Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Senerio posted:

I loved Real Steel. I was just saying at the end that ATOM was using Rope-a-dope against Zeus.

Oh, okay. You're good people, Senerio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Bullshit! Or, at least, that's not how the rope-a-dope works.

First of all, the rope-a-dope, in general, is a bad idea. Know the most famous use of it in boxing history? It was Muhummad Ali against George Foreman in the Rumble in the Jungle. And yeah, it worked then, but it sure as gently caress didn't do Ali any favors later in life.

And second, the rope-a-dope involves getting to the ropes and putting up your guard up while your opponent tires himself out. In the Rocky movies, Rocky basically stands around and lets his opponents hit him in the face, unguarded, repeatedly. That's a different, and much more suicidal strategy.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It wasn't used in the movie like in real life, but it was the same implication. Rocky's talent has always been his stamina, and the point was to tire Lang out.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Senerio posted:

It wasn't used in the movie like in real life, but it was the same implication. Rocky's talent has always been his stamina, and the point was to tire Lang out.

It's still loving stupid, because it makes it seem like Rocky can just kind of stand there, take hundreds of punches to the skull, and then make an instant miracle comeback and win.

Essentially, Rocky uses the same tactic in his fights as John Cena. Is that what you really want to argue for?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Welp... there go the Million Dollar Men by screwing up there one strong suit (or not abyssmal suit at least...). Listen folks learn from this example and just amass the most ridiculous hitting team imaginable (or know more about pitching than me if you focus on it).

Still I will be back. Hopefully with more success then. Till then I'll be having a Million Dollar dream

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Pick 'em Rolls On!

Arkansas Destroyers
Harvard Elites

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

No love from the peanut gallery makes me a saaaaaaad panda.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Pick 'em Rolls On!
Pick Two!
Arkansas Destroyers
Harvard Elites
Lombard St. Gumshoes
Sad Pandas

I got you Pander, don't let me down.

Also I got wrapped up in homework and forgot to fix my rotation. Back against the wall I was going to insert Eric Show into it. And then he got DLed for 90 days anyway haha.

I think maybe the volcanic ash is destroying their elbows or something. Maybe the dust is getting into the circuitry.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Essentially, Rocky uses the same tactic in his fights as John Cena. Is that what you really want to argue for?

Well Rocky is about as good with children...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

alpha_destroy posted:

Pick 'em Rolls On!
Pick Two!
Arkansas Destroyers
Harvard Elites
Lombard St. Gumshoes
Sad Pandas

I got you Pander, don't let me down.

Also I got wrapped up in homework and forgot to fix my rotation. Back against the wall I was going to insert Eric Show into it. And then he got DLed for 90 days anyway haha.

I think maybe the volcanic ash is destroying their elbows or something. Maybe the dust is getting into the circuitry.

Don't you worry. Mickey Mantle is going to hit 30 HR in 40 games and lead me to victory.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Destroyers and Gumshoes advance.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Pick 'em Rolls On!
Pick Two!
Arkansas Destroyers
Harvard Elites
Lombard St. Gumshoes
Sad Pandas

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The Unicorns' plan is simple. Get their top two hitters on base, and then hope the power trio of Bonds, McGwire and Darrell Evans can drive them home. Their pitching will give up loads of singles and, in the case of Hunter, home runs, but it won't give up walks, and, for the most part, it will limit power hitting.

The Imperialists' had a great year from their rotation, or at least the top of it. And since Smith, Dihigo and Wood are going to start four of the five games, that might be enough right there.

It might have to be, because, compared to the other playoff teams, the Imperialists' lineup is pretty weak. Granted, it's a solid lineup, but the Losers is a bit better at almost every position, the Coburns have the best offense in their league, and the teams still alive in the Smasher League are probably better too. That could be bad.

Don May posted:

IMPERIALISTS TAKE OPENER WITH 3-2 WIN

Burma- The Imperialists won 95 games this season.

For a variety of reasons, mainly because the Mercuries, Cultists, Losers, Coburns and Landers all won more games, the Imperialists have gotten lost in the shuffle, with most people forgetting their fine season, which included two having two twenty-game winners in their rotation. Granted, coming into this series, the smart money was on the Imperialists to defeat the Unicorns, who had a season full of inconsistency and injuries.

In this game, at least, the conventional wisdom does appear to be correct, as the Imperialists took a 3-2 win in a game that was not as close as the score makes it appear.

Deacon Phillippe, who has been the Unicorns' ace since Super-League III, remains an elite pitcher in the Super-League, albeit one that, from time to time, has a troubling tendency to pitch to contact. Some have claimed that, far from being a problem, this is a key feature of Phillippe's pitching style. That by allowing singles to the opposing team, but denying them home runs or walks, he is able to pitch more innings, more effectively, than a normal pitcher would.

