Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:siren: GTA: Vice City has dropped in price ($5 -> $2) :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My intention is to find the proper channel to provide feedback to WarBalloon and pass my thoughts on... that said, I wanted to post my list here first as I get it straight in my head:

The core game is pretty neat. I'm having fun. That said, the lack of...explanation, is probably the biggest frustration point. Sure, trial and error learning, but, dying in a protracted battle because you didn't know something, sure can get annoying.

1) EXPLAIN poo poo MORE.
Explain weapons.
Explain having people in rooms and what that does (and doesn't do when they leave.)
Explain (with less humor and more actual info) what skills do.
Explain, explain, explain.
I know tutorials can get a little annoying, but basically, the FIRST time the player does ANYTHING, it should kinda pause the game and be like "ok, here's what's happening, and what you need to do, and why.

2) Better indication of when you've been boarded.
I love the zoom in/zoom out freedom, but one time, it took me FAR too long to realize that there were 4 Antorians blasting my engine to poo poo. Whoops. Maybe some kind of banner or flashing icon (no matter where you are on screen.)

3) Some kind of "Status" button.
Sometimes it's hard to see a breach or a fire hiding behind your engine. I want to be able to press a button and see "SHIP AT 100%!" or "SHIP AT 98%! PLEASE ADDRESS!"

4) Better pathing for the AI. Easier manipulation of AI.
'nuff said.

5) Skippable Cutscenes
(for all those times you gently caress up and have to repeat everything.

6)Fix whatever glitch claims a room has no personnel assigned to it... when it DOES!

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Giving the new Firaxis game Haunted Hollow a try. So far it's much more like Hero Academy, turn based strategy than I previously thought. The IAP is all extra rooms for your house and extra monsters. Don't know if it confers an advantage.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Guess who hashad $1.99 in their account? :getin:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Since Ticket to Ride Europe went free a couple days ago, I've been playing it nonstop. I might actually have to buy the pocket ticket to ride... It's like Monopoly for train nerds. I love it.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
Ticket to Ride Europe is a surprisingly fun little time waster. Never played train games before or that, but it's hard to beat free and still fun with only playing the AI.

A question regarding Crimson Steam Pirates, is there any way to customize which fleet you will start out with before a mission? And how important is in mission fleet expansion? I'm on the mission where you try and steal rathbones ship a second time from his hide out with him and like ten other ships. The red flagged allies that showed up were promptly sunk due to idiotic actions like not avoiding mines. Should I focus more on capturing ships to use in battle or just keep meticulously annihilating his comrades in hopes of getting a shot at his ship?

The whole not having enough crew on your ship to fight the boarding action if you capture more ships is a conundrum. Especially if you seem to need more ships.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

I'm enjoying star command. There are a few things that are kinda clunky about it and it's a shame that there's basically one game mechanic - the ship battle, but it's fun in general. Seriously though why aren't there away team missions such a lost opportunity.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are the controls in this game an improvement over GTA 3? I remember buying GTA3 for my iPad, getting about 50% through the game, then rage-uninstalling it after the aiming and targeting controls made me angry and frustrated.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Are the controls in this game an improvement over GTA 3? I remember buying GTA3 for my iPad, getting about 50% through the game, then rage-uninstalling it after the aiming and targeting controls made me angry and frustrated.

Same, more or less. I got rid after I just got tired mangling controlling things.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wish they would just release the GTA games with everything already unlocked, I just want to drive around the entire map and have fun, not play through a story mode with lovely controls.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

triplexpac posted:

I wish they would just release the GTA games with everything already unlocked, I just want to drive around the entire map and have fun, not play through a story mode with lovely controls.

The save structure of both GTA3 and VC are simple enough that you can google a save file with everything complete and load it with iFunBox.

At least with GTA3 I know you can do this.

First Google result

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Am I the only one who would've preferred Star Command as a freemium spaceship builder/sim a la Tiny Tower or Pocket Planes?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
It's very clear after playing Star Command that it was made by inexperienced game developers.

This game is a never ending stream of annoying game-play elements inspite of a pretty cool concept.

