Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Well, it had some really yellow parts, and yellow is kind of like brown I guess? :effort:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Croisquessein posted:

sometimes the second movie is pretty good, but then there's a super suckass third movie that spoils the whole thing and makes us feel bad for liking the first two. Let's just be happy we got to see a really cool movie.

I see we both bear the mark of the Phantasm fan. :|

To me the best "Dredd" video game would be a total conversion of like Watch Dogs, Arkham City or Crackdown or some other near-future open world game that already has exaggerated action and busting criminals violently as the focus of the game.

Right now the best Dredd games are the choose your own adventure one on iOS and Rebellion's FPS. The latter mainly because one of the coop modes in it is literally Left 4 Dead except only headshots permanently kill them and the game came out five years prior.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Left 4 Dredd

E: How about a Mega City One sandbox game where you're a criminal but you're constantly fighting Judges and Dredd is basically Nemesis from Resident Evil and you'd better loving run.

Oh, this isn't the dream up licensed video game thread?

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 1, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
A Judge Dredd game you say. Hm, how about this:

A ruthless criminal has acquired launch codes of a satellite carrying nuclear weapons.
He threatens to level the Hall of Justice in 48 hours unless the judges step down and hold democratic elections.

You, Judge Dredd, have been personally picked by the Chief Judge, to find and punish the the mad man before it is too late.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TheJoker138 posted:

Maybe the part where it's not funny and also ugly as poo poo? Literally in a lot of cases. I'm talking about how almost all of the movie is brown, and flat, where the brown characters blend into the brown backgrounds. It's no surprise that the cinematographer is now doing things like A Haunted House and a segment of Movie 43.

Did you watch a busted transfer or something? This objectively does not describe War Zone, irrespective of quality.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

War Zone has Ray Stevenson in it, holy poo poo.
Now I definitely have to see it.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
The only bad parts of Punisher: War Zone are his flashbacks that try to tell a story the movie isn't really interested in telling.

Anyone who enjoyed that movie should listen to the How Did That Get Made podcast, which guest stars Patton Oswalt and Lexi Alexander (the director) it is both a hilarious and enlightening look at how a movie like that happens. It is worth it for the Freddie Prinze Jr. story alone.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Has the old game Dredd vs. Death been brought up? It's pretty great for what it was at the time. Something modern in similar fashion would be awesome.
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/judge_dredd_dredd_vs_death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvLnK0kOUh4

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Marketing New Brain posted:

The only bad parts of Punisher: War Zone are his flashbacks that try to tell a story the movie isn't really interested in telling.

Anyone who enjoyed that movie should listen to the How Did That Get Made podcast, which guest stars Patton Oswalt and Lexi Alexander (the director) it is both a hilarious and enlightening look at how a movie like that happens. It is worth it for the Freddie Prinze Jr. story alone.

The commentary track with the director is pretty amusing too. At one point she says (paraphrasing):

:j: "IT HAS A GUY WITH A FACE LIKE A BASEBALL, WHAT PART OF THAT SEEMS SERIOUS TO YOU?!"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This is the last I'll say about War Zone here, but while you can find some shots that are ugly, garish, and neon in it, most of the film does in fact look like this:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TheJoker138 posted:

This is the last I'll say about War Zone here, but while you can find some shots that are ugly, garish, and neon in it, most of the film does in fact look like this:

Neither of those shots are brown. Are you color blind? I'm not even being sarcastic, these shots do not look the way you are describing them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Neither of those shots are brown. Are you color blind? I'm not even being sarcastic, these shots do not look the way you are describing them.

The first one is nothing but brown. The 2nd is more yellow, but it's a muddy yellow and one of the guys is wearing brown and the street is brown. There is no contrast at all between the characters and the backgrounds in either of them, they're totally flat to the point where I'm wondering if the guy lighting them even knows what an edge light is. They're ugly as poo poo. The whole movie is ugly as poo poo in a variety of different ways, but these are the ones that have stuck with me the most since seeing it. I also remember the neon subway, which was stupid in other ways.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheJoker138 posted:

Man those are beautiful.

You're not color-blind, you're color-bigoted?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

effectual posted:

Man those are beautiful.

I've known actual cinematographers who have literally laughed out loud when asked about how this movie looked. But this is CD and all, and I knew that this was going to happen in this debate, and should never have gotten into it in the first place. Agree to disagree.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Warzone uses colors to convey the factions and areas. Yellow is the bad guys, green is the cops, blu is the punisher, red is Frank Castle.

In the one shot, shows bad guys in bad area. In the other, it shows Punisher in the bad guys area, doing really really bad poo poo.

Edit: Seriously, the movie is heavily color coded. Not sure if I know what that code is though.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 2, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The recent developments in this thread caused me to order the Punisher: War Zone Blu-Ray on Amazon after I realized I didn't already have it :allears:

So thanks, TheJoker138. You saying you hated it made me want to rewatch it to reaffirm my love for it, only to realize that it wasn't already part of my collection. And now that's being rectified.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The recent developments in this thread caused me to order the Punisher: War Zone Blu-Ray on Amazon after I realized I didn't already have it :allears:

So thanks, TheJoker138. You saying you hated it made me want to rewatch it to reaffirm my love for it, only to realize that it wasn't already part of my collection. And now that's being rectified.

Happy to be of service. This reminds me that I need to pick up the 2004 Punisher movie on blu ray one of these days. And that I'm still angry the 89 one has never had a proper director's cut release over here...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

Happy to be of service. This reminds me that I need to pick up the 2004 Punisher movie on blu ray one of these days. And that I'm still angry the 89 one has never had a proper director's cut release over here...

