Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

JAMOOOL posted:

Hearing "Magdalena" (not even his first song about statutory rape by the way), got a little less "ironic" and more "disgusting" when you factor in the fact that one of Zappa's former bandmates is a registered sex offender, and another is currently serving 25 years for child molestation.

...which bandmates would these be? This is news to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
My first Zappa album was Uncle Meat.

I was hooked by "Sleeping in a Jar," It was the weirdest thing my teenage ears ever heard until that point. Zappa is awesome.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Roy Estrada's in the clink. I dunno who the other one is.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
...oh. I had no idea. First convicted in 1977, and he would've been working with Zappa around that time and afterward. That's... something.

Did Zappa ever comment on this? Maybe he was convinced he was innocent or something. He cut ties with Wild Man Fisher over less. Or I could also see Zappa ultimately not caring because Roy didn't wrong him personally, and he did seem to regard his musicians as instruments first and people second.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 10, 2013

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've read all of the Real Frank Zappa book more than once, and I'm pretty sure he never made mention of it there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
"My First Zappa" was a rykodisc 2-lp-on-1-cd Apostrophe/Over-nite Sensation, that in my opinion, is about the best way to get into Zappa on a single disc.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Speaking of Adrian Belew, I always knew he was a major collaborator with Talking Heads, but I just listened to "I Zimbra" and "Thela Hun Ginjeet" back to back and :monocle:

I never realized how much of a huge influence David Byrne was on the sound of '80s Crimson.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Sears Poncho posted:

I don't know, I kind of like some of the songs on '...And Then There Were Three...'

Ok, I kind of like one song on '...And Then There Were Three...' (Deep in the Motherlode)

The whole album still has a pretty proggy sound to it, even if there is an obvious shift in song structure.

Yes, my point was they were still prog on ATTWT but they were moving into the neo prog direction by that point.

quote:

Also I don't really think can include King Crimson in that 80's pop prog thing, there is definitly an '80's King Crimson' sound, but we aren't exactly talking about 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' here.

Songs like Frame By Frame, Three of a Perfect Pair, and especially Heartbeat come very close. 80s Crim is very 80s pop / new wave influenced. It's still prog rock, but not the kind we saw in the 70s. This is neo prog. Adrian Belew brought a lot of his Talking Heads influence to the band and Fripp and Levin were also fresh off of recording albums for Peter Gabriel who was also adopting the neo prog 80s pop / new wave sound. To top it off Bruford had toured with Genesis after Phil Collins took over on lead vocals so I'm sure he brought some neo prog influence as well, especially after seeing how successful the band became with Phil on lead vocals.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 11, 2013

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

LordPants posted:

I listened to Moving Pictures and I decided I don't really like Rush very much. So I go "well, I guess I should listen to some of their 'bad' material to be sure."

Turns out I really like Caress of Steel. Very strange.

In other news I was listening to Opeth's Deliverance on spotify and realized that I bought it new in a record store after hearing it on the radio. :corsair:

I didn't even know Caress of Steel was considered one of their "bad ones" it's a favorite of mine personally, though not as good as 2112, A Farewell to Kings or Hemispheres. Rush is another band (like Genesis) who didn't really hit it big until they went neo prog in the 80s. Their pre-Permanent Waves stuff is pretty much old school prog (with a heavy metal tinge), but with Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures they made their songs more radio friendly and adopted a bit of a new wave influence and had much more success. But Rush didn't alienate as many of their older fans because their change wasn't as drastic (as Yes and Genesis) since they were always a little more accessible than their British peers, and they were late comers to prog. They also maintained their metal influence throughout their career so they managed to hold onto most of their their old fans throughout 80s and 90s and are still pulling in huge crowds at their shows to this day.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 11, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
The Beyond The Lighted Stage documentary is a really good watch if you're a Rush fan. They mention that Caress of Steel just about broke the band up. They wrote 2112 as a swan song because the label hated what they were doing and they were convinced they'd be dropped.

It has cool old footage and a big segment on the keyboard usage and stuff that became dominant in the 80s records (and alienated a lot of their old fans).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Speaking of Adrian Belew, I always knew he was a major collaborator with Talking Heads, but I just listened to "I Zimbra" and "Thela Hun Ginjeet" back to back and :monocle:

I never realized how much of a huge influence David Byrne was on the sound of '80s Crimson.