Looking at the results from today's game, it is possible to see both sides of the argument. Phillippe gave up fourteen hits, but not a single walk. Of those fourteen hits, only three were for extra bases, and none of them were home runs. And despite giving up that many hits, he still threw only 107 pitches through seven innings, after which he was lifted for a pinch-hitter. That is an impressive figure considered the talent in the Imperialists' lineup.

On the other hand, Phillippe managed to strike out one hitter, and did give up three runs. On a day when Hilton Smith held the Unicorns offense to just three hits, adequacy was not going to get the job done. The Unicorns did not need the Deacon to be efficient, or smart, they needed him to be dominant. And that was something that Deacon Phillippe simply could not do for them.

Viscount Slim, knight bachelor and owner of the Burma Imperialists, was even more pleased with himself as usual, "It has been a bit of travail, no doubt, but the Imperialists are finally where they always should have been. Consider this, for all of the Rockford Losers' efforts, what did they really achieve by winning more games than us? A bruising series with the Coburns, which will likely leave them fatigued and bloodied. And then we will move in for the kill, as is proper. After all, a king does not move before his pawns. As for the Unicorns, I dare say that are as of much concern to me as their mythical namesake, and shall soon join that legend in the pages of storybooks regarding the things that no longer roam this Earth."

This angered IceMole, who responded, "Yeah? Well, ah...gently caress you, Viscount Slim!"

Game 2 will take place tomorrow in Mandalay. The Burma Imperialists will trot out Martin Dihigo, who will be trying to give the Imperialists a commanding 2-0 series lead in this best-of-five series. The Unicorns will turn to Sam Leever, who hopefully can do what Deacon Phillippe could not.

Box Score

Don May posted:

IMPERIALISTS PUSH UNICORNS TO BRINK WITH 8-3 VICTORY

Mandalay- The Unicorns are very quickly running out of time.

One day after the Imperialists shows that they could more than handle the best deadballer the Unicorns had to offer, they proved they could handle the second-best deadballer as well.

Sam Leever, doing everything he could to prevent his team from falling into an 0-2 series hole, could not do enough, as he gave up four runs in six innings, as the Imperialists keyed in on the deadballers' pitches, notching eleven hits in that span. The Unicorns' bullpen, which is almost entirely the same as the 2007 Los Angeles Dodgers bullpen, then buried the team even more, allowing four more home runs. The Unicorns' offense, streaky at the best of times, could not hope to match that level of output, only managing three runs over the course of the game.

Even more troubling, Mark McGwire, who led the Super-League with 48 home runs over the course of the regular season, has had absolutely no success in this series, going 0-for-8 with 2 strikeouts and, worst of all, not a single walk. Admittedly, walks were in short supply against both Game 1 starter Hilton Smith and Game 2 starter Martin Dihigo, but even still, if the Unicorns have any hope of winning this series, McGwire will need to do something to help his team. McGwire did not seem concerned about his slump, instead explaining that, "Hey, I'm only an amateur biochemist, okay? And sometimes, when you're mixing together a new batch of PEDs, you screw it up. I mean, I'd heard so much about blood doping that I thought for sure that it would boost my power stats. Turns out it didn't quite pan out. Personally, I blame Lance Armstrong. I mean, he made blood doping seem like it could do anything. What an rear end in a top hat."

IceMole just buried his head in his hands after the game, "What am I doing wrong here? Why do all of my players have to be such jerks. This really, really sucks. I waited a year to get back into the playoffs, and unless we get a miracle going, we're going to get swept. But wait, in every sports movie, just when things look they're worst, everything suddenly turns around. Like in Mighty Ducks 2, where first the Ducks get routed by Iceland, but then they came back and beat them! Things could still work out! I knew that all of those obits Smasher wrote had some sort of purpose!"

Not all shared IceMole's opinion, though, as Viscount Slim saw no hope for the Unicorns to come back in this series, "Firstly, I would ask Mr. IceMole to refrain from ever comparing me to anyone or anything from Iceland again. My family did not spend centuries in service to the crown to be associated with a race of fishmongerers and geothermal engineers. Secondly, all of the obituaries are entirely useless to everyone. No one should doubt that. Two months from now, no one will even remember the Lovable Losers existed, let alone what their obituary was about. Thirdly, if a man relies on a movie starring Emilio Estevez for hope, then he is surely doomed. There will be no Game 4 of this series. The Unicorns die in two days' time.