I still need to watch the '89 Punisher one of these days! I've seen the 2004 one a bunch of times, but never seen the Lundgren Punisher. It's been on my list for years but I always forget it exists.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I still need to watch the '89 Punisher one of these days! I've seen the 2004 one a bunch of times, but never seen the Lundgren Punisher. It's been on my list for years but I always forget it exists.

It's a fantastic lovely 80's action movie. At one point the Punisher takes an elevator up to a Yakuza hideout, and when the doors open, there are a bunch of sword wielding ninjas. He then mows them all down with an M60.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

It's a fantastic lovely 80's action movie. At one point the Punisher takes an elevator up to a Yakuza hideout, and when the doors open, there are a bunch of sword wielding ninjas. He then mows them all down with an M60.

:stare:

Okay, yeah, I'm gonna need to see that. Sounds ridiculous in a similar vein to War Zone, but maybe not since you liked that one but didn't like WZ?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Okay, yeah, I'm gonna need to see that. Sounds ridiculous in a similar vein to War Zone, but maybe not since you liked that one but didn't like WZ?

Punisher 89 is the movie War Zone wanted to be. But it's more honest. War Zone seemed like someone trying really, really hard to make an 80's throwback movie and not doing a very good job, Punisher 89 has no irony, but also no illusions about what it is. It's a hyper violent Dolph Lundgren movie about a guy who murders dudes. And sometimes sits naked in a sewer. So I will warn you to be ready to see some Lundgren balls.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Sounds like a good variation of the classic Indiana Jones short-lived sword fight scene.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TheJoker138 posted:

So I will warn you to be ready to see some Lundgren balls.

That seems less like a warning than an invitation.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TheJoker138 posted:

I saw The Fifth Sense/Crime Stinks: The Smell of Penetration so I think I'm ready.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Hewlett posted:

That seems less like a warning than an invitation.

drat right. And double-bill it with Showdown in Little Tokyo while you're at it.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Riso posted:

A Judge Dredd game you say. Hm, how about this:

A ruthless criminal has acquired launch codes of a satellite carrying nuclear weapons.
He threatens to level the Hall of Justice in 48 hours unless the judges step down and hold democratic elections.

You, Judge Dredd, have been personally picked by the Chief Judge, to find and punish the the mad man before it is too late.

And if you start running out of time you can just play your ocarina.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I've known actual cinematographers who have literally laughed out loud when asked about how this movie looked.

This is so dumb. I know actual cinematographers who really like how this film looked, but I don't know what either or our statements prove.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that Punisher: War Zone is the cinematic equivalent to the architectural brutalism movement... Not everyone is going to like it, but it is purposely the way it is. And not in some lovely "trolling the audience, supposed to be bad" sort of way.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

TheJoker138 posted:

An impressive sight, apparently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC9OuCIEwJI&t=420s

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Enough with the Punisher wankfest, this is a Dredd thread!

Therefore it is time for you to see this 27 minutes long fan film about an old judge retiring and bringing the law to the mutant wastes: http://cinetropolis.net/judge-minty-fan-film-now-completed/

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So Karl Urban had breakfast with the director of Dredd, Alex Garland, the other day, and he had this to say about a sequel:

Karl Urban posted:

Interestingly enough, I did have breakfast with Alex Garland this morning. It’s not off the agenda. Clearly everyone has woken up to the fact that an audience has found this movie and loves it. It’s entirely possible, and if people want to see another installment then they should be vocal about that, because, it can happen. The power of fandom can resurrect projects. In fact, that’s what happened with Star Trek. They weren’t going to do a third season until fans did a letter writing campaign and they continued that series.
http://collider.com/dredd-2-sequel-news-karl-urban/

Dear God I hope so.

edit- I'm usually not into this stuff, but, here is a form where you can contact the company that funded Dredd, since he mentioned mailing letters specifically.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 16, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

GonSmithe posted:

So Karl Urban had breakfast with the director of Dredd, Alex Garland, the other day, and he had this to say about a sequel:

http://collider.com/dredd-2-sequel-news-karl-urban/

Dear God I hope so.

Don't you loving toy with my emotions, Karl. Don't you loving do it. :mad:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

gently caress yea. I'll go see it twice if its good, in full IMAX 3D (even though it wasn't filmed in IMAX; only 3d) to make up for the first one I missed.

Probably a little early to get excited, but even when it was posted here that DVD sales wouldn't bring it back Its hard to take that as a permanent no. Urban states exactly how things can turn around, even when the people in charge say no.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I feel that's more a threat than anything, the third season of Star Trek was the worst.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I liked Dredd better than Iron Man 3, does anyone else agree?

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

KoRMaK posted:

I easily liked Dredd more than every other comic book movie except maybe the The Dark Knight.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

It would be so great to have a sequel. I really do think the bad box office was due to a mix of not just crappy marketing, but the public being initially put off due to the Stallone film - many likely thought it was a sequel to that piece of poo poo. The exceptional Blu-ray/DVD/VOD performance could easily be pointed to as evidence that these initial misconceptions have been largely fixed due to the positive word-of-mouth the film has received, suggesting that a sequel would fare far better.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KoRMaK posted:

I'm a sad pathetic Irom Man fanboi who loved IM3 to death...... but I concede how utterly correct this is.

I think it's true what Urban's saying about Dredd finding an audience - it seems to have really caught attention on it's DVD release and positive word of mouth has spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

The 194/Drokk albums are amazing. I would unironically love for a modern film to be made with a synthesised soundtrack like these.

Dredd was better than IM3, but that's low hanging fruit. It doesn't really bear comparison with superhero movies other than Punisher really.

• Locked thread