Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Jerry SanDisky posted:

ariane 5 and therac-25 didn't change things

for a sea change in the industry youre going to need a pretty major catastrophe

yep, I imagine we'll see a lot of smaller scale incidents where we'll blame the people involved for relying on software. a couple of court cases will set the precedent that companies can't be held liable for their products. ha ha that's already happening. it's not like facebook has been used by hate groups, or youtube videos have lead to the people in question killing themselves. yay technology.

maybe we'll either have a massive panic, or a malware epidemic which renders online transactions impossible, or perhaps a scada worm that happens to backfire, with unintended side effects, perhaps shutting off power to a large proportion of the western world. or perhaps america will cut the submarine cables during wartime, akin to scrambling gps, as a last resort for computer security. things will probably gently caress up, they always do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
help i'm turning into a primitivist.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
time to start posting bombs to academics

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

theres more than advertising and academia. also twits and facebook will eventually collapse once advertisers realize how worthless they are. folks like amazon and good do the real datamining and price setting.

myspace, friendster and such expired when they suffered from a generational gap. the hardest thing for them is not raking money from advertisers, but continuing to be relevant in the face of a stagnating user group.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Jerry SanDisky posted:

:q:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

jhalp my revenue source is advertisement and spam but my users hate that

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Hard NOP Life posted:

Thanks for bring it up tef, now I'm sad :(

no problem, i like crushing hope

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jerry SanDisky posted:

bombs are so last century, the modern violent kook prefers chemical or biological weapons

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

I haven't had a job where I truly knew what I was doing when I got it at this point and I'm starting to think I wouldn't have it any other way.

sure, but there is a limit to how many times you can restart as a junior programmer. at some point you have to rely on skills or hard won experience, that is until you're made obsolete by a younger generation who will work for peanuts.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I'm working at a startup which seems neither particularly immoral nor obviously doomed

do I win a prize

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

MononcQc posted:

its not ads you twit

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

at a company i worked, we did a price comparison search. the cheapest retailers wouldn't pay referrals, or kickbacks. if we turned off some companies, we made more money. if something broke, we made more money as the only results would be adverts.

if we actually did what we claimed, we'd never make any money. we never asked for money when we added a site, but we would threaten to take them off the site once we'd convinced them to give us money.

it takes a rare sociopath with long term thinking to focus on adverts that won't drive users away, rather than spamming them to gently caress for short term profit. altruism is not a business model, profit thrives on exploitation.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

tef posted:

lol epic

i thought they only hired kids fresh out of undergrad who don't know any better

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm working at a startup which seems neither particularly immoral nor obviously doomed

do I win a prize

is this the starving artist route?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tef posted:

no problem, i like crushing hope

yeah

i'm getting burned out on digging through decade-old legacy win32 bullshit and was just considering looking for a bullshit startup where i'd at least get to make something new, then i read this past couple pages and ugh gently caress it all

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

sad thing is pittsburgh's got a bunch of robotics startups that look pretty cool but i've got no real experience in that besides a little embedded stuff and my transcripts are poo poo and i am basically doomed

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Jerry SanDisky posted:

its not ads you twit

what the hell are you talking about

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

MononcQc posted:

what the hell are you talking about

i was confused about who you were talking to and acted like (more of) an rear end in a top hat welp

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tef posted:

sure, but there is a limit to how many times you can restart as a junior programmer. at some point you have to rely on skills or hard won experience, that is until you're made obsolete by a younger generation who will work for peanuts.

I sure hope I can change and go into areas where I have more limited domain knowledge without forever being considered a junior at least.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft should enhance TPLs beyond simple 3rd party domain asset blocking and switch to first and 3rd party blocking w/ advanced dom + js blocking. so like if super popular websites have certain divs or whatever, the service would provide the details so the browser can safely cut them out of the page. likewise certain behaviors or sections in javascript could be blocked. also apply it to plugins like flash. then make sure its a w3c standard and enable it by default in IE on all Microsoft platforms. declare total war against web advertising.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Werthog 95 posted:

sad thing is pittsburgh's got a bunch of robotics startups that look pretty cool but i've got no real experience in that besides a little embedded stuff and my transcripts are poo poo and i am basically doomed

eh, that's the employers choice to make. given the places i've worked I wouldn't say that hiring competent programmers is a thing most companies are good at. or that might be i've only worked in places that hire incompetent programmers. either way, not your call to make.

so apply anyway. if you need confidence, try and see if you know someone who knows someone who works there, or find them at a user group locally and prod them for information about what sort of roles they have.

the worst thing that can happen is what happens if you don't bother: nothing. on the other hand you will get some interview experience, and maybe a lovely job.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

Microsoft should enhance TPLs beyond simple 3rd party domain asset blocking and switch to first and 3rd party blocking w/ advanced dom + js blocking. so like if super popular websites have certain divs or whatever, the service would provide the details so the browser can safely cut them out of the page. likewise certain behaviors or sections in javascript could be blocked. also apply it to plugins like flash. then make sure its a w3c standard and enable it by default in IE on all Microsoft platforms. declare total war against web advertising.

lol this will never happen.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tef posted:

eh, that's the employers choice to make. given the places i've worked I wouldn't say that hiring competent programmers is a thing most companies are good at. or that might be i've only worked in places that hire incompetent programmers. either way, not your call to make.