I don't want to loving micro-manage my yellow shirts or spend 15 minutes clicking them around after an intense battle.

Combat on the ship is infuriating, nobody goes where I want them to go and most of the time they end up just standing in fire until they die.

For the amount of money pumped into this game, I'm kinda disappointed.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 3, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

jerkstore77 posted:

Am I the only one who would've preferred Star Command as a freemium spaceship builder/sim a la Tiny Tower or Pocket Planes?

Yes. :dogout:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So I started playing Clash of Clans. Is there some goon clan or the like in there?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

jerkstore77 posted:

Jesus no.

All love for Nimblebit, but I'm downright tired of IAP. Give me a full game and I will pay full price. I am just plain annoyed at the model if done wrong, which the majority are.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Jesus no.

All love for Nimblebit, but I'm downright tired of IAP. Give me a full game and I will pay full price. I am just plain annoyed at the model if done wrong, which the majority are.

I think you mean yes. :) By saying no you're agreeing with him that it should have been a freemiumshitheap.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
If anyone wants to provide feedback to the Star Command developers, post in the Touch Arcade forum thread there. They're frequenting the thread and responding to comments.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=187199

Echoing most of the complaints and praise of the game. I'm frustrated that many of these complaints must have been obvious during the beta testing but weren't addressed.

edit: Or post in the Star Command official forums

http://forum.starcommandgame.com/

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 2, 2013

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Jesus no.

That's why I gave those 2 as examples, because they are done right. I never really followed Star Command's development that much but I thought it was going to be a more open ended, level up your guys and ship over time kind of game instead of a mission based game with a story. On iOS I tend to prefer the former.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

jerkstore77 posted:

With all do respect I hope you shatter your iOS device today.

I actually like Star Command. I did not get into or follow they hype surrounding it. If you take away all that crap you have a pretty fun game that is well worth the 2.99. I have it on my iPad and I think it should have been iPad only though. I have encountered none if the movement problems that use phones are having. Thing is though if it was released as iPad only there would be tons of people whining about how phones should be able to play it. So damned if you do damned if you don't, might as well go for the option that makes the most money

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Every time someone mentions Clash of Clans they are met with dead silence, so I assume something has happened so that no one can talk about the game.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I play, but with people I know. I think there is some sort of official goon clan also. It's a decent way to kill 5 minutes a day, once you test past a certain level. Just don't expect anything to happen fast.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Most of the people in the thread have one time or another said that when they look at IAP available for a game and see that they have a $99.99 option available, it is probably best to stay away.

Clash of Clans and Hay Day both qualify, decent games (really just another timer game thats very polished), but like the poster above said, they are 5 minute per day things and the only thing paying money for is to speed stuff up.

Who am I to tell the makers of CoC or HD (Supercell) they aren't doing things right.. they've both been in the top 5 grossing list for 7 months now.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Some of these Freemium games can be really lovely about the IAP. The Nimblebit ones are good about it, I wish more were like those. Dragonvale and Gizmonauts are ok, although if you want to buy robots/dragons you'll probably have to splash out some cash. But you can get everything without using it, and you can get the premium-only stuff easily enough with the amount you get from normal play. Happy Street is fine, although I get a bit worried it's going to go bad. Pixel People is very reasonable. Simpsons Tapped Out is supremely lovely about the IAP.

Ugh, I have some kind of problem with Freemium city builders. I just like making my little places all nice and fancy.

Basically, as long as there's a way to reliably get IAP stuff through normal play, that's generally okay in my book. Along the lines of if you're feeling lazy you can just throw money at things to speed them up, but you don't have to. I guess it's probably not very financially wonderful though.

FlashBangBob posted:

Most of the people in the thread have one time or another said that when they look at IAP available for a game and see that they have a $99.99 option available, it is probably best to stay away.

