Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rambler
May 6, 2007
Is there any way to increase the FOV in System Shock 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thinking of getting Doom 3 BFG Edition for Xbox. Does the version of Doom II in that package include "No Rest For The Living"? That might push me over the edge since I never got the XBLA port.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Minidust posted:

Thinking of getting Doom 3 BFG Edition for Xbox. Does the version of Doom II in that package include "No Rest For The Living"? That might push me over the edge since I never got the XBLA port.

It does! Go nuts!

Expect to be disappointed by Doom II's secret levels, by the way :sigh:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

And if you decide to start using the iwad for playing online, prepare to be kicked out a lot for level authentication failure.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TerminusEst13 posted:

And if you decide to start using the iwad for playing online, prepare to be kicked out a lot for level authentication failure.

You can grab patches on Doomworld that will revert the levels and graphics to what they were originally. Or to change them into the original v1.9 IWAD; but then you won't be able to play it within Doom 3 BFG anymore.

Also, ZDaemon solves the problem of the level authentication failure by identifying the BFG's censored Wolf levels and patching them with the original version when you play online.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Interesting, thanks for the warnings but I've already got Doom II PC on Steam :)

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Downloading... :neckbeard:

Edit: It so dark its like unplayable, I'm stumbling around trying to find the different ducts and I can't see anything. Color correction makes things brighter for while I change the value, but as soon as I go back to playing, its dark again. How do I enable color correction? I've tried Software and 16/32 opengl renderers. :smith:

Do you have F.lux or some other monitor colour modifying program running? Because that's what the cause is when I have issues like that with (mostly) older games.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So i've been trying out Psychic and Hexen. E-gawds it has some headache worthy backtracking! :stare:

Psychic is amazing regardless! :allears: Just too bad its not working with multiplayer.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
DNF 2013 was pretty great. I had a few minor peeves with it (a few minor bugs, the robots being explicitly stated as being T-800s, etc.) but it definitely turned out better than the real Duke Nukem Forever that we got! Only thing is that the final boss comes out of nowhere and the ending is kind of ridiculous... it kind of makes it feel like it's the shareware of something bigger and more complete. So here's hoping that these guys get together and make more along these lines, maybe an episode 2 or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mman posted:

Do you have F.lux or some other monitor colour modifying program running? Because that's what the cause is when I have issues like that with (mostly) older games.

I do run F.lux, good call, although I didn't think it would make enough of a difference, it normally doesn't. Maybe its somehow adapting to the changes, though?

Its really weird because if I go to the color correction screen, I can turn up the alpha, and it does get brighter. As long as I sit on the options screen, its brighter. As soon as I close the options menu, though, it goes right back to being super dark. That's what made me think it was the game.

I'll try disabling F.lux and see if that fixes it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Just finished DNF2013, it really was better than the DNF I paid money for. I think my favorite part is how the available ammo seems just right for how many enemies you have to fight, they did a great job all-around with this.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Cold as Hell was great fun, marred by some bullshit stealth teleports from behind.

I somehow managed to miss the flamethrower, though.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Traveller posted:

Cold as Hell was great fun, marred by some bullshit stealth teleports from behind.

I somehow managed to miss the flamethrower, though.

So did I.

Alright, I'm playing Scythe with Brutal Doom now. Somehow, I managed to get to the final level...can this actually be done? I mean, this is some serious nuts.wad poo poo right there, has anyone managed to clear it? And if so, how?

I just flipped a switch. A hundred Revenants appeared. It's a battlefield in there, but how do I get through?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this Speed of Doom, UV no save pistol start run.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Somehow, I managed to get to the final level...can this actually be done? I mean, this is some serious nuts.wad poo poo right there, has anyone managed to clear it? And if so, how?

I can't vouch for Brutal Doom, all the times I've played Scythe has been vanilla or with Samsara, but in the end Scythe Map30 boils down to standard slaughterwad tactics, really. Take things very, very slowly, one batch of enemies at a time--preferably one at a time, if you can manage it. Don't be afraid to retreat, if you need to, and only grab health if you can get the maximum amount of points out of it.

