Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Covered In Bees posted:

I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to make retarded people wander acres of sticky black asphalt when it's 110 in the shade.
Asphalt absorbs heat. The summer of '08 was a particularly long one because my feet felt like they were cooking while working six hour shifts pushing carts at my local grocers. I know what I'm getting into with Target. And they have the added benefit of using a motorized caddy on one end while you pull on the other. There's been times when I worked at the grocery store we'd line up 20 to 30 carts at a time: one guy would push on one end and the other would take a strap and pull/guide on the other. I am very glad that I'm working parking lot here than there.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covered In Bees
Aug 22, 2003
Well Benny that's good news and I'm actually happy for you. Just don't forget to hydrate, you scrappy motherfucker.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Good luck, Benny. See a drat therapist.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Congrats, Benny. See, I knew a big-box corporation was the way to go :smug:. Ignore the haters.

Now, you put your plan into action. Move into your buddy's place, and start looking for that better job.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
and for gently caress's sake, do not run the cart's into the CEO of targets wife's face....:ohdear:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
True story. My first day working parking lot, I smashed some guy's side window. It was dark out and there was nobody else but me and two other guys who were were parking lot too. They just told me to don't say anything and I didn't get caught. A month later I smashed a coworker's side window and he told me not to worry about it. And then there was a time when I try pulling a cart out of a tree plot and some lady pulls in at the same time, scratching her car. She goes straight to my supervisor and I insist she pulled in on me. My supervisor said he believed me and I wasn't penalized for it.

Now before you start with the :downs: jokes, I'd just like to point out that even while pushing the limit (six at a time), it's very difficult to maneuver through a parking lot.

EDIT: I got an email from Buckle. I wasn't chosen. At least I have Tar-jay.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 1, 2013

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I have done countless cart runs when I worked retail through school. Take them in groups of 3 or 4 so you can maneuver. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

reflex posted:

I have done countless cart runs when I worked retail through school. Take them in groups of 3 or 4 so you can maneuver. What the gently caress is wrong with you.
Manager's orders: 6 at a time. Now don't get me wrong: I know now to only take as much as I can possibly carry while being able to maneuver. Not only does Target use those motorized caddies, but their carts are made of plastic. So it'll be considerably easier for me to maneuver.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 1, 2013

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
How is it you disregard the boss's orders when your fingers might get burnt through a towel but not when you are smashing people's cars up?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

reflex posted:

How is it you disregard the boss's orders when your fingers might get burnt through a towel but not when you are smashing people's cars up?

Because he learned his lesson?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

True story. My first day working parking lot, I smashed some guy's side window. It was dark out and there was nobody else but me and two other guys who were were parking lot too. They just told me to don't say anything and I didn't get caught. A month later I smashed a coworker's side window and he told me not to worry about it. And then there was a time when I try pulling a cart out of a tree plot and some lady pulls in at the same time, scratching her car. She goes straight to my supervisor and I insist she pulled in on me. My supervisor said he believed me and I wasn't penalized for it.

Now before you start with the :downs: jokes, I'd just like to point out that even while pushing the limit (six at a time), it's very difficult to maneuver through a parking lot.

And this is the job you stated you were good at? So you 'got away' with ruining people's property (the first two), congrats I guess.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Employment! Congratulat-

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't think your brain is good at allocating attention.

Were there strong anti-intellectual undercurrents to your childhood?

Have you ever considered breathing meditation? It's like making attentional control do push-ups.

e:

Maybe you're just in a funk.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
While working at Target, I used to have to push 6 or so carts all through the actual store before and after opening, and managed not to hit anyone or anything (displays, other carts being used, boxes, etc..). It's not really normal to lose control of 6 shopping carts. Perhaps you have some sort of problem that makes you clumsy or something? Breaking two car windows with carts seems a bit extreme.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Jesus Christ I used to push ~20 of those fuckers and never damaged jack poo poo. How the gently caress are you the Supreme Smasher with merely six carts?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I've pushed carts as a shopper shitloads of times, and I've never smashed them into a car. How fast do you have to go to smash open a loving car window with a shopping cart? Like those things are tough. Were the carts made of pure lead or something?

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I've pushed carts as a shopper shitloads of times, and I've never smashed them into a car. How fast do you have to go to smash open a loving car window with a shopping cart? Like those things are tough. Were the carts made of pure lead or something?

