Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Innocent Sin's OST is god drat amazing. I was actually a little disappointed with Eternal Punishment's comparatively, although the dungeon music in that was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

NikkolasKing posted:

Thanks for the insight and tips guys. I might hold off on playing P2 till after Xenoblade simply because I am a Xeno-series fanatic and I'm dying to see what Blade has to offer.

One more quick question about Innocent Sin though - how's the music? As I said I might get the 6CD boxset OST but I won't bother if it isn't anything special.

Xenoblade is great because it actually feels like a complete game. Nothing feels conspicuously absent and it never seems like they had to cut a lot of content just to meet their budget/deadline/whatever.

You should finish Innocent Sin before you look at the OST because a lot of the track names are very literal, unambiguous spoilers.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Also for Innocent Sin, I recommend getting a Nekomata (w/ Agi Card) and Surya (w/ Magna Card) as replacements (I guess) for Maia and Vulcanus so you can do lots of Fusion Spells. :)

And yeah, don't look at the OST because there's some very large spoilers for track names.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The main theme for Innocent Sin is probably my favorite piece of videogame music. It's just really great. Some of the sound track is a little goofy but when it's good, it's really good.

I'm probably way late to this but it's funny seeing Giant Bomb endurance run influences at Atlus. Seeing a demon talk about how cool Funky Student is in the Persona series was pretty neat. Maybe I'm seeing a connection that isn't there but I'm hesitant to believe an unimportant NPC character would be referenced unless he was given a personality and backstory by Jeff and Vinny.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have to totally agree with you on the EO games. Grinding and dungeon crawling really aren't motivation enough to get me to play through more than a couple of strata. The challenge alone just doesn't drive me. Strange Journey is cool because it breaks the dungeons into chunks and gives me good reasons to go and find stuff or replay areas looking for things I missed.

The newest EO game (4) ditches the one-big-dungeon idea for a shitload of smaller, 1-3 floor dungeons instead. Lots of variation in size, area, and scope. There's also an overworld, and some extra stuff to do later. It's a little more like SJ in that respect.

The other one coming out is a remake of EO1, which adds some story and main party PCs but also includes a mode where there's no story, or at least basically a literal remake of the original rather than an enhanced remake.

Definitely look into EO4, and NEO when it comes out, if you liked the chunkiness and story stuff in SJ.

Post-game Soul Hackers boss: Beelzebub is a dick. Two turns!? And Nice Shock or whatever it's called is bullshit. :mad: Is the strategy basically buff defense/magic --> block Elec --> kill? Or is there more to this jerkoff?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 2, 2013

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Pollyanna posted:

The newest EO game (4) ditches the one-big-dungeon idea for a shitload of smaller, 1-3 floor dungeons instead. Lots of variation in size, area, and scope. There's also an overworld, and some extra stuff to do later. It's a little more like SJ in that respect.

The other one coming out is a remake of EO1, which adds some story and main party PCs but also includes a mode where there's no story, or at least basically a literal remake of the original rather than an enhanced remake.

Definitely look into EO4, and NEO when it comes out, if you liked the chunkiness and story stuff in SJ.

Post-game Soul Hackers boss: Beelzebub is a dick. Two turns!? And Nice Shock or whatever it's called is bullshit. :mad: Is the strategy basically buff defense/magic --> block Elec --> kill? Or is there more to this jerkoff?

Stuck on the same boss too. Help here would be fantastic!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

That's basically it, yeah. I don't think it has Dekunda, so you may want to focus on -nda spells before kajas. Reaper Mot makes a good ally (he's hanging around in the fifth section), but you may want to boost his Intelligence with a Nigi Mitama or two so his Megidolas will be a bit more accurate.

You could also bust out a demon with Judgement to shave off a ton of its HP. I believe Genma Heimdall is the highest level demon that has it? You could also try grinding Nemissa up to level 80 so she learns Warlord.

