Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Too bad I don't have a Jaguar!

Apparently Hong Kong only got the Mega Drive around the turn of the century but that doesn't have any supporting evidence anywhere without getting putting some :effort: into it. That said I did find a ton of homebrew games in Chinese that all came out in the last 6-7~ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

DeathBySpoon posted:

So I walked into my LGS today and saw this Mario game I didn't recognize in action.

Apparently one of the regulars got it off eBay- the box it came in was Russian. It actually looked fairly well made, all things considered. I'm most surprised that the label has NSMB on it. People still make Genesis pirate carts? I wonder what game was hacked into this, though- lots of box picking up / throwing, jewel collecting, and there was a jungle level of some sort? The first few levels all had Mario tiles, at least. I don't recognize the Mario sprites, though. Are they from Mario is Missing? What a weird little pirate cart, I thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

That actually looks pretty neat and I'd probably play it for the fun of it. Did you get a name or anything?

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
I cannot believe this arrived so quickly. Everything about it oozes professionalism. It's super lightweight so it much be a switching supply, which makes the inner electrical-waste sperg inside of me giddy, and it looks right at home in a collection. Now I wish I would have bought every combination and become even more poor. :3:

Edit: Even though you can't see it in the picture it says on the sticker that it outputs 10VDC at 3A. That's even more power than a 4th gen iPad needs. :black101:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mister negative fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 1, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DeathBySpoon posted:

So I walked into my LGS today and saw this Mario game I didn't recognize in action.

Apparently one of the regulars got it off eBay- the box it came in was Russian. It actually looked fairly well made, all things considered. I'm most surprised that the label has NSMB on it. People still make Genesis pirate carts? I wonder what game was hacked into this, though- lots of box picking up / throwing, jewel collecting, and there was a jungle level of some sort? The first few levels all had Mario tiles, at least. I don't recognize the Mario sprites, though. Are they from Mario is Missing? What a weird little pirate cart, I thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I'm impressed someone kept this picture. This caused a minor stir on what was then called "the Gaming Age forums" -- it's from, what, 2001 or so?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DeathBySpoon posted:

Looks like they just put a new label on the old "Super Mario World" Genesis pirate that was a hack of "Squirrel King".

http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Squirrel_King

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I'm impressed someone kept this picture. This caused a minor stir on what was then called "the Gaming Age forums" -- it's from, what, 2001 or so?

Here ya go!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Whoooooaaa nostalgia-bomb

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Is there a story? Why is Tiger Woods playing this pc Mario game? Why is it being filmed for ESPN?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Overbite posted:

Is there a story? Why is Tiger Woods playing this pc Mario game? Why is it being filmed for ESPN?

As I recall it was just a throwaway shot in an intro to SportsCenter and wasn't on the TV for more than about 5 seconds. Why he's in an office cube I have no idea.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Oh hey, I remember that DOS Mario game from my middle school technology class. Well, mostly I remember trying to play it, going "this sucks" and playing Liero with my friend instead. Liero, now there's a game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My brain retains the most ridiculous things.

Retrogaming.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm getting rid of a bunch of games while I'm doing my spring cleaning, and you're all cool enough guys that I'm giving you first crack at them before I move them off to SA-Mart or elsewhere.

Have a look if you're interested. I can be reached through PMs or IRC if you have any questions. No trades please, the purpose of this is to have less stuff in my place. :)

iastudent fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 2, 2013

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
gently caress! I need help! Currently sat at a bar, trying to recall the name of a PS1 party game, with super short mini games. It's not crash bash, it was pretty Japanese in its energy, style and overall crazy factor.

What the gently caress was it?!

Edit : also 2nd guessing myself, maybe it's early PS2

midge fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 2, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

iastudent posted:

I'm getting rid of a bunch of games while I'm doing my spring cleaning, and you're all cool enough guys that I'm giving you first crack at them.

Have a look if you're interested. I can be reached through PMs or IRC if you have any questions. No trades please, the purpose of this is to have less stuff in my place. :)

Your inbox is full.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Your inbox is full.

Fixed!

midge posted:

gently caress! I need help! Currently sat at a bar, trying to recall the name of a PS1 party game, with super short mini games. It's not crash bash, it was pretty Japanese in its energy, style and overall crazy factor.

Incredible Crisis?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Konami's Bishibashi Special series (1 ~ 3)?

I GISed it here.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

midge posted:

Likely Bishi Bashi Special or one of the other games in the series. A less likely but similar game would be Tatakau Salary Man.

EDIT Beaten, just like I usually am in these games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

midge posted:

Edit : also 2nd guessing myself, maybe it's early PS2

You may be thinking of one of the Salary Man Champ series.

