Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
It's understandable why it's difficult to have a good staff that works for free on a project like P99. You can't get any guy off the street who seems nice because there's such a high likelyhood they'll abuse the power and create billions of plat or spawn items or whatever else. Even close friends you might have issues with. To be at all effective, GMs really need the power to manage accounts, items, and players. After so many years I can't imagine he's still super enthusiastic about the project or interested in babysitting the GM hiring and managing process.

The only reason you didn't have these problems on Live EQ is because the GMs would get their asses fired, they were too sick of EQ at the end of the day to want to log into their personal accounts and give favoritism to their guilds or whatever, and they enforced server rotations.

I agree that I wish he'd release the source for others to use, but it would likely kill the population on his own server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
http://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/comments/1cmrma/eqclassic_alpha_has_started_become_a_tester/c9iatb7

1. Guess the P99 supporters can no longer rail on Toop for supposedly stealing code
2. The wait for EQClassic is going to be forever, if ever.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

XP rates on Sleeper seem too high now, but I'm not complaining. The key is to kill stuff above your level. At level eight in Crushbone, I was getting two blues in a full group from a single high level orc. Mana regen also seems about twice as fast as it should be.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Are the servers having problems? I'm trying to make a Gnome Shadowknight and every time I finish creation, it tells me I've been disconnected and takes me back to login.

E: oh gnomes can't be SK here.. not even sure if I want to play SK as a beginner class.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 20, 2013

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Dizz posted:

Are the servers having problems? I'm trying to make a Gnome Shadowknight and every time I finish creation, it tells me I've been disconnected and takes me back to login.

E: oh gnomes can't be SK here.. not even sure if I want to play SK as a beginner class.

Considering that Class XP penalties are still in, yeah, it might be rough as a first character if you're not used to that - not to mention how underpowered melee characters when you're poor. A caster or healer tends to go better just because, while they do need cash for spells, that's still considerably cheaper than what it costs to gear up a melee to perform comparably well.

If you do get started with a character on P99, post your name in here. I've been logging in a bit lately to screw around and I can hook you up with some cash to get you started.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Considering that Class XP penalties are still in, yeah, it might be rough as a first character if you're not used to that - not to mention how underpowered melee characters when you're poor. A caster or healer tends to go better just because, while they do need cash for spells, that's still considerably cheaper than what it costs to gear up a melee to perform comparably well.

If you do get started with a character on P99, post your name in here. I've been logging in a bit lately to screw around and I can hook you up with some cash to get you started.

I doubt I'm going to dedicate tons of time playing but I would like to not have a lovely time playing. I guess I can run a Cleric as they're always useful I guess. I will post the name soon.

E: Loomi the gnome cleric.

E2: Cool. Ran outside and fought a spiderling and died within 10 seconds. Also :wtc: no map?

Dizz fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 20, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dizz posted:

E2: Cool. Ran outside and fought a spiderling and died within 10 seconds.

WELCOME TO EQ

Dizz posted:

E2: Cool. Ran outside and fought a spiderling and died within 10 seconds. Also :wtc: no map?

Maps aren't classic! (get used to hearing that a lot on P99)

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Is there still a goon guild on P99 just for funsies? I don't really care about raiding.

I'm playing a DE enchanter named Quatravious. Let's do this! :downs:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I can hook you up with an <Unknown Guild> tag but I haven't seen anyone else playing the last two weeks or so. If you want a guild to get groups and have green chat, I'd recommend hooking up with one of the leveling guilds out there.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

How classic is this server? does it have Corpse runs to get gear back?

mattmuffinman
Oct 13, 2008

Dizz posted:

How classic is this server? does it have Corpse runs to get gear back?

You better believe it... There are hell levels, hybrid exp penalties, boats, no map, no compass... book medding is only out because the admins are limited in what they can do with the client.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
A lot of newer guilds go by the rule of "Invite as many people possible and hope for the best." These usually fail after a few weeks. However, if one sticks, it is the place to be in. It is a pool of people to try and group with, get advice from, help you out, etc.

