Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
A couple of pages ago someone mentioned coconut rice. I've googled for recipes, but am a bit wary of using it with my rice cooker. Will it really not get burned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm cast ironing a 1.5 inch sirloin tonight. I'm used to thinner steaks, so how long per side do I sear it? How long in the oven?

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
How interchangeable are grits and cornmeal? I'm planning on making some grits with dinner tonight, and my two options at the grocer seem to be Quaker grits (non-instant), or Anson Mills coarse-ground cornmeal. The Anson Mills stuff obviously will be a better product, but are they interchangeable?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
They're a completely different product. Grits are ground hominy, a sort of white field corn. Cornmeal is yellow corn that's been ground. Not sure what the provenance of the corn is, though. Either way, if you're wanting some grits, use the grits! They are delicious. If you cook cornmeal like you do grits, you end up with polenta, which is delicious, but is not grits.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
So i've got me a whole chicken for roastin. I'm wanting something super easy that would leave me with chicken good for sandwiches later. How do I roast this thing?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
My wife requested some tilapia for dinner tonight, I was planning on sauteing it in some butter and garlic, add in a little lemon juice too (not too much though because she doesn't like citrus with seafood :wtc:). Last time I cooked fish in my stainless pan it stuck to the bottom, is this because I didn't utilize enough oil/butter/cooking fat?

Also, I want to do something different to make it less boring, maybe crust the fish with crushed nuts, pistachios? any other suggestions? My wife needs to eat gluten free, so no flour dredge.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Captainsalami posted:

So i've got me a whole chicken for roastin. I'm wanting something super easy that would leave me with chicken good for sandwiches later. How do I roast this thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

My wife requested some tilapia for dinner tonight, I was planning on sauteing it in some butter and garlic, add in a little lemon juice too (not too much though because she doesn't like citrus with seafood :wtc:). Last time I cooked fish in my stainless pan it stuck to the bottom, is this because I didn't utilize enough oil/butter/cooking fat?

Also, I want to do something different to make it less boring, maybe crust the fish with crushed nuts, pistachios? any other suggestions? My wife needs to eat gluten free, so no flour dredge.

It was probably a few things. It may be not enough oil, it may have just not unstuck itself, or you may have used a bad spatula.

Not enough oil - use more oil.

unstuck itself - When you cook in stainless it will initially stick but then as the crust forms it will pull away from the pan and unstick itself. Don't flip until the crust is formed.

spatula - I like using a thin oxo cookie spatula because it is really rigid along the plane of the spatula and almost shaves the meat off of the pan in the off chance that it still is stuck.

Crusting with nuts will prevent a lot of sticking and will bring some much wanted flavor to tilapia because, well, tilapia is pretty bland. Pecans, pistachios, and macadamia all would work fine. Chop them up nice and uniformly small but with some texture still in a foodpro.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 2, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A friend gave me a goat leg from his last hunting trip. What can I do with this? Most of the recipes I've read online have suggested using a Dutch Oven, but I don't have one of those. Is it worth it to purchase a Dutch Oven for this?

For instance, this recipe sounds pretty awesome. Does the meat really just fall off of the bone? That sounds amazing!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

A friend gave me a goat leg from his last hunting trip. What can I do with this? Most of the recipes I've read online have suggested using a Dutch Oven, but I don't have one of those. Is it worth it to purchase a Dutch Oven for this?

For instance, this recipe sounds pretty awesome. Does the meat really just fall off of the bone? That sounds amazing!

There isn't anything you can do in a dutch oven that you can't do with, say, a cake pan or large thin pot and aluminium foil.

Yes, once you braise meat for long enough, it'll just pull apart.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

There isn't anything you can do in a dutch oven that you can't do with, say, a cake pan or large thin pot and aluminium foil.

