Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Suspicious Dish posted:

you are an interesting link machine

basically. if I could sit in an r&d department as a local cache for google i'd be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
fwiw I have helped people do some research on their phd and dumped a whole bunch of papers I remembered.

MononcQc posted:

I guess then you gotta look for the perspective where it doesn't matter if it's a waste anyway and go over that.

alternatively, drugs, sex, music.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

tef posted:

is this the starving artist route?

naw, we've got a business model (showing 'sponsored results' on search)

I guess I don't feel like I'm really making the world a better place working here, but at least I'm not making it worse, and the pay + working conditions are very good for entry-level ($90k, no fixed hours, catered meals, etc)

basically I stumbled into a pretty good situation by dumb luck (a family friend is friends with the CEO) and I feel a little guilty about it?

idk why I'm typing this tbh but :justpost:

this looks cool & I will report back after reading it

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

comfortable, soothing nihilism.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anything's immoral if you look at it from the right angle!

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Werthog 95 posted:

anything's moral if you look at it from the right angle!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

PleasingFungus posted:

this would be option c) the noble goal that slowly rots. it just takes a change in management, under pressure from investors or the board to push for more intrusive adverts.

quote:

basically I stumbled into a pretty good situation by dumb luck (a family friend is friends with the CEO) and I feel a little guilty about it?

eh, just enjoy your luck, a little guilt is ok, just don't fool yourself into thinking you deserve it.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

it feels really weird to get paid earth dollars to program

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

gucci void main posted:

it feels really weird to get paid earth dollars to shitpost

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

tef posted:

this would be option c) the noble goal that slowly rots. it just takes a change in management, under pressure from investors or the board to push for more intrusive adverts.

yeah, I can see that happening

well, I figure we've got a few good years yet. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

p.s. the Hamming talk was very good; I was strongly reminded of Willis' Bellwether* in some parts (particularly the 'change careers every 7 years' bit). wouldn't be surprised if Willis had encountered the talk at some point.

also I appreciated the brief appearance of UNIX in the Q&A. funy computer.

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.
i work in the complete opposite spectrum of advertising start-up land and i can say that it's just as loving terrible

i work on embedded controllers that control the ventilation and production equipment of pig and chicken farms. because everything is mandated by EU law, requirements change extremely slowly. we ship a new version of software every 4 years with only 2-3 small new features.

because we sell electronics in bulk, most of the job is figuring out where we can cut corners and save 10 cents per unit. we currently try to run qt on a 200mhz board with 128mb ram and no graphics unit, so using our menus is like watching paint dry.

programming is loving terrible.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

tef posted:

it's more that I burn up to a crisp, no-one seems to have a job description that reads:

burnt out prolog programmer wanted for the role of loud mouth underachieving smart rear end

- opinionated and reasonably well read. knows the name of the algorithm we need rather than how to develop one from scratch
- can talk about code but barely writes any by comparison.
- likes writing parsers, network services and robust systems in high level languages, or at least thinking about it and never seeming to make a dent on the bug queue.
- must suffer from mood swings and occasionally be incapable of working for months, although occasional bursts of insane productivity depending on enthusiasm.
- will make comparisons to cassandra or sisyphus and generally spend most of his time telling people why things wont work

i've already wasted more than a decade of my life typing in business logic and i really can't bring myself to face another.

I think you should try working in france tef. I'm a barely educated programmer (getting a book on first order logic this weekend!) and they treat me pretty well. Since this is my first real job and I have no degree and I'm working for the research arm of the government I'm not paid well, but they put up with a remarkable amount of poo poo from me (I usually only show up 3 days a week). They're constantly praising my code quality and surprised at how quick I'm completing the work they expected me to take a year. They also listen to my ideas and input and actually seem interested in improving the general quality of their software.

Oh, they also pay me to write scala code.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

I guess I don't feel like I'm really making the world a better place working here, but at least I'm not making it worse, and the pay + working conditions are very good for entry-level ($90k, no fixed hours, catered meals, etc)

idk why I'm typing this tbh but :justpost:

this looks cool & I will report back after reading it

wait are you the dude who made manufactoria

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
hey tef, write a book

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

qntm posted:

hey tef, write a book

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
write a book
write a book
write a motherfucking book

r-i-t-e a b-o OhhhKaay

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FamDav posted:

wait are you the dude who made manufactoria

admittedly

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hell yes write books erryday

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

monowuqqcqcqc how hard is it to write a book?

all the broken comedians i listen to on podcasts say its the worst

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
tefu is this u?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

polpotpi posted:

monowuqqcqcqc how hard is it to write a book?

all the broken comedians i listen to on podcasts say its the worst

It's fun when you start, then it gets tedious, then it's lovely, then you're done and you say "never again", and then you start thinking about it again.

