Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

drat, I would LOVE a new Cooking Mama and Trauma Center game on the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Canned Panda posted:

drat, I would LOVE a new Cooking Mama and Trauma Center game on the Wii U.

Maybe a combination of the two?

Cooking Trauma?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Maybe a combination of the two?

Cooking Trauma?

Trauma Mama

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Barudak posted:

Trauma Mama

"Mama will make it better!"

It could so work...

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Are we fixing people with kitchen utensils or preparing humans for consumption?

Either way I'll buy it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Are we fixing people with kitchen utensils or preparing human for consumption?

Either way I'll buy it.

It's a Civil War-era surgery simulator, obviously. The Mama is patching up soldiers on her kitchen table with whatever she has laying around.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cooking Trauma sounds like a meth dealer simulation ala Breaking Bad.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Alright, that explains things a little better. It probably seemed to run just fine since you never owned the real game and wouldn't notice missing elements or effects, wrong colors, transparency flaws. 1964 or honestly even Corn was the emulator of choice back in '02 or '03 for Mario 64 since UltraHLE had several glitches.

I was talking about when UltraHLE came out in 1999. I regularly played the original at a friend's house and could make direct comparisons (the emulated version was preferred due to the higher resolution on my old Voodoo). I realize emulation is rarely a 1:1 experience, but I just have to disagree with you about the level of quality in that era or the effort required on Nintendo's part.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toady posted:

I was talking about when UltraHLE came out in 1999. I regularly played the original at a friend's house and could make direct comparisons (the emulated version was preferred due to the higher resolution on my old Voodoo). I realize emulation is rarely a 1:1 experience, but I just have to disagree with you about the level of quality in that era or the effort required on Nintendo's part.

I remember it only played 15 or 20 games on a specific Voodoo card until you had a Glide wrapper. I think I played Ocarina of Time on it, which looked great in the first hour or so but it was pretty downhill once you had to go anywhere else. Either way I felt dirty playing an emulator of a current console.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

greatn posted:

Was anyone in here seriously going to get Madden for WiiU?

It seems to me that the tablet controller would be perfect for a football game because you could create your own plays. Nintendo should make a Mario themed football game with this feature.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Silver Falcon posted:

If you're into platformers, there's Sonic Colors, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Rayman Origins.

Don't forget Kirby's Return to Dreamland, which is basically a sequel to Kirby Super Star in terms of how it plays, and the two Good-Feel games (Wario Land Shake and Kirby's Epic Yarn).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

It's not about liking Madden, it's about why would you get the WiiU version when there are almost certainly better versions? Ditto with Injustice. A theoretical Madden 14 is not going to match either other version in online for sure.
Calling audibles in the other versions is a massive pain in the rear end (and just really limited vs what you could do on the gamepad). Online is a plus for the Wii U for me...cause I've been too cheap to pay for Xbox Live. Even without that stuff I'd still get the Wii U version for off TV play.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I want a multiplayer game to be released that really plays up the whole "asynchronous gameplay" thing. I always though a Dungeons & Dragons game would fit really well with the WiiU, if the "dungeon master" has the wiiu pad and gets to place monsters/traps/hazards while everyone else fights stuff and so on.

I really just loved ZombiU's multiplayer but thought that it would have been incredible 4v1.
I think they're doing this with the 3DS Mario Golf game actually. Well the asynchronous gameplay thing, not the dungeon master stuff.

thefncrow posted:

Man, I got the numbers wrong. That kinda changes the analysis some. But, yes, rumor is that there was to be a second team handling TW15, and then 16 would be the normal guys with 2 years of time. Supposedly, the second team plan died as a cost cutting measure when those EA layoffs came down, but EA didn't assign TW15 back to the usual team when they did this, signaling that there just might not be a TW15.
Yeah, basically the plans blew up when Riccitiello was canned and they went into cost cutting mode. (Of all places) Kotaku's the source on this:
http://kotaku.com/ea-sports-also-hurts-after-a-rough-week-of-painful-cuts-483860247

quote:

For if a series like Tiger Woods PGA Tour is put on hiatus, even for a year, then everything is on the table. I have learned, from persons with knowledge of the series' development, that Tiger Woods PGA Tour 15 is not happening. On any platform. EA's plan was to outsource that edition of the game, to give the in-house team two years to make Tiger Woods 16, taking advantage of all the PS4 and the next Xbox would have to offer. When CEO John Riccitiello gave his resignation last month, that plan was scrapped as a cost-saving move. The game hasn't been reassigned to the Tiger Woods team, either. Some of its personnel already have been sent to other teams in the EA Tiburon studio for the time being.