Game 3 will take place in Cleveland, one of America's top 1300 cities. Joe Wood, the Dynamo League Cy Young winner will try and snuff out the last remaining embers of the Unicorns' season, while Catfish Hunter tries to keep his team alive.

Box Score

Don May posted:

IMPERIALISTS CLOSE OUT SERIES WITH 4-2 WIN

Cleveland- Not every series can be a nail-biting classic.

Going into the series, the Imperialists were the favorites, and many thought their pitching prowess would easily see them through to the Dynamo League Championship Series.

Three games later, the Imperialists are going on to the DLCS thanks to their strong pitching. The postseason may be full of dramatic reversals and unexpected occurrences but, sometimes, logic wins the day.

Joe Wood, coming off a dominating regular season, continued his excellence today, allowing just one earned run in seven innings while striking out seven. That was more than enough as the Imperialists were able to come through for seven runs against Catfish Hunters whose penchant for giving up the longball ultimately doomed him and his team.

There are many questions for the Unicorns after this rather dispiriting series. Their pitching, though good enough for the regular season, did not perform well enough here in the playoffs. The team's hitting, while never its strong suit, seemed especially impotent against Burma, with Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire, theoretically the heart of the order, combining to go 1-for-the entire series.

The Imperialists, meanwhile, got one step closer to their dream of winning their first Super-League Championship after five seasons of mixed-success in the Super-League. Viscount Slim was delighted, and broke out his celebration brandy. Swirling a glass in his hand, he told reporters that, "And now, being the master huntsman that I am, I have driven the very last of the Unicorns to extinction!"

Asked which team he would rather face in the Dynamo League Championship Series, Viscount Slim quickly responded that his preference was, "For the Coburns. I am a believer in home-field advantage, and as they are but the lowly wildcard, and my team a division champion, we would automatically gain home-field advantage over them. I think that their lack of pitching also inures to our benefit. Such a course is almost certainly the easier one. That said, I am not overly worried about the possibility of facing the Rockford Losers. They are without Charleston and Ryan, and are simply no longer talented enough to compete with a team as refined and experienced as mine. For all their plaudits, they have exactly the same number of Super-League championships as we have. In what sense are they truly better than us?"

The Imperialists, by virtue of the sweep, also captured the Triple Crown Championship, making the Unicorns' defeat all the more agonizing. As they say in Cleveland, "When it rains, it pours, which is good, because the Cuyahoga River is on fire again!

Box Score

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Excellent. My compliments to the lich-esque M. IceMole.

Now I have to hope the Coburns-Losers series goes to four or five so I can rest my rotation.

It's a little funny to see the manager pulling MVP-season Gold Glove Bagwell for old Launch Ballman.

e: Oh, hey, I like the new championship banners.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
:siren: Playoff Pick Em Scores :siren:

Due to nailing the final game score, mentholmoose and mks5000 are the big winners in this round.

pre:
Owner                 Score
mentholmoose           16
mks5000                13
Monicro                 9
FairGame                8
Zodiac5000              7
Chilly McFreeze         5
kw0134                  5
Robert_Deadford         5
Beet                    4
factorialite            4
GVOLTT                  4
tatankatonk             4
Revenant Threshold      3
alpha_destroy           2
CaptainYesterday        2
TheFlyingLlama          1
oldskool                0

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Monathin!

You have 24 hours to post the next EC update or give an explanation for why you not done so.

If you don't....I guess we'll have to go to Plan B.

Also figure out a Plan B.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

What is with you and a lack of Plan Bs, Smasher?

At any rate, sorry. I was tied up most of yesterday and tried to finish the update at like 2 in the morning. That went about as well as you would expect.

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO:

Expansion Cup IX, June: Highway Robbery

Games of the Month

quote:

A NEW WORLD OF HURT FOR THE NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK

San Marcos, TX - It was not a particularly close game.

Nor, perhaps, were the ones before it. After a 7-1 loss and a 4-0 shutout, the new-to-the-League San Marcos Engineers were looking for some sort of foothold, any foothold, in order to get some momentum going.

They would not find it.

Indeed, when the Engineers would tie the score 1-1 in the 3rd inning - with the help of Darryl Strawberry, a player oldskool coveted during his ending-in-relegation, self-imposed 'Homer At The Bat' challenge, he simply had Andruw Jones send a homer straight over the San Marcos' right field, in order to show how little of a gently caress he gave about the perpetually forlorn-looking player. They would go to score two more runs - one off of a Buddy Myer single, and another off a Zeke Bonura double.

