Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Barnyard chillin'.

ID's please:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Holy poo poo that rooster :aaaaa:

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

Greycious posted:

This was more a question my husband wanted me to post.

At least one of our hens has a small amount of poo crust around her vent. It isn't a whole lot or blocking her vent, but I guess it concerns him. Is this something we ought to clean off her? Or do all chickens tend to get somewhat dirty vents?

Over the winter this chicken DID have a fair bit of poo stuck in her rear end fluff, so we cut that out.

We give them a fair bit of scraps, so I'm guessing something we tossed them one day just gave her some loose stools.

Sounds like she has 'Vent Gleet'
That link gives some suggestions that worked on one of my birds. I substituted a buttermilk/oatmeal treat for the recommended yogurt though. I was told buttermilk culture remains in the system while yogurt passes through too quickly.
However, the epsom salt bath/soakings do the trick. Try it at night for better results. (The birds cooperate a lot more)
Hope this helps!

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

The first is a silver Campine pullet. The brown one is a Speckled Sussex pullet.
I don't know for sure what the one in the background is but I suspect that it's a Golden Laced Wyandotte rooster.

hypoallergenic cat breed fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 28, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
You rule. How about the one to the left of Polka in the strutting picture?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Hmm, it looks like an Easter Egger but it's legs are yellow which is atypical. I can't really tell from the picture but if it has a beard it's a EE for sure.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Perhaps a Welsummer?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Soooooooo close. I have to trim the bottom to seal up the seam in the hardware cloth and then put the metal roof on.

3 weekends. I can finish if I can get one of my loser loving friends to help me lift this drat thing onto the top and screw it in. The mulch is pecan shell, an entire yard. The hardware cloth goes out 3 feet under a layer of dirt and then mulch. Every seam in the mesh is sew together with wire, screwed in with large metal screws with built in washers and covered in wood trim screwed into the 2x4s with 3 inch coated screws.

Is 8 inches wide big enough of an opening for the chooks to walk out or should I make it bigger?

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.
My landlady is going to loan me a book on back garden chicken-keeping from the 1920s to have a peep (lawl) at. Not making my self-imposed wait until next year any easier, Miss Landlady. :(

I should probably just be glad I've got such a cool landlord, but doggone it, the hardware store is getting a chick shipment in on Thursday and nnnngh.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Roo got cocci, had his second vet visit today. Cross your fingers he makes it, I'm kicking myself in the rear end for not keeping the run and coop cleaner.

Chido fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 30, 2013

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

Roo got cocci, had his second vet visit today. Cross your fingers he makes it, I'm kicking myself in the add for not keeping the run and coop cleaner.
Oh no. Fingers crossed from here in the UK for Roostroyer.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 29, 2013

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

Roo got cocci, had his second vet visit today. Cross your fingers he makes it, I'm kicking myself in the rear end for not keeping the run and coop cleaner.

Don't blame yourself. Chickens can be affected by cocci even with the best sanitation. The fact that you recognized it quickly and found him treatment is huge. Are you treating the rest of the flock?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

luloo123 posted:

Don't blame yourself. Chickens can be affected by cocci even with the best sanitation. The fact that you recognized it quickly and found him treatment is huge. Are you treating the rest of the flock?

I can't take the flock to the vet, can't afford it, so I'll do some research and see what other people do during outbreaks and hopefully I can find a way to treat them :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh no Chido. :ohdear: I wish you the best for all your chickens.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

I can't take the flock to the vet, can't afford it, so I'll do some research and see what other people do during outbreaks and hopefully I can find a way to treat them :(

You may want to either ask your vet for advice, even if you can't take the whole flock to see him/her, and if you haven't done so, you may want to PM VS. She had an outbreak a few years ago, and while she lost some of the chicks, she was able to save the rest of the flock.

I'm so sorry. Parasites suck.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I've been trolling craigslist for cock for a week now and finally found someone who posted a baby Cochin rooster. So I call up and ask about him, and she says, "Oh, I'll give you a hen with him too so that he has a buddy growing up." Then when I tell her that we have a decent amount of land for them to graze on, she offers what is possibly a yellow Silkie rooster and a hen to go with that. All for $5.

Soooo yeah.

We're gonna keep them separated from the rest of the flock till they grow up a bit and the others get used to them. Also that way they'll grow to a size that the hawks won't get them. Dad has a sort of mobile run that we'll keep them in during the day, and we'll bring them in at night until it gets a little warmer.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I ordered chicken nipples for a new waterer for the chickens, and I'm gonna make this for their food. drat pigeons and other wildbirds have been eating too much of their chicken feed :mad:

Neat, easy to make feeder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJvqH7a78SA

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

I ordered chicken nipples for a new waterer for the chickens, and I'm gonna make this for their food. drat pigeons and other wildbirds have been eating too much of their chicken feed :mad:

Sorry to hear about Roo getting sick, Chido. Could be the pigeons and other birds brought diseases in with them. The chicken wire in your run should at least keep out the pigeons and most wild birds. Perhaps keep the feeder inside the run and maybe build a small backdoor into the run that only the chickens know about (to help keep wild birds out).