Here is a short list of guilds like this

Dream Tribe - I see a lot of them in Unrest/MM/Oasis. I don't know much about them but they seem to have a mix of twinks and non-geared. Don't know if they are growing or dying (It really is either/or)
Supremacy - I parked my characters here. Ton of people below 40. Seems to have the best chance of guild groups, or getting in a group because of asking in guild
Harmony - Weird guild, the only guild I really think has a personality that can be pinned down. As in, weird. Being grouped with them is like a little piece of "Barren's Chat". If that makes sense. It is a game so who cares.
Dark Horizons - They have been around for at least a month and there are still a lot of them, so thats something. See them everywhere.
Beginnersluck - Not sure how their guild is doing. I was ninja invited into this one and everyone seemed a-ok.

If you don't want to do the guild thing or haven't had luck, /friend everyone you can tolerate. Learn to do /who all lfg or /who all levela levelb to create or maintain groups.

Casters seem the least gear dependent (INT/WIS only increases your mana pool, not effectiveness of spells), then melee dps (weapons/str), then tanks (AC/STA,Str, weapons). Although the economy is way different than it was way back when that if you go to EC and hunt for spiderling silks/low-medium quality pelts/and bonechips you will be able to get any char geared enough by just selling this stuff. The price of nice gear is cheap enough but the prices skyrocket for only marginally better gear.

I have healed tanks in Bronze/Fine steel in the late teens-20s and full on twink tanks. There is a large difference but nowhere close to me not wanting to heal them. Ability to play your class > gear by a large margin although some classes like a rogue/monk or tanks with nice weapons can really light poo poo up.

Don't play a ranger...at least to start out.

If you play any class that stands to get hit, make sure you get your base agility to 75.

If you don't have two monitors, buy another and watch movies.

This game was made before developers realized its best to make a mmo fun right away. Give it until level 8-12 (by then you will be grouping and have meditate/tanking skills)

Have fun!

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 21, 2013

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

mattmuffinman posted:

You better believe it... There are hell levels, hybrid exp penalties, boats, no map, no compass... book medding is only out because the admins are limited in what they can do with the client.
It's up to you to recreate the true EQ experience by opening up a screenshot of your spellbook in front of your EQ window every time you med.
Thanks for this - I haven't been able to give advice about leveling guilds in a while and it's helpful for people who are new to the server.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

The server dropped me a few minutes after logging in and I logged back on with about 1/4 of the server population having dropped off as well. :/

I joined up with Supremacy. They're huge. The guild chat spam alone is enough nostalgia.

What other goons are still playing this?

smuggler fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 23, 2013

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia
I got a cleric at 14 right now (real poo poo gear), anyone down to play or anything?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Foil posted:

I got a cleric at 14 right now (real poo poo gear), anyone down to play or anything?
The only character I'm leveling (sporadically) at the moment is my 30 SK (Berak). If you get up into your mid 20s give me a ring, we can go duo or start a group wherever. Otherwise I'm just tooling around on my wizard or monk (Illtair/Bugen). Note to other people who haven't played in months - item prices are going up again. I actually managed to not lose a bunch of plat by hanging onto items for once. Stuff I used to be able to make easy money camping is actually getting bought again in EC for decent prices.

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
Looks like I'm back too. Got a level 10 Mage/Chanter combo going on Sleeper. I've been googling forever and I can't find a website that lists the max pet hits for mage pets. If anyone has a link I'd really appreciate it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Yomofo posted:

Looks like I'm back too. Got a level 10 Mage/Chanter combo going on Sleeper. I've been googling forever and I can't find a website that lists the max pet hits for mage pets. If anyone has a link I'd really appreciate it.

http://wiki.project1999.org/Magician#Pet_Information

Click on the pet type or scroll down to see specific details on the pets. This information used to be posted on magecompendium.com but it's been taken down - luckily they snagged it for the p99 wiki. Note, this may not be consistent with pets on The Sleeper, but it should be close.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Pets on sleeper right now are being tweaked a lot.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I'm thinking about giving up on Sleeper after getting my druid to 14. Getting groups is really difficult and I now see the tremendous value of P99 having a no boxing rule. Since most people box here, three real people is a full group. Just not worth my time to sit for hours waiting to get a group or to round up enough people to make one.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Do what I did, level more than one character. Just ride whichever one is getting the groups. This is for 1999. Haven't tried the sleeper.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

hayden. posted:

I'm thinking about giving up on Sleeper after getting my druid to 14. Getting groups is really difficult and I now see the tremendous value of P99 having a no boxing rule. Since most people box here, three real people is a full group. Just not worth my time to sit for hours waiting to get a group or to round up enough people to make one.

