Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Which part does Jack mess with under the hood of the Snowcat in The Shining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

WastedJoker posted:

Why isn't there a thread for The Great Gatsby movie?

This is for the book I know, but it might interest you anyway in case you decide to start the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543416

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

Which part does Jack mess with under the hood of the Snowcat in The Shining?

In the movie I think it's the distributor cap.

Kubrick kinda took a left turn to the book so, oh hey wait this is CD not TBB.

Distributor cap.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Thanks.

Can anybody link me to an insiders perspective/expose of "Hollywood accounting?" That stuff sounds interesting.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

Thanks.

Can anybody link me to an insiders perspective/expose of "Hollywood accounting?" That stuff sounds interesting.

I think Steven Seagal's career speaks for itself but here you go.

Truthfully I don't know much about the subject but I always thought that making unwatchable poo poo over and over again as a way to launder money for the mob was funny.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I thought Hollywood Accounting refered to the methods where you juggle the numbers so it looks like huge hit films only made a tiny net profit, to avoid having to pay out so much on royalties.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mescal posted:

Thanks.

The NPR podcast Planet Money did a rather accessible episode on Hollywood Accounting: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/05/the_friday_podcast_angelina_sh.html

If you want to go more in-depth, you can check out the book they mention: Edward Jay Epstein's The Hollywood Economist: The Hidden Financial Reality Behind the Movies.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also look into the aftermath of Forrest Gump, at the time one of the biggest grossing movies ever, but the auhtor of the book apparently never saw any residuals and that's why the sequel was never filmed.

As I recall, mind you.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Carthag posted:

Also look into the aftermath of Forrest Gump, at the time one of the biggest grossing movies ever, but the auhtor of the book apparently never saw any residuals and that's why the sequel was never filmed.

As I recall, mind you.

I haven't read it but I think he wrote a sequel that was intentionally unfilmable.

Read Better Times Than These instead as an alternate view into the way the Vietnam Police Action sucked rear end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Carthag posted:

As I recall, mind you.

Another good example is how Peter Jackson had to sue New Line to get his share of LotR money.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that they claimed that Harry Potter lost money. There is also shifting money, so Superman Returns looks like it lost money due to them placing all the failed attempts to restart Superman into the budget.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that they claimed that Harry Potter lost money. There is also shifting money, so Superman Returns looks like it lost money due to them placing all the failed attempts to restart Superman into the budget.

Yep, that's where this famous image comes from:

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
Why in Iron Man 3 why did Tony need to keep charging his armour? I thought the whole point of the second movie was him upgrading his mini arc reactor in his chest and that powered his armour. Yet later on we see him charging it with what looked like a car battery?

Robot Uprising fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 2, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Did one of the dolphins in Life Aquatic have a name? A friend swears there was a named dolphin in that movie but gently caress if I remember anything like that

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Robot Uprising posted:

Why in Iron Man 3 why did Tony need to keep charging his armour? I thought the whole point of the second movie was him upgrading his mini arc reactor in his chest and that powered his armour. Yet later on we see him charging it with what looked like a car battery?

Every Iron Man movie has changed how the arc reactor/suit thing works... IN IM3 though I thought it was just his fancy new mk42 suit where all the individual pieces could fly around that needed constant charging. It makes sense that a suit where each piece can also fly autonomously would need A LOT more power...

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Mescal posted:

Thanks.

Read any, ANY, book on accounting. It's the same thing.

People make a big fuss because it's Hollywood, and movies, and whatever, but the practices are the same as ANY OTHER BUSINESS.

It just doesn't grab as big headlines when it's "Welding Accounting"

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
What was the first comic book Superhero movie?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

QuarkJets posted:

Did one of the dolphins in Life Aquatic have a name? A friend swears there was a named dolphin in that movie but gently caress if I remember anything like that

I don't think they're given names, and a quick scan of the script backs that up.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

QuarkJets posted:

There was the sub named Jaqueline Deep Search, maybe that's what he's thinking of?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

MisterGBH posted:

What was the first comic book Superhero movie?
If serials count, it's probably the original Superman serial starring Kirk Alyn, which began in 1948. If serials don't count, then it's probably Superman and the Mole Men (1951), which was basically a theatrical pilot for the television series starring George Reeves.

Edit: Wait, no. Superman is an earlier comic book, but there was a Captain Marvel serial that came before the Superman serial, in 1941, and several other superhero serials were made by Republic in the '40s. I think Superman and the Mole Men is the first superhero feature film though.

SubG fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 3, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SubG posted:

If serials count, it's probably the original Superman serial starring Kirk Alyn, which began in 1948. If serials don't count, then it's probably Superman and the Mole Men (1951), which was basically a theatrical pilot for the television series starring George Reeves.

Nope it would be Captain Marvel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_of_Captain_Marvel

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, you posted while I was editing. There were actually a shitload of serials before Superman and the Mole Men, but I can't think of any other feature films before then.

Edit: There's also Mysterious Doctor Satan (1940), a serial that was originally planned as a Superman serial but rewritten when DC changed their mind. Its hero is The Copperhead, a new masked hero that didn't actually appear in any comics. So I don't know if that counts.

For whatever it's worth, it is the first appearance of the Republic Robot, a parody of which shows up in Star Trek: Voyager, although I assume its inclusion there was a result of the same robot also being featured in the Zombies of the Stratosphere, which featured a very young Leonard Nimoy.

Edit: Nope. The show calls it `Satan's Robot'.

SubG fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 3, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is Powaqqatsi any good?

I started watching Naqoyqatsi on Netflix and had to stop because it was so retarded.

I really want Koyaanisqatsi but Criterion seems to only be offering it as a trilogy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

NeuroticErotica posted:

People make a big fuss because it's Hollywood, and movies, and whatever, but the practices are the same as ANY OTHER BUSINESS.