so apply anyway. if you need confidence, try and see if you know someone who knows someone who works there, or find them at a user group locally and prod them for information about what sort of roles they have.

the worst thing that can happen is what happens if you don't bother: nothing. on the other hand you will get some interview experience, and maybe a lovely job.

yeah i'm working on it. for more info see my frantic posting in the cjs thread about how to detox for a piss test

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

lol this will never happen.

yeah but it would own.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

hepatizon posted:

i thought they only hired kids fresh out of undergrad who don't know any better

speaking. so how do i not be poo poo then?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ads would just be served from the same origin

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

AlsoD posted:

speaking. so how do i not be poo poo then?

being poo poo at something is the first step at being not so poo poo at something.

my real advice would be find a hobby or interest outside of computing or you will burn up to a crisp. don't crunch, it never makes things better. don't stay at a poo poo job because you're afraid of trashing your work history.

try new things and make mistakes, read up on poo poo, follow links and poke around. take on a project you have no hope of completing and hack on it. regretful actions are often the easiest to learn from.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

ads would just be served from the same origin

yeah but those would be stopped thru basically ad definitions. like think virus defs for ads. common ones that hit multiple sites would be easy to hit and popular sites would likely have common advertisement display code.

worst comes to worst and people would end up writing advertisement integration systems that make the advertisements the same format as the content, but even then the site would have to sacrifice their content because it would be indistinguishable from ads.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
if you spend your entire life trying to be less poo poo at things you will never be happy. being happy is not being distracted by everything else, but being lost in a problem, and also not making yourself miserable for not being someone else. sometimes being happy is being validated, or a fleeting sense of achievement coming from focusing on a singular goal at the expense of other things.

sometimes happyness is pride in your work, or being thanked. but you're lucky if these coincide with being paid. i guess if you're confident that your life isn't a waste, then you'll be ok.

tef fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 3, 2013

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

worst comes to worst and people would end up writing advertisement integration systems that make the advertisements the same format as the content, but even then the site would have to sacrifice their content because it would be indistinguishable from ads.

this is pretty much what happens already

i mean look at a newspaper some day and see how many press releases you can spot.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tef posted:

my real advice would be find a hobby or interest outside of computing or you will burn up to a crisp. don't crunch, it never makes things better. don't stay at a poo poo job because you're afraid of trashing your work history.

also, don't ever get complacent and stop looking at other jobs as offers appear. you must stay aware of everything in the industry and how it might affect you

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tef posted:

being poo poo at something is the first step at being not so poo poo at something.

yeah i'm just now finally understanding this. be enthusiastically poo poo until you aren't quite as poo poo anymore

and if you ever think you aren't poo poo, learn more until you realize again that you're poo poo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the next thing i need to learn is how to stop posting and get some fukken work done. christ

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Werthog 95 posted:

the next thing i need to learn is how to stop posting and get some fukken work done. christ

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/YouAndYourResearch.html :toot:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

tef posted:

i guess if you're confident that your life isn't a waste, then you'll be ok.

i can't imagine a scenario ever where this is the case

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

tef posted:

maybe we'll either have a massive panic, or a malware epidemic which renders online transactions impossible, or perhaps a scada worm that happens to backfire, with unintended side effects, perhaps shutting off power to a large proportion of the western world. or perhaps america will cut the submarine cables during wartime, akin to scrambling gps, as a last resort for computer security. things will probably gently caress up, they always do.
prove P=NP, all passwords useless forever, technology grinds to a halt

tef posted:

if you spend your entire life trying to be less poo poo at things you will never be happy. being happy is not being distracted by everything else, but being lost in a problem, and also not making yourself miserable for not being someone else. sometimes being happy is being validated, or a fleeting sense of achievement coming from focusing on a singular goal at the expense of other things.

sometimes happyness is pride in your work, or being thanked. but you're lucky if these coincide with being paid. i guess if you're confident that your life isn't a waste, then you'll be ok.
you're either being or doingthinking or being

i basically agree with everything tef has posted on the last page + have nothing to add so i'm going to go read that 'you and your reasearch' article

pointers fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 3, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

when i become a millionaire like my family says i'm going to, before now i had one dream: make either william shatner or christopher walken read "macarthur park" as spoken word

now i have a new dream: hire you to find interesting links like this all day

you are an interesting link machine

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

AlsoD posted:

i can't imagine a scenario ever where this is the case

I guess then you gotta look for the perspective where it doesn't matter if it's a waste anyway and go over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

tef posted:

it's more that I burn up to a crisp, no-one seems to have a job description that reads:

burnt out prolog programmer wanted for the role of loud mouth underachieving smart rear end

- opinionated and reasonably well read. knows the name of the algorithm we need rather than how to develop one from scratch
- can talk about code but barely writes any by comparison.
- likes writing parsers, network services and robust systems in high level languages, or at least thinking about it and never seeming to make a dent on the bug queue.
- must suffer from mood swings and occasionally be incapable of working for months, although occasional bursts of insane productivity depending on enthusiasm.
- will make comparisons to cassandra or sisyphus and generally spend most of his time telling people why things wont work

i've already wasted more than a decade of my life typing in business logic and i really can't bring myself to face another.
this is my current job but im also poor so...