Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I read that the monsters in the MP/SP ports are four times a tough as in the single player town quests. Is that true and does it make sense to play the former when you only play alone (3DS :( )?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There might be confirmation bias here, but it seems to me that doing solo port stuff is definitely easier than duoing in multiplayer. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference if there are two or three players, but if you have a full party it seems like the monsters are again beefed up.

But with four people, the game is pretty easy because the monsters are focusing on one guy while three people are attacking it. Solo isn't so bad, though I would suggest you do village quests until you have both Shakalakas at least.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I ran into a rathian in the single player port event quest that seemed much tougher than the one on my first "hunt a rathian" town quest. It might just be because it was the first time I met one though.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
People using Athena's armor set search: What the heck is "awaken" called in that list? neither awaken or freeelement are listed.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Man, Stygian Zinogre is a total chump but Miralis just kicked my rear end so hard it hurts to sit down. I must have been standing in all of the wrong places for that fight, because every time he so much as twitched I'd lose a chunk of health. Think it's time to go find a worn SnS to upgrade for maximum dragon.

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to get to one of the dragonators. The one on the boat right near the water is easy, but what about the one near the middle of the beach, with the sideways spike?

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I stopped playing for a while because I felt I had less time dedicated to it (And Wario Land 3 was easier to dip into and out of), but I found out that there's gonna be a MH3U meet in London this Saturday, and tried to get back into the groove.

It's like I've forgotten how to play this game, I thought I was at the point where Gigginox begged for forgiveness, but nope.

I shall bide my time for the weekend and learn how to be a master on the Hunting Horn once again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Potsticker posted:

There might be confirmation bias here, but it seems to me that doing solo port stuff is definitely easier than duoing in multiplayer. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference if there are two or three players, but if you have a full party it seems like the monsters are again beefed up.

But with four people, the game is pretty easy because the monsters are focusing on one guy while three people are attacking it. Solo isn't so bad, though I would suggest you do village quests until you have both Shakalakas at least.

Any of the multiplayer quests are scaled for 4 players, which is why playing with just one other friend is harder than with a full team. I'd agree that the game is pretty easy with a full party, but the game doesn't really "start" until G-Rank, anything before it is just training.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

FLX posted:

I read that the monsters in the MP/SP ports are four times a tough as in the single player town quests. Is that true and does it make sense to play the former when you only play alone (3DS :( )?
I don't think they're necessarily four times as tough, but the monsters do not scale in health/defense between solo and multiplayer Port quests. They do between Village and the analogous Port quests, though.

Potsticker posted:

When you're soloing things, monsters are waaaaaay more predictable in what they do. As a result, you're probably having an easier time fighting the monster on your own than with another person because of that. This is especially true for people who hammer, since getting hits when the monster turns around is really loving key. Since you're pretty much the only target while soloing, you can get off those turn around pounds much more easily.
The only scaling that occurs is between individual quest ranks. For instance, Village Low Rank is going to have lower health/defense in monster than Tanzia Low Rank would.

While playing with others, there are also those fun times where you're off sharpening/healing, and your teammate runs past you as the monster is chasing him/her, resulting in you getting inadvertently hit.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Any of the multiplayer quests are scaled for 4 players, which is why playing with just one other friend is harder than with a full team. I'd agree that the game is pretty easy with a full party, but the game doesn't really "start" until G-Rank, anything before it is just training.

And it's honestly really, really good training. I'd been dreading G-Rank all the way up, looking at it as some horrible monster that I'd never be able to topple, but honestly it hasn't been that bad. All the skills I've gained on my way up serve me really well, and in general I haven't really felt overwhelmed or overly bothered by anything thrown my way thus far.

I think the best training the game gives you, though, is High Rank and it no longer giving you supplies right away. I mean, in Low Rank you might need to bring a few extra things sometimes but you've got that safety net. Losing that really teaches you to always be prepared. I'm still not sure the random start location is needed for anything other than shaking things up, though. Do like the in-game explanation for it, which is basically just "we can't really be bothered to care where we drop you so good luck not dying!"

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Downloaded this for my Wii U on a whim because a lot of my friends are playing it.

Where has this game been all my life.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nahxela posted:

I don't think they're necessarily four times as tough, but the monsters do not scale in health/defense between solo and multiplayer Port quests. They do between Village and the analogous Port quests, though.

This would explain why things take a bit longer in Port solo quests. It's a bit of a shame that the solo Port quests aren't scaled differently from multi Port, but I guess that's fair enough if Hunter Rank counts between the two.

It looks like the Wii U price cut won't be for a while. Guess I'll just bite the bullet then.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Wyeth posted:

People using Athena's armor set search: What the heck is "awaken" called in that list? neither awaken or freeelement are listed.

