Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm happy to send it wherever (if it ever arrives with me, so far I've heard nothing from USPS or HMRC), but I'll let ExecuDork decide where he thinks it should go next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There's no point in planning too far in advance, but I'm fine with it going from one end of your small island to the other. Assuming it arrives in Scotland intact, that is.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I called up Parcelforce today (who apparently deliver for USPS in the UK) and paid £28.34 in import and customs duty. Apparently they were trying to deliver just to the University rather than my particular department so I never got the notice that it was being held. Anyway, the lady on the phone said it'd be redelivered tomorrow!

Dalax, I assume it's coming to you next unless anyone in the Central Belt wants it in which case I could hand it off to them in person?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

big scary monsters posted:

I called up Parcelforce today (who apparently deliver for USPS in the UK) and paid £28.34 in import and customs duty. Apparently they were trying to deliver just to the University rather than my particular department so I never got the notice that it was being held. Anyway, the lady on the phone said it'd be redelivered tomorrow!

Dalax, I assume it's coming to you next unless anyone in the Central Belt wants it in which case I could hand it off to them in person?

Sorry about the customs monies :(

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
No worries, at least it shouldn't cost me much to send it on within the UK. I'm actually away at a seminar tomorrow but hopefully I'll have the camera in my sweaty hands on Friday and can shoot some film over the weekend.

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

Happy to receive whenever but if it's coming straight to me email me at dalaxator at googlemail dot com for me location.

Scottish pics request: A wild Haggis, Gorns.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Will settle for highland cows and or a ned in its natural habitat.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have the camera, could someone please PM me the code for the lock? Also cheers whoever put a bunch of film in the box (pseudonordic?), I'll use some and add some more.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Code is in the OP: 1-5-1

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks. :downs:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ExecuDork posted:

This is all useful information, thank you! When it's in big scary monsters' big scary hands, can we get a total cost put together? It'd be nice to have that data for future AE-1 shooters, I'd like everyone to be able to avoid too many unpleasant (expensive) surprises.

With the total value declared as $100, it apparently cost $53.96 to ship the camera across the Atlantic to me, and I had to pay a further £28.34 ($43.44 today) in customs and import tax, so total cost to get it from pseudonordic to me was roughly $94.40. I'll add my shipping costs when I send it on to Dalax.

It was sent March 30 and arrived at the Edinburgh depot April 10, then sat there a further 7 days until I rang up Parcelforce and paid them to deliver it. It arrived at my work April 18, so it took 19 days door to door.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I remember getting that nasty surprise from customs when I ordered a Mamiya 645 from KEH while living in Scotland, duties ended up being nearly half what I paid for the camera. Thankfully we have the $1000 duties threshold for imports in Australia before you get charged (otherwise it'd be impossible to buy anything here at a reasonable price).

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

With the total value declared as $100, it apparently cost $53.96 to ship the camera across the Atlantic to me, and I had to pay a further £28.34 ($43.44 today) in customs and import tax, so total cost to get it from pseudonordic to me was roughly $94.40. I'll add my shipping costs when I send it on to Dalax.

It was sent March 30 and arrived at the Edinburgh depot April 10, then sat there a further 7 days until I rang up Parcelforce and paid them to deliver it. It arrived at my work April 18, so it took 19 days door to door.

I was also in for $10.90 for the batteries :v:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Is that a Scotland-specific thing or UK? I would have thought it would apply to the whole UK, but I know Scotland likes to assert its independence every so often.

Also, thanks very much for the summary of cost and time! Hopefully it won't discourage people from participating.

EDIT: A reminder - the cost to me to actually acquire the camera in the first place was $100 and it came with an awesome case, a flash, a Vivitar Series 1 70-210, and some minor accessories, none of which were included in the around-the-world project. The point is, the purchase price is rapidly overcome by shipping costs once something like this gets off the ground.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 19, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ExecuDork posted:

Is that a Scotland-specific thing or UK? I would have thought it would apply to the whole UK, but I know Scotland likes to assert its independence every so often.

Also, thanks very much for the summary of cost and time! Hopefully it won't discourage people from participating.

EDIT: A reminder - the cost to me to actually acquire the camera in the first place was $100 and it came with an awesome case, a flash, a Vivitar Series 1 70-210, and some minor accessories, none of which were included in the around-the-world project. The point is, the purchase price is rapidly overcome by shipping costs once something like this gets off the ground.

I could probably have found a workable AE-1 w/ 50mm lens for what I've put into this so far, but then I wouldn't have been able to sign my name in sharpie on that sweet-rear end Pelican case. :smug:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's UK wide. 20% import VAT plus duty and probably some processing fees. Only on goods coming from outside the EU, though.

I failed you today, Dorkroom. Walking alongside the river I met four wee laddies coming the other way, all with fiery red hair and in matching kilts, pushing their little sister in a pram. Didn't have the camera on me. :negative:

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

Ok, so I should have the camera in my hands by the end of next week. Will have to do a quick turnaround as I will be going on holiday from the middle of May. Where is it going next?