Erik Alm really shot himself in the foot with the end of Scythe, I think. The end of Scythe 2 was a much better slaughter experience.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I'm pretty sure I bit off more than I can chew starting Doom's episode 3 on I'm Too Young To Die. Also I'm questioning how the hell I've never gotten around to playing past the end of episode 1 before, despite having had the registered version for a while (though I did only have shareware back in the day... well, and Chex Quest. Which I actually played first.)

Keiya fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 3, 2013

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Are you really that terrible that you need to play on the easiest difficulty? :psyduck:
It was plenty of fun on ultra violence with brutal doom though.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

I can't vouch for Brutal Doom, all the times I've played Scythe has been vanilla or with Samsara, but in the end Scythe Map30 boils down to standard slaughterwad tactics, really. Take things very, very slowly, one batch of enemies at a time--preferably one at a time, if you can manage it. Don't be afraid to retreat, if you need to, and only grab health if you can get the maximum amount of points out of it.

Erik Alm really shot himself in the foot with the end of Scythe, I think. The end of Scythe 2 was a much better slaughter experience.

I'm making progress...slowly. By now, I've probably been the cause of more infighting between my enemies then a shady arms dealer, but it's working...slowly.

By the way, I'm reading a book right now that fits the theme of this thread: Bedlam by Christopher Brookmyre. Basically, it's Tron and The Matrix, but instead of weird computerworlds or strange cyberpunk reality, the protagonist finds himself trapped in old FPS games. Other types of games appear later on as well, but it's worth reading just for the first half where the protagonist finds himself stuck in Quake 2 "Starfire." Rock, Paper Shotgun did a pretty good write-up on it here.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

maev posted:

I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this Speed of Doom, UV no save pistol start run.
Practice and watch dsda runs to learn maps: http://doomedsda.us/wad1258.html

It'll probably take you quite a long time but it's the most rewarding way to play.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Thanks for the link! I've played a while through various Wads steadily going through to UV while saving, I feel its time to man up for a bigger challenge. Even after AV / Plutonia 2 on UV, doing pistol start with no saving really is another experiance (and a really fun one at that). Genuinely making GBS threads myself at the end of a level against a cyber-demon where before it was just the standard BFG dodge fest with no real worry. I'm looking forward to seeing how well I do with Speed of Doom (at level 8 so far), though it is seriously brutal for my first 'proper' run.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrickenMoron posted:

Are you really that terrible that you need to play on the easiest difficulty? :psyduck:
It was plenty of fun on ultra violence with brutal doom though.

That's kind of the point of having difficulty levels in the first place, so you can train up to be able to play on hard (Ultra-Violence).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Install Gentoo posted:

That's kind of the point of having difficulty levels in the first place, so you can train up to be able to play on hard (Ultra-Violence).

No, those lower difficulties are there for formality...to give the illusion of choice. And to figure out who is weak so we can point at them and shame them. Shame them!

Boooooooo!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Steam is having a big sale on Star Wars stuff, so you can get Dark Forces for less than $2, or the whole Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series for :20bux:.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

When I first played Doom I could hardly get through on the easiest difficulty...

Don't sweat it, Keiya, play the game however you like and have fun! Disregard the Doom purists with awful opinions :colbert:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Nightmare max Tyson runs 100% items 100% secrets no saves under par time or GTFO.

Keyboard only.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also it's super lame when a custom WAD has every skill level with the exact same monster and item layout. Or worse, the author only sets the items to appear on skill level 4/5.

Which reminds me, how many maps are out there where the author really went all out with the skill levels, so that the same map played on the different skill levels results in an entirely different experience? I know I've played a few before whose names I can't remember, but it was really cool to have things like the sequence of key-gated areas changing depending on skill level due to Thing placement, as well as mazes of impassable Things shifting their routes depending on whether you were doing skill 1/2, skill 3, or skill 4/5.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I did that when I made custom Blood maps.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

You know I swear I heard in an early preview of Gunman Chronicles that the levels would change depending on difficulty - like for instance if you had a bridge in a level, in Easy it'd be a solid concrete thing with plenty of cover and on Hard it would be a rickety rope bridge. I don't know if I just imagined that but it would be a pretty drat neat thing to see.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Jblade posted:

You know I swear I heard in an early preview of Gunman Chronicles that the levels would change depending on difficulty - like for instance if you had a bridge in a level, in Easy it'd be a solid concrete thing with plenty of cover and on Hard it would be a rickety rope bridge. I don't know if I just imagined that but it would be a pretty drat neat thing to see.