It's usually a bad sign I find. Although most of the ones I play have some kind of ridiculous amount thing. I don't know how often people buy the really big ones, but I guess if you've got a game like that out you may as well stick that in as an option on the off chance somebody goes for it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Oops
E: ignore had wrong thread open

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
Has anyone else had issues with Robot Unicorn Attack crashing a lot? I play on my ipad2 and it was working fine for me the first day, and then since then I haven't ever been able to play through all 3 wishes in a row without having it crash someplace in the middle. It's making me a little bonkers since I love the game, but can't finish anything.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Tapped Out has left me completely... uh... tapped out. This Whacking Day event is ridiculous. I've been playing the game every day since it started, and am barely halfway to completion, with a week to go. It seems like completing this is impossible without either spending money or getting a cluster of friends to help you. It's also especially frustrating that whacking a snake won't always net you a snake, so when you have 6000 snakes to go, it's actually more like 9000. Usually the holiday events are when this game remotely approaches any semblance of "fun", but euugh, gently caress this.
Also, a Whacking Day where you need to actually harm snakes seems wrong, doesn't it? Where's Barry White when you need him...

Also, in Pixel People, there was a mission where I needed certain animals to unlock a new gene. I was missing the brown bear. I spent about a week collecting hearts, trying to unlock one. Then they released an update, breaking the mission and making it impossible to complete. Then I found three brown bears. Then today they released a new update fixing the bug. I check the mission, and apparently I also need a lion. I used all mine up during the time the game was broken. I would love to spend the rest of my days collecting hearts again, but instead I think I'll delete the game.

Happy Street released an update forcing us to bug our Facebook friends in order to progress on various things... something that's a huge no-no for me.

.....maybe it's time for me to start playing actual games?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

SuperHappy posted:

Tapped Out has left me completely... uh... tapped out. This Whacking Day event is ridiculous. I've been playing the game every day since it started, and am barely halfway to completion, with a week to go. It seems like completing this is impossible without either spending money or getting a cluster of friends to help you. It's also especially frustrating that whacking a snake won't always net you a snake, so when you have 6000 snakes to go, it's actually more like 9000. Usually the holiday events are when this game remotely approaches any semblance of "fun", but euugh, gently caress this.
Also, a Whacking Day where you need to actually harm snakes seems wrong, doesn't it? Where's Barry White when you need him...

Also, in Pixel People, there was a mission where I needed certain animals to unlock a new gene. I was missing the brown bear. I spent about a week collecting hearts, trying to unlock one. Then they released an update, breaking the mission and making it impossible to complete. Then I found three brown bears. Then today they released a new update fixing the bug. I check the mission, and apparently I also need a lion. I used all mine up during the time the game was broken. I would love to spend the rest of my days collecting hearts again, but instead I think I'll delete the game.

Happy Street released an update forcing us to bug our Facebook friends in order to progress on various things... something that's a huge no-no for me.

.....maybe it's time for me to start playing actual games?

What's your name in Tapped Out? I'll leave you some eggs.

But yeah, you had to at least buy the license to whack 10 snakes in each town to have a chance at everything.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
How do you get missions in Pixel People? I've never seen one.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Lorini posted:

Every time someone mentions Clash of Clans they are met with dead silence, so I assume something has happened so that no one can talk about the game.

Every time, I'm usually the only one to reply, and I don't read the thread religiously. Our clan is crusader kings, and we will likely have to lower the trophy req to get you in. JunglistVip is the leader in game who can do that for you.

We just don't have a huge amount of goons that keep playing. Only requirement in the guild is to donate troops. Doesn't matter the level of troops, all troops help to some degree.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
FYI for everyone playing Tapped Out, it's literally a game with items that cost upwards of $20 in IAP, I don't see why you would ever be surprised that you're not completing the missions when they're basically another avenue for the company to pimp their IAP.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Lorini posted:

How do you get missions in Pixel People? I've never seen one.

Do you have the new Utopia HQ building? The missions are in there. Tap each mission to see the items, animals and jobs required to complete them. For jobs, tap the job and then select the proper genes that make that job.

Say a mission requires 3 animals, 3 jobs, 30 utopium and, say, 5 million coins. You will lose the animals, utopium and coins when you complete it.