This also means you can find two people and have 5 members a lot of the time. I pick people up all the time because they don't hurt, though I've been camping the iksar berserker club so I didn't want help I didn't need at that point. I like the boxing rule because it ameliorates the low population a bit.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, boxing has helped me get groups a lot more, and gave me options in case I can't find one anyways.

There are plenty of other reasons to abandon the sleeper server though :P

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
May be nothing, may be something.

I was in EC last night and this came up on the screen:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
That definitely smells like a Velious tease to me. Whether it means anything about the timetable for a Velious release is pure speculation.

Also, in excellent news for the economic health of the server:

Ephi posted:

Many, many accounts have been banned linked to Platlord's online RMT sales in the past few weeks. Many more continue to be banned.

These accounts have rich trade histories identifying buyers via standard character-to-character trade and /split. We have begun banning people who have purchased items or currency from Platlord.

We know who you are. We know who he is. You will be caught. You will be banned.

Do not sell to or buy from Platlord. RMT is against the server rules. It ends now.
They're more than a bit late on this but I'd rather it gets handled now than never.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

That definitely smells like a Velious tease to me. Whether it means anything about the timetable for a Velious release is pure speculation.

Also, in excellent news for the economic health of the server:
They're more than a bit late on this but I'd rather it gets handled now than never.

I got a huge boner when I read about this. I really wish they would post accounts or character names. :[

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've done a bit of updating to the OP. If anyone has particularly good screenshots where you've turned off your UI (press F10) so that they don't incite a debate about how dumb/awesome your UI setup is, upload them to imgur and pm/post the links and I'll get them at the bottom of the OP.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
Sold ~3 million to platlord when I quit. Tried my accounts last night and it all works so!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm wondering what items are going to quickly devalue after Velious releases?

I'm thinking about that Mith 2hander I purchased for 10k that was sold for 1k after Kunark dropped.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Velious mostly introduces excellent nodrop items that end up replacing a bunch of high end droppables from Kunark. You don't have quite the jump in droppable item power than you did from Classic to Kunark.

Examples are the various faction armors that end up replacing most of the Trak BPs/VS legs/etc. except in a few cases where the clicky effect on the Kunark version makes it worth keeping (Donal's BP etc.). As people replace their Kunark armor you will see Trak BPs and VS legs flood the market and drop in price. They still make amazing twink gear so they won't bottom out too crazily but they will definitely take a hit.

Another example is all of the various neck slot talismans available off dragons in WW and elsewhere that are basically nodrop NoSs (and a number are even better than a NoS). People will replace their NoSs with these things and there will be a glut of them on the market. Again, a NoS is still a nice neckpiece for people who can't get at a raid or for an alt, but not as much as a Trak BP, so these will definitely drop from their 40k-ish current price by a lot.

There are some droppable items worth thinking about though:

Lower end haste items will take a hit as the broodling camp in Velk's becomes the new Frenzy camp and Silver Chitin Handwraps become widely available. High end haste prices may come down a bit as well due to the availability of the Cowl of Mortality, but all high end haste items also have pretty solid stats, so things like CoF, RBB, Sib Cloak, and RBG should continue to maintain their values pretty well.

Djarn's rings will eventually drop in price due to people dropping them as a BiS item for things like Coldain rings, the ring off Tormax, and once the Chardok update goes in, the quested ring from there.

GEBs will drop even lower than their present overfarmed low price as Coldain Skin Boots are available.

Caster and priest offhands will drop due to things like Lodizal Shield and Orb of the Infinite Void.

Not high ticket items, but Velium jewelry will render certain pieces obsolete. Velium Fire Wedding Rings (6/65) will kill the market for Platinum Fire Wedding Rings (5/55).

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 2, 2013

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

I can't remember; is there anything in Velious that offsets the Fungi Tunic?

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
No, never. Eventually they nerfed it rather than up the worn regen arms race.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Nope, Fungi didn't get a replacement/upgrade until Luclin. Its price on the server has always been a little weird since it has largely been the result of whether or not there's been multiple dedicated teams of King campers pushing them onto the market in EC and competing for sales. When this happens the price goes down. When no one has been camping it for awhile or the campers sit on their gains for a bit the price goes up. Two months ago they were going for 50-60k, now they're back up to 80ish. Prices will probably continue to go up in the next few months due to the elimination of all the cheesy/easy ways to single pull King to an easy duo spot (recently fixing FD+invis, FD+sneak, and FD+hide and getting rid of all the CotH tricks awhile back). People will still camp it, but they'll be less inclined since it will take larger groups of more skilled players which means a smaller split of profits for each person involved.