I wonder why it's always such a big deal that Hollywood companies are sleazebags compared to how recently that it's become A Mainstream Thing that like Wall Street companies are also fuckers cum laude. I mean I guess the recent depr-/recession had some play in it, but it's not like any of this is news in the mainstream narrative either.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd say the narrative was planted by anti-unionists, since Hollywood is (to my knowledge) one of the bastions of unionism (the latter is a good thing aside from the union requirement for work; the benefits should follow the employers who made agreements with unions, and unions should refuse work with employers that don't: This way all workers get benefits, and the union still has the power to negotiate).

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 4, 2013

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Steve Yun posted:

Is Powaqqatsi any good?

I started watching Naqoyqatsi on Netflix and had to stop because it was so retarded.

I really want Koyaanisqatsi but Criterion seems to only be offering it as a trilogy.

It's a bit unclear if you've seen Koyaanisqatsi, but it's definitely worth watching.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I have it on VHS and got an itching to see it in HD after this was posted in GWS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9UWjr-rrc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, I have it on VHS and got an itching to see it in HD after this was posted in GWS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9UWjr-rrc

That soundtrack is inspired. I cannot watch the full thing, but well done!

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader

NeuroticErotica posted:

part of it is different from accounting, like the term "gross" might mean "gross, after paying principles & shares to participants & the studio's %age"-- but that's all a contract thing, not really a reporting issue.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Just watched A Shot in the Dark for the first time. Goddamn, that was fun.

EDIT: *sigh* sorry, I thought I clicked on General Chat. I've made that mistake several times in the past few days, but this was my first mistake post doing that.

Cinnamon Bastard fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 4, 2013

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Is Powaqqatsi any good?

Powaqqatsi is more closely related to Koyaanisqatsi and more comprehensible than Naqoyqatsi at least. I'm a fan of only the first film however. The second one was lesser in most respects (the score, themes etc.)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NeuroticErotica posted:

I don't agree with this. Film (and music and TV) have far more third-party participants than most other industries. A car company buys parts for a price, assembles them (incurring further costs) and then sells the product, hopefully for a profit. It pays for goods and services. Entertainment contracts have a much more frequent use of contingent compensation, which is where the jiggery-pokery comes in.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Also we are blitzed with advertising for these larger-than-life film offerings which continue to break box office records, but hear next that the film was a commercial "failure."

I think it's known as Hollywood Accounting not just for what the poster above me added, but also that the movie industry/Hollywood has been so overtly prominent in the practice for a good while, in the public perception.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

FreshFeesh posted:

Also we are blitzed with advertising for these larger-than-life film offerings which continue to break box office records, but hear next that the film was a commercial "failure."

I think it's known as Hollywood Accounting not just for what the poster above me added, but also that the movie industry/Hollywood has been so overtly prominent in the practice for a good while, in the public perception.

Video games are indulged in similar shady practices at the moment.

Take the curious case of Square. Square Japan writes off the losses they've been making by predicting that 'Tomb Raider' and 'Hitman' will essentially be the best selling games of all time. This of course doesn't happen, so the failure of Square Japan (And Final Fantasy et al) is then shifted over to two over games that were actually very successful. They basically put out a release lamenting the 'disappointing' sales. For the record, in its first month TR sold over 3 million copies, but Square had forecast that it would sell close to 7. Historically the most Hitman has ever really sold is about 2.4 million copies, yet Square for some reason decided they'd be able to more than double that.

Spydey
Apr 26, 2004
tingling feeling in my arachnads
What's a (the?) movie where the villan has some kind of purple virus spreading through his body and he needs to kill (or do something similarily villainous) to get the serum to cure/prevent the virus from spreading further?

Sorry, I know that's a vague description but can someone help me out here?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Spydey posted:

What's a (the?) movie where the villan has some kind of purple virus spreading through his body and he needs to kill (or do something similarily villainous) to get the serum to cure/prevent the virus from spreading further?

Sorry, I know that's a vague description but can someone help me out here?

Wrong thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

Spydey
Apr 26, 2004
tingling feeling in my arachnads

Thanks

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'll preface this by saying that I do not have a term paper coming up. This is just for my own curiosity.

What's a good book, or books, about the history and background of film in the 1970s? I'm interested in learning about it due to a conversation I had in another forum.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls is sort of sensationalistic (everyone went around doing drugs and sleeping with pre-teens, apparently) and it was written in the 90s so the author is really dismissive of a bunch of really good films but it's a pretty absorbing history of the New Hollywood era nonetheless.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Wanderer posted:

I'll preface this by saying that I do not have a term paper coming up. This is just for my own curiosity.

What's a good book, or books, about the history and background of film in the 1970s? I'm interested in learning about it due to a conversation I had in another forum.

These are probably more entertaining than educational, but Easy Riders, Raging Bulls and The Kid Stays In The Picture are good reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls is sort of sensationalistic (everyone went around doing drugs and sleeping with pre-teens, apparently) and it was written in the 90s so the author is really dismissive of a bunch of really good films but it's a pretty absorbing history of the New Hollywood era nonetheless.

I remember loving the book at the time but yeah a whole lot of it needs taking with a pinch of salt. He insists that Spielberg got the Mothership idea for Close Encounters while being stoned and doing headstands on the hood of his car. Spielberg countered that anyone who knows him knows that he can't drink a glass of wine without getting drunk, so why would he try smoking weed?

It's also incredibly dismissive of a lot of good work that people did. Yet despite all that it's still a fun read, you just need to try and parse all the bullshit. I've never read his one about the Miramax era but I'm assuming that's similarly sensationalistic.

Also, while 'The Kid Stays in the Picture' is great. The audiobook, read by Evans, is loving astounding.