Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fingertips posted:

Thanks for the feedback. Would you see yourself ever using this app on a regular basis to share moments with you friends / family?
Not much of the sharing type myself...but I could see my sister's kids having some fun with it at least next time I see them. Then again I'd be afraid of them filling up my camera roll with a crapload of well, crap. I was kind of thinking an internal camera roll/save area would be nice, but I don't know how much you want to add feature wise, like if it'd get away from the simplicity of the whole thing too much. Oh and a front/rear camera swap thing too, unless I'm just not seeing the button somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Are there any podcasts apps that would let me download mp3s into it that don't have their own RSS feed? A couple of the 'casts I listen to have bonus episodes that don't have their own RSS feeds, they're just posted to their website.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Downcast can do that. You copy the mp3 in via iTunes then there's an option in Tools called "File Import" or something like that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Question Mark Mound posted:

Downcast can do that. You copy the mp3 in via iTunes then there's an option in Tools called "File Import" or something like that.

It sounds like he wants something a bit more automated...

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Are there any podcasts apps that would let me download mp3s into it that don't have their own RSS feed? A couple of the 'casts I listen to have bonus episodes that don't have their own RSS feeds, they're just posted to their website.

For stuff like this (or for podcasts I'd like to hear an episode of without having to subscribe in Instacast), I have a folder in Instapaper called "Listen Later" which is full of standalone podcast episodes I come across. Since each folder comes with its own bookmarklet, I just click "Listen Later" on my bookmark bar, then I can listen to it in Instapaper whenever I want :)

Also works well for any music I'd like to check out sometime.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Seems Yahoo! bought Astrid. So much for that app. RIP.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Is there a way in twiterific to go straight to the first tweet instead of scrolling up when loading the new tweets?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got a few songs, probably an average number of apps, a shitload of photos, and a 16gb iPhone, which pretty much means I'm constantly running out of space...but not by much. Can someone tell me how it is that Apple hasn't added a "delete cache" function on the Manage Storage page yet? Buzzfeed app size: 5.6mb. Documents and data? 150mb. Instagram app size: 21mb, documents and data 650mb (which also leads me to ask just what the gently caress instagram is caching, because it's sure as hell not the photos I look at; at most, it'll save the last ten or so and everything past that is re-downloaded, even my own). Considering that I'm always down to about half a gig free, being able to easily clear these out (without deleting/reinstalling them, which is what I occasionally do now) would really help me.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 2, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
There was a brilliant app that someone posted a while back. Saved me like 2.5GB of cache space. Can't remember it though.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Phoneclean?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

That's the one

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Those guys need an English copywriter.

"create your iPhone space free"

"make your iPhone running faster"

"As we attached great importance to the safety of your personal info"

"bring up more free space to you"

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

bazaar apparatus posted:

Those guys need an English copywriter.

"create your iPhone space free"

"make your iPhone running faster"

"As we attached great importance to the safety of your personal info"

"bring up more free space to you"

This is an interesting program. I ran it and it removed 500mb from my iPhone, but my "Other" actually went up by about 200mb. :confused:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Dang, thanks. Went from 842mb free to 2.3gb. That's a bit more manageable.

petewhitley posted:

This is an interesting program. I ran it and it removed 500mb from my iPhone, but my "Other" actually went up by about 200mb. :confused:
It only promises to remove other app's temp files; it never said anything about not adding its own.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
iOS automatically deletes caches when it needs to, you know.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

PFlats posted:

iOS automatically deletes caches when it needs to, you know.

There's actually 2 cases where it doesn't:

The respring cache
Messages attachments cache in iOS versus below 6.1.2, if I recall correctly

In both cases, you could have gigabytes of useless data just taking up space, with no recourse.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Does anyone know of a good social chore app for roommates to track who has done what chores? Something similar to Chore Wars - I like how that one gameifies the process, but it's web-only and clunky.

I see a number of them on the app store, but most of them have been long ago abandoned by the developers. The model that would work best is EpicWin, but it's not social at all - it's only a personal chore list.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
CarTunes is free today. It's normally $5. I got to try it out today while driving to school and it's pretty cool. It makes changing, pausing, playing songs much easier compared to the regular music app.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
So what calendar apps are popular these days? Calvetica or Fantastical always seemed like worthy upgrades to the default. Last time I checked Calvetica handled alerts in a away that the iOs could handle normally while Fantastical's were in-app only or something?
Regardless I'm looking for better flexibility in event inputs and scheduling than the default calendars two alerts and then day of mind of reminders.
Additionally, a list or workflow program that synchs with the calendar and renders the events I put on it as a timeline would be great.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Tempo has what you're looking for, I believe.

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight

Pan Ache posted:

So what calendar apps are popular these days? Calvetica or Fantastical always seemed like worthy upgrades to the default. Last time I checked Calvetica handled alerts in a away that the iOs could handle normally while Fantastical's were in-app only or something?
Regardless I'm looking for better flexibility in event inputs and scheduling than the default calendars two alerts and then day of mind of reminders.
Additionally, a list or workflow program that synchs with the calendar and renders the events I put on it as a timeline would be great.