Awaken. 9th from the bottom of the dropdown, above Blights Negated and below Peak Performance.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Nahxela posted:

When you're soloing things, monsters are waaaaaay more predictable in what they do. As a result, you're probably having an easier time fighting the monster on your own than with another person because of that. This is especially true for people who hammer, since getting hits when the monster turns around is really loving key. Since you're pretty much the only target while soloing, you can get off those turn around pounds much more easily.
The only scaling that occurs is between individual quest ranks. For instance, Village Low Rank is going to have lower health/defense in monster than Tanzia Low Rank would.

While playing with others, there are also those fun times where you're off sharpening/healing, and your teammate runs past you as the monster is chasing him/her, resulting in you getting inadvertently hit.

Everything you wrote amuses me quite a bit because all the points you hit on are things my boy and I ironed out within a few days of co op together.

I feel that monsters are actually a lot more predictable when I'm co-op with my boy. I haven't fought one yet that didn't simply target/attack one player, then target/attack the next one, then target/attack the first one again. We've used that reliable rhythm to our advantage; my kid knows that as soon as the attack animation's done when the thing was coming for him, he can start using his horn to buff us or sneak in a hit. I rely on the same opportunity to get in hits with a greatsword. We're pretty good about not dragging a charging beast onto one of us when we're sharpening / eating, but then again we've also got the advantage of sitting side by side on the couch and being able to say out loud, 'keep it distracted, I've got to eat a ration' etc.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rhoga posted:

Giggi X is popular, but status+2 and load up don't really do anything for you with a kelbi bow, and you can make a set that gets awaken and bombardier out of bugs and jaggi x and rhenoplos.
Something likes this from the Armor Set Searcher:
Bnahabra Hat X
Rhenoplos Vest X
Jaggi Guards X
Aelucanth Alae X
Bnahabra Pants X
-----------------
5x Bombardier Jwl 1
5 slots spare (2+3)
That's without a talisman, so you can put earplugs or something in there too.

Thanks for this, I really appreciate you doing the research for me.
That set seems significantly easier to make

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mr. Vile posted:

Yep, dungbombs will get you out of any pin instantly.

I feel like I must've been an idiot back in Tri, I severely underestimated dung bombs, flash bombs, and using traps offensively to get carves and easy group attacks.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Mr. Vile posted:

Yep, dungbombs will get you out of any pin instantly.

Holy poo poo I had no idea. :aaa:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Fun fact, you can actually miss a dungbomb while pinned, so make sure you take a half second to check if they're actually landing before mashing away 3-4 failed dungbombs.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
I'm moving to Japan next year and I was wondering - will I be able to co-op with my English version with people with the Japanese one?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mecharasputin posted:

I'm moving to Japan next year and I was wondering - will I be able to co-op with my English version with people with the Japanese one?

wii or 3ds? I just came back from japan yesterday and I saw so many groups of 4 adults playing MH. I wish I had brought mine

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

nerdbot posted:

Downloaded this for my Wii U on a whim because a lot of my friends are playing it.

Where has this game been all my life.

It is your life now.

Anyhoo, before tackling Mark of a Hero I decided to get to G-rank in Tanzia port. What armor should I be aiming for to deal with the crazy jump in difficulty? The next level of Brachydios armor (the first rank which I'm wearing) or something elese?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Mecharasputin posted:

For local co-op, you should be able, as past games on the PSP were able to do that. I don't think you can with the Wii U version's online.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Thundercracker posted:

It is your life now.

Anyhoo, before tackling Mark of a Hero I decided to get to G-rank in Tanzia port. What armor should I be aiming for to deal with the crazy jump in difficulty? The next level of Brachydios armor (the first rank which I'm wearing) or something elese?

Selene / Helios Z armour (goldbeard ceadeus armour) is a great armour set, and you can get it as soon as you reach G-rank, since Goldbeard is the high rank > G rank urgent quest.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Thundercracker posted:

It is your life now.

You really wanna get something with Sharpness+1. The goldbeard Z set with Vangis belt works well, but you'll have to fight goldbeard a lot to make it and he's a pain. The crazy cat lady set is fairly easy and effective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-sd6iD3DkQ

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Office Thug posted:

You really wanna get something with Sharpness+1. The goldbeard Z set with Vangis belt works well, but you'll have to fight goldbeard a lot to make it and he's a pain. The crazy cat lady set is fairly easy and effective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-sd6iD3DkQ

I started with this crazy cat lady set and highly recommend it. The only thing that gave me any real trouble were the Great Baggi, whose hipchecks did amazing amounts of damage. Otherwise a friend and I duo'ed these quests pretty handily.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Just got the Great Wroggi HR armor set. drat is it awesome:black101:. What gems should I use for the HR Wroggi set?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Fauxtool posted:

wii or 3ds? I just came back from japan yesterday and I saw so many groups of 4 adults playing MH. I wish I had brought mine

God drat :smith:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

5er posted:

God drat :smith:

grown rear end men and women mind you. I asked "monster hunter?" and they would hurriedly nod and keep playing. This game is so good it makes the Japanese forget to be polite

I stayed near Akihabara so the density probably wont be so much elsewhere

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow. Y'know, I keep having to remind myself that there's more to Japan than being the land of games and then stuff like that pops up to reinforce the stereotype.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Solo'd g-rank jhen after several failed attemps and a gruelling 30 minute battle.