The San Marcos' offense, already considered not particularly powerful in its own right, attempted a rally through the home run power of Craig Biggio, which put them within one run in the bottom of the fourth. After which, the San Marcos' offense mostly petered out. The Oranges offense, coincidentally, would muster up one more run from a Chipper Jones single in the top of the sixth.

Most people would leave this game early.

Afterwards, oldskool and CaptainYesterday jointly addressed the crowd. "While this may have seemed like a heated competition, it was nothing of the sort." oldskool commented. "I wish CaptainYesterday nothing but good luck in his Super League endeavors, and hope that, should he be relegated, there be many more teams from him to come!"

CaptainYesterday shrugged. "Yeah, this team kind of sucks, and I'll probably get relegated, but hey. Whatever, right? You live and you learn!"

Box Scores

quote:

KILLER MIKES MISS CHANCE AT SWEEP, SQUIRRELS LIVE ANOTHER DAY

Akabira, Japan - Let it never be said that the Tortoise and the Hare wasn't a prophetic tale.

After scoring a rather impressive early lead - 4 runs in the first 3, compared to the Squirrels' measly 1, it would see like the Japanese-based team full of MLB players had the game wrapped up rather early. However, resting on your laurels is hardly a strategy worth considering in the Super League, as tatankatonk should rightly know, and it didn't work out here.

All was quiet until the sixth inning, in which the likes of Cal Ripken and Ralph Kiner were struck out by Randy Johnson, it was the combination of Ron Cey's single and, of all sluggers, Steady Eddie Murray hitting a two-run homer straight over Johnson's head that would mark the Squirrels' comeback.

The cincher to this comeback would from in the top of the eigth, in which Lindy McDaniel gave up walks to both Cal Ripken and Ralph Kiner. On a single by Ron Cey into left field, Cal made a mad dash for home plate. With Ronny Paulino asleep at the wheel, he'd get there with time to spare.

Suddenly, it came down to a single run. It was at this point Akabira scrambled, attempting to mount a significant offense in the eighth and ninth innings. When they could not manage to get a solid hit off of Tippy Martinez and after him, Mike Marshall, the panic began to set in. Though the Squirrel offense was perhaps slowler at generating runs than Akabira, it was only a matter of time.

That time came at the top of the eleventh, as Eddie Murray would once again prove that his presence, however seemingly insgnificant, makes a healthy contribution to the team. After a single up the middle by him, a fumbling of the ball by Dick Bartell that allowed Richmond team namesake Roy 'Squirrel' Sievers, a single from Rusty Staub, and one last single by Steve Yeager, Steady Eddie would come running steadily back home for the final run of the game.

Afterwards, Squirrel Flyers owner uublog solicited the crowd for advice. "Uh, so. What do I do, exactly? Do I make some changes? I'm not entirely sure how this all works, but it's good that we won! I like winning. Winning is fun and makes me fell like I had a fun time. How do I win more games though? Shifting players around, I guess? Maybe that'll work."

Box Scores

quote:

MUGGERS MUG LLAMAS OF HOPES AND DREAMS

Louisville - The underdog has to be right sometimes.

Monicro, while a super-league veteran, has never exactly been a man of teams that have seen much success in the Super League. And yet, with a 12-4 blowout of the Llamas (which, it should be said, is mostly interesting for the last minute rally), his team seems poised to be a contender for one of the Larkin League's champion spots.

Indeed, Robin Roberts very neatly shut down the majority of the Llamas offense while A.J. Burnett could find no way to control the Muggers'. It was only in the top of the ninth, with Dick Radatz on the mound, did Carolina find a strider to hit, with a triple RBI from Luis Castillo and a single run from Christ Gomez, for the faintest moment, it seemed like the Llamas were about to paint comebacks in an absurd new light. But then Monicro sent out Jon Matlack, who got a harmless ground out on Chipper Jones to end the game a half inning early.

"Seriously though, that owns bones." Monicro said at the end of the game, "Gonna win the cup. Gonna get relegated, but gonna win the cup."

He then took a moment to assess his team, revealing that "Holy poo poo, there is no way I'm not bombing next month. I'd bet money on it if I wasn't broke from stage magician training and tiger rental fees."

Box Scores

Team Statistics

Analysis

Pitching, pitching, pitching. But hey! At least the 2 Otts and a Musial part of your lineup is working as advertised!

Analysis

I'll see if there's not something I didn't goof up on my end to make your pitchers explode so ferociously, but I'm pretty sure it's just bad luck.

Still, though, you're probably going to want to reinforce those.

Analysis

Sir Barrold probably deserves a chance at lead-off, the way he's hitting. Especially when he's being outstripped in homers by your actual leadoff man.