Edit: And I'm beaten to that suggestion.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Konami's Bishibashi Special series (1 ~ 3)?

I GISed it here.

You loving beauty.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I threw in Mr Driller on my cube and I guess memory cards are region locked because I just lost all the saves I had on my memory card :o:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, they are. I'm drat lucky to still have my F-Zero GX save.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Update on my Solaris Japan "wrong item received" problem, for anyone who cares:

I got an e-mail telling me to keep Fatal Fury 2, and that a copy of Final Fight 2 is on its way. Which is what I was expecting, but I figure I'd throw in an update and some positive word-of-mouth (not that you folks who haved ordered :homebrew: XRGBs from them need it) for anyone considering ordering some, you know, actual games from them.

In the meantime, been enjoying Yoshi's Island and Super Donkey Kong 2 a lot since I got 'em. Yoshi's Island probably is one of the nicest looking SNES games around, especially with S-Video. Donkey Kong Country 2 is surprisingly tough (or I just suck); but the music is definitely some of the best released for the SNES in my book. It's like Rare took the great musical work they did on the first DKC and threw it into overdrive. It's very '90s, though, in some indefinable and wonderful way.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Sadly I'm having choose a few things to sell to cover some emergency home repairs.
First on the chopping block is my AV Famicom. If anyone here is interested, I'd rather send it to a good home than ebay it.

I have something like 160 invested in it after importing the console and the Japanese zapper, but I'll consider any reasonable offer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

flyboi posted:

So I threw in Mr Driller on my cube and I guess memory cards are region locked because I just lost all the saves I had on my memory card :o:

Yup. JP games will wipe US/EU cards and the same. What a horrible idea that was.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
As much as I would like to make an offer, I can't afford to be buying Japanese games now. Please don't tell me to :frogout:. I like this thread.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I beat Metal Storm tonight. Well, not in a legit way since I put in a password that starts you off fully powered up and with 120+ lives, but it's done. I'm 32 now and don't have time to struggle through every single game I own from start to finish dagnabbit. :corsair:

For those who may not have tried it, it's a side scrolling shooter/platformer with some of the best graphics on the NES and a really well incorporated reverse gravity gimmick. It's not just a "oh hey, I'm on the cieling. Whee!" sort of a thing. Enemies and traps react when you flip from floor to ceiling and back. This game is also hard as balls if those balls were particularly hard balls. Sadly you're probably going to pay $50 for a cart-only copy. In any event, three things blew my mind tonight.

1: I remember the beginning of stage 5. Which means that a much younger me managed to get there without resorting to a password. :stare:

2: The level 6 boss. It is bugfuck insane and I don't want to spoil it for anyone who might me tempted to pick this one up and play it through. The floor and ceiling are force fields that destroy you if you touch them. The "boss" is three platforms which rapidly rotate around the perimeter of the screen. You have to keep jumping from platform to platform while shooting at them. That's right, you have to destroy the only things keeping you from touching the death zones. I lost 40 lives on this one and just about lost my mind. :stonk:

3: Beat the game? There's a hard mode. :what:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yup. JP games will wipe US/EU cards and the same. What a horrible idea that was.

Thankfully I hadn't touched gamecube games in like 6 years so whatever was on that memory card I'm not going to miss much. Just means I need to beat ToS again!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shame on you, flyboi. Importing is illegal. And emulators are illegal. And using unlicensed RF adapters will damage your TV and console. And using third-party controllers instantly voids the warranty on your console and sends a spark through the wires that will burn your house down.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

iastudent posted:

I'm getting rid of a bunch of games while I'm doing my spring cleaning, and you're all cool enough guys that I'm giving you first crack at them before I move them off to SA-Mart or elsewhere.

I don't have PMs but I'm interested in Lunar Legend and maybe FF1&2. My email is athreshe at gmail.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Unmature posted:

They did that with the boardgame documentary Going Cardboard as well. What the hell? How can digital distribution be more expensive or difficult than physical?

I meant to reply to this yesterday since it ties pretty much directly to what I do for a living (streaming media and IPTV poo poo), but digital distribution of video is surprisingly expensive and/or complicated, and the main reason is because most people selling video that way want some sort of DRM on it.

Getting that set up to authorize individual users automatically based on purchases and maintaining the infrastructure to keep it running is a huge pain in the rear end, so the options are either to roll your own (:retrogames: up front and ongoing maintenance costs, but lots of savings later for high-volume companies) or to sign up with somebody to provide an out-of-the-box solution. Now, I'm only really familiar with the pricing of my own company's offerings for this, but I can definitely say they'd be out of the range of what these folks could afford and I wouldn't be surprised if the other solutions were as well.

