Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sprint sold every phone on their network at some point. Even if you buy it on CL, Sprint sold it to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

I have one last question. If I buy a phone through someplace other than sprint like through ebay or craigslist or something, what happens with my protection plan? I haven't cancelled it just yet because I'm still on my E4GT and I've been using it a lot recently, but let's say I pick a S3 up off of ebay. Is there any point to having the protection plan then?

I'm only asking because last time I went into the store the guy I talked to said it would carry over to the new phone, but thinking back on it I think I might not have asked the right questions. It just seems weird that I could bring in a phone not bought from Sprint and still take advantage of bringing it in for any problems I end up having, especially since that includes them straight up replacing my device if need be.

FYI for anyone wanting to game the system, its really easy to add TEP at any time to your account. Do a swap to random phone ESN, then swap back to whatever your actual phone is over the phone. Phone support offers to put on TEP every drat time. Mind you, for insurance claims TEP has to be on the account at least 15 days (maybe 30?), but yeah, if you don't mind the process that's a pretty simple way of doing that.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Is there any generally agreed upon decent handset insurance? I know it only makes sense the first year or maybe two of ownership when they are super expensive to replace, just based on the convo over the past several pages it seems like there is not an agreed upon decent way to go.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Agatsu posted:

Is there any generally agreed upon decent handset insurance? I know it only makes sense the first year or maybe two of ownership when they are super expensive to replace, just based on the convo over the past several pages it seems like there is not an agreed upon decent way to go.

If you can handle setting aside a bit of extra money every month into a "phone replacement" segment of your budget, you'll probably come out ahead.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sprint sold every phone on their network at some point. Even if you buy it on CL, Sprint sold it to them.
Oh okay, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI for anyone wanting to game the system, its really easy to add TEP at any time to your account. Do a swap to random phone ESN, then swap back to whatever your actual phone is over the phone. Phone support offers to put on TEP every drat time. Mind you, for insurance claims TEP has to be on the account at least 15 days (maybe 30?), but yeah, if you don't mind the process that's a pretty simple way of doing that.
I am not trying to game the system because that is unethical as gently caress and I think that counts as fraud, but even if it isn't I'd rather not be a scumbag.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Anyone had issues with Google Voice after switching phones?

Since upgrading to the One, GV stopped handling my voicemails, and oddly a few texts that I've gotten don't appear in GV (but most of them do, can't figure out any pattern). The voicemail app on the One is actually pretty decent, but I'd rather have the GV convenience. Will disabling GV and re-enabling it from the website gently caress anything up?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Stevie Lee posted:

Since upgrading to the One, GV stopped handling my voicemails, and oddly a few texts that I've gotten don't appear in GV (but most of them do, can't figure out any pattern). The voicemail app on the One is actually pretty decent, but I'd rather have the GV convenience. Will disabling GV and re-enabling it from the website gently caress anything up?

I haven't changed phones, but the Google Voice app seems to have broken for me today. Trying to send anything just gets stuck in Queued forever and refreshing just gives me an Network error. Texts seem to come through fine and the web portion works fine though.

EDIT: Nevermind, it fixed itself.

WTFBEES fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 1, 2013

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Stevie Lee posted:

I had similar issues about a month before I switched phones. Tried disabling and re-enabling it but that didn't do anything. Switching to the new phone helped but it also might have been the fact that with my plan change they had to turn it off at Sprint and then I had to redo it through google.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
I am officially rage quitting Sprint. Been a customer for 11 years and I think the "Network Vision" kool-aid is a bunch of bull poo poo. Switched my phone to roaming only and I am refreshing the Sprint 4G map every 15 seconds until I get my ERSP contract canceled. Paying $60/month for spotty 20kbps 3G is a crime. :regd08:

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Upside Potential posted:

I am officially rage quitting Sprint. Been a customer for 11 years and I think the "Network Vision" kool-aid is a bunch of bull poo poo. Switched my phone to roaming only and I am refreshing the Sprint 4G map every 15 seconds until I get my ERSP contract canceled. Paying $60/month for spotty 20kbps 3G is a crime. :regd08:

Does that make you lose your number or no? This seems like a fantastic idea, but the thought of changing numbers now blows.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Tedronai66 posted:

Does that make you lose your number or no? This seems like a fantastic idea, but the thought of changing numbers now blows.