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

Add Tiny Troopers 2 to the list of games with fair IAP items that are entirely attainable through normal gameplay. Though I guess since it costs 99¢ it doesn't really belong if you're just discussing freemium games.

I'm surprised more people aren't playing it, it's a slick little game that was designed from the ground up with mobile, touchscreen gaming in mind. It's a sort of RTS/arcade hybrid that has you commanding a squad of dudes around enemy bases tapping to shoot and then juking to dodge return fire. It's got a nice difficulty curve, great presentation, and clocks in at around twelve hours of gameplay which is great for a buck.

Welp, I just downloaded Star Command, here's hoping it's decent. Other than looking at the Kickstarter a year ago I didn't really follow the game or its hype so I've got no expectations. Also I've never been able to play FTL so there's no high bar for this game to reach. Based on the visuals alone there's no way I could pass this game up. I'll definitely chime in with my thoughts after I've given the game a whirl.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

robodex posted:

FYI for everyone playing Tapped Out, it's literally a game with items that cost upwards of $20 in IAP, I don't see why you would ever be surprised that you're not completing the missions when they're basically another avenue for the company to pimp their IAP.

Yeah, you have to accept that unless you're going to throw silly money at the game, you're not going to get everything. It's a shame because some bits of it are really quite funny.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

shadysight posted:

Has anyone else had issues with Robot Unicorn Attack crashing a lot? I play on my ipad2 and it was working fine for me the first day, and then since then I haven't ever been able to play through all 3 wishes in a row without having it crash someplace in the middle. It's making me a little bonkers since I love the game, but can't finish anything.

Same has been happening for me the last day or so, on iPhone 4S.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I don't have high hopes here, but... Now that I've worn out Star Command for a bit, are there any other (ideally slightly more complex/realistic) spaceship management games out there?

I have a Space Trader style game I've loved playing for a while, plus GoF-style sim games, and I'm even trying to get into a couple of the better 4Xs out there. But I'd looooooooove something with more of a micro focus; fiddling with customizations, managing crew, etc. Hell at this point I'd take something with a theme other than sci-fi.

Am I just stuck waiting for an FTL port? I didn't love that game when It first came out on Steam, but I guess I owe it another shot when it comes around on iOS.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

Trustworthy posted:

I don't have high hopes here, but... Now that I've worn out Star Command for a bit, are there any other (ideally slightly more complex/realistic) spaceship management games out there?

I have a Space Trader style game I've loved playing for a while, plus GoF-style sim games, and I'm even trying to get into a couple of the better 4Xs out there. But I'd looooooooove something with more of a micro focus; fiddling with customizations, managing crew, etc. Hell at this point I'd take something with a theme other than sci-fi.

Am I just stuck waiting for an FTL port? I didn't love that game when It first came out on Steam, but I guess I owe it another shot when it comes around on iOS.

You want Ascension Ascendancy, I believe. It isn't perfect, but it's a deep old school 4x ported right over to iOS.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 3, 2013

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Cry Havoc posted:

What's your name in Tapped Out? I'll leave you some eggs.

But yeah, you had to at least buy the license to whack 10 snakes in each town to have a chance at everything.

Naw, s'alright. I'll reach Willie's alternate outfit by the deadline (gotta have shirtless Willie, after all) and don't need the last two things. I'll just pop in a DVD if I want to see Drederick Tatum again.

robodex posted:

Actually, this is the first time they did such a thing, believe it or not! The Christmas and Halloween events could be finished with over a week to spare. In those cases, where they made all their money was the limited-edition IAP items. Of course, they have those with this event as well, but I guess that isn't enough for them this time. With Tapped Out pretty consistently appearing in the top-10 grossing apps, EA will continue to see how many suckers they can get.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

rogue wave posted:

You want Ascension, I believe. It isn't perfect, but it's a deep old school 4x ported right over to iOS.

Ascendancy, not Ascension. Bonus, it's on sale for $1, down from $7.

http://appshopper.com/games/ascendancy

Edit: I just bought Ascendancy. Got any hot tips?

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Get Ascension anyway.

• Locked thread