Analysis

Good news: A.J. Burnett is slowly adjusting!
Bad news: Your pitching is still a dumpster fire!
Better news: You'll probably get something to solve that in the draft, the way you're playing!

Analysis

Larkin-Hopp is going to be a bloodbath, and you're right on the cusp of contention. And hey, your pitching isn't bad either, though it's probably going to need some reinforcement.

Analysis

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how bad your pitching is still, so I figure I'll let you know that there is no way Harrah will last at #2 with the numbers he's putting up.

Analysis

Prince Albert is literally carrying your offense on his own. You might wanna look into at least one more power hitter in the draft. Though pitching will likely, as always, take priority.

Analysis

My suggestion? Doerr to 4, Chipper to 2, fire Sanders out of your lineup at the first available opportunity.

Analysis

Not so much 'unstoppable' as 'slow to start'.

Analysis

You're still in the race, but now that Feller's been dealt with, Bridges is starting to burn out on you.

Analysis

Sometimes, you just have a bad month. You're also way underperforming your pythag, so everything should even out eventually.

Analysis

Between you, the Marmosets, the Thunderstorms, and the Automatons, Larkin-Hopp has turned into a crazy race. Good luck, Monicro!

Analysis

I'm not really sure if Chipper Jones works as a #4, but Goose should probably be your leadoff whereever possible.

Analysis

I'm hesitant to recommend you keep using the Baker Bowl, because it'll probably get you murdered in the Super-League. At the same time, however, you have probably one of the best pitching staffs in the Expansion Cup, and they're not being murdered in the Baker Bowl. And it's done wonders for your offense.

Speaking of, I'd put Mo or Griffey Sr. in at #4, Canseco doesn't have the power to be in the slugger sweet spot.

Analysis

What does it say when the Beard Leaguers have a better looking bullpen than the Cultists? Not a lot, given that the Cultists have one of the worst bullpens in the league, but still.

Analysis

Another Expansion Rookie, another team with pitching problems. On the bright side, at least you have a replacement for Boots!

Analysis

At least you're doing better than the Generics' original run. Though you could probably use one more power hitter. Also, it seems Ernie Lombardi is proving he deserves to be higher in the lineup.

Analysis

Need some better hitters in the lineup. Your pitching isn't bad, you're just in the same division as the Pirates.

Analysis

In all honestly, unless you regress further than this, there's a very slim chance you're not making the playoffs. Other than that, Spahn's having trouble, but still a pretty solid run.

Analysis

A pretty solid lineup built on the backs of Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco. Now if you could just sort out your pitching issues, you'd be cooking with oil.

Analysis

You really couldn't have picked a worse time to tank if you tried.

Analysis

Gaetti is probably going to get eaten alive in the Super-League. Aside from that, more pitching!

Divisional Standings

Monathin fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 2, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
:siren: Someone help the cultists out - I have 5 outfielders old Stan Musial, Indian Bob Johnson, Billy Williams, Carlos Beltran and Riggs Stephenson - that's two hall of famers, one will be hall of famer (probably), and two dudes who did good things for a goodly while. I need a left fielder! Argh!

Randy Johnson Pitching Success Tracker: 2-11 with 115 IP and 120Ks.
vs RHP

3B: Ken Boyer
RF: Aubrey Huff
CF: Dale Murphy
1B: Prince Fielder
SS: Hubie Brooks
LF: Stan Musial
2B: Rickie Weeks (:argh:)
C: Jeff Reed

vs LHP

LF: Tim Raines
RF: Ryan Braun
C: Lucaroy

vs RHP with DH

DH: Stan Musial
LF: Ryan Braun
C: Jeff Reed

vs LHP

DH: Stan Musial
LF: Ryan Braun
C: Lucaroy

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 2, 2013

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

So, I noticed almost NONE of the changes I requested last time were updated, outside of sending a pitcher to the minors to put Rusty Staub on the bench (and then it was a different pitcher than the one I specified). Oh well, at least my team's improving slowly from month to month.

First and foremost, Bench Luis Castillo, start Joe Morgan in his position. Requested this last month, didn't change.

Also not changed from last month, but more minor: Move Claude Osteen to 4th in the rotation and Jim Bunning to 5th.

Next, let's try dealing with all the bullpen issues:
Dan Plesac to the DL, call up Turk Farrell. Please put Turk Farrell in long relief, bump Ken Johnson into middle relief, and bump Jim Brewer into short relief.