Robert Fripp played on I Zimbra and several others on Fear of Music, presumably thanks to his New York City residence and connections with Brian Eno, who produced the album. Belew did not, as far as I've ever been aware, join Talking Heads until the sessions for Remain in Light, one year later.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Robert Fripp played on I Zimbra and several others on Fear of Music, presumably thanks to his New York City residence and connections with Brian Eno, who produced the album. Belew did not, as far as I've ever been aware, join Talking Heads until the sessions for Remain in Light, one year later.
He wasn't credited until then, but absolutely was working with them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Belew#Talking_Heads.2C_GaGa_and_The_Tom_Tom_Club_.281979-1982.29

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

On stage for occasional guitar freakouts, yeah. My point is that Fripp presumably got the core of the rhythmic concept from his time in the studio with the group, cutting FOM, which he then took to The League of Gentlemen and then on to Discipline/KC-80s.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

I've always meant to check out Man From Utopia due to Steve Vai being on it, but I guess I can pass. Besides, Vai's real gem is "Flex-Able." The songs are too short to be prog, but I love the whole "weirdo in his budget basement studio" vibe from that album.

Speaking of Utopia, is anyone into Todd Rundgren's Utopia? I've never really gotten into them, although I love Rundgren's solo work.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

As far as I could find on the internet, it's just Roy Estrada. The only other Zappa band member I could find serving time was Jim Gordon, who killed his mother in 1983 after developing schizophrenia...

And Utopia is pretty good. My favorite record of theirs is the live one, "Another Live". Definitely check that one out.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
It's not progressive rock at all, but I enjoyed Utopia's Beatles homage "Deface the Music." I would've liked it more if the production had been more like the original Beatles songs, though- it was clearly recorded in the early 80's.

I also liked their self-titled and "Ra".

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
Thanks for the recommendations. Gonna give those albums a listen.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Clockwork Angels has been on a pretty heavy rotation in the car now that it's warming up (it feels like nice summer driving music). What's some more prog similar to this? (besides Rush's discography. And as much as I also enjoy mellotron heavy prog, that's not what I'm looking for here)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22210378

BBC posted:

Storm Thorgerson, whose album cover artwork includes Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, has died aged 69, the band's management has confirmed.

:(

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's one of the two old ages I'd want to die at.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You'll never live to 420, quit dreaming.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Clockwork Angels has been on a pretty heavy rotation in the car now that it's warming up (it feels like nice summer driving music). What's some more prog similar to this? (besides Rush's discography. And as much as I also enjoy mellotron heavy prog, that's not what I'm looking for here)

This might be a weird suggestion, but if you like the heavier stuff on CA, try listening to Clutch.

If you like the ballads, you have pretty lousy taste in music. Not their best work.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

BigFactory posted:

This might be a weird suggestion, but if you like the heavier stuff on CA, try listening to Clutch.

If you like the ballads, you have pretty lousy taste in music. Not their best work.

Actually I've largely ignored the new Clutch despite all the love it's been getting in the stoner thread and everywhere else. I guess it's time to check it out.

I usually skip the ballads. I just find that CA is a nice album to put on when driving around with other people in the car who aren't into all the more proggy / experimental / whatever music I usually listen to when I'm listening alone. I guess I could call it "light prog" or even "entry level prog". I don't know.

And then they ask who it is and when I tell them it's Rush they're all like "oh cool put on freewill"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Actually I've largely ignored the new Clutch despite all the love it's been getting in the stoner thread and everywhere else. I guess it's time to check it out.

I usually skip the ballads. I just find that CA is a nice album to put on when driving around with other people in the car who aren't into all the more proggy / experimental / whatever music I usually listen to when I'm listening alone. I guess I could call it "light prog" or even "entry level prog". I don't know.

And then they ask who it is and when I tell them it's Rush they're all like "oh cool put on freewill"

I find that I'm embarrassed to put on a steampunk concept album in mixed company. New Clutch is pretty good though. Definitely a little mutual admiration society going on with the two bands IMO.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Modern Rush sounds like Tiles to me, which is probably backwards, but I think Tiles nailed the sound that Rush was moving towards after Counterparts. Alex actually plays some guitar parts on this track from a few years back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBcvYIzCflg

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheForgotton posted:

Modern Rush sounds like Tiles to me, which is probably backwards, but I think Tiles nailed the sound that Rush was moving towards after Counterparts. Alex actually plays some guitar parts on this track from a few years back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBcvYIzCflg

Wow, didn't know Terry Brown was still producing records!

This band seems to like terrible puns and plays on words.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

BigFactory posted:

Wow, didn't know Terry Brown was still producing records!

This band seems to like terrible puns and plays on words.
Indeed! Cover art and occasional keyboards by Hugh Syme as well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheForgotton posted:

Indeed! Cover art and occasional keyboards by Hugh Syme as well.

These guys must have gotten the crap beaten out of them in high school. I'm seeing the mullets and bad moustaches now. Bunch of Nugent fans shoving the A/V nerds in their lockers.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Prog Doctor posted:

And Utopia is pretty good. My favorite record of theirs is the live one, "Another Live". Definitely check that one out.

