Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Don't ever order from Pixmania. I've just received a new Sigma prime from them (cheapest price), that was packaged in a larger than shoebox cardboard box, without any padding at all. While the lens itself is in that padded quiver as all their stuff, I don't want to know how much airtime it had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The day after I got my 135L, I got to use it on Joe Biden.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Bubbacub posted:

He's either reading twitter, fell asleep, or fell asleep reading twitter. Pretty nifty either way :)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bubbacub posted:

Also Elizabeth Warren, in the same picture :swoon:

Spime Wrangler posted:

Agreed. It's a fantastic lens and it rarely leaves my camera these days.

I'm vacating my EOS system soon-ish but I'm kind of tempted to pick up a 40mm just to stick on a film body.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Don't ever order from Pixmania. I've just received a new Sigma prime from them (cheapest price), that was packaged in a larger than shoebox cardboard box, without any padding at all. While the lens itself is in that padded quiver as all their stuff, I don't want to know how much airtime it had.

Dang, all functional? :ohdear:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

mclifford82 posted:

He's either reading twitter, fell asleep, or fell asleep reading twitter. Pretty nifty either way :)

Given that it's biden, and there are women within 100m of him, those are NOT the only options...

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I'm hoping this is the right section for this, I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks and I want to be able to offload my photos from my 30D (or even tether?) to my iPad 3. I'm seeing mixed reviews on the camera connection kit from apple so I was just wondering if anyone has had any recent experience? The idea of tethering would be pretty sweet but I know my 30D is on the older end and might not be able to.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Photex posted:

I'm hoping this is the right section for this, I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks and I want to be able to offload my photos from my 30D (or even tether?) to my iPad 3. I'm seeing mixed reviews on the camera connection kit from apple so I was just wondering if anyone has had any recent experience? The idea of tethering would be pretty sweet but I know my 30D is on the older end and might not be able to.

I've used the card reader part of the connection kit plenty, and it works great. Immediately launches into the photo import wizard thing, only shows 1 image even if you shoot in JPG+RAW, and imports rather quickly. It's very nice if you want to get periodic feedback on your shots. Tethering will be more immediate.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

mclifford82 posted:

I've used the card reader part of the connection kit plenty, and it works great. Immediately launches into the photo import wizard thing, only shows 1 image even if you shoot in JPG+RAW, and imports rather quickly. It's very nice if you want to get periodic feedback on your shots. Tethering will be more immediate.

Are you using the ipad 3? most of the reviews I've seen say the CCK has issues but that was for ios5..I can always return it so it's not a huge deal though.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Photex posted:

Are you using the ipad 3? most of the reviews I've seen say the CCK has issues but that was for ios5..I can always return it so it's not a huge deal though.

iPad 3 no issues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CCK has worked fine on my wife's OG iPad for years. The import takes an eternity to copy off a 16GB SD, but it handles RAW files well and doesn't crash.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm looking at buying a new flash. I used to shoot on manual film cameras only, so I bought a manual-only flash, and it worked out pretty well.

Now, however, I've switched to digital and have entered a whole new confusing world of TTL crap. Since I have a manual flash that I could use in studio situations, I'm looking for a TTL flash to use at events and walkabouts that I won't have to fiddle with nonstop. I just want something that will meter and adjust the flash accordingly, with whatever flash compensation I set in camera.

I'm a cheapskate and can't afford an official Canon Speedlite, so I'm looking at alternatives.

Bower SFD728C TTL Autofocus Flash for Canon E-TTL II - $38
YongNuo YN-468 II E-TTL Speedlite With LCD Display, for Canon 50D 40D T1i Xsi XS - $89
Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon $160

Since I'm looking for something full-auto, is there any reason not to go with the cheapest option? It says it has ETTL II, which I'm assuming is the most current technology there, and seems to have decent power behind it. What would I be gaining for $50 or $120 more?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Since I'm looking for something full-auto, is there any reason not to go with the cheapest option? It says it has ETTL II, which I'm assuming is the most current technology there, and seems to have decent power behind it. What would I be gaining for $50 or $120 more?

I only shoot Canon Flashes so I can't comment on those brands. However, "full auto", what ever that means, has me a little worried. I'm a big fan of TTL myself, but TTL by itself is never 100% correct. It needs a fine tuning via the flash exposure compensation. A lot of times I will have to dial down the flash just a little bit. The use of the word "full auto" makes me think you can't do that.

One thing nice about Canon cameras is that you can adjust the flash exposure compensation (or any setting really) from the back of your camera. Personally, I wouldn't want to use a flash that didn't support that feature. I have no idea if any of the flashes you listed do that.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I have a 468-II and it works with canon's on-body flash exposure compensation controls.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Spime Wrangler posted:

I have a 468-II and it works with canon's on-body flash exposure compensation controls.

Yes, this is what I meant by "auto"... no need to fiddle with the flash, but still able to fiddle with the compensation on the camera. Of course I understand the need for flash exposure compensation.