Don't be weak to instant death. Don't be weak to electricity. Try to be immune to instant death. Try to be immune to electricity. Both MC and Nemissa can wear Laurin Rings, Nemissa can wear the Alpha Star Robe, or both could equip Bu Ren Jja from the gallery. You could also try and get Herald Sraosha's Mystic Change item, but it requires something like 20 Intelligence to wear.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 2, 2013

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Have the MC and Nemissa wear the armor that guards against electricity. You can buy it from the shop. You need a dedicated healer, preferably with Mediarahn, though Mediarama will work. I used Anat as my healer. I had Nemissa mostly on the offense, but I also put her in the top left spot, since it allowed her to move before the boss, that way I could heal in emergencies. Keep in mind that she'll need a decent agility level. Keep the MC on guard, and try to have demons with Makakaja and Rakukaja. The boss will use Dekaja every now and then, so you'll have to rebuff, but you need these buffs.

Snix fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 2, 2013

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

TurnipFritter posted:

That's basically it, yeah. I don't think it has Dekunda, so you may want to focus on -nda spells before kajas. Reaper Mot makes a good ally (he's hanging around in the fifth section), but you may want to boost his Intelligence with a Nigi Mitama or two so his Megidolas will be a bit more accurate.

You could also bust out a demon with Judgement to shave off a ton of its HP. I believe Genma Heimdall is the highest level demon that has it? You could also try grinding Nemissa up to level 80 so she learns Warlord.

Grinding Nemissa up to level 80? Hahahahaahaha, that's not going to happen. She's currently at level 68. Oh, I have Judgement - but I have to walk alllll the way back to summon that dude. Ugh. Also, how are you supposed to defeat the no-stopping zone?

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
If you don't want to grind, you can always try lowering the difficulty. Nothing about enemies change, as far as I'm aware, but you take significantly less damage.

And tips for New Game +:

All you keep is your compendium and bank money, as far as I know. Before you start, cash in your Magnetite and put all that money in the bank. It may also keep your chips, but I haven't re-unlocked the bank yet, so I can't confirm that.

Snix fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 2, 2013

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

RadicalR posted:

Grinding Nemissa up to level 80? Hahahahaahaha, that's not going to happen. She's currently at level 68. Oh, I have Judgement - but I have to walk alllll the way back to summon that dude. Ugh. Also, how are you supposed to defeat the no-stopping zone?

You really, seriously want to walk alllll the way back and grab Heimdall for Beelzebub. He is just a giant chunk of HP and Judgement will shave off dozens of turns of attrition trying to kill him.

I can't quite remember who I brought in for the fight but I do remember having Titania for backup healing and megido, since practically all he does is electric she never really took any damage. There should be anti-elec gear for both MC and Nemissa, too.

The very first space in the no-stopping zone will not warp you if you stop. Go through the door, turn around so you're facing the way you came, and walk backwards while using strafing to move sideways. Partway through the no-stopping zone is a chest with an amazing sword for your MC which hits all targets, you definitely want to pick that up.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I hate to sound like a broken record, but high agility really helps with that Soul Hackers boss. I think mine was in the low 30s for that fight, and I was dodging at least half of his attacks.

Edit: Yeah, Judgement tears through him like he was made of tissue paper.

Mr. Swoon fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 2, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Swoon posted:

I hate to sound like a broken record, but high agility really helps with Soul Hackers.

Yeah.

I'm still running through the Monolith (in the nineties it existed as a last chance to get some high level fusion components and even then it went on for far too long, but now it just feels utterly pointless thanks to the compendium), just a Radiancin' and Violent Flashin' and Hamaonin' everything in my path.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Mr. Swoon posted:

I hate to sound like a broken record, but high agility really helps with that Soul Hackers boss. I think mine was in the low 30s for that fight, and I was dodging at least half of his attacks.

Edit: Yeah, Judgement tears through him like he was made of tissue paper.

