Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
So...wandering around the mountains at night, there's a roar. Bloppo, my faithful Man Who Shoots Magic, shouts something about a chimera, and then I get a shitload of XP for absolutely nothing.

...did that dumb three-headed motherfucker run itself off a cliff and die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

SombereroLad posted:

Really? Even when I try and equip hired pawns with everfall stuff I find on BBI the UI is like "YOU CAN'T GIVE THAT PAWN THIS ITEM", Doubly so for BBI cursed 2+ items.
Oh, that might've just been level 1 BBI stuff, I guess?

Lotish posted:

Are there upgrades to any warriors abilities? I haven't seen any--I've only gotten spell and fighter upgrade rings.
Yes, I've gotten rings for both Savage/Indomitable skills and the Arc skill

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

jfjnpxmy posted:

So...wandering around the mountains at night, there's a roar. Bloppo, my faithful Man Who Shoots Magic, shouts something about a chimera, and then I get a shitload of XP for absolutely nothing.

...did that dumb three-headed motherfucker run itself off a cliff and die?

I would not be surprised. I've been hearing some mumblings about-I don't want to try this myself since I was cheesed out of my first kill-that certain abilities that can knock Death down, well...they knocked him down over some water somewhere apparently, and the Brine got him. If this is true, then the Brine really doesn't accept any sort of trespassers, does it now?

Oh yeah-Pawn antics. Well more like conversation. I had a pawn that was saying something about the many things about the sewer and the enemies I was in. Amon(whose pretty much now 'aggressive' in his tone) was yelling 'Die', and then in the middle of the healy mage pawn having some lectures, Amon goes almost on queue ''Hitting it would help.'' In this tone that basically said 'What the gently caress are you on about?!'

Azaael fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 2, 2013

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Gestalt Intellect posted:

DD was my favorite game of last year. Technically I played Borderlands 2 for longer but DD just had so many unforgettable moments. I know I'm getting DA at some point, I'm just wondering if it's worth the full price to upgrade when it sounds like there are some frustrations with the new content. Mostly I'm trying to figure out if there's an actual reason to do that second, more-difficult runthrough of the new content, since I've heard mostly positive things about the first trip through it and negative things about the second.

If anything I had a much smoother trip my second time through the dungeon because I had become familiar with the new enemies and layout of the place by the time I got to that point. The spawns are tougher but I knew most of their tricks and weaknesses already. If some super bullshit stuff pops up, just run away. I think I've gotten my money's worth already.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What's the best way to get alot of Liquid Vim? The spawns in BBI version 2 have way too much health and I'm still sporting a BBI lvl 2 bow so tenfold shot on my ranger is pretty much mandatory to do any damage.

EDIT: Looks like there's a level 3 of every skill, a ring gave me the upgraded versions of Ice/Thunder affinity

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 2, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Giant Fish and Pickled Mushrooms(from Iola in Cassardis) make Liquid Vim, so your best bet is probably putting a portstone at Bloodwater beach and farming fish.

EDIT: I guess you could also duplicate Giant fish or Liquid vim but I'm not sure if that'd be faster.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Lakbay posted:

What's the best way to get alot of Liquid Vim? The spawns in BBI version 2 have way too much health and I'm still sporting a BBI lvl 2 bow so tenfold shot on my ranger is pretty much mandatory to do any damage.

EDIT: Looks like there's a level 3 of every skill, a ring gave me the upgraded versions of Ice/Thunder affinity

I think there's a table in the room behind Alon in his shop in the quarry that they spawn on. Not sure how often though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I personally just carry stacks of large mushrooms that you can buy from the shops. If you have Fournival as your love interest (only the hardcore Ur-Dragon farmers ever do) or are willing to wait/turn invisible, you can also buy mushroom portages off him. They're pretty equivalent stamina:weight ratios.

Liquid vim is nice and all but still a bother to make.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha ha, tried out the trick for the DLC boss. His health just melted away. He only got the chance to attack because I ran out of Blast Arrows, and he chose the rift portal one. Bit more buffing and the last health bar went pretty quick too.

Oh, and I had a suicidal pawn today. First she grabbed one of those big poison zombies and went over a cliff with it, then I rehired her and she leapt over a chest and off a cliff. But she's not done that since so I'm keeping her around for a bit longer. Haven't been able to get on the server with DA yet, so I've just been using premade ones. They're generally ok.

And I also found out that I missed an entire area of Bitterblack. Only one of the little arena type rooms though. Turns out it was Zombietown.

Between Ghost Pope, the big bad dragons, and the cursed ones, Bitterblack Isle is pretty great for Dragonforging stuff.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I guess I need blast arrows since I used tenfold + 4x conqueror + vim and the 2nd form of the final DLC boss still took several minutes and I almost died/ran out of curatives.

Also the sovereign mantle seems to be better than the hellfire cloak because of the +strength? it looks like there's only a few points difference at 3 stars for both.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
So I'm in the Everfall now and shits officially gotten real. I'm blowing through potions like koolaid in Jonestown. I'm going to need about a pallet of pots every time I gently caress around down there. Up until this point, I've been able to get by on the potions and ingredients I had lying around or picked up during the course of the game. Now I need to get serious about alchemy. What are the best potion recipes that I can mass produce with ingredients that are consistently available somewhere? What dope potions do you all carry around a ton of and how do you make them/farm ingredients for them?

