better to have 10 O'Clock Not Live and have a show with a better flow and more relaxed comedians? Is the idea of the live part to bring about hilarious impromptu comedy moments? Because they don't seem to be happening. They don't even have enough to put in the 15 odd seconds ad for the show. They are actually using a "Michael McIntyre looks a bit Chinese" joke in the ad for the show.

Still, I suppose it's not the worst thing to sit in front of when you're absolutely knackered.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

sex pervert posted:

Still, I suppose it's not the worst thing to sit in front of when you're absolutely knackered.
It loving is when Janet Street Porter and Peter Stringfellow are on it at the same time.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

sex pervert posted:

This is probably a really stupid question but would it not be better to have 10 O'Clock Not Live and have a show with a better flow and more relaxed comedians? Is the idea of the live part to bring about hilarious impromptu comedy moments? Because they don't seem to be happening. They don't even have enough to put in the 15 odd seconds ad for the show. They are actually using a "Michael McIntyre looks a bit Chinese" joke in the ad for the show.

It really is bizarre. The only "benefit" to it being live is that we get to see them constantly stumble over their lines. Every time anyone tries to have a spontaneous conversation around the table, Lauren just shoots them a harsh look and tries to get on with the rigid script ASAP.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Being live means they get to be up to the hour topical as well, rather than possibly a day out of whack. Not that it makes a difference if they can't think of any jokes about stuff that has just happened that day.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Some Strange Flea posted:

I'm not familiar with what the more esoteric roles are in TV credits but the four presenters are the only people credited as Writers. There's a dude credited as Script Editor, and a lady as Script Supervisor.

They'll tidy up links and put things on the autocue and make sure things are laid out correctly and readable/correct. Make sure the timing is all sorted for each segment, etc.

And yes, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't record this in the afternoon on Wednesday and get it edited down ready for playout later that night. There's no reason to have this done live. The Daily Show isn't live and that works fine. Where is it recorded anyway, perhaps Mahmoud knows? I assume at The London Studios?

Hell, play it out from the loving edit suite as a late delivery if you really need it to be that up to the minute, technology exists for doing that and it's used quite often for current affairs shows/quick turnaround documentaries.

Discussion time is awful despite Mitchell's best efforts. There's no structure to the debate and nobody can get a word out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, even just a few hours on the chopping table would help it leaps and bounds. They seem to have shoehorned in the live aspect purely as a USP, then used a panel where only one out of 4 of them (Carr) has any real improv experience.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, even just a few hours on the chopping table would help it leaps and bounds. They seem to have shoehorned in the live aspect purely as a USP, then used a panel where only one out of 4 of them (Carr) has any real improv experience.

But crucially, Laverne has live presenting experience (although not neccesarily live on TV, only on radio) so that's probably why she's there to glue the thing together.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Two hours to give them a chance to redo flubbed lines would probably be a start.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

thehustler posted:

Discussion time is awful despite Mitchell's best efforts. There's no structure to the debate and nobody can get a word out.

I wish they'd stop booking arseholes, because having at least one arsehole on with someone who is trying to make a reasonable point means you've got the arsehole trying to shout down the other guests and it makes for unwatchable shite.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

If they want to keep it live they should probably drop the script and strict formatting entirely and just have the four of them sat round a table bullshitting for an hour, broken up with a few pre-recorded bits.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
It's filmed at Pinewood - I was in the audience last night.

We weren't told ahead of time who the guests were going to be, and JSP appearing during the advert break didn't go down very well. The Angelos election campaign also dropped like a lead loving balloon, and the four hosts all looked bored and irritated while it was playing.

I'd say that the only people who seemed genuinely happy to be there were Laverne and Carr, who both, fair play to them, made an effort to keep the crowd entertained during the adverts whilst Brooker and Mitchell both looked like they'd rather be anywhere else.

vvvv touche, sir :)

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 2, 2013

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

thehustler posted:

But crucially, Laverne has live presenting experience (although not neccesarily live on TV, only on radio) so that's probably why she's there to glue the thing together.
She does Glastonbury every year.
The Mercury award goes out live doesn't it?
And there was the C4 election night thing, some British Comedy Awards wank, probably some other stuff.