Also, noob question regarding uploading photos. All I have is a low range Canon all in one Printer/scanner. Is this going to cut it for getting my photos on the internet?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dalax posted:

Also, noob question regarding uploading photos. All I have is a low range Canon all in one Printer/scanner. Is this going to cut it for getting my photos on the internet?

In that case you're probably better off ordering scans from the lab. It won't be good, but probably still better than what your own scanner can pull off.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Unless we're suddenly convinced otherwise, it's going to Norway next.

Some Norwegian get in here and claim it.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Norway is the Bestway and I'm exited to see the photos that come from there.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Me or azathosk then. I think we are both in Oslo so we can probably do an awkward hand off too! Oh god don't make eye contact.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
And then up to me in Tromsų, just do Oslo first, as I'm going on vacation the first half of may.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cool, I thought there was somebody up north of the Arctic circle. Hey, this works extra-well - by the time it gets to Tromsų I'm guessing there will be 24-hour sunlight.

Laser Cow or azathosk, get in touch with Dalax and figure this out.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

by the time it gets to Tromsų I'm guessing there will be 24-hour sunlight.

It should indeed, we're almost there now and it should make for some great and weird light.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I forgot and left the Pelican case in my office today, but tomorrow I'll go get it and pawn the camera off for scag money send the camera down South to Dalax.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Laser Cow posted:

Me or azathosk then. I think we are both in Oslo so we can probably do an awkward hand off too! Oh god don't make eye contact.

You can have it first. I'm pretty busy in May.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I was just reminded that I haven't gotten the lovely digital camera yet from SoundMonkey.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

pseudonordic posted:

I was just reminded that I haven't gotten the lovely digital camera yet from SoundMonkey.

Who's the guy who suddenly went broke? This guy. It's on the way, fear not.

Speaking of which I have all these horrible snapshots sitting here that I should really post even if just to prove that I'm one of like two people who have actually taken photos with their camera :v:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yes! Post pictures! Post lovely pictures from a good camera! Post good pictures from a lovely camera! Post lovely pictures from a lovely camera! Post lovely pictures of a lovely camera!

PICTURES!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ExecuDork posted:

Yes! Post pictures! Post lovely pictures from a good camera! Post good pictures from a lovely camera! Post lovely pictures from a lovely camera! Post lovely pictures of a lovely camera!

PICTURES!

Calm down man, I did my part. :patriot:

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

azathosk posted:

You can have it first. I'm pretty busy in May.

Oh cool, I doubt it'll be here before end of May anyway but lets see what happens.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I suck and still haven't sent off the camera, but I promise it will be done tomorrow (today was a bank holiday). I have got back my film from the lab, though. Some problems with light leaks, I assume it was the film cartridge rather than the camera. Here are a couple of shots, could someone please send me the info to upload the rest to the blog?

Falcon Foodservice warehouse outside Stirling.

One way street, Oban.

Alloa glass works.

Halibut farm near Kilmelford.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SoundMonkey posted:

Who's the guy who suddenly went broke? This guy. It's on the way, fear not.

Updating to indicate that I got a crazygonuts gigantic paycheck, so this'll be off (maybe even with good shipping!) as soon as I can get down to the post office, which should be tomorrow or the next day.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One way street, Oban.

This is an important question: Why are all the fishies following the right direction sad, and the single one going the wrong way happy?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Tumblr details sent by PM.

I have a related question: what's with the Colosseum in the background? Are the fishies sacrifices to ancient Roman gladiators? :black101:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That fish is a free spirit and plays by no ones rules but his own.

The colloseum thing is McCaig's Tower, built by a rich Victorian as a monument to his own greatness. It was meant to have a museum and stuff but he died before it was finished so it's just the outer walls and some gardens.

e: Wealthy Georgians and Victorians loved the idea that they were living in Roman Empire II: Industrial Edition and built loads of faux Classical monuments, villas, follies and temples. I know of half a dozen off the top of my head, mostly slowly falling apart on country estates. Photographing them would probably make a cool project actually.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 6, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ExecuDork posted:

Tumblr details sent by PM.

Chiming in to remind everyone that the tumblr "post by e-mail" option only allows for 4 pictures per e-mail.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Just back from the post office, the camera is out of my hands at last. I sent it by ParcelForce 48, so Dalax should have it within 2 working days. Tracking number is FWGP4006471GB.

For those keeping track, it cost me £12.92 to send (weight was 2.52kg).

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 7, 2013

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

It has arrived at my work. As I cracked it open, the heady aroma of Irn Bru and the Internet emanated forth. Cheers bsm.

As I mentioned, I will be heading on holiday on Monday so I don't think I will be able to get it turned around before then, however I will not hang around once I'm back on the 20th of May.

To reflect it's now European status, perhaps a thread title change is in order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dalax posted:

To reflect it's now European status, perhaps a thread title change is in order?

Dalax posted:

the heady aroma of Irn Bru and the Internet

• Locked thread