This is Benny, remember. He's lost two jobs after working a single shift at each, and couldn't remember whether or not he put in his two week's notice as McDonald's.

Good luck, man. Try not to smash any car windows this time. :unsmith:

Edit: Seriously, though, see about getting the ADD treated. The breathing meditation suggestion just upthread ain't a bad one, either.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Benny the Snake posted:

I've never seen a cart that even reaches the rearview mirror, much less anything above that. How is that even possible?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Chexmix posted:

The breathing meditation suggestion just upthread ain't a bad one, either.

Benny, DO NOT assume that you can supplement therapy, proper medication and the practice of coping mechanisms, with breathing meditation. Go get therapy or this will all be for nothing. This is not "mission accomplished! well done! hit the showers! You've gotten past 1 out of 30 some-odd barriers. Also, get a skateboard. Seriously man, you sound like the slowest, most uncoordinated person, ever. Skateboarding will improve your coordination, reaction time, balance and quick-thinking skills when you need to avoid cars/plan lines.

(I apologize that 90% post is bold. You know how he is.)

cname fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 1, 2013

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I did this job back in High School and could move 25+ carts. You had to be careful but it is doable. You are regularly smashing windows while driving six?

I find it hard to see how you can smash open a window with a cart. How? I know if I lived near you I would not go shopping at Target for fear my window might get smashed or that you would obliviously push a cart in front of me in the parking lot.

The scratching her car thing? That is something you could have avoided with basic situational awareness. Know where the cars are Benny or you might get hit next time,

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

:confused:

I was a cart monkey at a grocery store in high school (late 90s/early 2000s, before the electric cart pushers were a thing) and we would routinely maneuver trains of 20-30 carts single-handed without a problem, and the breezeway the carts were stored in required a 90 degree turn. Unless the carts are unusually large or the parking lot is set up like a maze a child should be able to push & maneuver 6 carts without a problem...

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I've never seen a cart that even reaches the rearview mirror, much less anything above that. How is that even possible?

Yeah, kind of threw me for a loop too, unless he was incredibly unlucky and pushed a cart into something that's really low to the ground like a Corvette. The worst incident I ever had was some idiot stopping her van right in front of a string of carts I was pushing. Fun fact: shopping carts don't have brakes!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

Man how the hell did you get a degree?

I would regularly push 12-18 carts at a time in highschool (I believe my high score was 23 of the large ones and 30-some of the small ones) and never once hit someone's car. We were only supposed to do 6 at a time but we were also yelled at if the vestibules were empty of carts. I didn't even have a hook/cord for half of my time (and it didn't stretch the length of the cart trains I would have - we were understaffed and overworked and pushing carts is poo poo work). These are big metal loving carts, too - the secret is to manage momentum and not be a loving idiot about things.

Hell, the only time a cart came close to hitting someone's car was during the middle of a storm when some rear end in a top hat didn't put his cart away and the wind got one rolling towards a car and I sprinted my fat rear end to it and grappled it with my cart hook, yanking it to the ground LIKE A TOTAL BADASS (or so I felt at the age of 16) before it smashed into someone's car.

I had been thinking you'd do better in an office environment, but I'm not sure there are offices that use circles of paper.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

E/N Bullshit > You call that pushing a cart? THIS is pushing a cart!

Awful lot of cart wizards in this thread.

Don't let anyone in this thread bully you into putting more energy into a minimum wage job than is necessary. The necessary amount? Minimum. Do what your boss says, and ignore the next poster in the thread who will attempt to dazzle you with a story of the time he maneuvered 60 carts through a Saw-style deathtrap.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Zelder posted:

Don't let anyone in this thread bully you into putting more energy into a minimum wage job than is necessary. The necessary amount? Minimum. Do what your boss says, and ignore the next poster in the thread who will attempt to dazzle you with a story of the time he maneuvered 60 carts through a Saw-style deathtrap.

I think most of them are just surprised he caused so much property damage doing a 1/3rd of what they could handle and what most mentally disabled people handle with skill, not "work your fingers to the bone."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cname posted:

Also, get a skateboard. Seriously man, you sound like the slowest, most uncoordinated person, ever. Skateboarding will improve your coordination, reaction time, balance and quick-thinking skills when you need to avoid cars/plan lines.

Are you trying to get him killed?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Zelder posted:

Nah, do slightly more than what you need to and maybe they'll be impressed that you're on top of things. But yeah don't work too hard for minimum wage

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zelder posted:

Cart Wizardry was a powerful motivator to never gently caress up so bad I had to go back to Cart Wizardry.