In addition to supply going down, demand may also go up as a fungi becomes quite useful as raiding gear in Velious. Mobs have way more than 32k HP, fights take longer, and most things have AEs that can be helpfully offset if you stack enough regen. Many more people have extremely good sets of resist gear on this server than did on live, so depending on how they code resists in places like NToV, fungis may, for instance, end up as required gear by guilds like TMO if you're melee DPS the same way that certain sets of resist gear are required right now.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Nope, Fungi didn't get a replacement/upgrade until Luclin. Its price on the server has always been a little weird since it has largely been the result of whether or not there's been multiple dedicated teams of King campers pushing them onto the market in EC and competing for sales. When this happens the price goes down. When no one has been camping it for awhile or the campers sit on their gains for a bit the price goes up. Two months ago they were going for 50-60k, now they're back up to 80ish. Prices will probably continue to go up in the next few months due to the elimination of all the cheesy/easy ways to single pull King to an easy duo spot (recently fixing FD+invis, FD+sneak, and FD+hide and getting rid of all the CotH tricks awhile back). People will still camp it, but they'll be less inclined since it will take larger groups of more skilled players which means a smaller split of profits for each person involved.

In addition to supply going down, demand may also go up as a fungi becomes quite useful as raiding gear in Velious. Mobs have way more than 32k HP, fights take longer, and most things have AEs that can be helpfully offset if you stack enough regen. Many more people have extremely good sets of resist gear on this server than did on live, so depending on how they code resists in places like NToV, fungis may, for instance, end up as required gear by guilds like TMO if you're melee DPS the same way that certain sets of resist gear are required right now.

I also remember some regen item being camped in Fungus Grove, or was that an FT item?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

iNteg posted:

I also remember some regen item being camped in Fungus Grove, or was that an FT item?

No you're right, there was this thing in Fungus Grove also. Exact same stats as a Fungi from Seb except large races only and less classes could use it - I always forget about it because I had had my fungi(s) for a long time by then and never camped the FG version.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nope, Fungi didn't get a replacement/upgrade until Luclin.

Unrelated - but that image item is stamped with my guild :3. I didn't play in Luclin though (although I did during Velious and PoP, and during PoP we were still killing stuff in SSRA and Vex Thal).

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

rsjr posted:

Sold ~3 million to platlord when I quit. Tried my accounts last night and it all works so!

Who is platlord? I always assumed he would be from TMO.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
It is not a he, it is an actual team of people. I imagine in a few weeks the will figure something else out. The fact is this has been going on for a long long time. This could have been disrupted a long long time ago.

You can get on a mailing list when they figure it out again.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Are you sure about that? I cannot recall anyone from the old days using a Fungi on raids, or honestly, anyone using a Fungi as anything other than a twink item.

With the AEs flying like they do in ToV, you need real healing. Think about it, the Fungi only gives 150 hitpoints per minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

Are you sure about that? I cannot recall anyone from the old days using a Fungi on raids, or honestly, anyone using a Fungi as anything other than a twink item.

With the AEs flying like they do in ToV, you need real healing. Think about it, the Fungi only gives 150 hitpoints per minute.

A fungi alone is not going to keep you up against a stiff AE like Sontalak's, but it will keep you going longer between needing to duck out for heals than an extra +100HP or whatever amount of resist that comes in a BP that is ultimately very unlikely to make the difference in whether you resist the AE against lots of mobs. And it's not like a fungi is the only regen available. Just think about it in terms of effective hitpoints. If you regen more HP in the time between CHs than you would get in +hp and hp from +sta off your BP, then the fungi wins. If you aren't getting CHs (as is typical for melee DPS) then it's not even a contest - the fungi clearly wins.

And yes, fungis were common on melee DPS classes (rogues, monks, rangers) and even smart non-MTs would wear them unless they were in line to pick up aggro. If they weren't then you had a bunch of people around you who couldn't do math or were EQ-poor.

• Locked thread