Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's called a Cibachrome print. Unfortunately, the materials have been discontinued.

I've heard that it may return, or may have returned, or something like that. B&H has 16x20 sheets and developer available for order (under the newer "Ilfochrome" name), though the lead time is 2-4 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I'm selling these fine cameras over in the Buy/Sell thread.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm going all film for my US trip starting next week, I'm only taking over 3 cameras, Instax 100, Fuji GW690ii and either the mju:ii or ME super. It'll be Portra 400/Acros 100 in the Fuji and Tri-X in the 35mm (which I've never shot before).

I thought about the Bronica SQ-Ai with the backs and extra lenses, but it does get to be a drag when you're carrying it around all day and only end up shooting the 80mm and Portra.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004
So I'm sure this has been said, but yes I'll be able to buy Kodak 35mm film now and for the near future? What about price hikes like Fuji is doing?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

I'm going all film for my US trip starting next week, I'm only taking over 3 cameras, Instax 100, Fuji GW690ii and either the mju:ii or ME super. It'll be Portra 400/Acros 100 in the Fuji and Tri-X in the 35mm (which I've never shot before).

I thought about the Bronica SQ-Ai with the backs and extra lenses, but it does get to be a drag when you're carrying it around all day and only end up shooting the 80mm and Portra.
Film-only for a trip - you're a braver man than I. I salute you!

I have no advice to give except to suggest (frothing slightly at the mouth, eyes wider than they should be) the ME Super over the mju:ii ahead of Mr. Despair. Actually, why not both? The mju:ii is tiny, just stuff it in a pocket and forget about it.

Tri-X is great.

I'm looking forward to the pictures from your trip. You're going to Joshua Tree, right?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

So I'm sure this has been said, but yes I'll be able to buy Kodak 35mm film now and for the near future? What about price hikes like Fuji is doing?

The film division being sold to a pension fund is probably the best thing that could happen (ok not as good as being sold to ilford or maco or freestyle but still). The pension fund will be concerned with creating and maintaining a loooong term cash positive business model. Expect further consolidation of the lineup and likely some price increases, but along with it a longer term vision/product roadmap. I hope.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

Since you're going to be in southern California (I assume you're flying into LAX?) have you considered just buying film at the Freestyle store? I know you Aussies get all kind of ripped off at home.

ExecuDork posted:

Film-only for a trip - you're a braver man than I. I salute you!

I have no advice to give except to suggest (frothing slightly at the mouth, eyes wider than they should be) the ME Super over the mju:ii ahead of Mr. Despair. Actually, why not both? The mju:ii is tiny, just stuff it in a pocket and forget about it.

Tri-X is great.

I'm looking forward to the pictures from your trip. You're going to Joshua Tree, right?

Why does it require bravery? Plenty of poo poo can go wrong whether you use digital or film. I went film-only for my Iceland trip last year and don't regret it in the least. I also went with the big camera/tiny camera strategy with my Chamonix and XA. The ME Super is great, but a point and shoot is perfect for when you don't have the time to carefully meter/set up a shot, and when you do, why not use the Fuji?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, I'd probably bring the mju too, don't want to have too many cameras for each situation, otherwise you're just bringing deadweight.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MrBlandAverage posted:

Why does it require bravery?
It requires bravery for me - I'm pretty clumsy and the risks during development are enough that I don't shoot film for anything that I think is important. Film for me is always playing around, seeing if something works, while I reach for my DSLR when it's something I think will end up as a photo I want to show to other people. I manage to produce a photo I'm really happy with on film about once a year, shooting maybe 20 rolls in a year. It's hard to compare my film shots to my digital because my attitude when shooting each is pretty different.

Entirely subjective, of course - this is only a comment on my skills and practices, not on anybody else's. Every time I pick up a film camera I think about the rolls I've mangled in development. Every time I pick up my DSLR I think about the shots ruined by high-ISO noise - in my opinion, high-ISO film produces grain, which can be quite attractive, while high-ISO digital produces noise, which is distracting and annoying. Again, just personal opinions about my own experiences.

