Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I'm not sure who you think it is.

Yeah I won't press you on it because its the wrong thread and you don't have pms but I can think of only two people/bodies that could possibly be trump cards for Dr. Snakes over Madara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
If you want spoilers, go read the manga. This ain't the place for that poo poo.

edit: I sort of want to know who you think it is...

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

Stoph posted:

edit: I sort of want to know who you think it is...

I'm thinking it's the bad guy's real body. Not sure though.

Would the reveal be coming up anytime soon, like >5 episodes? Snake guy seems to be implying the reveal soon. If it isn't I can just wait for the show to build up and marathon again.

ArcaneTree fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 2, 2013

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ok rehashing fights that have already taken place is so incredibly lazy it offends me.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Koirhor posted:

Ok rehashing fights that have already taken place is so incredibly lazy it offends me.
This is filler, right? It's so hard to tell now because even the canon parts of the ninja war are godawful as well.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah this is just filler and for whatever reason they are dragging it out too.

Jack Ratigan
Jan 26, 2005

...Ok
... I miss the hole :(

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Man that little filler arc has just the worst ending. Naruto drops in, everyone dies in the smoke. And it doesn't look like we are out of filler territory yet either.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

I liked it, we have seen Naruto become mega powerful so he easily vapourised powerful but not world-destroying enemies. It makes a nice change from being conveniently only just as powerful as the opponent of the day.

And yes I watched next episodes pre-shippuuden preview with horror.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Ireland Sucks posted:

I liked it, we have seen Naruto become mega powerful so he easily vapourised powerful but not world-destroying enemies. It makes a nice change from being conveniently only just as powerful as the opponent of the day.

And yes I watched next episodes pre-shippuuden preview with horror.

It was a nice call back to my favorite arc, but then I wish it never happened at all.

Goddamn that whole arc was amazing.

I should rewatch it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
well we got a new OP today, so in theory we should be back to canon material soon.

EDIT: But not next week :negative:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kingtheninja posted:

well we got a new OP today, so in theory we should be back to canon material soon.

EDIT: But not next week :negative:
Actually the new OP was last week and I was super pumped to be back for canon when Kabuto said "I've gathered enough bodies, now it's time to begin!" or whatever and thennnnnn promptly dropped us into filler material for no reason.

Isn't the manga really far ahead now? Why are we still spinning our wheels in made-up stories that don't advance the plot?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Probably because there's no an easy filler break point later on.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Man with all this filler it's hard to muster any fucks for the war. Anyone know about what Manga chapter they're on for this part of the story? I think I'm tapping out finally.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Zyla posted:

Man with all this filler it's hard to muster any fucks for the war. Anyone know about what Manga chapter they're on for this part of the story? I think I'm tapping out finally.

I don't follow the anime, but if Crunchyroll descriptions are anything to go by, it should be around chapter 556.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah 556 is where the anime left off, and this week chapter 627 came out. So about 70 chapters of space to cover.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
Oh yay, I let this show build up some episodes and find that it's been building up filler. First time I've actually been looking forward to new episodes too.

That new opening was pretty good though, curious to see long-hair, red-armor, Saskue guy. What was with the animals in the background of the characters, was that a manga thing?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Geez, I think this week was the first time I've ever seen filler FOR a filler. It was a lame hot-springs filler episode that apparently serves as a meaningless prequel to their own filler movie, Road to Ninja.

JUST MOVE ON, GUYS, COME ON ALREADY.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JazzFlight posted:

Geez, I think this week was the first time I've ever seen filler FOR a filler. It was a lame hot-springs filler episode that apparently serves as a meaningless prequel to their own filler movie, Road to Ninja.

Seriously? Man it's really bad then, back when the movie was released they had a tie-in episode and now a prequel? drat

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
IIRC it's based on a special tie-in manga chapter. So technically it is not filler. TECHNICALLY.

In other news, from what I hear the fillers have been officially extended until the end of June at least.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
And the dub has recently entered that huge wedge of filler from after the Pain arc; there's no escaping it no matter where you go! :suicide:

We can't even console ourselves with the Rock Lee spinoff, since that ended a while back :smith:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

JazzFlight posted:

The weeks before that they created a filler character to be killed off in the current arc so they could do a flashback filler arc about who that character is. :unsmigghh:

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
Hmm, how long do fillers usually last with this show?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Last couple times they've entered an actual stretch of filler they've lasted a few months.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
I looked up the schedule on wikipedia:

312 "The Old Master and the Dragon's Eye"

313 "Rain Followed by Snow, with Some Lightning"

314 "Sorrowful Sun Showers"

315 "Lingering Snow"

316 "Reanimation Allied Forces!!"

Ep 316 might not be filler, I think?