I went to an EA Sports spokesman with that rumor and was told they wouldn't comment on it, which is not surprising. The latest game came out only a month ago, and publicly traded video game companies have investor relations divisions that don't want people chattering about unannounced products, especially ones that have been unofficially canceled.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour is a 16-year-old annual series, one that presumably pays royalties to two parties—Augusta National Golf Club and Tiger Woods himself. It's admirable that the development team got a two-year window to put out a game that would be truly distinctive, rather than incrementally updating or porting over something after publishing three titles in 33 months. But if EA Sports really does put it the series on ice for a year, that is a remarkable decision.
Unless the Wii U manages to fly off the shelves in the next year I'm guessing it'll miss out on Tiger too (barring EA thinking that the audience would buy Tiger).

greatn posted:

I definitely an looking forward to Tiger Woods 15 or 16 or 17 or whenever the hell they get the next one out. Virtual golf is so relaxing and Mario Golf just hasn't been able to keep up so far.
Has there even been a Mario Golf since the GC and GBA games? (other than the upcoming 3DS one that is)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Gutcruncher posted:

Every time I see a game ending on U I cant help but think of it as ending in an OO sound. Zomboo, Cooking Mamoo, Trauma Centoo, Need for Speed Most Wantoo. What I am saying is that all Wii U games should use this naming convention

Zeldoo.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So does this mean we might Mario All-Stars Golf featuring Tiger Woods?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/01/nintendo-sends-wii-owners-a-wii-connect-24-message-that-wii-u-is-a-new-system

Well this ought-ta work!

IGN video, Nintendo sent out a message to all Wiis that the WiiU is a brand new console.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The beginning of that makes it sound like it's just a hardware revision.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ghostwritingduck posted:

It seems to me that the tablet controller would be perfect for a football game because you could create your own plays. Nintendo should make a Mario themed football game with this feature.

I would play this because Waluigi will probably have his own team. And Waluigi is a bastion of good sportsmanship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6CLfZl0m88

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well Next Level Games is done with Luigi's Mansion now, good time to get them to try the other football.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

AlmightyBob posted:

The beginning of that makes it sound like it's just a hardware revision.

Nintendo isn't really better off than anyone else this generation in having to explain why new hardware is necessary to people pretty happy with the old hardware overall, other than that the Wii wasn't in HD. I think Sony and Microsoft are going to struggle similarly in explaining why getting their new system is worthwhile until they have a couple years worth of a game library for it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Boten Anna posted:

Nintendo isn't really better off than anyone else this generation in having to explain why new hardware is necessary to people pretty happy with the old hardware overall, other than that the Wii wasn't in HD. I think Sony and Microsoft are going to struggle similarly in explaining why getting their new system is worthwhile until they have a couple years worth of a game library for it.

The problem is really less that people dont see the need to upgrade to the new system, and more that people didnt realize that the Wii U was a new system at all.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

The problem is really less that people dont see the need to upgrade to the new system, and more that people didnt realize that the Wii U was a new system at all.

That much is obvious at this point.

I actually had yet another "I thought it was just a controller thing for the Wii" moment the other night with a friend, and he's a fairly avid Nintendo guy who buys the new ones to play the new Mario/Zelda/etc games. He didn't even know it was out, much less that it was it's own console. He thought it was just another peripheral.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How would you do a Nintendo football game? I imagine you'd give each main franchise character their own team or something, but that's a lot of players per team. Would each have different mooks filling out non quarterback roles? Football has a lot more players on field than most other Nintendo sports games, even their Soccer is 3v3, which you can't really do with football. Mario could have toads, Bowser Koopa Troopas, but who would Luigi get? I'd like to see what they come up with to get 11 men per team.

Maybe each franchise gets a team.

Link, Zelda, Groose, Tingle, Koume, Kotake, Impa, A Goron, a Deku, a Zora, and The Postman all on a team

vs.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Yoshi, Rosalina, Professor Whatshisname, the guy you race in Sunshine, a Pianta

Meanwhile over in another stadium, you'd have

Bowser, Dry Bones, Koopa Troopa, Bowser Jr., Chargin Chuck(obviously), Ludwig, Wendy, Kamek, Hammer Bro, Lakitu, the fat lightning bolt guy

vs

Wario, Waluigi, Syrup, the Wario Ware Crew

That... would probably be way too ambitious for a mascot sports game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

They could just do the All Pro Football thing and just make a normal non-NFL Football game. Since they wont have to worry about competition from Madden, it might actually sell this time!

Edit: Actually, nows the time! Nintendo should throw money at 2K Sports to make a new All pro Football for them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It could work if they did 5 a side football.

If they wanted to use the full amount of players, linemen would have to be generic characters.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Retro was working on their own NFL game to compete with Madden/2k, way back in the day, but it and every other non-Metroid project was axed when Nintendo cleaned house.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

greatn posted:

How would you do a Nintendo football game? I imagine you'd give each main franchise character their own team or something, but that's a lot of players per team. Would each have different mooks filling out non quarterback roles? Football has a lot more players on field than most other Nintendo sports games, even their Soccer is 3v3, which you can't really do with football. Mario could have toads, Bowser Koopa Troopas, but who would Luigi get? I'd like to see what they come up with to get 11 men per team.

