Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Just finished the Chihaya route. The ending was so much more rewarding than the other three routes.

The repeated psychouts at the end freaked me the gently caress out though. I kept waiting for the hammer to fall and Chihaya or protag misfortune to occur. Thankfully it didn't.

Time for Akane. VNs are good fun when you're out sick and have to use an older laptop in bed instead of a gaming rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cynic Jester posted:

VNs are good fun when you're out sick and have to use an older laptop in bed instead of a gaming rig.

This is basically the only reason I can imagine I'd want a surface pro for. It can play plain rear end applications, not just 'apps', and vns are rarely resource intensive.

It's a terrible waste of money, but I think that'd be the ideal way to play vns for me (lazily, not in an office chair).

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

DamnGlitch posted:

Yes. You sure do. Thanks for saying so :confused:

Edit: oh okay you mean in the all ages version she is a literal vampire instead of the sexual vampire in the pc version. I have the rn patch for the pc version [voices et al] but its still the get down get funky version

She drinks blood instead of having sex. So does Rider.

Also, the Realta Nua patch doesn't add voices; that's something the default installer can do. What the RN patch does is add CGs, BGM, effects and reworked scenes from the PS2 release. The guy who made it has been working for a while in one that will also add the option to replace the H-content with the the alternative PS2 scenes, but that's ways off still.

Just checking, you *are* using the RN patch, aren't you? Because Heavens Feel is really devoid of CGs without it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah I am. I mean, I'm pretty sure I am? What's an easy way to tell?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Does it have "realta nua patch 2_0.txt" or something in the main directory?

Finally beat UBW so now I can go back and read those walls of spoilers. E: oh all those spoilers are for heaven's feel. Nevermind.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 3, 2013

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
So Aroduc's really vague post that was brought up a while ago now has context: He started a Kickstarter for a fan-translation of Littlewitch Romanesque.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1358146405/romanesque-translation-project

I guess if you like Quartett or Period you might want to look into it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Neat. Period was pretty good, once you got used to the character design.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Davzz posted:

So Aroduc's really vague post that was brought up a while ago now has context: He started a Kickstarter for a fan-translation of Littlewitch Romanesque.

Though Romanesque itself looks pretty neat, the thing I found most interesting about that post is Aroduc mentioning he was working on translating Seinarukana. Seems like he was the translator the team picked up in February and they just haven't been giving out progress updates since then.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Just finished Akane's route in Rewrite. I probably liked it the most out of the 5 I've gone through so far, though Chihayas route is pretty close with the shounen vibe it has.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Heaven's feel starts out with a bunch of DBZ power levels. Should I be taking notes?
Dang but Rider gets no luck. Every path she gets shut down faster than before. I guess I'll never know any details about her and her status screen will remain blank forever.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's all like 'realta nua' in my directory so I guess I do.

Krinkle posted:

Finally beat UBW so now I can go back and read those walls of spoilers. E: oh all those spoilers are for heaven's feel. Nevermind.

lol

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah I am. I mean, I'm pretty sure I am? What's an easy way to tell?

Rin summoning Archer has way more CGs:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have to have it. I can't recall that since it was so long ago but it looks familiar.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Am I supposed to watch the prologue again after unlocking heaven's feel or why would that be a scene from heaven's feel?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not. The Realta Nua patch adds new CGs to every route. The guy was asking for a way to check if he had the Realta Nua patch.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Endorph posted:

It's not. The Realta Nua patch adds new CGs to every route. The guy was asking for a way to check if he had the Realta Nua patch.

Another quick way it's to check the Gallery menu of HF: if there are only 4 pages, there is no RN patch.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Okay I'm using a wildly outdated realta nua I hope I can just install the new one over it.
e: Okay nope not working

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 4, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't even notice but after three years the RN patch actually got an update back in January.