Good point about visiting the Freestyle store. Are their prices in-store the same as online? Shipping is death to Canada, I believe it is even worse to Australia, so a chance to load up on film for like $3/roll is pretty cool.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My friend lost three days of pictures on our trip to Iceland when his SD card failed. So it happens in the digital realm, too. Although he was asking for it using a cheap eBay high capacity card. It was a Transcend knock off, and Transcend is already a cheap brand that I've had trouble with.

Edit: forgot to mention that I had planned to bring my Zeiss Contarex, but between the weight and the value, I left it at home. Boy, do I regret that.

E2: Dammit, too many similar names. Contarex not Contaflex

carticket fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 1, 2013

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

ExecuDork posted:

I'm pretty clumsy and the risks during development are enough that I don't shoot film for anything that I think is important.

What the heck are you talking about, seriously? Apart from opening a camera where the roll hasn't been rewound and.. no, nothing else I can think of.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I went to Iceland about 2 years ago I took all this stuff:

I pretty much didn't shoot the ME Super, only shot a roll on the mju:ii, but I shot most most of the Ektarchrome and one roll of Acros 120 and shot 3 or 4 rolls on the spinner. I was traveling by myself in the very unurbanised Iceland, so the small camera's really didn't make too much sense in the end. And I used the tripod once for the whole trip.

As for this US trip, my gf is from Orange County and all her family is there, but I bought all my film from the film photography podcast's online store (I know the podcast isn't everyones cup of tea) and had it shipped to her parents place. I thought about going to Freestyle but after pricing it out, the podcast guys were quite a bit cheaper, I really recommend you check out their prices, shipping (and international shipping ExecuDork) is really good value too.

As for the trip (I've never been to the US!), we're going to Palm Springs/Joshua tree, all OC type stuff (Disneyland, Angels baseball etc etc), then Yosemite and San Fran, and then New York for a wedding, I've got a conference in Ottawa for 5 or 6 days, and then probably San Diego and lots of places in and around LA. So carting enough just to fill my Domke F-6 will be good, rather than all that junk posted above, the LX-3 will be along for the ride too, just in the gf's hands.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm planning on driving from Seattle to upstate New York in june with just my Chamonix and Hasselblad. I considered also hauling a 35mm but I doubt I would shoot it much.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I haven't gone anywhere with any more than film since 2010. It's not that bad.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

maxmars posted:

What the heck are you talking about, seriously? Apart from opening a camera where the roll hasn't been rewound and.. no, nothing else I can think of.
Getting the film out of the cannister without damaging the film (e.g. crumpled, kinked)
Loading the film onto the spiral - I've ruined multiple frames, or entire rolls, on both the plastic kind (with the good flanges) and the Hewes metal ones (hosed up the tension, there).
Using chemicals that may have gone off.
Using water at the wrong temperature.
Improper agitation.
Spilling toxic nastiness on myself.
Scratching the film when removing it from the tank
Poor cleaning
Mishandling / poor cutting the negatives
Scanner's film holder crumples the film

Like I said, clumsy. I haven't necessarily done all of those things, but enough of them to consider no picture "taken" until it's an image on my computer.

Why are people angry that I admire them for shooting film?

EDIT:

Spedman posted:

the podcast guys were quite a bit cheaper, I really recommend you check out their prices, shipping (and international shipping ExecuDork) is really good value too.

As for the trip (I've never been to the US!), we're going to Palm Springs/Joshua tree, all OC type stuff (Disneyland, Angels baseball etc etc), then Yosemite and San Fran, and then New York for a wedding, I've got a conference in Ottawa for 5 or 6 days, and then probably San Diego and lots of places in and around LA. So carting enough just to fill my Domke F-6 will be good, rather than all that junk posted above, the LX-3 will be along for the ride too, just in the gf's hands.
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check them out.
Sounds like a great trip you have planned.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

I don't think anyones angry, just surprised. To me film has always been the more permanent and harder to gently caress up medium. I have never accidentally formatted a roll of Portra

EDIT: Dude, if you have trouble loading reels shoot 4x5 :getin:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What percentage of posters in this thread have gone to Iceland. It seems awfully high. Of people I actually know, only my family, two of my friends, and a coworker have gone.