Also never do it for the money.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

anyone familiar with converting an hg repo to git? i'm getting some annoying loving "object [hash]:contains '.git'" error when i try to push it up to github

i used fast-export. git fsck and git gc doesn't seem to be doing poo poo.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

gucci void main posted:

anyone familiar with converting an hg repo to git? i'm getting some annoying loving "object [hash]:contains '.git'" error when i try to push it up to github

i used fast-export. git fsck and git gc doesn't seem to be doing poo poo.

Open source? Is it on bitbucket then. I'll give it a go.

Personally, I used this to convert mercurial repositories when I needed to:

http://felipec.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/git-remote-hg-bzr-2/

crazysim fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 4, 2013

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

i liked that game, it owns

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
any game that destroys productivity is a good game

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
what a good game manufactoria is

just want to give you some empty praise b/c it's an awesome game

wheres the yospos easter egg

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

tef posted:

any game that destroys productivity is a good game

hopefully my new game will also destroy much productivity

gonna need to tighten up the graphics on level 3 a bit first tho.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
man i made one of those years ago but forgot to make it actually a game

im good at programming node / flow graph systems but bad of thinking of inventive ways to turn them into games

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

qntm posted:

hey tef, write a book

i try but it turns out I am better at glib statements than manifestos

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIIpExVf-5I

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'll put one in the new game

there I just made a note of it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
just make a book full of pithy one-liners for people to take out of context and quote and inappropriate times

sells like hotcakes (which means youll sell one as soon as somebody has the nerve to go into ihop)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Suspicious Dish posted:

empty quote

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

just make a book full of pithy one-liners for people to take out of context and quote and inappropriate times

sells like hotcakes (which means youll sell one as soon as somebody has the nerve to go into ihop)

Anti Chicken Soup for the Programmer soul

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
ooh oooh make a few of them subtly contradict each other and cause the morons to snarkily copy/paste them in their emails and have an embarassing nerd fight

~~ exceptions are the invisible hand that guides the flow control to a speedy recovery ~~

~~ a clear and precise flow might be bad for lil wayne but good for big dilbert ~~

except less poo poo more snark

put some of those profound zen koans in there too

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
a novice to the industry came to Master Tef

"Master Tef, how can business like pinterest truly claim to change the world? discovering interesting poo poo has been tried before, nonetheless with void business strategies"

Master Tef did not say a word. he simply wiggled an eyebrow and typed "kill me now" onto the screen

upon seeing this, the novice was enlightened

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

Anti Chicken Soup for the Programmer soul

its gotta be named something dumb like "the clownfish book"

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

tef posted:

i try but it turns out I am better at glib statements than manifestos
start with your old careposts

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
You can't make the world a better place by programming, but there's good news - you can't make the world a better place by doing anything at all that will let you live above abject poverty. And that's not your fault either.

You can't look for motivation via meaningful work (because you won't find it). You can't look for motivation via good, reliable pay (because you won't get it). You can't look for it in the fun of digging into new things (because you get desensitized to it and it's all poo poo anyway).

Luckily almost everyone in this field is terrible at their jobs, so you don't have to put in too much effort to blend in and you can focus on something fun like making everything into aesthetically pleasing linq queries chains or monadic workflows that all are indented the same and are simple and work except you leave out the error handling code and logging because it makes the text look gross.

I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

ooh oooh make a few of them subtly contradict each other and cause the morons to snarkily copy/paste them in their emails and have an embarassing nerd fight

~~ exceptions are the invisible hand that guides the flow control to a speedy recovery ~~

~~ a clear and precise flow might be bad for lil wayne but good for big dilbert ~~

except less poo poo more snark

put some of those profound zen koans in there too

E. W. Dijkstra beat him to it three decades ago

Dijkstra posted:

The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of his own skull; therefore he approaches the programming task in full humility, and among other things he avoids clever tricks like the plague.

Dijkstra posted:

Don't blame me for the fact that competent programming, as I view it as an intellectual possibility, will be too difficult for "the average programmer" — you must not fall into the trap of rejecting a surgical technique because it is beyond the capabilities of the barber in his shop around the corner.

hm yes