FUCKKKKKKK, THREE TIMES THIS BOSS HAS hosed ME OVER. I get him into the red, then boom. He stuns me and then kills me. gently caress YOU.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

Hey, at least Beelzebub is the last bonus boss you need to worry about for a while. The door after that is new game +.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ApplesandOranges posted:

So does anyone have that image that sorts all the Persona users by Arcana because looking through 256 pages of the thread is :suicide:

Here you go, buddy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Looks like someone made a thing for Soul Hackers that lets you see every fusion chain for six inputted demons: http://174.129.251.130/demonhackers/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mwahahaha I killed him :v: :v: :v: fukr :v: :v: :v:

Definitely equip Null Elec armor. The Bu Ren Jia nulls elec and isn't very pricy, so you can grab it from the armor shop for both MC and Nemissa. Anat and Heimdall are awesome to have, but as long as you have a source of Makakaja and Mediarahan, you should be okay just plinking him to death with Megido. Just buff yourself, equip anti-elec, get a bunch of recovery items and uh...try not to die.

In other news, I'm about to start NG+. What do I need to keep in mind for this runthrough? Do I keep my spells and levels? What changes on this run? I remember hearing about sidequests in this game, I totally missed those so where do I find them?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Pollyanna posted:

Definitely equip Null Elec armor. The Bu Ren Jia nulls elec and isn't very pricy, so you can grab it from the armor shop for both MC and Nemissa. Anat and Heimdall are awesome to have, but as long as you have a source of Makakaja and Mediarahan, you should be okay just plinking him to death with Megido. Just buff yourself, equip anti-elec, get a bunch of recovery items and uh...try not to die.

In other news, I'm about to start NG+. What do I need to keep in mind for this runthrough? Do I keep my spells and levels? What changes on this run? I remember hearing about sidequests in this game, I totally missed those so where do I find them?

Sell off all of your MAG, dump the money into the bank. There are multiple endings this run. Save Spooky.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RadicalR posted:

Sell off all of your MAG, dump the money into the bank. There are multiple endings this run. Save Spooky.

Multiple? So besides Spooky, what else can I change?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Sidequests:
1. After the second Vision Quest, go to the bath house forum in Paradigm X and talk to the older dude and agree to help him out. When you finish his job, come back and talk to him (he'll be outside the bank) and check your bank account.
2. After Lunch gets into an argument with his father outside the hideout, you'll get an email with a password on it. You can now enter the VR Park in Paradigm X. I think this closes off after you beat Mayone, so you don't have much time to complete it.
3. You'll get an email/post about the Phantom Society finding out the location of Dr. Thrill's lab. You can go visit it in Nikamimon. It's... kind of annoying, so bring CAPS LOCK or Estoma.

Stuff to do:
Fulfill all of Dr. Thrill's orders at the Pet Shop. When you've done the first four and have all of those frosts in your party, he should post a fifth request for Herald Metatron, so you'll need to be at level 80 (or 75 if you want to try and get him via fusion accident). Take all five of the Frosts to the Goumaden and you'll have yourself a new buddy for NG+

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

TurnipFritter posted:

Sidequests:
1. After the second Vision Quest, go to the bath house forum in Paradigm X and talk to the older dude and agree to help him out. When you finish his job, come back and talk to him (he'll be outside the bank) and check your bank account.
2. After Lunch gets into an argument with his father outside the hideout, you'll get an email with a password on it. You can now enter the VR Park in Paradigm X. I think this closes off after you beat Mayone, so you don't have much time to complete it.
3. You'll get an email/post about the Phantom Society finding out the location of Dr. Thrill's lab. You can go visit it in Nikamimon. It's... kind of annoying, so bring CAPS LOCK or Estoma.

Stuff to do:
Fulfill all of Dr. Thrill's orders at the Pet Shop. When you've done the first four and have all of those frosts in your party, he should post a fifth request for Herald Metatron, so you'll need to be at level 80 (or 75 if you want to try and get him via fusion accident). Take all five of the Frosts to the Goumaden and you'll have yourself a new buddy for NG+

You'll probably want to look up Thrill's orders just to save you the frustration.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

There's also a little side-quest with Mary. All you have to do is talk to her after each level, and until she starts repeating herself, which should be after you talk to her once, assuming you didn't forget to see her at some point. Eventually she'll ask to go somewhere. Take her and you win. I don't think you actually get anything for this quest, but I imagine that it feels good.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RadicalR posted:

You'll probably want to look up Thrill's orders just to save you the frustration.