Finally, other lineup changes:
Put Joe Mauer back in at catcher, put Mike Sweeney in at DH. EDIT: Since I noticed some interleague games this month, please use the following lineups:

The lineups should be changed to:

WITH DH:
1. Paul Molitor (3B)
2. Joe Mauer (DH)
3. Mike Sweeney (C)
4. Justin Morneau (1B)
5. Carlos Beltran (CF)
6. Luis Gonzalez (LF)
7. Jermaine Dye (RF)
8. Joe Morgan (2B)
9. Robin Yount (SS)

WITHOUT DH:
1. Paul Molitor (3B)
2. Joe Mauer (C)
3. Carlos Beltran (CF)
4. Justin Morneau (1B)
5. Luis Gonzalez (LF)
6. Jermaine Dye (RF)
7. Joe Morgan (2B)
8. Robin Yount (SS)
9. [pitcher]

Guess I'll be benching Mike Sweeney for those interleague games, it seems.

GVOLTT fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 2, 2013

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

The wheels are coming off on the pitching front, and the loss of I-Rod pays back double! Normally, I would have put Big Mike Garcia into Bridges slot, but he's in pastures new so let's move Bridges into Long Relief and let Newhouser have a run as SP3 for a month or two.

On the plus side, at least we're hitting! But we can hit better:

New DH line-up, versus all pitchers:

2B Gehringer
3B Rosen
RF Gonzalez
DH Palmeiro
1B Wertz
LF Greer
CF Doby
SS Clayton
C Whoever, just waiting for I-Rod...

And my middle infield seems to be putting up good numbers, yes? Gehringer 50 D/150, Clayton 42. That's good?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah, your middle infield is doing pretty well.

And sorry about missing the changes, GVOLTT. I thought I had caught everything, but occasionally orders get lost. I'll make sure to be triple-checking your stuff next update.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Okay, not sure why Burnett was still starting, as he was supposed to be moved to LR and Hudson moved into his starting position, but whatever.
Pitching Lineups
SP1:Hudson
SP2:Lincecum
SP3:Cain
SP4:Beckett
SP5:Burnett

Then, move Michael Bourn to RF, and put Millar onto the bench. The new lineup will be

RF: Michael Bourn
1B: Chipper Jones
SS: Chris Gomez
CF: Willie Mays
DH: Dan Uggla
C: Brian McCann
2B: Luis Castillo
3B: Mike Lowell

Keep the personal catcher.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Go with what works, right? That's why I'm staying with the Baker Bowl for the remainder of the Expansion Cup, then moving to a much more pitcher-friendly stadium before Super League X.

Call up Felsch, send down Greenwell.

Lineups:

No DH:

1. 2B - Collins
2. SS - Vaughan
3. RF - P. Waner
4. CF - Griffey
5. 1B - Vaughn
6. LF - Jackson
7. 3B - Traynor
8. C - Platoon Hatteberg and Schalk
9. P

with DH:

1. LF - Jackson
2. SS - Vaughan
3. RF - Canseco
4. DH - Griffey
5. 1B - Vaughn
6. 3B - Traynor
7. CF - Felsch
8. 2B - Valentin
9. C - Platoon Hatterberg and Schalk

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 2, 2013

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Staying pat. I don't have anyone who can hit, so I'm just going to draft and trade once I get the chance. Am I improving? Who knows. I'm not the worst team in EC, though.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Monathin posted:

Analysis

At least you're doing better than the Generics' original run. Though you could probably use one more power hitter. Also, it seems Ernie Lombardi is proving he deserves to be higher in the lineup.
Since the Generics lost over 100 games in their first EC incarnation, that's not the highest of praise. And one more slugger would be Ott but :argh:

Anyway, Lombardi is a pleasant surprise as well as Newcombe, which I shall take to mean that they'll blow up in the SL and then flameout entirely in the Gauntlet. Regardless, here's a new lineup since you seem to be a masochist insisting on more work!

code:
Jackie Robinson		3B
Nap Lajoie		2B
Ernie Lombardi		C 
Joe Medwick		LF
Carl Furillo		RF
Pee Wee Reese		SS
Gil Hodges		1B
Duke Snider		CF
[Pitching Slot]		P
Also, since apparently there's interleague play and lots of it, the non-horrible DH lineup:

code:
Jackie Robinson		3B
Nap Lajoie		2B
Ernie Lombardi		C 
Joe Medwick		LF
Carl Furillo		RF
Pee Wee Reese		SS
Gil Hodges		1B
Duke Snider		CF
Ott/Hickman             DH
Not an ideal DH platoon, but that's why I picked a non-DH league. drat you Selig!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah, no orders here. My team stinks; Langston and Finley have 90+ ratings but apparently are rubbish in the Super League.