I agree that for a minimum wage type job with no potential for moving up you should put in what you get paid for and little else (while searching for a better job), but literal children and lazy teenagers have not been as violently unsuccessful at pushing carts. It's not a difficult job for most people.

The problem with encouraging Benny to not put in more effort than necessary is that Benny has no actual idea as to how much work is neccessary, and has repeatedly demonstrated that he has difficulty with tasks other people would find incredibly simple. So not loving up pushing carts could very well be challenging to him and if so, he needs to challenge himself because if he can't maintain a job pushing carts the list of actual jobs he is capable of as a human being are pretty much non-existent.

Benny, you need to work on whatever is hosed up in your head that causes you such issues with focus and productivity.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I bet it has to do with how flat the lot is. If you're on a really uneven lot, keeping a train contained is gonna be harder.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Or the wind. Sometimes, a decent sized back-draft off the starboard port, heading hard-broad can cause the carts to pitch-bowl, thus knocking them into a parked car.

OP, just stay upwind, close hauled. If you have to head down, just keep it at a beam-reach and don't attempt anything crazy like wing on wing, before you eventually learn to pop the boom on a jibe.

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___
I can't wait to hear about his first day.

Will it be successful?

Will store management embrace him and move him rapidly up the chain?

Will anyone die??

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Thanks for all the cart-facts, ya'll.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Learning about carts has been my favorite part of this thread.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I was on the last page catching up and I was going to make a joke about "don't hit the boss's wife in the head with a shopping cart" but I don't even have to after reading about Benny admitting to hitting cars and breaking stuff.

Still though, don't hit the boss's wife in the head with a shopping cart.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Dead Cow posted:

I was on the last page catching up and I was going to make a joke about "don't hit the boss's wife in the head with a shopping cart" but I don't even have to after reading about Benny admitting to hitting cars and breaking stuff.

Still though, don't hit the boss's wife in the head with a shopping cart.

You wouldn't have to anyway because someone already made that joke on the same page:

AcidRonin posted:

and for gently caress's sake, do not run the cart's into the CEO of targets wife's face....:ohdear:

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

You wouldn't have to anyway because someone already made that joke on the same page:

Sorry, that post was right above the one where Benny says he smashed a coworkers window. It must have been blocked out in my mind.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Thanks guys for the tips. The parking lot at my old job ran downhill. It was real easy to lose control. My secret was put it all in my legs. Lift, turn, and push from my legs and not my back.

Target does have room for promotion. They were at the job fair a week back so they have my resume on file and I have their card. It's comforting to know that it's there.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Benny is this you?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Wait, you turned the Target job down? What do you mean by 'it's comforting to know that it's there'?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Wait, you turned the Target job down? What do you mean by 'it's comforting to know that it's there'?
I didn't turn down the job. Orientation is Saturday. What I'm saying is that it's comforting to know that Target does have room to promote myself which is why I'm working there.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

I didn't turn down the job. Orientation is Saturday. What I'm saying is that it's comforting to know that Target does have room to promote myself which is why I'm working there.

gently caress that. It's great you got a job and all, but Target is not a career path for you. You need to find a real job with good benefits and a livable wage. Look at this job not as a goal, but as an opportunity to move out while searching for something better.

When I read your posts I feel such a fundamental disconnect -- it's like you're lacking a verbal affect, or everything you type has been run through Google translator. Where's your ambition? Where's your fire? The only parts of this thread that show any sense of deep caring are your posts about your comics. Do you really want so little for yourself in life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

gently caress that. It's great you got a job and all, but Target is not a career path for you. You need to find a real job with good benefits and a livable wage. Look at this job not as a goal, but as an opportunity to move out while searching for something better.

When I read your posts I feel such a fundamental disconnect -- it's like you're lacking a verbal affect, or everything you type has been run through Google translator. Where's your ambition? Where's your fire? The only parts of this thread that show any sense of deep caring are your posts about your comics. Do you really want so little for yourself in life?

If he can get a manager position at Target he can parley that and his degree into job-hunting in the corporate world. Let him get back into the habit of having to deal with real people and work for a living. I'm sure pushing shopping carts around in the summer with a college degree will be much better motivation to improve himself than the internet continuing to yell at him.

• Locked thread