Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.
Well, I went from having minimal interest to not being able to wait to see White House Down now. I've always thought a film with a president as an action hero would be gloriously dumb, and I'm happy that it's finally happening (unless it already has and I've missed it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Air Force One with President Harrison Ford.

How are you forgetting "GET OFF MY PLANE!"?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

degauss posted:

Well, I went from having minimal interest to not being able to wait to see White House Down now. I've always thought a film with a president as an action hero would be gloriously dumb, and I'm happy that it's finally happening (unless it already has and I've missed it).

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.
Jesus, you guys are so right. It's been years since I've seen it, but still, how could I forget? I... I think I should leave.

:smith:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I liked 2012. :colbert:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
My God that trailer. Obama vs the terrorists. My God.

I have to see this film.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Ender's Game stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OHtH_RWnZE

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

degauss posted:

Jesus, you guys are so right. It's been years since I've seen it, but still, how could I forget? I... I think I should leave.

:smith:

It's a tale as old as time.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

I don't think Harrison Ford could look less interested if he tried.

The way he says "google and youtube" is like he's saying "just kill me"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Asiina posted:

I don't think Harrison Ford could look less interested if he tried.

The way he says "google and youtube" is like he's saying "just kill me"

42 showed that Harrison Ford still has the chops, but holy gently caress it's so painfully obvious when he doesn't give a poo poo.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Full Ender's Game trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE

Guess I wasn't really sure what to expect- I always imagined the scenery in that book being much more claustrophobic and 2001-esque. Asa Butterfield and Hailee Stanfield seem like great choices, I really hope this is more memorable than it looks.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Jewmanji posted:

Full Ender's Game trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE

Guess I wasn't really sure what to expect- I always imagined the scenery in that book being much more claustrophobic and 2001-esque. Asa Butterfield and Hailee Stanfield seem like great choices, I really hope this is more memorable than it looks.

I'm gonna echo the sentiment of hoping it's more memorable than it looks. I remember liking the book a lot as a kid, but that trailer just wasn't that exciting.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looks completely lifeless, I'm not getting any heart or soul from it so far.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm of course going to go see it, but first look trailer does not convince me that it'll be good. Call me a luddite, but flashy action sequences, screaming, and CGI does not suggest that this is the in depth character study that the book was. Without that, Ender's Game is just some more sci-fi.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weird thing about that Ender's Game trailer is that it doesn't really look like its using the central premise of the book, ie that the whole thing is presented as a training exercise and not actually war.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The top rated comment is someone complaining that they cast one character as "a chick. a black chick." loving YouTube.

The production design for the film just looks like a video game to me. As others said, it doesn't have any sort of an oppressive feel, and I always imagined the visual execution as being more "grounded." Not necessarily 2001, but that sense of plausibility in the aesthetic. I think that's what's killing me the most.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Deakul posted:

Looks completely lifeless, I'm not getting any heart or soul from it so far.

so it'll be just like the books then

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The main thing is that I always imagined the battleroom to be white walls with dark grey stars floating around. I'll probably see it because I love the book and reread it multiple times when I was young, but it's just not matching up to what I saw in my mind when I read it. However, what I saw in my mind would not match up well to a movie at all so maybe that's a good thing.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

The top rated comment is someone complaining that they cast one character as "a chick. a black chick." loving YouTube.

The production design for the film just looks like a video game to me. As others said, it doesn't have any sort of an oppressive feel, and I always imagined the visual execution as being more "grounded." Not necessarily 2001, but that sense of plausibility in the aesthetic. I think that's what's killing me the most.

It definitely seems positioned to compete against The Hunger Games, which may or may not be a good thing. It's ever-increasing popularity is almost its worst asset at this point- it would've been amazing if a more auteur but still big-production director could've made it their own vision, like Paul Verhoeven, without needing to recoup an insane budget.

The battle room isn't at all what I had pictured in my mind, which is why I think I'm having trouble connecting to this. I certainly don't care to nitpick, and if they've managed to adapt the text and breathe new life into it in an interesting way, I'm all for it, but it didn't make the hairs on my hand stand up the way some classic adaptations did when we first saw them. If they aren't going to let themselves be constrained by the text, I really really hope they'll bring something fun and original to it. I'm just relieved that they found someone to play Ender who seems up to the task... what if it really had been Jake Lloyd? Speaker for the Dead would look like Billy Corgan:

Democratic Pirate posted:

The main thing is that I always imagined the battleroom to be white walls with dark grey stars floating around.

This exactly. A stark white cube.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I imagined the battle room and the simulation thingy they play as completely different and way less detailed than they have in that trailer. Wouldn't make for an exciting movie with a kid in a small room playing video Risk with a headset on, but that's how I imagined it way back when.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Why would you make a space battle simulation room bright white instead of black? I'm not saying I agree with the "glowy poo poo everywhere" aesthetic we glimpse in the trailer, but a big dark room makes sense to me.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ManifunkDestiny posted:

so it'll be just like the books then

Leave my childhood alone!
He never did anything to you! :(

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I swear to god, I could practically hear Harrison Ford rolling his eyes during the narration.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Why would you make a space battle simulation room bright white instead of black? I'm not saying I agree with the "glowy poo poo everywhere" aesthetic we glimpse in the trailer, but a big dark room makes sense to me.