Other than Mickey loving Mantle, all my hitters suck too. Guess i'll just play out the string and hope to draft well.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Yeah, let's try out some new lineups. See if Valentin can keep up his performance with a larger sample size.

With DH

1. RF Ordonez
2. 1B Konerko
3. CF Lee
4. DH Thomas
5. LF Hargrove
6. 2B Valentin
7. 3B Kell
8. SS Reyes
9. C Johnson

Without DH

1. RF Ordonez
2. LF Konerko
3. CF Lee
4. DH Thomas
5. 2B Valentin
6. 3B Kell
7. SS Reyes
8. C Johnson

Anyone got any deadball pitchers they don't want? It looks like I could get some pretty good use out of one.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

FairGame posted:

Yeah, no orders here. My team stinks; Langston and Finley have 90+ ratings but apparently are rubbish in the Super League.

Other than Mickey loving Mantle, all my hitters suck too. Guess i'll just play out the string and hope to draft well.

I sometimes wonder if it might help new players stay interested if you could just discard your team as a bad job after the EC and build a new one with any feeders remaining before the draft, now that you have some insight as to the relative values of players in this environment as opposed to reality.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

:siren: Someone help the cultists out - I have 5 outfielders old Stan Musial, Indian Bob Johnson, Billy Williams, Carlos Beltran and Riggs Stephenson - that's two hall of famers, one will be hall of famer (probably), and two dudes who did good things for a goodly while. I need a left fielder! Argh!

Ancient Musial and Beltran for Goose Goslin, who apparently should be my leadoff hitter but for whatever reason is hitting .300+ off the bench.

The Merry Marauder posted:

I sometimes wonder if it might help new players stay interested if you could just discard your team as a bad job after the EC and build a new one with any feeders remaining before the draft, now that you have some insight as to the relative values of players in this environment as opposed to reality.
Maybe just give them another feeder team? Here's your team, here's why they suck, pick a team and make them not suck.

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 2, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

oldskool posted:

Ancient Musial and Beltran for Goose Goslin, who apparently should be my leadoff hitter but for whatever reason is hitting .300+ off the bench.

You mean perennial Super-League All-Star and .300 hitter GOOOSE Goslin? Yeah, don't trade him. Alternately, trade him to me!

oldskool posted:

Maybe just give them another feeder team? Here's your team, here's why they suck, pick a team and make them not suck.

Maybe. It just seems unnecessarily punitive to go through a losing season because you imagined players with active careers not named Phat Albert would be worth a drat.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Maybe. It just seems unnecessarily punitive to go through a losing season because you imagined players with active careers not named Phat Albert would be worth a drat.

Seriously. I knew that Burnett was going to be bad, but I expected better ERAs out of Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain. I wasn't expecting elite numbers, but goddamn, a 6+ ERA?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
^ Lincecum hosed me over in my last team. I'm pretty sure mine was even worse.

Assuming all Yoshida league teams move towards their pythag, we're not doing too badly. Assuming. So of course now players are getting tired, my bullpen is collapsing, etc. Anyway, at least Reed's back, though untested. Swapping everyone around, my bullpen should be;

CL Eckersley
SU Eastwick
SR Larry Andersen
SR Clay Carroll
MR Dave LaRoche
LR Ron Reed

Also it looks like there are some tiredness issues, and of course it's two of my good players who also aren't being platooned. Oh well. Please send down Buddy Bell so I can bring up Cy Seymour. Also some shuffling and un-platooning, so new lineups;
code:
no DH                                  using DH

LF Mike Donlin                         LF Mike Donlin
2B Joe Morgan                          2B Joe Morgan
1B Frank Robinson                      DH Frank Robinson
C Johnny Bench                         C Johnny Bench
3B Pete Rose                           3B Pete Rose
RF Cy Seymour                          RF Cy Seymour
CF Sam Crawford                        1B Jake Beckley
SS Dave Concepcion                     CF Sam Crawford
<pitcher>                              SS Dave Concepcion 

Torre still catching for Niekro. Stop being bad, Niekro.
As far as trades go, I have a vast array of lefty bats and outfielders. I have Bizarro Buddy Bell, who's batting well and defending badly (ignore small sample size). Also my backup catcher is a SL-quality starter, really, so if you want Joe Torre make your offers plus replacement. My entire pitching staff is also up for offer!