I do indeed have a large aluminum pot! The aluminum foil wraps the leg and I treat the pot as though it were a dutch oven?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I would never have guessed people went hunting for goat.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

In this case I think a cake pan or an pot with aluminum foil would work well enough for a braise, but I think those would be sub-optimal if you wanted to sear food first or saute things in it. But I tend to use my dutch oven for more than braises since I don't have a skillet, so I'm biased. You should totally buy a cast iron dutch oven, they're worth it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I do indeed have a large aluminum pot! The aluminum foil wraps the leg and I treat the pot as though it were a dutch oven?

If the pot will fit the entire leg, then sear the leg (important) and then put it in the pot, add in your braising liquid, then cover the top of the pot with foil and throw it in the oven.

Eeyo posted:

In this case I think a cake pan or an pot with aluminum foil would work well enough for a braise, but I think those would be sub-optimal if you wanted to sear food first or saute things in it. But I tend to use my dutch oven for more than braises since I don't have a skillet, so I'm biased. You should totally buy a cast iron dutch oven, they're worth it.

Eh, I don't agree with that at all. Your stove is more important than the pot. Check out Modernist Cuisine for huge amounts of cookware sperging if you like.

I'd take a bunch of stainless pots over a single dutch oven anytime.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Psychobabble posted:

I would never have guessed people went hunting for goat.

It might be not be normal; I live on an island

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

GrAviTy84 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

It was probably a few things. It may be not enough oil, it may have just not unstuck itself, or you may have used a bad spatula.

Not enough oil - use more oil.

unstuck itself - When you cook in stainless it will initially stick but then as the crust forms it will pull away from the pan and unstick itself. Don't flip until the crust is formed.

spatula - I like using a thin oxo cookie spatula because it is really rigid along the plane of the spatula and almost shaves the meat off of the pan in the off chance that it still is stuck.

Crusting with nuts will prevent a lot of sticking and will bring some much wanted flavor to tilapia because, well, tilapia is pretty bland. Pecans, pistachios, and macadamia all would work fine. Chop them up nice and uniformly small but with some texture still in a foodpro.

Thanks for the suggestions, it worked out wonderful to use pistachios as a crust, and no sticking. I think I may have used a little too much butter, and the nuts didn't stick to the fish well because of my lovely mortar and pestle crush job. Blessing in disguise though, I had an awesome crunchy pistachio/garlic/parsley crunch topping for the fish on the plate.

I like tilapia, I know it is sort of bland, but its cheap and a good canvas. What are some fish I can use instead with a little more distinctive flavor/quality?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tilapia is the most bland nothing fish I can think of, really anything will have more flavor. Catfish is fantastic, cheap (if you're in the US), and usually farm raised so it's nice and environmentally friendly, if that's one of your reasons for choosing tilapia.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, it worked out wonderful to use pistachios as a crust, and no sticking. I think I may have used a little too much butter, and the nuts didn't stick to the fish well because of my lovely mortar and pestle crush job. Blessing in disguise though, I had an awesome crunchy pistachio/garlic/parsley crunch topping for the fish on the plate.

I like tilapia, I know it is sort of bland, but its cheap and a good canvas. What are some fish I can use instead with a little more distinctive flavor/quality?

Are you in the US? If so what part?

Catfish as just mentioned is great and farmed catfish does not have the bad bits that can go along with something like farmed salmon.

If you're in the northeast, Hake is a pretty awesome whitefish and something I never had in the gulf coast and am enjoying quite a bit. It's also cheaper than cod and salmon.

Otherwise maybe get a good flounder or try rainbow trout. If you are into cooking the fish whole, go for spanish / king mackerel or rainbow trout. Both are excellent with just a little thyme or parsley butter compound within / over them and oven roasted.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That and "swai", which is a farm raised catfish from southeast asia that they farm so much of that the US fisheries folks banned using the word catfish anywhere on the packaging to keep for having to compete on price. drat tasty stuff.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dis astranagant posted:

That and "swai", which is a farm raised catfish from southeast asia that they farm so much of that the US fisheries folks banned using the word catfish anywhere on the packaging to keep for having to compete on price. drat tasty stuff.