Free Radical Design used to do this sort of things in their games. GoldenEye, Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters 2 all changed depending upon the difficulty level. If you chose easy, you'd be done in minutes. Choose hard, and levels would become twice as big, with additional objectives and all. It was awesome.

And on another note, I've finally finished Scythe in Brutal Doom! Took me more then an hour (shameful, I know), but at least I got a 100% killscore...gently caress you, 17 Cyberdemons!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sobatchja Morda posted:

And on another note, I've finally finished Scythe in Brutal Doom! Took me more then an hour (shameful, I know), but at least I got a 100% killscore...gently caress you, 17 Cyberdemons!

You better have taunted them. :unsmigghh:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Keiya posted:

I'm pretty sure I bit off more than I can chew starting Doom's episode 3 on I'm Too Young To Die. Also I'm questioning how the hell I've never gotten around to playing past the end of episode 1 before, despite having had the registered version for a while (though I did only have shareware back in the day... well, and Chex Quest. Which I actually played first.)
You aren't getting enough secrets. You are armed so much better if you find them that it changes the pacing completely. Most people I've met who've struggled with episode 2 for instance did not know the gimmick: every level has a plasma rifle. Start over from M1 and don't leave until you have a shotgun and a rocket launcher.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Heh, yep. I actually've been finding most of my weapons on E2M2 and E3M2... I dunno, I just have a better time finding things in those. I'm just not good at dodging cacodemon spit yet, is the main issue. I'll get there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Keiya posted:

Heh, yep. I actually've been finding most of my weapons on E2M2 and E3M2... I dunno, I just have a better time finding things in those. I'm just not good at dodging cacodemon spit yet, is the main issue. I'll get there.

Here's a tip: Cacodemons have a reasonably-high pain chance (i.e. they "flinch" quite often when being attacked). Rapid-fire weapons such as the chaingun, plasma rifle, and chainsaw work best against cacodemons because they rarely get a chance to attack you. There's also the added bonus of cacodemons being fat targets, so the relatively-low accuracy of the chaingun and the erratic nature of using the chainsaw isn't much of an issue.

Chainsawing cacodemons is satisfying as all hell :black101:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 4, 2013

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Baiting melee is a good strategy to pick up. It's counter-intuitive, but you can punk demons by making them whiff.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Baiting melee is a good strategy to pick up. It's counter-intuitive, but you can punk demons by making them whiff.

As featured in this pro strats tut vid.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I had forgotten about this video! For as juvenile as it appears, I find it really funny and informative.

EDIT: "Agitating Skeletons"...hahaha...too good.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 4, 2013

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Here's a tip: Cacodemons have a reasonably-high pain chance (i.e. they "flinch" quite often when being attacked). Rapid-fire weapons such as the chaingun, plasma rifle, and chainsaw work best against cacodemons because they rarely get a chance to attack you. There's also the added bonus of cacodemons being fat targets, so the relatively-low accuracy of the chaingun and the erratic nature of using the chainsaw isn't much of an issue.

Chainsawing cacodemons is satisfying as all hell :black101:

I figured that out shortly after posting my previous message, and from there was able to breeze through the rest of the episode. Though I missed the secret level in that one, I think I saw the way to go to it though so I'll head back.

The episode 3 boss is kind of underwhelming after the fight with the Cyberdemon. But then, I'd been conserving cells the entire time (preferring to use the shotgun and chaingun anyway) so it was kind of point gun, pull trigger, watch explosions...

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Nah its not, the mastermind is the weaker of the two sadly and the BFG gives you a huge edge.

Gotta love brutal doom for that, "Spider Mastermind? Lets remove the hitscan and give it explosive rounds!" :black101:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
You can one hit kill the spider mastermind with the big if youre close. So much for the big baddie ending!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Wow. That is a great video. Learn these things!