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 2, 2013

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Alright lets revamp some things

Move Fred McGriff to the DL
Put Chipper Jones, out of position, in his place
Demote Deion Sanders, call up Pete Rose

New Lineups:

Vs. LHP:

Gary Matthews (LF)
Chipper Jones (1B)
Mike Schmidt (3B)
Bobby Doerr (2B)
Andy Seminick (C)
Ron Gant (RF)
Jeff Blauser (SS)
Harry Walker (CF)
pitcher

Vs. RHP:

Gary Matthews (LF)
Chipper Jones (1B)
Mike Schmidt (3B)
David Justice (RF)
Javy Lopez (C)
Bobby Doerr (2B)
Jeff Blauser (SS)
Harry Walker (CF)
pitcher

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

You mean perennial Super-League All-Star and .300 hitter GOOOSE Goslin? Yeah, don't trade him. Alternately, trade him to me!

To be fair, most of us had to figure out that, or other things along the way. Hell, my second team was a series of painful lessons in hitters just not being good enough. And how you shouldn't start a 42 year old at SS.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

There are probably one or two teams per expansion class that are completely unsalvageable. The rest can be fixed if you know what you're doing. Granted, new owners probably don't, but having them build teams from a very small list of feeder teams probably isn't going to do much for them either.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Smasher Dynamo posted:

There are probably one or two teams per expansion class that are completely unsalvageable. The rest can be fixed if you know what you're doing. Granted, new owners probably don't, but having them build teams from a very small list of feeder teams probably isn't going to do much for them either.

I'm probably one of the one or two unsalvageable teams and I'd still rather keep going. I have no idea what I'm doing so I'll lose for a while. That's fine.

Here's a question, though: I'm seeing that there are some teams who have pitchers who pitch to contact, leading me to believe there are entire strategies around having sweet ground ball pitchers and amazing fielders to suck everything up.

When I'm putting together a roster in the future, should I be looking at a player's peripheral defensive stats on BBREF or something? I really was just going "welp; he was a good hitter/pitcher" with 0 context to defense, park size, etc.

In other words, was my feeder construction bad merely from a talent-selection standpoint, was it fine talent-wise but lacking a coherent strategy for how to get outs/runs, or just lovely all around?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

*waves at Smasher*

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

FairGame posted:

I'm probably one of the one or two unsalvageable teams and I'd still rather keep going. I have no idea what I'm doing so I'll lose for a while. That's fine.

Nah, the '96 Expos are kind of an albatross, but the '93 Angels gave good value. You're kind of missing an infield, though.

FairGame posted:

Here's a question, though: I'm seeing that there are some teams who have pitchers who pitch to contact, leading me to believe there are entire strategies around having sweet ground ball pitchers and amazing fielders to suck everything up.

Absolutely. The Easy W's do this largely by accident, with Cy Young, Grover Cleveland Alexander, and a few others (and Sandy Koufax) pitching in front of Rolen, Asdrubal Cabrera, and Lou Whitaker. People trying this usually lack the fielders, though, and get singled to death - or, they use deadball infielders from the same source as their hurlers, and those guys don't turn double plays.

You can do other fun things, I had a championship team that played in a huge, cold, stadium with three fast outfielders (Rickey, Cobb, Ichiro) that made OK pitchers look solid and robbed visitors of all power.

FairGame posted:

When I'm putting together a roster in the future, should I be looking at a player's peripheral defensive stats on BBREF or something? I really was just going "welp; he was a good hitter/pitcher" with 0 context to defense, park size, etc.

Yeah, context is pretty important for this.

FairGame posted:

In other words, was my feeder construction bad merely from a talent-selection standpoint, was it fine talent-wise but lacking a coherent strategy for how to get outs/runs, or just lovely all around?

One problem is that the power levels are lower, partly by design, and partly because of the high quality of pitching. You can hide one or two low-average low-patience guys (Maris, Alou) in your lineup if you have the on-base skills elsewhere for them to get ribbies from, but they're not going to save you by hitting 40-50 dingers.

That and Chuck Finley had a mid-80s fastball and tends to get crushed.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Well, so long as it's question hour, any way to fix my team? My pitchers are apparently terrible, my infield is bad, and my outfield is mediocre at best. Anything I can do other than wait for the upcoming draft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Another change, since I forgot to mention it earlier. Send down Hoyt and call up Red Lucas. Put him in the long relief spot.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Well, so long as it's question hour, any way to fix my team? My pitchers are apparently terrible, my infield is bad, and my outfield is mediocre at best. Anything I can do other than wait for the upcoming draft?

Mogul doesn't seem to like still active players compared to similarly talented players from the past. My assumption is that since it judges players based partly on length of career, active players get lower ratings since they haven't had full careers yet.

Looking through the feeders and trades you've made, the only player I would have added is '02 Derrek Lee, who might help your infield hit better. Otherwise, there's not much you can do other than wait for the draft.