As long as you port out to another carrier you won't lose your number, or you could port out to Google Voice to keep it safe if you're that attached to it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Tedronai66 posted:

Even if sprint cancels the account sprint can recover the number within 30 days. So just be proactive.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Tedronai66 posted:

Sprint will send you a letter informing you of the T&C clause you violated, in this case excessive voice and/or data roaming. They'll give you about a month to square things away with another carrier and port out. The letter will also state that they'll waive any early termination fees.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Pff, Omaha will get gigabit fiber before Sprint rolls out LTE" :v: :monocle:

They're rolling it out to the suburbs, or so the rumor goes. Unfortunately that means trying to sell 1GB fiber at $149/mo to soccer moms and olds. Hope they can find it profitable in spite of that. On the other hand, it's the suburbs so if they have anything on the outside of the house that specifically indicates they have the newest thing, it will sell like hotcakes faster than free bags of meth at Quaker Steak and Lube.

It's actually somewhat funny given this is the DSL provider - 3MB service was the high end option that wasn't available everywhere. 1.5 was typically the best you could get. The other game in town, Cox, has cable that tops out at a few dozen Mbit and they just got leapfrogged like hell, unless they decide to try running fiber with last-mile copper, which is still quite speedy.

As far as Sprint goes I'm going to expect this not to be there by the time the due date comes.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 1, 2013

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

The Entire Universe posted:

"Pff, Omaha will get gigabit fiber before Sprint rolls out LTE" :v: :monocle:

It's actually somewhat funny given this is the DSL provider - 3MB service was the high end option that wasn't available everywhere. 1.5 was typically the best you could get. The other game in town, Cox, has cable that tops out at a few dozen Mbit and they just got leapfrogged like hell, unless they decide to try running fiber with last-mile copper, which is still quite speedy.

Not that it matters, but Cox just did a seriously upgrade on their cable speed for free. Bumped up my 25 Mbps to 50 Mbps, and the ultimate speed jumped to 150 Mbps.

That being said... 2 months of my contract left. Hope google has something good out this month.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

Not that it matters, but Cox just did a seriously upgrade on their cable speed for free. Bumped up my 25 Mbps to 50 Mbps, and the ultimate speed jumped to 150 Mbps.

That being said... 2 months of my contract left. Hope google has something good out this month.

Huh. I haven't seen much of an improvement. I live over by UNMC and even gigabit fiber couldn't convince me to live out in the beluga farms, but I may have to give Cocks a call and see if I can't wring some more speed out of them by talking up that newfangled speedy fiber service from their competitors.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012
LTE has finally been deployed near my home and work. I get very nice speeds outside/near windows. However, I keep switching to 3G when inside my house or office.

I am really hoping that there will be stronger penetration into my homes and office soon. Until then, it's very nice.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

As far as Sprint goes I'm going to expect this not to be there by the time the due date comes.

Whats the story here? Someone got an ETF for raping roaming?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I posted last week about the best process for my wife to upgrade her SERO plan to get an iPhone. She called the SERO line yesterday and was told "no, you don't actually have SERO. It's the exact same, but it says your plan is Government/Public employee, so I can't make the change to your account. Try calling regular customer service to get them to put you on SERO."

I had a similar thing happen to me many years ago - I signed up under SERO, but then a couple years later, I started getting charged for texting/etc. My plan had somehow changed to F+F 500 or something (no phone switch or anything) and I could never get back on SERO. Eventually, I got some of the benefits back, and then had to talk to different people and argue and finally got on the Everything Plus referral plan when I got an Android phone.

Anyway - any advice for her to actually get reinstated as a real SERO person (before switching to SERO Premium to get an iphone)? Does she just need to keep calling the SERO number and hope to eventually talk to the right person who'll take pity?