It's gotten a little unwieldy at this point, but I believe the process is you have to download the original 4.2 patch, rename it to the latest patch#.xp3, and then also grab the fix from back in January and rename that to the next # in addition. The first one should be around 300 MB, and the second 2 MB. For me, these are patch7 and patch8 respectively.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Oh my god, the oppai ending is the best thing. I thought Terra was sort of weak, but Oppai made it all better. I can't stop laughing.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Davzz posted:

Looks like they met their funding goal already. Hopefully we see the game within the next few months.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Blhue posted:

Looks like they met their funding goal already. Hopefully we see the game within the next few months.

quote:

><!Aroduc> Eh.Someone 'donated' $534
><!Aroduc> I somehow doubt that's... uh... valid.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Every time Fate/stay night's successive paths veer off from the original fate route and become obviously different I hate it. I instinctively feel that these successive paths should be "fixing" problems not creating worse ones but they don't listen to my gut feelings so heaven's feel is raking me over the coals right now.

Hmmm. uh. Oh. I think shirou's about to get misery'ed

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 4, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What exactly do you expect from routes, and why do you feel that?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Every time Fate/stay night's successive paths veer off from the original fate route and become obviously different I hate it. I instinctively feel that these successive paths should be "fixing" problems not creating worse ones but they don't listen to my gut feelings so heaven's feel is raking me over the coals right now.

I'm not sure I understand you. Are you complaining that revealing that being Sakura is suffering undermines the "happy endings" of Fate and UBW, and even that revealing that being Archer is suffering undermines the "happy ending" of Fate? Because that's understandable, but it's also pretty obviously intentional. It's impossible to save everyone.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 4, 2013

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

If they force route A, then route B, then route C then it feels like route A should be the most hosed up. Route A should be all the bad decisions with the most collateral damage. This clearly would have made a worse story where there's less interesting things as you read along but every time a successive route veers off and poo poo gets immediately worse, like UBW losing saber or just now in HF losing saber even harder my gut reaction is "no please don't do that I don't want to read a story like this fix it fix it fix it fix these problems".

I'm not claiming to be right or trying to rewrite a better story I'm saying I childishly want things to get better and not worse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The problem is they're forcing Route A, B, C so they can develop Shirou, without it having any influence on how hosed up things are. A is Shirou employing his ideals fully, B is him having his ideals questioned, and C is a conclusion about his ideals.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well, one thing is that since you read them in a fixed order, it requires upping the ante in order to create greater tension.

Shirou managed to get through Fate, so things have to go more wrong for him in Unlimited Blade Works in order for the reader to still catch interest.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Krinkle posted:

If they force route A, then route B, then route C then it feels like route A should be the most hosed up. Route A should be all the bad decisions with the most collateral damage. This clearly would have made a worse story where there's less interesting things as you read along but every time a successive route veers off and poo poo gets immediately worse, like UBW losing saber or just now in HF losing saber even harder my gut reaction is "no please don't do that I don't want to read a story like this fix it fix it fix it fix these problems".

I'm not claiming to be right or trying to rewrite a better story I'm saying I childishly want things to get better and not worse.

There wouldn't be much conflict that way, though. Were you expecting Archer and Saber to kill all the other Servants in the first few days?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fate is, with a few caveats, meant to be a more or less traditional Holy Grail war. Sure there are a few surprises here and there, but it's pretty straightforward. And honestly, what was there to fix after it? It's the most "idealistic" of the three routes.

E: What I mean is that after Fate it would be a waste not to experiment or go different places with the other routes.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 4, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

One thing about FSN is that, since it locks it's paths in a set order, it's mildly unique in that it tells three separate stories that, together, form a larger meta-story about the situation as a whole. The three routes can easily be divided into the three classical acts that many stories are made of. Fate is the first act, where the story and characters are presented to the reader, Unlimited Blade Works is the second act, where the central conflict of the story is presented and Heaven's Feel is the final act, where it is resolved and the climax of the tale delivered.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

The problem is they're forcing Route A, B, C so they can develop Shirou, without it having any influence on how hosed up things are. A is Shirou employing his ideals fully, B is him having his ideals questioned, and C is a conclusion about his ideals.