Fantastical is pretty nice. They just need an iPad version already.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Do those calendar apps handle Google Calendar well? I would need support for shared calendars as I need to see my wife's calendar as well.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have a previous-gen iPod Touch. I really like the Reminders app, especially for daily reminders... but they seem to just peter out after a while and stop reminding me.

I set a reminder, tell it to remind me on a specific day, to repeat daily or weekly, and tell it to never "End Repeat." And yet, the repeat ends, seemingly at random, and I'm no longer nagged the way I'd like to be.

I go back, look at the reminder, my settings are still there. But it still doesn't remind me.

Any clue what's going on? Is this app broken?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Autumncomet posted:

Tempo has what you're looking for, I believe.

This app isn't available in the NZ Store so I can't download it. Only it gives the option of changing to the US Store, so I can buy it immediately.

edit: Only my account isn't valid for the US Store, so I can't only buy it through the NZ Store, which the app isn't available within

Now that's efficient and effective

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Get on itunes on a desktop, logged out of any accounts. Change your nation/itunes store to the US one. Navigate to the free app you want and try to purchase it, when prompted create a new US store itunes account, you should not be prompted to include valid payment information since it is free. Then sign into the store with your us account and download the app. Any time you must update the app you will be required to log out of your default app store account and into the one native to that program, however.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

keevo posted:

CarTunes is free today. It's normally $5. I got to try it out today while driving to school and it's pretty cool. It makes changing, pausing, playing songs much easier compared to the regular music app.

I use this app too, and I really recommend you grab it while it's free. No ads, and a much better music interface. My biggest complaint is while driving and using a dashboard (CD drive) mount, I cannot read the song title/artist/etc for the life of me. This fixes that problem and have a great interface.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Any suggestions for an alarm app? I don't need it to check my sleep cicles, I just one it to don't sound like a parade when waking up (if it has fade-in that would be awesome).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like Alarm Clock Pro. It can wake you with built-in alarm sounds or playlists (with some randomizing options) and can do fade ins.

edit: Note that non-Apple, non-jailbroken alarm clock apps have to actually be running in the foreground for the alarms to work. If they aren't running then all you get for an alarm is a single notification ping (assuming the app supports that) similar to an email or text message.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 3, 2013

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

withak posted:

I like Alarm Clock Pro. It can wake you with built-in alarm sounds or playlists and can do fade ins.

edit: Note that non-Apple, non-jailbroken alarm clock apps have to actually be running in the foreground for the alarms to work. If they aren't running then all you get for an alarm is a single notification ping (assuming the app supports that) similar to an email or text message.

Does that drain the battery a lot?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Billa posted:

Does that drain the battery a lot?

I don't know. I plug it in at night.

I can't imagine that it would eat more than the usual standby power usage as long as the display is off though.

edit: To clarify, the alarm works when the phone is asleep or locked as long as the app is in the foreground. If the app is backgrounded then all you get is a notification.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 3, 2013

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

I like Alarm Clock Pro

Is there a non pro version? I like to be woken up, but I'm not that into it.

Also you've had that av for loving ever. Solid effort

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alarm-clock-free/id332064280?mt=8

Looks like the free version maybe doesn't have a music-playing option. I've been using it forever so I don't remember exactly why I went with a non-free app, but I probably had a reason. Though maybe there is a free alarm app now that has the same features.

If nothing else, I've spent a lot more than $0.99 on apps that I have used a lot less.

quote:

Also you've had that av for loving ever. Solid effort

More like :effort:

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
Is there an app or some sort of computer program that will show a pop up on my desktop when my phone is ringing while it's connected to my computer. Kind of like a skype message? Sometimes when I have my headphones in I miss my phonecalls/messages.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else have problems with RUA2 crashing all the time? It used to crash a lot and after a couple reboots it won't even launch. I don't really feel like losing all of my progress, but it doesn't look like its gonna fix itself.

E: whoops that was supposed to be in the games thread.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Billa posted:

Any suggestions for an alarm app? I don't need it to check my sleep cicles, I just one it to don't sound like a parade when waking up (if it has fade-in that would be awesome).
Even if you don't care about sleep cycles "Sleep Cycle" app has some great soothing alarm sounds, and you can set it to wake you up when you're already in a near-wake cycle within 30 minutes of your target time. It makes a huge difference for me as I used to be groggy as all hell most mornings before I started using it.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Try uniqlo wake up, it chirps happy weather info at you.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I keep a written budget in excel. I'd like to store it on google docs or something like the cloud where I can access it from my phone/iPad/laptop/desktop and edit it as I need.

Anything out there that can do this well?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I keep a written budget in excel. I'd like to store it on google docs or something like the cloud where I can access it from my phone/iPad/laptop/desktop and edit it as I need.

Anything out there that can do this well?

Google docs?

Edit: It seems the app is called Google Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

withak posted:

Google docs?

That's what I originally thought (downloaded google drive)...but I can't edit the spreadsheet on my phone. And if I do, how do I upload back to google docs?

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 5, 2013

• Locked thread