Oooh yes. Swai is fantastic. Think typical american freshwater catfish but with almost a light coconut flavor in the background. Also Swai doesn't get the earthy / "Fishy" flavor that american freshwater catfish can get. That off-taste is not actually anything bad, just a compound produced by certain types of algae that can grow in the farm ponds and natural environments. Lots of money spent keeping those types of algae blooms down as the flavor harms the price of the fish.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Swai is cheap, but it's also kinda bland imo. And it really doesn't come in nice meaty fillets. I suppose it's a notch better than tilapia IMO, but I usually don't get it.

Here on the westcoast I usually grab Rockfish and/or catfish for cheap utility duty, Mackerel or Rainbow Trout for grilling. Pacific sole (oft sold as Dover sole but priced < 5bux/lb, at that price, it's def not Dover) is a nice utility fish with better flavor than swai.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Swai is cheap, but it's also kinda bland imo. And it really doesn't come in nice meaty fillets. I suppose it's a notch better than tilapia IMO, but I usually don't get it.

Here on the westcoast I usually grab Rockfish and/or catfish for cheap utility duty, Mackerel or Rainbow Trout for grilling. Pacific sole (oft sold as Dover sole but priced < 5bux/lb, at that price, it's def not Dover) is a nice utility fish with better flavor than swai.

I found (at least in TX) that swai was a little nicer flavor than the standard US farmed catfish. Not tremendously so, but both were head and shoulders above tilapia. All of these are cheap fish though. If money was no issue I'd be eating amberjack or grouper every chance I could get.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, we're talking about fish that sell comparable to ground beef in the flyover states here.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Awesome fish suggestions, I am east coast, DC/metro, so I have no excuse as far as fish is concerned. My family gravitates towards shellfish over fish-fish, so we didn't grow up eating a lot of fish. Stuck to shrimp and scallops and blue crabs.

I have had rockfish, which is popular in Baltimore, and I love it. Salmon is sort of neither here nor there for me, its passable but kind of boring, I prefer it raw. Catfish was actually about the same price as tilapia, I didn't buy it because I remember from a while back that catfish can taste muddy, but maybe that's wild-caught and not farmed. I've grilled rainbow trout and it was pretty drat good from what I remember. I have ordered grouper a few times and for some reason when I get grouper in a restaurant it is pretty terrible, so maybe I should give it a go myself.

We are trying to get more into fish, so a little experimentation into types of fish is a nice opportunity to expand our tastes.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every time I cook chocolate chip cookies they get really flat. I read somewhere that perhaps my dough wasn't cool enough and needed chilled before putting it on a cookie sheet and into the oven. I chilled my dough and the cookies were still flat. Do I need more/less baking soda? They taste great, they just get super super flat.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

Every time I cook chocolate chip cookies they get really flat. I read somewhere that perhaps my dough wasn't cool enough and needed chilled before putting it on a cookie sheet and into the oven. I chilled my dough and the cookies were still flat. Do I need more/less baking soda? They taste great, they just get super super flat.

Could be baking soda, could be too much butter to flour which would give you a lack of structure. Are they uniformly flat or do they angle downward from the center out?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could also be that you're not creaming the butter and sugar enough before you add the other stuff. Also, you could be over mixing once you out in the flour.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

This probably isn't your issue (especially if this happens with all the batches), but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Make sure your baking sheets are cooled down between batches. I let mine cool on a rack first, then remove the cookies and run the sheet under some water and dry off before putting the next batch on. If the sheets are hot, the butter in the dough will melt too quickly and the cookies will spread more.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Am I the only one who prefers the thin buttery chocolate chip cookies? Because I think they are way tastier.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Am I the only one who prefers the thin buttery chocolate chip cookies? Because I think they are way tastier.