I've always seen both UBW and HF as valid conclusions for Shirou's "hero" thing. To me they seem to both diverge from Fate, rather than HF building on UBW. Sure, you couldn't really go straight from Fate to the latter, but the only vital parts of UBW needed for HF are Archer's identity and the "reset" of player's attitude towards Ilya from the scene in the Einzbern Castle and Ilya's flashback. The main "false ideal" plot thread is largely irrelevant there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Superficially speaking, Heaven's Feel represents Shirou more or less abandoning his ideals for the sake of one person. That's why it has to come last, as well as after UBW. The consequences and weight of such a decision had to be made clear first.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.
Well, I finished DRAMAtical Murder re:connect last night. Some of it was interesting and some of it was decidedly, 'well what was the point of that?' in the end. Maybe I just wasn't reading carefully enough, I dunno. Anyway :words: :

Some of the bad end continuations were legitimately horrific. I think Noiz's takes the cake in that respect, that was actually hard to keep reading after a point. Clear's was, oddly enough, almost entirely presented from his PoV instead of Aoba's (while it was interesting in some cases to get into the other characters' heads, the way the game implemented it was kind of arbitrary, kinda just going with whoever would be more convenient at a given moment in most of the routes), which was pretty sad, but at the same time a little too... textbook crazy robot dealing with existential angst? Though I guess that describes a lot of Clear's good end continuation as well. Anyway, Clear's bad end managed to make the eyeball removal scene really scary without showing anything or making us listen to Aoba scream through it even. The sex scene was gross/depressing like the rest of the route, at least it was on point tonally I guess (and yeah there is a sex scene in literally every route except the bonus material, this is a fan disk after all, not sure who'd get off on some of these though).

Virus and Trip's bad end continuation still confuses me. The original game kind of glossed over a lot of poo poo in the whole Aoba-got-kidnapped-and-turned-into-their-sex-slave thing in favor of throwing in a sex scene. But in the FD, Morphine backstory aside, there's a decided focus on how Aoba was abused/broken/mistreated and the way it's presented is pretty viscerally disturbing (and it seems like that's the intent too), but at the end of either branch there's a sex scene and Aoba ends up enjoying it (usually almost immediately after a lot of screaming and hosed up poo poo happening). I guess the tonal dissonance is what's getting me, like the game switches rather jarringly from THIS IS AWFUL FEEL BAD to THIS IS HOT YOU SHOULD BE GETTING OFF ON IT, which I guess on some level is what's going on inside Aoba's head but... eh, I dunno. I'm kind of disinclined to think that was an intentional thematic/narrative decision.

In the other bad ends Sly is in charge, so they were pretty hilarious. And the good ends were mostly just happy/cute poo poo as you might expect. I got bored and translated Noiz's good end route earlier this week, so if anyone's feeling impatient after finishing the original game, you can read it here.

There were two bonus routes. One that goes into Mizuki's recovery though really that was just Aoba and him talking about their various insecurities about their decisions and reassuring each other that they did the right thing/whatever. I did laugh out loud when the narration described a fistbump in some detail though. The other bonus route was Aoba asking Tae about his past and his parents. This was one of those 'ooh, gonna get some answers!' type things that ended up delivering gently caress all. I guess I shouldn't have expected much. Really all I got out of it was that Aoba's 'parents' were dicks and that there's something mighty suspicious about Aoba's 'dad,' Nine, who for some reason has vampire fangs and some other unusual qualities but nope, no answers or even concrete hints in that area.

The other extras were pretty entertaining. The little card mini game was pretty cute. The game on the whole isn't too long, I can't imagine it'll take too much time for the patch team to translate. Definitely worthwhile if you enjoyed the original. I think the fact that it doesn't have to worry about the bullshit that was the central plot anymore and just focuses on the kawaii cyberpunk boyfriends aspect was a plus, since despite all the pretense that's really what the game was about, hell even the bonus route about Aoba's parents even made a point to include a scene with Aoba's 'dad' telling Aoba about how some day, he'll meet his special someone and so on and so forth.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Krinkle posted:

It sounds like you're trying to force FSN into a framework that's just not there. It's not about successive attempts to get at a "good ending," it's three separate stories that branch off the same initial conditions, and deal with separate issues.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well I ended up finishing both Koujaku and Mink's route. So it seems all I have left is Ren's.