Just wanted to thank you for the recommendation. I listened to that one, along with their eponymous debut album, and Ra, and I can't get enough of Another Live!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I think Todd in general (especially his nutso run of 70's albums from The Ballad of Todd Rundgren to the first Utopia album) is a good suggestion.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Porcupine Tree fans, the new reprint of Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is up for pre-order at the Headphone Dust mail order site. Some of the music on this release is so good :allears:

Snakedance
Feb 15, 2007

The life of a repo man is ALWAYS intense.

JAMOOOL posted:

I think Todd in general (especially his nutso run of 70's albums from The Ballad of Todd Rundgren to the first Utopia album) is a good suggestion.

Todd Rundgren is a genius. A genuine, authentic, mind boggling genius. His records are fantastic, but check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFql0eoIuZQ

Todd predicts the internet.
Todd predicts streaming media.
Todd predicts the mp3.
Todd predicts MTV.
Todd predicts the digital economy.

Honestly, it's a fascinating interview. Watching him describe the future is fascinating - and that this was 1978 had me :wtc:

If you're in Melbourne, Australia - Todd is playing at the Ferntree Gully Hotel in July. I've got my tickets. Seeing the Runt playing a redneck bar at the bottom of a mountain is going to be an unforgettable experience, I'm sure.

Snakedance fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 7, 2013

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I was just recently introduced to Riverside. Goddamn, how did I go so long before finding them? Out of Myself, Rapid Eye Movement and Second Life Syndrome are amazing, there isn't a single skippable track.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Chocobo posted:

I was just recently introduced to Riverside. Goddamn, how did I go so long before finding them? Out of Myself, Rapid Eye Movement and Second Life Syndrome are amazing, there isn't a single skippable track.
Listen to the folding chair snare drum sound in the second half of "In Two Minds" and you will never un-hear it

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I can't remember if it was in the metal thread, or in here that someone brought up Leprous when their last album Bilateral came out. It's probably better suited for this thread, since it's more prog, and less metal, even though it's pretty loving metal at some points.

They have a new album out called Coal, and it is so goddamn good. It's seriously impressive how much they've grown in just two years. The new album is different from Bilateral, but no less amazing. If you were into that one at all, the new one is very rewarding. It's got some tinges of The Mars Volta and Devin Townsend. Check this poo poo out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowKEvDSq1c

Side note, david puddy sent me his spare copy of The Raven That Refused to Sing BluRay, along with Storm Corrosion. This weekend I'm going to have a crazy awesome 5.1 surround prog fest. :D

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 22, 2013

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

david puddy posted:

Porcupine Tree fans, the new reprint of Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is up for pre-order at the Headphone Dust mail order site. Some of the music on this release is so good :allears:

Is this the only place it will be available from?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I can't remember if it was in the metal thread, or in here that someone brought up Leprous when their last album Bilateral came out. It's probably better suited for this thread, since it's more prog, and less metal, even though it's pretty loving metal at some points.

They have a new album out called Coal, and it is so goddamn good. It's seriously impressive how much they've grown in just two years. The new album is different from Bilateral, but no less amazing. If you were into that one at all, the new one is very rewarding. It's got some tinges of The Mars Volta and Devin Townsend. Check this poo poo out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowKEvDSq1c

Side note, david puddy sent me his spare copy of The Raven That Refused to Sing BluRay, along with Storm Corrosion. This weekend I'm going to have a crazy awesome 5.1 surround prog fest. :D

This video isn't there anymore, so I'm just gonna listen to this one and hope it's good.

edit: ok that got pretty great at about 2:45. His clean vocals are a little weird to me, maybe it was just that song though

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 23, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

david puddy posted:

edit: ok that got pretty great at about 2:45. His clean vocals are a little weird to me, maybe it was just that song though

His vocals are probably the hardest thing to get into. I was a little put off by it at first when I heard Bilateral, but after a while he became one of my favorite vocalists. He's definitely gone in a bit more of a Devin Townsend operatic direction on the new album. I'd say if you liked that track at all, track down the album and give it a spin. It's pretty solid all the way through.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Right now I'm listening to" Felona e Sorona" by Le Orme. You know you've really gone down the rabbit hole when you start listening to obscure European prog from four decades ago :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I saw them live at NEARfest 2005—they were really good, though they were out-Italprogged by PFM a couple nights prior.

Felona e Sorona is one of those albums I can't really find fault with but never felt truly passionate about either. I remember liking Contrappunti better, but I couldn't tell you why as I haven't listened to it in a long time.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 23, 2013