Carved 8 rockskins.

Absolutely nothing of worth in rewards screen.

Monster hunter.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Just hit 100 hours after taking on Baleful Giggi. Feels good man. Most of the weapons I want to upgrade need stuff from HR Volcano so I'm working through the 7* quests as quickly as I can.

Then I should probably hop over to the port since I'm still HR1.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Planted my rear end down in the volcano for a good long while and farmed up some worn dual blades for massive amounts of dragon damage. Maxed them out, went back to the tainted sea, and showed Miralis what for. He dropped a dire dragongem! My hunter rank shot up to 37! Truly, nothing can stop me now, for I have slain the final boss and am unstoppable! Hahahahahaha!

oh jeez gold rathian why are you covered in diamonds i have white sharpness why am i bouncing off of everything ow stop stepping on my face oh dear there are explosions everywhere has anybody seen my legs

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

What is the most effective way to farm dung?

A question I have never imagined asking before in my life.

vvv village or port quests?

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 2, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Awesome! posted:

What is the most effective way to farm dung?

A question I have never imagined asking before in my life.

Keep doing quests until the Granny sells them dirt cheap.

^^^^
edit: Doesn't matter, either one will cycle a "day". Granny changes her stock every day so keep cycling them until she sells poop. Bringing two Kelbi horns and doing village HR1 "Prescription Pick Up" would probably be the fastest way.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 2, 2013

Dishsoap
Dec 8, 2007
What's the best way to farm Lg Wyvern Stones? Using MH3U Dex, it looks like farming Green/Normal Plesioth would be the way to go, as he has chances to drop the gem from body carves. However, I was wondering if anyone had any success doing something else.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Dishsoap posted:

What's the best way to farm Lg Wyvern Stones? Using MH3U Dex, it looks like farming Green/Normal Plesioth would be the way to go, as he has chances to drop the gem from body carves. However, I was wondering if anyone had any success doing something else.

I have 50, and this is after using several, just from doing a bunch of random quest. As long as the monster can drop it/have it as a potential carve, you should be good to go. I mean, this is Monster Hunter, how lucky you are at the end of the day is what matters.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

RuBisCO posted:

Keep doing quests until the Granny sells them dirt cheap.

^^^^
edit: Doesn't matter, either one will cycle a "day". Granny changes her stock every day so keep cycling them until she sells poop. Bringing two Kelbi horns and doing village HR1 "Prescription Pick Up" would probably be the fastest way.

ok thanks. I found her dung bombs.

In another matter, what should I look for in a hammer? My frozen core is 676 attack with 150 ice damage and my new carapace hammer is 728 attack with 8 defense and -5% affinity. I'm not sure how the ice damage works, if it's just added on top of the attack damage or what.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Rainuwastaken posted:

oh jeez gold rathian why are you covered in diamonds i have white sharpness why am i bouncing off of everything ow stop stepping on my face oh dear there are explosions everywhere has anybody seen my legs
I hope you aren't using the Ancient DSes on Gold, because Gold and Silver take little to no dragon damage. Also, hit the legs/wings/back for raw weak areas. Otherwise, use thunder/lightning.

Dishsoap posted:

I've gotten tons from the multiple Plesioth advanced quests. Plesioth is probably a pretty good source for them.

Awesome! posted:

ok thanks. I found her dung bombs.

In another matter, what should I look for in a hammer? My frozen core is 676 attack with 150 ice damage and my new carapace hammer is 728 attack with 8 defense and -5% affinity. I'm not sure how the ice damage works, if it's just added on top of the attack damage or what.
More sharpness, more damage, that's pretty much all you need. Bonus elemental damage is always nice. Elemental damage typically adds on as its own thing, unmodified, so it's just a matter of landing hits, as opposed to raw damage being effected by what kind of move you're doing (i.e. superpound vs. golfswing, etc). GS and DS will modify elemental damage based on what move you're using, though.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Played through some G-rank quests today with a couple of goons, G-rank isn't as scary as I thought it would be. I'm sure it will get incredibly difficult later but the beginning quests aren't bad. Right now I'm leaning towards making a Lagombi or Barroth set then trying some of the more advanced monsters.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what are wyvern tears for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fauxtool posted:

what are wyvern tears for?

I think they're account items, so they just become money and disappear at the end of the quest.

• Locked thread