Mink: This route was just...Well something, The part with the motorcycle was pretty :krad: and Mink definitely did alot of badass stuff but...It's really hard to take his ~tragic past~ seriously when he you know. violently rapes you like three loving times if they just made him forceful or whatever instead of that I think I could have empathized with him some more but he was just such an abusive dickhead it was hard to find myself liking him at all. The sappy ending was kinda weird too considering but whatever.

Koujaku: Koujaku overall was pretty boring (as a person) his route was...Alright? I guess? The attempted rape scene was weird and dumb but I guess ~magic tattoo rage~ is the culprit but the route could have easily done without it. I would say that overall this was the most meh route since the action stuff was kinda dumb but the ending was pretty cute even if I didn't like Koujaku that much, so there's that at least.

Overall I'm hoping Ren's route is at least more interesting since his is the final one but as long as it has pretty graphics and effects I'll be satisfied I guess.

I was about to ask about re:connect so thanks for this write up, I'll probably end up reading it when it's translated just cuz if anything else.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

In fate/stay, heaven's feel path, on day 10 I am pretty sure everything is hosed forever and the land has been salted and no hopes can grow. I stopped right as Archer gets impaled but I can guess what comes next.

I don't know if anyone's read The Ruins but by page 30 it's agonizingly obvious that nobody is leaving cursed tentacle rape mountain alive, so the entire rest of the book is just cruel degrading misery after misery and that is how I see HF proceeding. (HF day 10 spoiler)With three no-servant having ex-masters for protagonists there's just no way to resist anymore, (unrelated terrible book spoiler)everyone is going to die one by one and the last one remaining can slit their throat in despair as the tentacles drag them back into the corpse pile. That imagery is exactly how I see it ending.

e: The awful book is about a mountain covered by carnivorous jungle vines that do invasive body horror things.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 5, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Krinkle posted:

I don't know if anyone's read The Ruins but by page 30 it's agonizingly obvious that nobody is leaving cursed tentacle rape mountain alive

Uh, I'm sorry, what?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Krinkle posted:

In fate/stay, heaven's feel path, on day 10 I am pretty sure everything is hosed forever and the land has been salted and no hopes can grow. I stopped right as Archer gets impaled but I can guess what comes next.

I don't know if anyone's read The Ruins but by page 30 it's agonizingly obvious that nobody is leaving cursed tentacle rape mountain alive, so the entire rest of the book is just cruel degrading misery after misery and that is how I see HF proceeding. (HF day 10 spoiler)With three no-servant having ex-masters for protagonists there's just no way to resist anymore, (unrelated terrible book spoiler)everyone is going to die one by one and the last one remaining can slit their throat in despair as the tentacles drag them back into the corpse pile. That imagery is exactly how I see it ending.

e: The awful book is about a mountain covered by carnivorous jungle vines that do invasive body horror things.

Heaven's Feel is not the kind of story you think it is. Fairly large but necessary spoilers: There is at least one relatively happy ending.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Krinkle posted:

Hyperbole aside, it's funny how sure you are of this despite the fact that even most people who dislike HF as a whole agree that the last two days of Heavens Feel are about the best part of the novel. I'd suggest reading a little longer into Day 10 for Chekov's arm, but if you still think things are just stupid grimderp, feel free to drop it. It's clearly not for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I read a little further this morning before I had to go on a road trip, Rider seems to be asking me if I'm ready for Sakura to crack and murder everyone and if I'll still be on her side unless I misunderstood? She also might have been asking if I'm ready to let her die and survive because the other way around would be intolerable to Sakura. I'll pick it back up tomorrow night. I can't not finish I mean I'm clearly imagining the worst and it's going to grieve me more than whatever actually happens.

• Locked thread