The Rat: What a score! Your $5 chickens look awesome and so cute in their awkward teenage stage!!! Love the fluffy silkies.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Chido:

I'd be happy to show you pictures of the chicken waterer with nipples that my husband made, if you need any other ideas. It came out to less than $20 in parts. It's basically PVC pipe, a 2-gallon bucket, and a cheap water-safe garden hose, with chicken nipples.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido: there's also videos on Youtube about chicken nipples and people showing off the waterers they made.

You know...I wonder if Roostroyer picked up his disease when his foot got hurt and all the henhos pecked at it? :(

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
We've got a small coop with a built-in run. We've been putting an old dog fence (about 2' tall) around it during the day so the girls have more room to forage. It's been great so far; they enjoy it, the cats and dogs stay out.

Monday night we forgot to close them back in. Usually they go in by themselves and we just go out and shut the living space door so there's no draft. But we didn't do it Monday night. As we were sitting there, we heard a loud squawking. Really loud. Close.

One of the chickens (Lily) jumped the fence. Then she walked the 20' or so from the coop to our front door (which we leave open for the cats and dogs to come and go), came inside, and wandered up to us.

The dogs? Didn't really care. They wanted to smell the chickens, but made no aggressive moves. Cats? Did not give any fucks whatsoever. So we picked up Lily and put her back in the coop. All the other girls were asleep on their roost.

Yesterday Rose jumped the fence and went running to my husband when he called her. :3:

So, time to clip wings again, I guess. And get a taller fence.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I got a couple of chicks to go with my three bantams, they're 3-4 weeks old now:

Lynza, my dog is the same. Wanders around sniffing them but isn't too bothered:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Roo didn't make it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh honey I'm so sorry. :(

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
My condolences, Chido. Roo was a god amongst chickens. :smith:

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. :(

Man, that really bums me out. I loved that big silly bird. :smith:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Argh! I just knew that when I saw several posts in this thread that it would be bad news about Roo. :(

So sorry Chido! You have my sincere condolences. :(

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Aw, Chido, I'm so sorry. :(

He had a really great life, and he was Lord of the Chickenz.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ah, that's so sad, Chido. He was the most awesome rooster. I'm actually tearing up over the news. Going to go out and see my hens now.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

So sorry about Roo. If they sold mugs that say "world's best chicken mom" then I would get you one. I know you dis everything you could.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Thank you guys, all your comments mean a lot to me <3. After some debate on what to do with Roo, and seeing how we lost Baba too a couple weeks ago, my sister decided to take Roo to get a necropsy. I didn't talk to her, she talked to my brother in law so he'd go buy ice to keep Roo's body as unspoiled as possible. I'm not sure where's she gonna take him, but I believe it will be the lab in UC San Bernadino. they do it for free but you gotta take the animal to them. She wants to make sure there's nothing else besides cocci making its round in our flock.

I'm in the process of cleaning the yard ans bleaching all concrete/cement floors. I'm gonna use oxine in the run after I remove the dry leaves and top soil layer to reduce the presence of cocci as much as possible. Cross oyur fingers nobody else gets sick, as I'm also giving them corid and the leftover albon I have in their water to prevent any other hen getting sick.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

Thank you guys, all your comments mean a lot to me <3. After some debate on what to do with Roo, and seeing how we lost Baba too a couple weeks ago, my sister decided to take Roo to get a necropsy. I didn't talk to her, she talked to my brother in law so he'd go buy ice to keep Roo's body as unspoiled as possible. I'm not sure where's she gonna take him, but I believe it will be the lab in UC San Bernadino. they do it for free but you gotta take the animal to them. She wants to make sure there's nothing else besides cocci making its round in our flock.

I'm in the process of cleaning the yard ans bleaching all concrete/cement floors. I'm gonna use oxine in the run after I remove the dry leaves and top soil layer to reduce the presence of cocci as much as possible. Cross oyur fingers nobody else gets sick, as I'm also giving them corid and the leftover albon I have in their water to prevent any other hen getting sick.

So sorry, Chido. He was a great roo, and you know that somewhere out there his bloodline is continuing on.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh Chido I'm so sorry. :(

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Damnit, no. So sorry Chido. He was the best loving rooster.:(

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Chido posted:

Roo didn't make it.

Day ruined. :( He was a drat fine boy, and looked good in a dress too.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well, I just got a bit of news that cheered me up. I thought the family who took Roo's babies traded them all but one for other chickens. I was wrong. They traded one rooster, kept one hen, and gave the rest to their son's friend's family. My nieces told me the babies have been busy making more babies, so Roo's legacy does indeed live on! :unsmith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw Roo, no. Glad to hear his progeny is doing well though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

Well, I just got a bit of news that cheered me up. I thought the family who took Roo's babies traded them all but one for other chickens. I was wrong. They traded one rooster, kept one hen, and gave the rest to their son's friend's family. My nieces told me the babies have been busy making more babies, so Roo's legacy does indeed live on! :unsmith:

Any chance of you getting a roo from those babies to keep the ladies in line down the road? And how are the hens taking it?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Chido, I am so sorry for your loss. Roostroyer is a legend among legends and we will keep him in our hearts forever! HUGS and KISSES to you and your family. :sympathy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Any chance of you getting a roo from those babies to keep the ladies in line down the road? And how are the hens taking it?

Or perhaps try to get one of the original Roostroyer baby cocks or hens? They must be out there!

And remember that VS offered you Sparklebob, who might turn out to be a full Light Brahma roo (or hen)! There's lots of options for you! :)