This is almost akin to the smash vs thick burger argument. I like em both. But do each style well. No half ways.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rand alPaul posted:

What's your recipe look like? I'm in favor of something similar to Alton's 'Chewy'

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

My GF is from Shanghai and we've been trying to find a restaurant that helps cure her homesickness a bit. The last few times we've gone to an Asian restaurant she's ordered the Hot Pot. The Hot Pot has largely been the same everywhere and has largely resembled the type of service you get when you order Pho. Huge bowl, delicious broth, noodles, meat, some type of vegetable and greens to go along with it. Regardless of whether or not the restaurant predominantly identifies as Vietnamese or Chinese.

Except for one place, which is the "most" Vietnamese of all the Vietnamese style restaurants. Whereas the other restaurants are focused around serving Vietnamese baguettes with sushi and Pho on the side, this one particular restaurant is almost 100% focused on Pho and Hot Pots. This particular restaurants Hot Pot is not like the soupy Hot Pot you get else where. You get what is basically a ramekin half filled with rice (that has a crispy almost fried texture on the outside reminiscent of tahdiq) and topped with what I believe to be julienned bamboo shoot and thinly sliced onion. Very very very flavorful and definitely not a soup. We go back to this restaurant specifically for their Hot Pot (and a very spicy and ginger heavy variant of Pho that I am in love with).

We were thinking of making this at home, so I've begun looking up recipes, YT vids, etc. Sadly, I have not come across a recipe or video that resembles the Hot Pot I am ordering at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant. Could anyone offer some insight, clarification, etc?

Anyone?

I've tried roasting my brussel sprouts but they still have a bit of a foot flavor.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Rand alPaul posted:

http://theperfectchocolatechipcookie.com/instruct.php

Love this recipe and love the troubleshooting on the website. Might give you some insight into what is going wrong.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can anyone give me a good barbecue sauce recipe that isn't ketchup/molasses based?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
How you feel about vinegar based que?

ed

Butter, red wine vinegar, cider vinegar, white vinegar, water, tomato paste, brown sugar, Worcestershire, garlic, cayenne, fennel, sweet yellow onion.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 3, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm willing to try a few. I'll be smoking pork shoulder tomorrow so it'll be for that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scott Bakula posted:

Can anyone give me a good barbecue sauce recipe that isn't ketchup/molasses based?

When I make it, I start with a can of crushed tomatoes, add brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, molasses, garlic, finely chopped onion, salt, some sort of spicy heat and then simmer it until it thickens and continuously adjust. Once it's where I want it, I force it through a chinois and then add a little liquid smoke.

There may be ingredients i'm forgetting, as the whole thing is rather ad hoc. But for a traditional barbecue sauce, you want tomatoes, sugar (molasses, honey, brown sugar, just not white sugar), some sort of acid, probably some aromatics, and some smoke. Heat is optional.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I like a mustard vinegar sauce on pulled pork. Apple cider vinegar, garlic, mustard, thyme, and chile flake all into a blender. Add just enough brown sugar to take some of the bite from the vinegar but not so much to make it sweet. Season with salt to taste.

It is not a conventional thick "American" BBQ sauce, so if that's what you're looking for, you will be disappointed. Those thick sweet syrupy "BBQ FLAVORED" sauces are awful most of the time anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Randomity posted:

http://theperfectchocolatechipcookie.com/instruct.php

Love this recipe and love the troubleshooting on the website. Might give you some insight into what is going wrong.

Favorite chip for chocolate chip cookies? Nestle/Hershey/store brands are always too plain, I end up going with the 60% cacao chips or something like that, even if they cost another buck or two or I can't find them at my local crap store.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like a mustard vinegar sauce on pulled pork.

DING DING DING! Listen to this man, mustard sauces of all varieties are amazing on pulled pork. I make a somewhat similar one with habeneros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like a mustard vinegar sauce on pulled pork. Apple cider vinegar, garlic, mustard, thyme, and chile flake all into a blender. Add just enough brown sugar to take some of the bite from the vinegar but not so much to make it sweet. Season with salt to taste.

Any recommendation on the kind of mustard I should use for this?