Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Presto posted:

Nice. No newspaper board for this one, so there's a note mysteriously glued to the back of the royal TV.

Also 2 birds - did he get so excited he forgot he added one and then added another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

I know it's a cartoon but Charles' head is a bit :pwn:

God, he's an awful cartoonist.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

ookiimarukochan posted:

Also 2 birds - did he get so excited he forgot he added one and then added another?

One is a UAV, obviously.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Three British soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Express:

VogeGandire's on to something here...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

...christ.

At least The Big D hasn't made an appearance to make the stereotype complete.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Same two birds in that new cartoon :tinfoil:

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

Speaking as an American, I think the cartoonist is giving Obama way too much slack here. The fucker could issue a presidential pardon if he really wanted to, and it really isn't like the Republicans are holding something hostage from him anyway since they vote against pretty much anything he does.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

VogeGandire's on to something here...

Is this because they are locking up all the people the typical Express reader likes?

'How far back are they going to go!?'

loving hell.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
As a non-Brit, can someone explain the Henry VIII cartoon to me?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's a big (really quite big) thing going on in the UK right now where the police are investigating claims of sexual abuse by celebrities dating back 30-40 years that were covered up or unreported despite being relatively common knowledge amongst the community at the time. Every famous person from the 70's, many beloved by the Express and her readers, turns out to be a nonce. The cartoon appears to be suggesting that they're punishing people for crimes that are "too old".

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Henry VII was a poo poo to his wives. Someone the Express likes just got arrested for (allegedly) raping a 15 year old girl 50 years ago, so suddenly all the tough on crime stuff goes out the window, and it's absurd that such an upstanding citizen etc. etc.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wow I heard about that story but I didn't expect the Express to defend potential child molesters :psyduck:

Thanks for the answers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
As if a royal would ever be charged with a crime in any case.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Wolfsbane posted:

Henry VII was a poo poo to his wives. Someone the Express likes just got arrested for (allegedly) raping a 15 year old girl 50 years ago, so suddenly all the tough on crime stuff goes out the window, and it's absurd that such an upstanding citizen etc. etc.

Going to be a pedant and say that Henry VII was actually quite nice to his wife, and that it was Henry VIII who was a jerk to his.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Did Henry VIII ever actually have sex with underage women? I realise that he was rather a poo poo to at least a few of his wives, but they and his mistresses all seem to have been over the age of eighteen as far as I can tell.

Not that rape allegations would have got very far back then.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kegluneq posted:

Did Henry VIII ever actually have sex with underage women? I realise that he was rather a poo poo to at least a few of his wives, but they and his mistresses all seem to have been over the age of eighteen as far as I can tell.

Not that rape allegations would have got very far back then.

What was the age of consent in Henry VIII's time?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

prefect posted:

What was the age of consent in Henry VIII's time?

Probably about 13 if that (and royals tended to get married young), but as far as I can tell all Henry's wives would be legal by modern standards - I think the youngest was 19 - and I can't find references to any mistresses younger than 16. It's pretty much impossible to talk meaningfully about other forms of sexual violence when the subject is a king, but it doesn't seem to be something that's flagged up for Henry as far as I can tell.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
When royal families around Europe were marrying off their pre-teen daughters for trade agreements?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

goatface posted:

When royal families around Europe were marrying off their pre-teen daughters for trade agreements?
Oddly enough, Henry VIII didn't even do a good job of that. He tried with Mary when she was very young, but that fell apart when Henry's marriage to her mother was annulled. I don't think he tried with Elizabeth, possibly because he had a son by that point and :effort:

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Which is creepiest, Habbo Hotel Charles, 2D Queen, or the corgicatfoxes that appear genuinely confused about their own identity?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Deleuzionist posted:

Which is creepiest, Habbo Hotel Charles, 2D Queen, or the corgicatfoxes that appear genuinely confused about their own identity?
The Queen explaining the joke, maybe?

Edit: awful, not creepy

VVVVV- Really don't look too closely at the hands, thalidomide was a huge problem in this universe and it went right to the top.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 2, 2013

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
His teacup appears to be hovering off of the edge of the back of his hand.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I like the framed picture of an aardvark.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Telegraph:

Independent:

:effort:

Daily Mail:

"Today [well, yesterday] the country votes in the local elections."

quote:

“UKIP if you want to……The lady is not for Ukipping.”

"A list has been compiled suggesting 50 things a child should experience before reaching the age of eleven."

quote:

“These are not on the list of 50 adventures children should have before they reach eleven!”

Express:

:ducksiren::whoptc::ducksiren:

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

It is somewhat fitting that while Prince Charles and William Hague have somewhat recognisable caricatures in these cartoons, Cameron just looks incredibly generic. If I'm not mistaken Clegg looks just like Cameron as well.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Drooooooooooooooooooooooooooones!

I too have a portrait photo of an owl on my desk. :shepface:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Deleuzionist posted:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

MIGRANTS CHANGE BRITAIN FOREVER, gee that doesn't sound sinister at all!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

They've already replaced the Secretary for Work and Pensions with one of their grotesque carved heads!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kurtofan posted:

Normans! :argh:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Ukip's election success – Almost a quarter of local election voters opted for Ukip, putting 139 of its members into the heart of local government."

Telegraph:

Fruitcake.

Independent:

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."
And the original, Le Clown Medrano by Toulouse Lautrec, if anyone is interested.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

This is shockingly lazy. I hope he didn't get paid for that.

quote:

Express:

:ducksiren::whoptc::ducksiren:

baka kaba posted:

Funny you should say that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I actually think there's a closer one than that, although it might just be the cut and paste Cameron

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Ukip's election success – Almost a quarter of local election voters opted for Ukip, putting 139 of its members into the heart of local government."

I really love this one. Jungle Book owns and you can't tell me different.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

God this guy is such a hack

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdob6QRLRJU

A really interesting speech from Farage - channeling the ghost of James Goldsmith.

Now he's embracing raw populist nationalism but risks going from a 2.3 party system to what? Independence from the EU with strong frog man? Is Farage a more successful Ron Paul?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baka kaba posted:

God this guy is such a hack

None of those Camerons are paste jobs. The cartoonist just has a very simple style that is easy for him to reproduce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

Love the added touch of the dead skins from the snake!

Stephen Collins! :siren:

Last IF... of this week. :3:

• Locked thread