Really, from the episodes I've seen singling Laverne out as a weak link is missing the far bigger picture. It's a poorly made and badly conceived programme on every level.

Adrianics posted:

I was at the recording last night.
Not really. It would be better if you had been though.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Flatscan posted:

If they want to keep it live they should probably drop the script and strict formatting entirely and just have the four of them sat round a table bullshitting for an hour, broken up with a few pre-recorded bits.

This would be so much better. It'd be like After Dark, but with comedy. Although After Dark was actually loving hilarious when people turned up for it drunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItQH7kTFiNE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKNr2LOkXYE

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I forgot about Glastonbury.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The Politician's Husband has taken a swan-dive into gothic horror, boy howdy. Next week's episode will be something out of Bosch.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Politician's Husband has taken a swan-dive into gothic horror, boy howdy. Next week's episode will be something out of Bosch.

I started making :magical: faces at the nine-minute mark and pretty much didn't stop until the credits. I kind of want the final episode to go full-Hamlet and end with every single character dead in the most melodramatic way possible.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

That episode had me alternating between :magical: and :doh: every few minutes

David Tennant channelling Walter White levels of crazy was unexpected.

The pool bit and bathroom bit were stupid.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Or any at all.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Well, The Politician's Husband is certainly the first political drama I've seen with a safeword. Or is 'diaphragm' some sort of anal watchword I've missed out on over the years? Either way, I've suddenly lost the desire to discuss the show with my David Tennant-loving Mum. We got a hint of that stuff last episode but I didn't realise it was going to be that much of a feature, more an incidental, realistic look at what sex between people with a lust for power is going to be like. I feel like Tennant keeps seeking darker and dirtier roles in some sort of continual cleansing exercise post-Who. Though if you think about Blackpool - and Casanova - I suppose it's Dr. Who that was the real diversion.

I'm loving the really subtle body-language-as-crucial-plot-elements stuff - the scene in the lobby was particularly good. And their seamless transition from private acrimony to public happiness and smiley faces is perfect. Good to see Timothy Bentick also representing for the TToI mafia, though playing a much more different character as compared to Roger Allam. (Incidentally, loving hell, I only just found out he was the original Javert. I've been listening to his voice for years and had no idea.)

I am finding the currenty political stuff is kind of runining the timeless conspiracy stuff though. Having two men sipping whisky in an oak-panelled room conspiratorially discussing blogs and tweets just feels wrong. Good that it's really just a sideshow to drive the political intrigue at this point though.

One thing is still bothering me - I don't quite buy the Aiden madness diving board trigger from last episode. Surely with a conspiratorial mind like his he realises that if Freya instantly went in for the kill policy-wise she'd either be toast or completely worthless as a pawn? Surely he real value was as an (apparently) trusted stalwart who suddenly turns at the correct moment, sending the government into disarray? He's been playing the long game for ages, surely he'd realise that he's going to have to play it a little longer to have another sniff at power? Though perhaps the point is the wait has finally made him go mad and lose all perspective, and, particularly given the way he crossed him, all he sees his wife as is an traitor and obstacle now.

loving hell the final scene. I thought we'd reached maximum crazy with the bath scene, but noooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

There was a documentary/retrospective on Friends years ago, and it had behind the scenes stuff on audiences/laugh tracks.
They will use the real audience laugh if possible, and you get a few MASSIVE laughs from the audience to a few jokes in an episode.
However to make the whole episode sound equally funny throughout, they would pad the titters and smirk jokes with the same loud laughs as the best jokes.
This also was the point that destroyed my enjoyment of Friends and US sitcoms in general. So loving fake, from the clips of Big Bang Theory I've seen I guess its evolved to placing poo poo pants laughter to everything.