It's a beautiful place. I wish I had scheduled better and rented a car, but I still got a lot of great shots on the day trips. I just wish I had brought my SLR when we went out on the glacier, but instead I only had my G1 (phone).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

8th-samurai posted:

I don't think anyones angry, just surprised. To me film has always been the more permanent and harder to gently caress up medium. I have never accidentally formatted a roll of Portra

EDIT: Dude, if you have trouble loading reels shoot 4x5 :getin:

Yeah, I suspect that's quite true. And 4x5 scares (but deeply intrigues) me. A friend of a friend was selling a Horseman monorail about 6 months ago for a pretty good price, the main reason I didn't jump on it (besides an already-bleeding budget) was the... wait... why the gently caress didn't I get it?

I've never been to Iceland. I really want to go.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

Yeah, I suspect that's quite true. And 4x5 scares (but deeply intrigues) me. A friend of a friend was selling a Horseman monorail about 6 months ago for a pretty good price, the main reason I didn't jump on it (besides an already-bleeding budget) was the... wait... why the gently caress didn't I get it?

I've never been to Iceland. I really want to go.

Color 4x5 is LOL expensive but B&W is dirt cheap.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lost my Infinity Stylus Epic on a film shoot :smith: It's got my name and address on it so maybe it'll come back someday :unsmith:

Also picked up this on ebay

for €5, not bad.

Let's say I was stupid enough to shoot this... How much should I overexpose? I think it expired about... 40 years ago.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The rule of thumb is a stop for each decade unless it was frozen.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

ExecuDork posted:

Not angry, just surprised (ok, very surprised). As a somewhat clumsy person myself, I find digital just as prone to fuckups. Sorry if I sounded angry, I really wasn't.

Digital woes I had:

- deleting content of an SD card thinking it was the one you just copied (when in fact it was the one that you still had to copy)
- ruining an SD card just by having it in your pockets for a day (yep, lost a 32 gb card this way)
- don't get me started with digital camera batteries ("honey I thought YOU recharged it!")

The real problem I have with digital is that when you gently caress up something, you tend to lose a a lot of work (as opposed to max 36 shots).

By the way there's a lot you can do with little effort to make the film extraction and loading into reel a breeze. Small tips like shaping the leading part as an arrow or popping the flat part of the roll.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

I have never accidentally formatted a roll of Portra
This should never be a data-threatening event.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also picked up this on ebay

for €5, not bad.

Let's say I was stupid enough to shoot this... How much should I overexpose? I think it expired about... 40 years ago.

The problem will be development, it uses a no longer available process (CN17 or something like that), so you'll struggle to get any colour image from it. Probably try something like Rodinal or Diafine to get a black and white image out of it.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I enjoy my $10 Olympus 35 RC, even when it only sort of advances the film.

Ilford PAN 400.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

This should never be a data-threatening event.

What formating a roll of film?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

What formating a roll of film?
Yes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Shooting straight film is pretty scary, if only because I've gotten so used to checking my shots on a LCD. Of course nothing compares to the excitement of getting that fat envelope of prints in the mail.

But I was shocked. After being forced to shoot film on my last trip I actually had a pretty good ratio of good to bad shots. Like 2/3rd made the cut when it's usually the other way around.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Krispy Kareem posted:

Shooting straight film is pretty scary, if only because I've gotten so used to checking my shots on a LCD. Of course nothing compares to the excitement of getting that fat envelope of prints in the mail.

But I was shocked. After being forced to shoot film on my last trip I actually had a pretty good ratio of good to bad shots. Like 2/3rd made the cut when it's usually the other way around.