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Today's pawn deaths have been quite prolific. Let's see, we've had a couple obligatory Death scythes, then I walked into the Rememberance place, and two of the Firebrand guys flew directly into the pawns faces and knocked two of them right off the edge before I could do anything(my pawn mauled them afterward though). Then a Dragon blew one off the edge. Hopefully the RCs help make up for it. It was just a Benny Hill skit of pawn deaths.

(And yeah, lately I've had a mini-game where I play 'let me guess how many times my pawn survived the night' when I get him back from some folks in the morning.)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Azaael posted:

Today's pawn deaths have been quite prolific. Let's see, we've had a couple obligatory Death scythes, then I walked into the Rememberance place, and two of the Firebrand guys flew directly into the pawns faces and knocked two of them right off the edge before I could do anything(my pawn mauled them afterward though). Then a Dragon blew one off the edge. Hopefully the RCs help make up for it. It was just a Benny Hill skit of pawn deaths.

(And yeah, lately I've had a mini-game where I play 'let me guess how many times my pawn survived the night' when I get him back from some folks in the morning.)

If Death kills any of my pawns I just Godsbane and retry, I refuse to go through inventory processes again :colbert:

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
I actually hacen't had Death kill a single pawn yet, I always drive him off before he can even attack. Gyoru's pawn did decide to leap off a cliff for some reason or another, though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Rollie the Guar posted:

I actually hacen't had Death kill a single pawn yet, I always drive him off before he can even attack. Gyoru's pawn did decide to leap off a cliff for some reason or another, though.

Pawns seem to jump over chests with a sprinting start for some reason - and there is usually death on the other side.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamnit, my Pawn lost his Challenger secondary and now he's just a Scather. Is that acceptable for a Warrior/Fighter or do I need to start feeding him some Challenger Drugs right now?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

So I'm in the Everfall now and shits officially gotten real. I'm blowing through potions like koolaid in Jonestown. I'm going to need about a pallet of pots every time I gently caress around down there. Up until this point, I've been able to get by on the potions and ingredients I had lying around or picked up during the course of the game. Now I need to get serious about alchemy. What are the best potion recipes that I can mass produce with ingredients that are consistently available somewhere? What dope potions do you all carry around a ton of and how do you make them/farm ingredients for them?

These are the healing items that I think have the most abundant ingredients:

Wines are easy if you age all your food. Flask of water + moldy apple or grandgrapes
Matured greenwarish: potent greenwarish + cloudwine
(potent greenwarish: greenwarish + sweet pollen)
(cloudwine: large or small nut + harspud milk)
(sweet pollen: sunbright + jasper blossom)
Balmy incense (group heal): Harspud sauce + large nut
Spring water (group heal): fill empty flasks at a healing spring.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Challenger or Mitigator is probably better for a warrior, but Scather is fine.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Lunethex posted:

Pawns seem to jump over chests with a sprinting start for some reason - and there is usually death on the other side.

I had this happen to me in BBI twice so far in the top arena room where you meet barroch. There is 4 chests and a pit on the other side and they leap to doom.

Beating the second form of daimon was such a pain as he vortex sucked all 3 of my helpers and I had to kill his last 2 health bars solo. While Death killed more of my helper pawns he was a lot easier to fight then daimons second form.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

So I haven't even tried to go after Death yet, is there a strategy for Warrior besides "switch vocations"?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

ShadowMar posted:

So I haven't even tried to go after Death yet, is there a strategy for Warrior besides "switch vocations"?

Arc of Deliverance is the only thing I could think of. Also 4 periapts. Always 4 periapts.

And if it's not working out, go Ranger, get powerful bow, 4 periapts, Tenfold Flurry.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I turned my mage into a sorcerer, but didn't know they lose the healing spells upon class changing. Should I add a random mage pawn to fill her former position or have to start using potions on my own accord?

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've installed both the game and the install disc with the textures on my hard drive. But the textures still look... not awesome. How do I ensure that the game's using the high-res textures?

edit: Also, the shadows when I'm walking through wooded areas flicker A LOT. Is there anything I can do about that?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rirse posted:

So I turned my mage into a sorcerer, but didn't know they lose the healing spells upon class changing. Should I add a random mage pawn to fill her former position or have to start using potions on my own accord?

Yeah, my basic rule is one melee class, one ranged class, one mage and one sorcerer. A lot of people set their pawns up to be essentially clerics for just this reason.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 3, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So does the Blast Arrows/Tagilus/Conqueror combination work as well against Death as it does the boss guy?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think there's anything Blast Arrows DON'T work against.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

RatHat posted:

I don't think there's anything Blast Arrows DON'T work against.

Right, thanks. I guess I'll go Death hunting tomorrow then.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always

Lotish posted:

Yeah, my basic rule is one melee class, one ranged class, one mage and one sorcerer. A lot of people set their pawns up to be essentially clerics for just this reason.