It's reasons like this I hate dealing with phone companies :(

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

F&F 500 is SERO. It's what I had too before going to sero premium. I would call back again in the hopes of getting someone who knows what they're doing. Insist that you have sero and don't budge.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Yeah, F&F 500 was just an old plan name for sero. Mine was called that for a while, until I called in (a few years ago now) to get them to bump me up to the unlimited messaging and 7pm n&w they were offering by then (from the earlier [1000?]/9pm). You probably just need to call back until you get someone old enough to know that, or ask for a supervisor.

I wouldn't chance calling non-sero CS, though; who knows what they could remove.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Network Vision update time:

Approximately 1,230 updated sites since our last status update: DFW (186), LA Metro (101), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (63), Raleigh/Durham (52), Chicago (40), Charlotte (37), Oregon/SW Washington (37), East Texas (36), Northern Jersey (35), New York City (33), Western Pennsylvania (33), SF Bay (31), South Bay (30), West Washington (30), South Carolina (29), Georgia (26), Minnesota (24), Philadelphia Metro (24), Boston (21), Nashville (19), Central Jersey (17), Alabama (16), Central Pennsylvania (16), GA/SC Coast (15), East Michigan (14), Pittsburgh (14), New Orleans (12), Phoenix (12), San Diego (11), Kansas (10), VT/NH/ME (10), Atlanta/Athens (9), North Wisconsin (9), Orange County (9), Riverside/San Bernardino (9), East Iowa (8), PR/VI (8), Southern Connecticut (8), Las Vegas (7), Miami/West Palm (7), West Michigan (7), Missouri (6), Houston (5), Lower Central Valley (5), Milwaukee (5), Myrtle Beach (5), Norfolk (5), Oklahoma (5), San Antonio (5), South West Florida (5), Arkansas (4), Austin (4), Baltimore (4), Gulf Coast (4), Indianapolis (4), Inland Northwest (4), Louisiana (4), Providence (4), Central Illinois (3), Delaware (3), Jacksonville (3), Memphis (3), North LA (3), Tampa (3), Tucson/Yuma (3), West Texas (3), Albuquerque (2), Mississippi (2), Orlando (2), Hawaii (1), Long Island (1), Northern Connecticut (1), Rochester (1), South Texas (1), Washington DC (1).

Highlights this week: First sites accepted in the Milwaukee, Albuquerque, Rochester and Central Illinois markets. The site in Hawaii is a replacement site to one being deactivated and may not be the beginning of NV there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

datajosh posted:

Approximately 1,230 updated sites since our last status update: DFW (186), LA Metro (101), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (63), Raleigh/Durham (52), Chicago (40), Charlotte (37), Oregon/SW Washington (37), East Texas (36), Northern Jersey (35), New York City (33), Western Pennsylvania (33), SF Bay (31), South Bay (30), West Washington (30), South Carolina (29), Georgia (26), Minnesota (24), Philadelphia Metro (24), Boston (21), Nashville (19), Central Jersey (17), Alabama (16), Central Pennsylvania (16), GA/SC Coast (15), East Michigan (14), Pittsburgh (14), New Orleans (12), Phoenix (12), San Diego (11), Kansas (10), VT/NH/ME (10), Atlanta/Athens (9), North Wisconsin (9), Orange County (9), Riverside/San Bernardino (9), East Iowa (8), PR/VI (8), Southern Connecticut (8), Las Vegas (7), Miami/West Palm (7), West Michigan (7), Missouri (6), Houston (5), Lower Central Valley (5), Milwaukee (5), Myrtle Beach (5), Norfolk (5), Oklahoma (5), San Antonio (5), South West Florida (5), Arkansas (4), Austin (4), Baltimore (4), Gulf Coast (4), Indianapolis (4), Inland Northwest (4), Louisiana (4), Providence (4), Central Illinois (3), Delaware (3), Jacksonville (3), Memphis (3), North LA (3), Tampa (3), Tucson/Yuma (3), West Texas (3), Albuquerque (2), Mississippi (2), Orlando (2), Hawaii (1), Long Island (1), Northern Connecticut (1), Rochester (1), South Texas (1), Washington DC (1).