It's been too long since I read the book to recall what the actual description of the battle room was, but I imagined something pretty similar; Spartan, white, and windowless, somewhat resembling a gymnasium. Many of the people I've talked to have mentioned something more or less the same. At any rate, the open, windowed battle-room just feels wrong on a visceral level, like they were worried people would start dozing off if there weren't a thousand manhours worth of glowy blinky sci-fi poo poo on screen at all times. The design aesthetics are so uninspired that, without context, it would probably be impossible to distinguish from every other big budget sci-fi movie that's come out this year. At certain points in the trailer I would honestly have believed you if you told me it was a promotion for Mass Effect 4.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 8, 2013

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I swear to god, I could practically hear Harrison Ford rolling his eyes during the narration.

Yep, I had a Blade Runner flashback too.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

The weird thing about that Ender's Game trailer is that it doesn't really look like its using the central premise of the book, ie that the whole thing is presented as a training exercise and not actually war.

As far as this is concerned, if you want to read Card's explanation, "The first decision I made was not to pursue the Peter/Valentine subplot with the Internet, because that's just watching people type things into the computer. The second decision I made was to give that information about the surprise at the end from the start. In my script we know who Mazer Rackham really is and we know what is at stake as Ender plays his games. But Ender doesn't know, so I think the suspense is actually increased because the audience knows we're about the business of saving the world and that everything depends on this child not understanding that. We care all the more about whether he wins – and we worry that he might not want to. As we watch the adults struggle to get control of Ender, we pity him because of what's happening to him, but we want the adults to succeed. I think it makes for a much more complex and fascinating film than it would have been if I had tried to keep secrets.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

As far as this is concerned, if you want to read Card's explanation, "The first decision I made was not to pursue the Peter/Valentine subplot with the Internet, because that's just watching people type things into the computer. The second decision I made was to give that information about the surprise at the end from the start. In my script we know who Mazer Rackham really is and we know what is at stake as Ender plays his games. But Ender doesn't know, so I think the suspense is actually increased because the audience knows we're about the business of saving the world and that everything depends on this child not understanding that. We care all the more about whether he wins – and we worry that he might not want to. As we watch the adults struggle to get control of Ender, we pity him because of what's happening to him, but we want the adults to succeed. I think it makes for a much more complex and fascinating film than it would have been if I had tried to keep secrets.

Not sure why really...even after reading that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

That wasn't the sound of his eyes rolling, it was the sound of his eyelids fluttering asleep.

I could say something like "He hasn't given a poo poo since The Fugitive and we all know it," but that would be implying that he's ever been a good actor. It's not that he doesn't care about his roles or is phoning it in, it's that his range is so ludicrously limited that he's incapable of doing any convincing acting since he was in his 30s. He's played charming variations of himself well a few times with Han Solo and Indiana Jones (the first three, at least), but I can't really recall seeing him act since The Conversation. He's been enjoyable in a few films, but it certainly hasn't been his acting that's accomplished that, it's been him just being himself in front of a camera. I feel like he's an active detriment to any movie he's in today, and when I started watching that Ender's Game trailer I felt bad for everyone involved, since, regardless of the film's quality, they could have at least improved it a modicum by casting anybody else.

He was garbage in Blade Runner and we all know it. It's probably my favorite film of all time, but I really wish anyone else was in that role but him. People say "Oh, Dustin Hoffman wouldn't have played it as world weary as Ford did!" But with Ridley's direction at the time, he certainly would have been better than Ford.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 8, 2013

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Did you see 42? He was good.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

"Range" is far from the only hallmark of a good actor, and it's actually way less important than most people think. Crafting a magnetic and likable persona is just as challenging.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

penismightier posted:

"Range" is far from the only hallmark of a good actor, and it's actually way less important than most people think. Crafting a magnetic and likable persona is just as challenging.

I don't disagree at all. But Hollywood seems to, in that they tend to cast him in roles that require more than being a likable persona. Like I said, he's been great in a few roles, however he's been miscast in most of them because they're expecting him to perform outside of his range.

And no, I didn't see 42 but based on the trailer he seemed to be doing a pretty bad accent.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

"Hey! Hey Guys! Do you like Acadmey Award Nominated Actors?! Do you?! Cause we got em' Just stackin' em up. Hey, where are you guys going?"

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
The Worlds End trailer just dropped.
http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/exclusive-the-world-s-end-trailer/2t5faj5e

And it looks like fun. Sadly I don't have a YT link yet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5isRRE1nGT0

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The uploader has not made this video available.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well, poo poo. Luckily I saved it. Re-uploading now.

EDIT: Welp, Youtube says it's blocked worldwide. Sorry.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 8, 2013

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

tehsid posted:

The Worlds End trailer just dropped.
http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/exclusive-the-world-s-end-trailer/2t5faj5e

And it looks like fun. Sadly I don't have a YT link yet.

Saw it last week at a Shaun of the Dead screening. Fence gag! Blink and you'll miss Brian from Spaced

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do like the switch up of the Pegg/Frost dynamic it looks like that has.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
The Ender's Game trailer looks 100% Generic Hollywood Sci-Fi Blockbuster. Really disappointing. I can only hope the trailer is misleading.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

penismightier posted:

I totally agree, and I hate arguing about it because it's really hard to persuade people these days that a great actor can take a form other than that of the chameleon who can disappear into any role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ShardPhoenix posted:

The Ender's Game trailer looks 100% Generic Hollywood Sci-Fi Blockbuster. Really disappointing. I can only hope the trailer is misleading.

Gotta love how they showed the Molecular Disruption Device of the Final Exam when he shouts "now!" in the trailer, effectively spoiling it for anyone who has read the book.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 8, 2013

• Locked thread