The is the Pro Way to Play.

Buttermonster
Jul 11, 2003

ghost bones posted:

The is the Pro Way to Play.

A party with two sorcerers with similar spells also seems to work nicely. During a run I had one of them yell "I'll mirror your spell!" I couldn't tell if it was an enhanced spell or just them casting it at the same time. Lots of things died though.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Buttermonster posted:

A party with two sorcerers with similar spells also seems to work nicely. During a run I had one of them yell "I'll mirror your spell!" I couldn't tell if it was an enhanced spell or just them casting it at the same time. Lots of things died though.

Their spells will come out at the same time, as soon as the one who started casting first is finished charging, and it may or may not do more damage than usual. Hard to say. It also works with more than two spellcasters.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Buttermonster posted:

I think pretty much any combination of anything will work really well once the difficulty levels off (level 30 or so?). A mage, two sorcerers, and literally any other class as the fourth makes for a hilariously overpowered party against anything in vanilla except golems.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
Picked this game up today and im having a blast so far. Using a bunch of goon pawns as well! I just got to grand soren and now i am overwhelmed. I want to get some awesome daggers for my strider but im not sure where to start any advice? Can you trade with other people in this game?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I beat the game, (well, the dragon. Now on post-game stuff)

Image dump!

Run!

Bird tits

Just sent a hellhound flying. Also, check out my 3-hammer weapon :v:

Tried to get a screenshot of my crew (auto-corrected color and sharpen filter in IrfanView so hopefully you can see things)

action shot

edit: someone deleted everyones level in the spreadsheet :(

Also Pumpkinreaper, I think you broke Jivers. He refuses to use any special arrows that I give him. Would have helped a lot when fighting a griffin :)

edit2: vvvv ok then

Danith fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 3, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
^^^^ You should use the [timg] tag to not break tables :v:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aoikgg2gnmbNdGZvQW5MNDJPdEVXMHN5X3NXZHZPZVE#gid=0

Hey, PS3 goons, can I get you guys to refill the Pawn Level column. Somebody wiped the entire column.

bonzaisushi posted:

Picked this game up today and im having a blast so far. Using a bunch of goon pawns as well! I just got to grand soren and now i am overwhelmed. I want to get some awesome daggers for my strider but im not sure where to start any advice? Can you trade with other people in this game?
You can trade most equipment by equipping a pawn of the appropriate class, then send them back to their owner. I don't think you can trade equipment otherwise.
For cool daggers, you can try exploring all the unexplored territory. Chances are you'll get wrecked, but there's some sweet loot out in the frontier.

Nahxela fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 3, 2013

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Rascyc posted:

I give everyone 5 stars and spring water or a liquid vim, or some crappy quest item like giant fish or a seeker medal. But you can tell that everyone is doing DA Content because your pawn will constantly come back with 3 stars (which means they died, haha)
Thank you for the mighty fine Heaven's Key.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Danith posted:

Also Pumpkinreaper, I think you broke Jivers. He refuses to use any special arrows that I give him. Would have helped a lot when fighting a griffin :)

edit2: vvvv ok then

That's strange, all I know is that today he was showing emergent intelligence today when he realized he could jump on a wall with me and farm guards at 0 risk and at just the right distance for arrows. I fed him an elixir today to make his secondary Utilitarian so he's more prone to grapple stuff now.

matt_millar
Sep 26, 2002
Bitterblack is kicking my rear end. I think im doing something wrong. Im level 147 assassin my pawn is a level 147 sorcerer I hire out a mage and a fighter. It seems like the two magic users never do anything anymore. Bosses just rape me flat out. Im on level tow or three snd death is still like full health ive got nithing but crap for gear from purification with the exception of three items. I csnt fint anything to upgrade past dragonforged and i have dick for rift crystals.

You guys who are kicking butt down there how are you doing it. Is there anything that sticks out in my set up thats crappy?

Thanks a lot.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyone know off hand what airtight contained items are used for rarefying?

gibbed posted:

Thank you for the mighty fine Heaven's Key.
No problem! I try to do offline Ur-Dragon periodically in hopes of an Ascalon but he keeps insisting on Heaven's Keys. Online Ur-Dragon is at like 1.5 so maybe he'll die over the weekend.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Well it seems Capcom added a brand new area to the overworld!

This is actually my first time falling through the world in DD which is amazing compared to the billions of times it happens in Bethesda games and the few times it happened in Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well, as an assassin you could bring a strider bow for fighting Death and equip Fivefold Flurry to hit him multiple times. Since you're an assassin you either want to not get hit or be ready to block, so pack a sword and shield. Do you have a weapon that can do magic damage? There are some monsters that are very very resistant to physical (and at least one that becomes immune to it). Check your pawns' inclinations: If they're set to Guardian, Nexus, Pioneer or Acquisitor they probably aren't helping you the way you need them to. Try equipping some damage reduction augments, especially the physical damage ones--there's a lot of really hard hitting physical monsters in Bitterblack but only a handful of magic users, and they're closer to the bottom and you can interrupt or avoid their spells if you stay wary.

• Locked thread