Yeah. Heqet isn't very hard (you probably already have one in the compendium if not it's something easy like Pixie x Gallytrot), Persephone is a bit trickier (You can try Spirit Poltergeist x Vile Mishaguji-sama or Lady Diana x Femme Volvo). Mahamayuri is the lowest level Deity, so you can just any Elemental to rank whatever Deities you have in the compendium down until you get it. For Oliver-kun, you need to equip the Copernicus software (and the Back Upper, preferably), wait until there's a full moon, then perform a fusion that uses a Beast-type demon (Holy, Avatar, Wilder, Beast). An accident will occur and you'll get one like the four UMAs in the game. Keep reloading until you get Oliver.

e: Or I guess you could recruit Oliver-kun and Persephone from the post game dungeon. Persephone is in the first two sections, while Oliver is in the fourth. You'll need the Dark Man software to P though.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 2, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just equipped Copernicus and fuse-spammed until I got 'em all. Didn't take long.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Okay so I lied earlier and I actually have one more question.

Would you all recommended Digital Devil Saga? Of the SMT games suggested to me, DDS was next to Persona in terms of how interested in it I was from what I was told.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Would you all recommended Digital Devil Saga? Of the SMT games suggested to me, DDS was next to Persona in terms of how interested in it I was from what I was told.

I've only played the first one, and I thought it was the tits. It's one of those stories that asks an audience to work a bit to understand what's going on, but I gather that's also because it's one part of two (the game's aren't sequels). The battle system's good, but unforgiving. And the music is the cat's pyjamas.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So I just got Overclocked and I-oh christ come on civvies run away from the demons oh goddammit it critted you.

So yeah, I'm getting pretty frustrated.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

So I just got Overclocked and I-oh christ come on civvies run away from the demons oh goddammit it critted you.

So yeah, I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Those parts are the game starting to ask you to look at the out of battle skill every demon class gets. Avatars can swap places with someone, Beasts can move you across the map at the cost of HP. If you combine those two you can sprint across the map and swap civilians out of danger, or sometimes you need a guy who can fly over obstacles to get there first. Basically take a look at the movement skills and see what you should be using.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Given that you enjoy Xenogears, then yeah, you'll probably dig Digital Devil Saga.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Schubalts posted:

Here you go, buddy.

Dammit, I'd successfully forgotten that Trinity Soul existed.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

NikkolasKing posted:

Digital Devil Saga is kind of a pain in the rear end from a character development standpoint (that is gameplay-wise) but it's got a cool aesthetic and has the best SMT turn system (Nocturne did it better though.)

You will need to grind a lot to get good skills though.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can easily max out magic in DDS for Serph early on and break the game. I had him do triple digits with agi alone and just plow through bosses like nothing. I'd save if for a second run if it's your first time playing though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
DDS in general has a lot of bosses that are weak to fire for whatever reason. Besides giving Serph fire skills, you should give everyone skills that are the opposite of their strength instead of their strength. When they max out they get something that lets them null damage of that type, so you can make them effectively immune to their weakness. This is important because in DDS the characters' strength/weaknesses aren't based on their stats (like someone with high magic resistance will still get leveled by a spell that hits their weakness and vice versa).

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
In Soul Hackers, is it random what gender Nemechi resets to? The first run through it was female, and I've reset it and it seems to be going female again and I'm getting no new demons.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

kthegreat posted:

In Soul Hackers, is it random what gender Nemechi resets to? The first run through it was female, and I've reset it and it seems to be going female again and I'm getting no new demons.

Yeah, it's random. Supposedly if it went down one path last time it's more likely to go down the other path after you reset its growth. Buuut I'm pretty sure its evolution path isn't determined until the moment you evolve it out of its snake form, so you can just save immediately before evolving it and try again if you got the wrong form.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Schubalts posted:

Here you go, buddy.

Much thanks!

And they really do need more characters with Hermit/Hanged Man Arcana, huh?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Here's some more videos of SMT IV. That Rabbit head costume really is something.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

http://www.atlus.com/smt4/home.html

The US SMT4 website now has actual content on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Casualty to Casualry? Damned casuals changing the words on me! :argh: