Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Yeah it's pretty obvious which ads are referral based, Ting/Stamps.com/Tonx etc., where they can go completely bonkers with the ad delivery. I think it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Nobody's perfect. Good Charlotte taught us that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I could listen to them talk poo poo about Ready For Love forever.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
I'll be damned if Nerd Poker hasn't become my current most anticipated weekly podcast... and this is coming from someone who's never played D&D before.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Yeah, its great. It needs to be longer than an hour though. The combination of 1 hour + DM who doesnt know the rules means not a whole lot of stuff happens. What they really should have done is just play 2nd edition or whatever version it is that they are all familiar with. Going blind into a podcast with a system nobody in the room really knew was a weird idea.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
To me Nerd Poker is just like real poker - unbelievably boring unless you're playing.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

It's certainly not for everybody. It also helped me realize Brian Posehn isn't that funny.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

jyrka posted:

To me Nerd Poker is just like real poker - unbelievably boring unless you're playing.

Yeah, I agree with this. I was expecting a lot more comedy in this comedy podcast. I don't know anything about D&D but I also never watch reality shows at all and Reality Show Show is one of my favorites.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Evil Agita posted:

Yeah, its great. It needs to be longer than an hour though. The combination of 1 hour + DM who doesnt know the rules means not a whole lot of stuff happens. What they really should have done is just play 2nd edition or whatever version it is that they are all familiar with. Going blind into a podcast with a system nobody in the room really knew was a weird idea.

It's pretty amazing how slowly paced the adventure is. :goonsay: My players would never put up with that...

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Evil Agita posted:

It's certainly not for everybody. It also helped me realize Brian Posehn isn't that funny.

His last standup album didn't do that for you?

I still think he's a good comedic actor, but yeah his standup is pretty pedestrian. Especially compared to Patton Oswalt, who talks about almost the same exact subjects but in a far, far smarter and funnier way.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Ive never heard any of his albums. Really only ever saw him on comedians of comedy and he came off fine. I'll admit I liked the idea of this podcast better when it was Patton's idea, and it was supposed to include him and Hardwick.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Tomorrow's live episode is The Fogelnest Files with Kulap and Howard Kremer. I'm looking forward to this, I think the Fogelnest Files will work pretty good as a video podcast. And also, I'd listen to Kremer talk about the phone book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd love for someone to animate a Nerd Poker adventure with the NPCs having to mouth out all the urr's and umm's the DM puts in their dialog.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
This week's How Did This Get Made was a pretty good one. It cracked me up to hear about June's taste in comedy. Them sticking to calling Stallone "Sylvester" the whole time just struck me as silly for most of the podcast, but towards the end Jason almost called him Stallone and stopped himself to call him Sylvester and that cracked me up. Nobody commented on it or anything, it was just a small moment, but after the whole podcast I guess it had just looped back around to hilarious for me.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

URRRRRRRRRRRRRRG for real, how can Eric the paid intern not get these goddamn video podcasts ready for broadcast by the time their audio versions are posted a full week later.

It's such a mild thing to complain about, but poo poo, Earwolf, if you're gonna do this thing, do it right, otherwise no one's going to care.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Dark Weasel posted:

URRRRRRRRRRRRRRG for real, how can Eric the paid intern not get these goddamn video podcasts ready for broadcast by the time their audio versions are posted a full week later.

It's such a mild thing to complain about, but poo poo, Earwolf, if you're gonna do this thing, do it right, otherwise no one's going to care.
Thank you, I felt like the pettiest nerd in the world to get worked up about this, but come on Earwolf :mad:

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 2, 2013

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Honestly with nobody saying where the delay is coming from I have no idea who to blame. Is it VPN? Is it Earwolf? Is is the advertisers? Who knows, nobody says anything, it's absolute silence until it randomly shows up! Too bad Jeff never posts anymore, he might be able to actually answer something. From now on I'm going to try to download the Youtube stream before they make it private and avoid this whole mess.

VVV I only look for the Improv4Humans ones, the physical cues add another layer of comedy plus it can be hilarious to see how much they're enjoying themselves.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 2, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Given the amount of complaints, can I ask what's the appeal of video podcasts? Podcasts are the bee's knees because they make driving, working, exercising, doing the dishes, etc less boring. Why watch something that's an auditory medium?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Specifically the ones with the best podcasters- the Dalys, the Bessers, the Tompkinses- are treasured because the comedic prowess of these personalities is manifested in visual physical form as well as aural, and if you don't get to go to comedy or improv shows in major cities you will rarely see the whole package displayed in front of you. That said, I usually don't find time to watch most of the VPN podcasts.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Given the amount of complaints, can I ask what's the appeal of video podcasts? Podcasts are the bee's knees because they make driving, working, exercising, doing the dishes, etc less boring. Why watch something that's an auditory medium?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4_Sep7on8E

Says it all. :colbert:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd love for someone to animate a Nerd Poker adventure with the NPCs having to mouth out all the urr's and umm's the DM puts in their dialog.

Don't forget the constant mouth breathing. Amarth just constantly winded and sighing.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

Specifically the ones with the best podcasters- the Dalys, the Bessers, the Tompkinses- are treasured because the comedic prowess of these personalities is manifested in visual physical form as well as aural, and if you don't get to go to comedy or improv shows in major cities you will rarely see the whole package displayed in front of you. That said, I usually don't find time to watch most of the VPN podcasts.

Yeah. Really the only ones I care to watch are the occasional live-with-an-audience episodes of various shows, or Improv4Humans, since it's interesting to see, uncut, how the performers shape the flow of their scenes, how they animate them, and how they occasionally crack each other up. I would never prefer a video podcast to an audio one in general—I think most complaints are stemming from the fact that the video shows are being made available so late after their audio versions that their availability feels redundant. I'm certainly not going to delay listening to a show I like for weeks just so I can see the video version, after all. If they were available simultaneously, it'd be different.

Either way, the latest I4H was hilarious.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Mozi posted:

VVV I only look for the Improv4Humans ones, the physical cues add another layer of comedy plus it can be hilarious to see how much they're enjoying themselves.

Yeah same. I4H has become one of my favs after Comedy Bing Bong and the Best Show

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I like Howard Kremer a lot more when he's a guest on someone else's podcast where he doesn't have to (try to, and fail at) drive the conversation and can instead just react to what the host is saying/doing. I'm actually laughing at the things he says on Fogelnest's podcast, which is something I very rarely do with Who Charted.

His music is still awful though.

e: I've never watched Fogelnest Files, is it basically just about showing weird Youtube videos and talking about them? I kinda like Fogelnest and would listen to more of it, but I don't really have any interest in watching/listening to people making fools of themselves. Apparently I'm the only one. I like it when I4H does it but that's only because they're usually a good jumping off point for them.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 3, 2013

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Greggy posted:

This week's How Did This Get Made was a pretty good one. It cracked me up to hear about June's taste in comedy. Them sticking to calling Stallone "Sylvester" the whole time just struck me as silly for most of the podcast, but towards the end Jason almost called him Stallone and stopped himself to call him Sylvester and that cracked me up. Nobody commented on it or anything, it was just a small moment, but after the whole podcast I guess it had just looped back around to hilarious for me.

Betty White's Off Their Rockers is obviously terrible, but getting stoned and watching it with one's wife sounds like marital bliss to me all the same.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

e: I've never watched Fogelnest Files, is it basically just about showing weird Youtube videos and talking about them? I kinda like Fogelnest and would listen to more of it, but I don't really have any interest in watching/listening to people making fools of themselves. Apparently I'm the only one. I like it when I4H does it but that's only because they're usually a good jumping off point for them.

There's a lot of defense of the people in the videos, surprisingly. Fogelnest himself usually stands up for the passion of whatever weird people they're watching, although he does kowtow to the guests a lot. Listen to a couple of episodes, they're not really that long. I'm a fan of the in-studio ones. The Sklar Brothers episode is one of my favourites.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The best Fognelnest Files episode is the Andy Kindler one, because come on, he's showing Andy Kindler old hacky comics from the 80s.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

The best Fognelnest Files episode is the Andy Kindler one, because come on, he's showing Andy Kindler old hacky comics from the 80s.

That does sound pretty awesome.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Not sure if you listen to the Todd Glass Show, but on episode 25 Kindler's a guest and they have the best extended discussion on Shut Uppa You Face

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm one of the few who like Garlin's podcast, but I don't know if I'm willing to sit through anything involving Michael Moore. Has anyone taken the leap? Is it a good episode?

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

The Berzerker posted:

I'm one of the few who like Garlin's podcast, but I don't know if I'm willing to sit through anything involving Michael Moore. Has anyone taken the leap? Is it a good episode?

It's OK. It's got some good stuff on it. It's obviously not as good as when he has on comedians but they have some good discussions. It's not too political.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

j8910 posted:

It's OK. It's got some good stuff on it. It's obviously not as good as when he has on comedians but they have some good discussions. It's not too political.

myy deeeeaaadddd

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just listening to the latest Improv4Humans and they did a scene prompted by DemoniusX's fleshlight video.
Incredible.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just listening to the latest Improv4Humans and they did a scene prompted by DemoniusX's fleshlight video.
Incredible.

Lauren Lapkus' face during the video is so funny.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
when is that video going to be released? I can't find it

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Probably on thursday given their track-record. I think it was only one time they released it on the same day as the audio, and that was only CBB.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The last segment where it goes into the sponsorship of Improv 4 Humans is brilliant. I especially loved the fake new sponsors.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Incredible.

Yeah, I was completely blown away by the last episode, it was an all-timer. The video before his (the creepy, whispering guy) sounded strange as hell, too, I'd have liked to see their reactions to it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I4H was a clusterfuck this week. But I mean that in the most positive way possible. It went off the rails so much but I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

There's a post on the Earwolf forums that says that VPN videos will be posted the Monday after the episode is out, so it doesn't interfere with listens or something.