Cool, the 468-II is what I'm leaning toward, so that's good to hear.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I shoot mainly video on my 5d mkIII, but I'm looking for something portable to backup/transfer my cards in the field. I shoot 32gb cards that fill up relatively quickly, all things considered, so I would need something with enough battery life to copy I would say at least 72-108gb of data before dying. The only device I'm finding that seems to accomplish this is the Nexto Di Digital Photo Storage ND2730 500gb, but it's kind of expensive and outdated, so I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I shoot mainly video on my 5d mkIII, but I'm looking for something portable to backup/transfer my cards in the field. I shoot 32gb cards that fill up relatively quickly, all things considered, so I would need something with enough battery life to copy I would say at least 72-108gb of data before dying. The only device I'm finding that seems to accomplish this is the Nexto Di Digital Photo Storage ND2730 500gb, but it's kind of expensive and outdated, so I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

a laptop

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

I have a laptop, it's way too bulky to carry around with me in addition to all my gear. I need something simpler and smaller.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I have a laptop, it's way too bulky to carry around with me in addition to all my gear. I need something simpler and smaller.

a smaller laptop

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Those solutions don't exist anymore. He gave you the smallest simplest answer other than the card dump you linked.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html;js...Id=250656732381

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
If a laptop is too bulky then just buy a bunch more CF cards.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Hilarious photo dump solution: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Vision-Widescreen-Multimedia-Player/dp/B000IF4TPY

Honestly get a netbook or more cards.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

If a laptop is too bulky then just buy a bunch more CF cards.

Well I wanted an onsite backup solution and I generally don't have the luxury of setting up a laptop somewhere, but fair enough, I guess that's that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Why not buy a bunch of SD cards and copy from the CF to the SD card in camera? Is time an issue?

e. Or just tether the camera to a laptop for the whole shoot.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Well I wanted an onsite backup solution and I generally don't have the luxury of setting up a laptop somewhere, but fair enough, I guess that's that.

A netbook + cardreader wont use much battery life and is more portable than you give it credit. The price of one netbook is the same as 2 32gig 90mb/sec CF cards.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

Why not buy a bunch of SD cards and copy from the CF to the SD card in camera? Is time an issue?

yeah generally I'm popping in a new card and shooting right away again.

I guess a netbook does make a lot of sense, but I thought netbooks didn't really have any storage space? So netbook + external portable drive?

edit: guess it's been a while since i've looked at small laptops, there's an Acer with a 320gb hard drive for like $250.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 30, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

Or RAW to the CF and JPEG backups to the SD.

You do have some other options out there, but I don't know if any of them are particularly good: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Portable-Data-Storage/ci/3369/N/4083163867 The Sanho one with a 1TB drive looks like the best bet, but it's more expensive than a netbook sooooo...

Edit: external makes sense, or it's generally easy to plop a bigger drive in. 1tb laptop drives aren't super expensive.

Double edit: that Sanho has a user replaceable drive so it'd actually be more like $400 to get it and a 1TB drive to drop in.

powderific fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 30, 2013

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

yeah the thing about the Sanho is that the one touch copy thing is a definite plus, and the fewer cables tying things to each other, the better. But I do understand the silliness of buying something that has one function for more than a fully functional laptop, especially one that weighs less than 3 lbs (I've got a 17" macbook that weighs a lot more than that so my point of reference was obviously way off.)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like you can get it without any hard drive so all in you'd be looking at $340 with 1TB drive. Which isn't that bad really. I dunno, if it worked for you I don't think it'd be that silly. It's easy to underestimate how much difference size can make on useability for something like that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s too bad it’s a dead tech now, apparently. This is the brand I used to use.

It was nice to be able to put a card in it and put it back in the bag or even a coast pocket while it does its thing. That’s not at all possible with a notebook.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You can get a cheap Android tablet, a card reader and an external hard drive to do it. It will be slow as molasses but it is possible.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems like the whole being able to drop it into a bag while it does its thing could make the Sanho or whatever well worth it for certain people, assuming they work well enough.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
What's the best monitor I can get for photo editing under $300? Closer to $200 the better.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

What's the best monitor I can get for photo editing under $300? Closer to $200 the better.

Someone recommended this one. At least I assume they did, I can't think of another reason I would have saved it in my wishlist. http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSha...d=I11T72H6CWJPX

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Cool, I have heard the dell ips monitors are the way to go, but didn't know which ones.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
I'm thinking of getting a Nikon D7100 as my first DSLR. Is the kit lens worth getting or should I just get the body + 1.8 50mm Nikkor lens for around the same price.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Skip the kit lens and get the 50, it's a solid lens and if a little tight for a walkaround lens on a crop body, better quality than the kit.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Not sure about the fast prime vs. mid-range zoom, but you might want to be considering the 35mm instead of the 50mm. 50mm is a bit long to be using as your only lens on a crop body, I think.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Reichstag posted:

Cool, I have heard the dell ips monitors are the way to go, but didn't know which ones.

I own the 24" of that monitor and enjoy it. It's also 16:10, which is cool. Not sure what the difference between M and HM are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

smallmouth posted:

I own the 24" of that monitor and enjoy it. It's also 16:10, which is cool. Not sure what the difference between M and HM are.

I ended up going with a used copy of that monitor actually, for them extra pixels.