Link, Zelda, Groose, Tingle, Koume, Kotake, Impa, A Goron, a Deku, a Zora, and The Postman all on a team

vs.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Yoshi, Rosalina, Professor Whatshisname, the guy you race in Sunshine, a Pianta

Bowser, Dry Bones, Koopa Troopa, Bowser Jr., Chargin Chuck(obviously), Ludwig, Wendy, Kamek, Hammer Bro, Lakitu, the fat lightning bolt guy

vs

I've never watched the sport but I would play the poo poo out of this. I don't really know how well games like Madden sell, but would a Mario themed sports game have a bigger audience than an EA sports game?

Also Mario's team would have to be called the Super Mario All-Stars™

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

greatn posted:

vs.

vs

They could use Toads and Goombas to fill out teams.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

KimT posted:

I've never watched the sport but I would play the poo poo out of this. I don't really know how well games like Madden sell, but would a Mario themed sports game have a bigger audience than an EA sports game?

Probably not.

Last year, Madden 2013 sold 1.65 million units in its first week.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I think it could, just not all at once. Nintendo games tend to sell pretty well for a very long time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ghostwritingduck posted:

They could use Toads and Goombas to fill out teams.

Goomba linebackers, Toad safeties and Koopa special teams

Get on it Nintendo :allears:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

:words:

Multiple Nintendo franchises in one game..."Smash" Football? :haw:

Soccer was 5 on 5 (plus goalie) from what I can tell, so it wouldn't be that different. I think 6 or 7 like Blitz is about as low as you can go, QB/LB, 3 WRs/DBs, 2 or 3 lineman. Main character would be the QB, and/or pick a star for your own team at each position (captain/QB + WR + lineman) with whatever generic guys filling in the rest of the spots.

And Luigi would field a team of ghosts :colbert:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

I disagree, because the current generation has lasted way too long-- I mean it'll be 8 years in November-- also no one is going to think "is this Playstation 4 an accessory for the Playstation 3???" Also I'd argue there are actual forward-thinking concepts in the next-generation, such as instant streaming, always-on recording, game multitasking, swipe UI gestures, cloud game streaming to mobile/web devices, etc. There's more than just a graphical leap.

Nintendo is definitely more likely to have really good titles lined up for the holiday season, though. Launch libraries always suck.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nintendo is definitely more likely to have really good titles lined up for the holiday season, though. Launch libraries always suck.

I assume you never heard of this little thing called the Dreamcast :colbert:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Goomba linebackers, Toad safeties and Koopa special teams

Get on it Nintendo :allears:

The Strikers series is already fantastic. I want it to be their main core sport and a new game should come out every 1/2 years.

Strikers Charged on the Wii..man I think the only games I invested more time into were Smash Bros and Monhun and not by much let me tell you. It had major balance issues and people hacked it to poo poo later and even that wasn't enough to soil how loving FUN it is. Please bring it back on the U Nintendo. :(

EDIT: God drat the balance though. There were characters that could 100% stonewall you, and a good goal shooting stat pretty much meant there was a 50/50 chance the goalie (which is AI-controlled) would let the ball through. The AI cheated worse than in any other game I've ever seen, I'm talking Mortal Kombat II levels of bullshit. All of this wasn't enough to make me return it.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 3, 2013

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The way they've trended lately, Mario would have a team of 10 Luigis.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

Dreamcast had great launch lineup, didn't sell. Wii U had pretty decent launch lineup, isn't selling. Maybe the lovely launch is the better path after all...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gutcruncher posted:

The US DC lineup was only good because it got delayed. The Japanese one was awful. From memory it was.. four games or something, and two of them were a lovely Godzilla game and a visual novel that nobody liked.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait, what about the Wii U's launch lineup was decent? Most of their planned games for launch didn't make it and they only had New Super Marios Bros. U and Nintendo Land to their name as good unique games. Any of their remaining games have already been released for a good while, are shovelware, or have very minor changes for the Wii U version (AKA Arkham City and Tekken).

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Quest For Glory II posted:

I disagree, because the current generation has lasted way too long-- I mean it'll be 8 years in November--

It's kind of crazy to think about. I have such fond memories of growing up with the NES and SNES, which I think I had maybe three and four years respectively? Just think if you got a 360 when you were 10 years old. You'd be playing that thing through part of grade school, all of middle and high school, and into your first year of college and possibly beyond. You might be on your third or fourth 360 by this point, but still. I don't think anybody is going to replicate that feat any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Wait, what about the Wii U's launch lineup was decent? Most of their planned games for launch didn't make it and they only had New Super Marios Bros. U and Nintendo Land to their name as good unique games. Any of their remaining games have already been released for a good while, are shovelware, or have very minor changes for the Wii U version (AKA Arkham City and Tekken).

ZombiU and Black Ops II with the Gamepad features.

• Locked thread