On the other hand, if you're willing to set up DRM-free distribution, you just need to host a file somewhere, control access to it, and pay for storage/transfer costs, which is way, way simpler.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

DeathBySpoon posted:

I don't have PMs but I'm interested in Lunar Legend and maybe FF1&2. My email is athreshe at gmail.

Sent you an email, I'll be getting some shuteye in the meantime.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

HellFox posted:

I cannot believe this arrived so quickly. Everything about it oozes professionalism. It's super lightweight so it much be a switching supply, which makes the inner electrical-waste sperg inside of me giddy, and it looks right at home in a collection. Now I wish I would have bought every combination and become even more poor. :3:

Edit: Even though you can't see it in the picture it says on the sticker that it outputs 10VDC at 3A. That's even more power than a 4th gen iPad needs. :black101:

That's really cool and I didn't even know I could be jealous of someone's power adapter.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Consoles on a messy floor just like Saturday mornings of old. Next purchase will be a decent entertainment unit on preparation for a proper TV.

In other news I was fortunate enough to exchange the dodgy s-video cable I picked up for a second N64 controller. One of the things I like about dealing with brick and mortar stores.

I picked up copies of Mario Kart 64 and Snowboard Kids for nostalgia's sake and difference between JP and PAL releases was a surprise. The increase in speed is nice, but the complete difference voices was a bit of a shock. Wario sounds like my gruff uncle instead of a caricature of a bad dude.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Quiet Feet posted:

I beat Metal Storm tonight. Well, not in a legit way since I put in a password that starts you off fully powered up and with 120+ lives, but it's done. I'm 32 now and don't have time to struggle through every single game I own from start to finish dagnabbit. :corsair:

For those who may not have tried it, it's a side scrolling shooter/platformer with some of the best graphics on the NES and a really well incorporated reverse gravity gimmick. It's not just a "oh hey, I'm on the cieling. Whee!" sort of a thing. Enemies and traps react when you flip from floor to ceiling and back. This game is also hard as balls if those balls were particularly hard balls. Sadly you're probably going to pay $50 for a cart-only copy. In any event, three things blew my mind tonight.

1: I remember the beginning of stage 5. Which means that a much younger me managed to get there without resorting to a password. :stare:

2: The level 6 boss. It is bugfuck insane and I don't want to spoil it for anyone who might me tempted to pick this one up and play it through. The floor and ceiling are force fields that destroy you if you touch them. The "boss" is three platforms which rapidly rotate around the perimeter of the screen. You have to keep jumping from platform to platform while shooting at them. That's right, you have to destroy the only things keeping you from touching the death zones. I lost 40 lives on this one and just about lost my mind. :stonk:

3: Beat the game? There's a hard mode. :what:

I didn't realize this game was going for that much. I got it from a local game store for $4 on the recommendation of a friend and instantly fell in love with it. The graphics are great (the explosion when you die is probably the best on nes) and I really enjoy the gravity flipping mechanic of the game and the level design did a great job of making creative ways to force you to use it. Although as you said, it gets to be very difficult late in the game.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

MediumWellDone posted:

Consoles on a messy floor just like Saturday mornings of old.

This is what retrogaming is all about.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

MediumWellDone posted:

Consoles on a messy floor just like Saturday mornings of old. Next purchase will be a decent entertainment unit on preparation for a proper TV.

In other news I was fortunate enough to exchange the dodgy s-video cable I picked up for a second N64 controller. One of the things I like about dealing with brick and mortar stores.

I picked up copies of Mario Kart 64 and Snowboard Kids for nostalgia's sake and difference between JP and PAL releases was a surprise. The increase in speed is nice, but the complete difference voices was a bit of a shock. Wario sounds like my gruff uncle instead of a caricature of a bad dude.

If you live in the greater Seattle area and your retro room looks like this, I will come over and organize it for you.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

midge posted:

LISTEN! YOU SIGNED UP ON ELFSTER BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE!
H1KE (I can't find your post here - the search is a little poo poo)

http://www.elfster.com/profile/view/9067082/ :)

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

MediumWellDone posted:

This reminds me. Does anyone have the link to that absolutely disgusting Japanese dorm that students use as a retro game clubhouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I finally got a proper shelf for my 50kg TV and all the poo poo I have! Had to paint it white myself but it was worth it. I'm going to Tokyo in two weeks so there will be a lot of new consoles and games on this soon; I'll have to get another shelf just for games so I can free some room on this for a Famicom, Super Famicom and other stuff!

• Locked thread