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Obviously it concerns the formidable Tea-Country-Hancho-Village alliance.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So I saw the movie but does anyone else think that they must have originally written to have an entirely different plot? The existence of Evil!Naruto is great thematically with the Gaara stuff way earlier in the series but seems a little paradoxical. Everyone seemed to act Naruto/Menma was always with the village and largely the same, but if there was an evil Naruto who had the Kyuubi and was from the leaf, than the Leaf'ers should've reacted to Naruto the way Naruto would've reacted to Sasuke just strolling around. It seems like they had the idea of the final show down of Naruto vs Menma but had some idea of how to get there but couldn't figure it out in the end and just hand waved it?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I saw the movie but does anyone else think that they must have originally written to have an entirely different plot? The existence of Evil!Naruto is great thematically with the Gaara stuff way earlier in the series but seems a little paradoxical. Everyone seemed to act Naruto/Menma was always with the village and largely the same, but if there was an evil Naruto who had the Kyuubi and was from the leaf, than the Leaf'ers should've reacted to Naruto the way Naruto would've reacted to Sasuke just strolling around. It seems like they had the idea of the final show down of Naruto vs Menma but had some idea of how to get there but couldn't figure it out in the end and just hand waved it?

I believe that the 'continuity mistakes' there, were Obito loving around with his magic eyes

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I get that its an alternate timelime because of eye hax, I'm just observing that within the internal logic of the alternate timeline there's aspects don't make make sense; unless it was never supposed to make sense?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 12, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Raenir Salazar posted:

I get that its an alternate timelime because of eye hax, I'm just observing that within the internal logic of the alternate timeline there's aspects don't make make sense; unless it was never supposed to make sense?

Well, Obito did mention that the illusion wasn't perfect and nobody really had any sort of control over it. It just took the base ideas and notions from the target and then it become its own thing.

Regarding Menma, I think that it was only until Obito started loving around by sending Naruto and Sakura there that the evil Menma come to existance. After all, once he was freed from Obito's influence his hair turned blonde just like Naruto's

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

once he was freed from Obito's influence his hair turned blonde just like Naruto's

Wait, where have I seen that before?..

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was just getting caught up again with the show, and finally turned it off when Naruto was eating some ramen in a flashback contest thing. I said to myself "why am I watching this still" and turned it off. Then I saw it was all filler the rest of the way, and this war is the most boring story arch in the world right now.

I think at this point, I've been watching this since my roommate in college got me into it back around the Ninja tournament about a decade ago, and I just can't care about this show anymore. I can't stand the filler anymore and this consequence free war. If I have to see another backstory hammering in exactly why it is so hard to kill your former lover/friend/teacher I might go into physical pain.

I think at this point I'm going to watch that movie when I can, and then be done with it all. Too much stuff I am watching because of habit rather than enjoyment.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'm not sure how much of it is outgrowing Naruto or that poo poo that goes on endlessly is boring as gently caress.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Blame the filler. That's where the problem starts and ends IMO. You can only get so much enjoyment out of a story that is going nowhere by definition.

I'll allow myself to say the following, because "don't worry it gets better" is not much of a spoiler: I also follow the manga and the story actually gets to a pretty decent point, not long from now even (canon-wise). It's just that the place where the anime is at right now was kind of a low point that stretched on too long to begin with, and with the anime taking extra time to dwell on it, well.

5 years from now when new Anime fans get to marathon through the anime adaptation- skipping right over the ungodly amounts of filler, without all the week-long-waits and golden weeks and whatnot- I have a feeling they're going to have a much better experience than we did. Granted, it's not the same without having a week every time to get excited about what happens next, but in this case, all things considered, they'll really be better off.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I mentioned this before but I watched all of the first series. The entire thing the quality really dipped near the end. As soon as Shippuden started I just sort of never started with it, and hearing about how there are literal years of filler combined I guess I'm glad I never had to. If I ever want to watch the series because I'm unemployed/bedridden for a month/stuck on a desert island with an Internet connection I could just know what's worth skipping and watch the rest.

I remember though that even when there wasn't filler, often the last 10 minutes of an episode would be repeated in the next one.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Triple Elation posted:

Blame the filler. That's where the problem starts and ends IMO. You can only get so much enjoyment out of a story that is going nowhere by definition.

I'll allow myself to say the following, because "don't worry it gets better" is not much of a spoiler: I also follow the manga and the story actually gets to a pretty decent point, not long from now even (canon-wise). It's just that the place where the anime is at right now was kind of a low point that stretched on too long to begin with, and with the anime taking extra time to dwell on it, well.

5 years from now when new Anime fans get to marathon through the anime adaptation- skipping right over the ungodly amounts of filler, without all the week-long-waits and golden weeks and whatnot- I have a feeling they're going to have a much better experience than we did. Granted, it's not the same without having a week every time to get excited about what happens next, but in this case, all things considered, they'll really be better off.

I felt this way, then I tried watching some anime episodes to see my favorite manga scenes animated, and it's just so lazy.

Naruto/Bee versus Pain/Itatchi should've been way more interesting than it was - but it was extremely lazy, no reactions from the human characters to being kicked, fighting tirelessly, etc. It's like all four were zombies.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
316 "The Reanimated Allied Forces"

317 "Shino vs. Torune!!"

318 "A Hole in the Heart - The Other Jinchuriki"

319 "The Soul That Dwells Within a Puppet"

Are these all filler episodes?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Sounds like it :suicide: How long has this been going for now?

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
13 episodes so far with the next 4 also filler. Why are they doing this, it's like they know I've become interested in the show again. :saddowns:

Are they close to the manga or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
They always like the manga to be around 70-80 chapters ahead, which is actually where they are now. I guess they figure this particular moment in the arc is a good spot for filler versus how the arc works after this point.

• Locked thread