Highlights this week: First sites accepted in the Milwaukee, Albuquerque, Rochester and Central Illinois markets. The site in Hawaii is a replacement site to one being deactivated and may not be the beginning of NV there.

Come on you bastards, come north west to Buffalo. Erie, PA doesn't need loving 4G. :argh:

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

datajosh posted:

Approximately 1,230 updated sites since our last status update: Phoenix (12)

I just went to lunch near a recently completed tower in Phoenix and was able to get 1650kbps which is much better than the 44 I get at work. I'm very excited.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.

datajosh posted:

Holy loving poo poo :milwaukee::hf::beer::hf::motorcycle::hf::drunkdriver::hf::packers::fatchicks:

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

KillHour posted:

Come on you bastards, come north west to Buffalo. Erie, PA doesn't need loving 4G. :argh:

This all day long. Seeing Rochester on the update list is encouraging, at least the NYS updates are moving west slowly.

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

So happy to finally see Milwaukee on these NV upgrade lists.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
Here is another one from Buffalo, ny telling Sprint to get a goddamn move on LTE here. Building penetration for 3g is insanely slow, hell I usually end up on roaming in the Walden Galleria Mall.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

datajosh posted:

Can you explain this please? I don't get it.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
loving COME ON COLUMBUS DAMMIT

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

iostream.h posted:

:confused:

They're towers checked in as complete. http://s4gru.com

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

datajosh posted:

West loving Texas? God damnit. gently caress Sprint. gently caress them so loving hard. loving nobody lives West of goddamn San Antonio but hey now the loving Zetas have LTE or whatever godawful reason it was that they chose to plant towers in the goddamn depopulated desert. Did the Humongous bribe them or something?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

iostream.h posted:

It's the count of towers that have had Network Vision upgrades completed in each market since about a week ago. It doesn't mean those towers have LTE yet though, for example South Carolina has been showing up for weeks on there but only one tower has LTE and that just happened in the past week. (And I don't think the LTE on that tower is publicly accessible yet either.)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

datajosh posted:

It's the count of towers that have had Network Vision upgrades completed in each market since about a week ago. It doesn't mean those towers have LTE yet though, for example South Carolina has been showing up for weeks on there but only one tower has LTE and that just happened in the past week. (And I don't think the LTE on that tower is publicly accessible yet either.)

So then what is a good source to find out the actual LTE capabilities of our cities?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Bananana posted:

So then what is a good source to find out the actual LTE capabilities of our cities?

Go to https://www.s4gru.com and search for your city. Alternatively you could check against press releases from Sprint - they seem to still put them out listing the cities they're lighting up. As for penetration in your given city, check https://www.sensorly.com for signal data. It may not be completely fleshed out but you should get a good idea of where things sit.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

West loving Texas? God damnit. gently caress Sprint. gently caress them so loving hard. loving nobody lives West of goddamn San Antonio but hey now the loving Zetas have LTE or whatever godawful reason it was that they chose to plant towers in the goddamn depopulated desert. Did the Humongous bribe them or something?

Um ...I do. Glad to see we're finally getting some towers out here because things are pretty unacceptable as they currently stand. I get crap reception basically everywhere. And for the record there are probably a lot more people out here than you think. The economies in Midland/Odessa/Lubbock are all going gangbusters at the moment.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

dundun posted:

Here is another one from Buffalo, ny telling Sprint to get a goddamn move on LTE here. Building penetration for 3g is insanely slow, hell I usually end up on roaming in the Walden Galleria Mall.

Buffalo is a WiMax protection area though, and there is a bunch of nextel work to do. So, uh, ???

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

The Bananana posted:

Not necessarily. The update includes both 4g and 3g. It's possible to have a completed network vision upgrade that is only 3g.this doesn't mean that the tower is necessarily finished. Towers with a new back haul, base station and 3g hardware will show up in this list.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Partycat posted:

Buffalo is a WiMax protection area though, and there is a bunch of nextel work to do. So, uh, ???

What does "WiMax protection area" mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matt_millar
Sep 26, 2002
I cannot wait until sprint turns on lte in north jersey and nyc. With all the work that is getting done here it has to happen soon right?