I seem to have better luck with film too, but I think a lot of that is from better/more skilled people processing my film than I do in post in Aperture.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Krispy Kareem posted:

Shooting straight film is pretty scary, if only because I've gotten so used to checking my shots on a LCD. Of course nothing compares to the excitement of getting that fat envelope of prints in the mail pulling the rolls out of the tank to hang.

Fixed that for ya :v:

The process (for me) of shooting film vs. shooting digital is different mainly in the time I spend per shot. I actually frickin' *compose* my shots with film, while I tend to snap a bit wildly with digital. On the other hand, quick snapshots are pretty often all I get when trying to shoot things like obnoxious little birds that goddam fly away as soon as I pull out something with a lens. :argh:

EDIT (the next day): Clearly I'm either a hypocrite or delusional. This morning, on my walk to work, I ran a roll of cheap 400 ISO film (24 exposures, stretched to about 26) through my Minolta X700, using my Bushnell 400mm f/6.3 supertele, entirely on birds. I probably won't get around to developing this roll for a long time, but there was enough light for good shutter speeds (1/500 for many shots, even at f/8 or f/11) and the birds were pretty cooperative.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 3, 2013

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004

maxmars posted:

Digital woes I had:

- deleting content of an SD card thinking it was the one you just copied (when in fact it was the one that you still had to copy)

You know if you format a card and don't continue to shoot on it, the pictures are easily recovered, right?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

After developing Fomapan 400 my Rodinal poured out green :3:

Also, the base is very blue.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So I'm really curious, if I'm pretty comfortable with the B&W process, how big of a jump is it to go to color, both film and printing?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Mr. Powers posted:

So I'm really curious, if I'm pretty comfortable with the B&W process, how big of a jump is it to go to color, both film and printing?

Processing the film is pretty much the same as B&W, but temperature control is a little more important. I've not done color printing, but reading about the process leads me to believe it's more involved than B&W.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

If you've got a decent darkroom setup with a colour head on the enlarger it can be a bit of fun, but unless you've got a Jobo setup it has to be done in complete darkness. But if you have to get a new enlarger head or filter set I wouldn't worry about it and just get scans printed.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

You know if you format a card and don't continue to shoot on it, the pictures are easily recovered, right?

Yes I've been using FAT filesystems since the early 80s.
The problem is, you don't always have it handy or have the possibility to download it right when you need it.
It's just an example of a terrible SNAFU that can happen with the press of a button (and it happened to me at the worst possible moment).

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

eggsovereasy posted:

Processing the film is pretty much the same as B&W, but temperature control is a little more important. I've not done color printing, but reading about the process leads me to believe it's more involved than B&W.

In the end you need a submerged heater, all the rest is stuff you already use for b/w.
Some people just use warm water out of the faucet.. It's possible because the only part that's really sensitive to temperature is the developing phase, which only last some three minutes. I mean, since the process is short, when you have the chemicals already at the right temperature, you don't actually need a heater.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Managed to shoot half a roll of HP5 at around 800 by accident then had my flatmate wander into my room and switch the light on when I was trying to load the film into the developing tank today. Not my best day of photography ever. Was rather staggered to discover after hanging the film out to dry that all my shots came out perfectly anyway. :psyduck:

Pray by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Dinosaur and Shark! by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Fossil by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Tapestry by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Rectangle by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Kinda makes me wonder what I'd have to do to really gently caress up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Holistic Detective posted:

Managed to shoot half a roll of HP5 at around 800 by accident

Kinda makes me wonder what I'd have to do to really gently caress up.

Shoot it at 100 and develop for 400 and you'd get quite dense, low-contrast negatives. Shoot it at 1600 and develop for 400 and you'd get rather thin, high contrast negatives. You'd have to be 3 or more stops off before the result becomes really bad.
Keep in mind that HP5+ is designed for pushing, the 135 cartridges actually have small checkboxes printed on them to remind yourself of the speed you shot it at, 400, 800 or 1600. But you can still get decent results even at 6400, as long as you increase development time accordingly, i.e. do push processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
Took my XA2 to the golf course

Scan20003