Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Perhaps in some kind of Blood Dragon-esque DLC?

I'd buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Isn't that pretty much exactly what Undead Nightmare was though? Ridiculousness personified.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

It would be cool to play some sort of backstory to Uncle, or at least have him show up somewhere. I find his last quite interesting and I really wish Rockstar did more than hint towards it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Business Raptor posted:

It would be cool to play some sort of backstory to Uncle, or at least have him show up somewhere. I find his last quite interesting and I really wish Rockstar did more than hint towards it.

In Red Dead 3 you should play as young Uncle, obviously.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Am I the only one who, after playing RDR, was left craving a western MMO? Exactly the same as Red Dead Redemption, but with a bigger map and thousands of players and NPCs to flesh out the world. Maybe if it took some elements from DayZ too. There are so many awesome things you could do, like have bandit/sheriff factions and awesome character customization and train robberies and oh god

I don't even like MMOs and I would dedicate my life to that game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rubber Slug posted:

Am I the only one who, after playing RDR, was left craving a western MMO? Exactly the same as Red Dead Redemption, but with a bigger map and thousands of players and NPCs to flesh out the world. Maybe if it took some elements from DayZ too. There are so many awesome things you could do, like have bandit/sheriff factions and awesome character customization and train robberies and oh god

I don't even like MMOs and I would dedicate my life to that game.

I once had a dream about this when I was a teenager. I can't remember too much except for the fact that Grindstone was basically the perfect name for a Wild West MMO.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

It sounds cool on paper but I'm sure it'd come down to being fetch quests and kill a dragon mechanical bull together with wizard spells gunblade things.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

I once had a dream about this when I was a teenager. I can't remember too much except for the fact that Grindstone was basically the perfect name for a Wild West MMO.

I had this idea when I was a kid too. And when I played RDR I realized that it was actually better than I imagined :qq:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
For me the multiplayer deathmatches and steal the bags were so much fun. Even despite the lack of balance with the power weapons, it was just so damned enjoyable.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has Rockstar announced a PC version for this masterpiece of a game yet or are they still being fuckwads about it?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
There is never going to be a PC version.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, if they haven't put it out by now, they never will. R* North has been working on GTA V, and R* San Diego is likely (hopefully :ohdear: ) working on the next Red Dead game. I don't think it's really feasible for them to devote any resources from any of their studios off of current projects to create a PC port for a game that's 3 years old.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Guys, guys, we can make it happen, right after we convince Square to release an updated FFVII. Trust me!

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Just finished this game for the first time.

The ending: WHAT THE HELL, MAN!!!!!!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

LaserWash posted:

Just finished this game for the first time.

The ending: WHAT THE HELL, MAN!!!!!!

Are you sure you actually finished it? There's an "ending" a lot of people get to and stop, keep playing.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

fennesz posted:

Are you sure you actually finished it? There's an "ending" a lot of people get to and stop, keep playing.

Looks like you are right. But still... http://www.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redemption/Remember_My_Family

Reaaaaallllyyyy?!!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If you don't see credits, you haven't seen the ending.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If you don't see credits, you haven't seen the ending.

Okay, NOW I'm done.

Went right for the face on Ross, over and over and over and over again. That felt awesome.

It still doesn't make up for the fact that we can't have a sequel that stars John again. :rant: :rant: :rant:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LaserWash posted:

Okay, NOW I'm done.

Went right for the face on Ross, over and over and over and over again. That felt awesome.

It still doesn't make up for the fact that we can't have a sequel that stars John again. :rant: :rant: :rant:

You didn't shoot him six times in the crotch? You're obviously much more of a gentleman than I

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I had a hard time shooting him at all. By becoming obsessed with revenge and seeking out and murdering a man in cold blood, Jack has gone down the path of outlaw scum, the path that John specifically wanted to steer him away from. God knows what happened to Abigail with John gone and Jack just another outlaw. Jack is the worst.

drat powerful ending though.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 28, 2013

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I had a hard time shooting him at all. By becoming obsessed with revenge and seeking out and murdering a man in cold blood, Jack has gone down the path of outlaw scum, the path that John specifically wanted to steer him away from. God knows what happened to Abigail with John gone and Jack just another outlaw. Jack is the worst.

:ssh: That's the point. It's a cycle of violence that you don't know you should have avoided until you've already lived it.
I'm still convinced it's probably the best narrative in a videogame to date.

e: I hope to god that we get some info on the new Red Dead game at E3. If we don't I don't know what I'll do
:negative:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 28, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's quite well done really. I was all pumped to kill the fascist bastard but then after I did it it all just hit me. Despite any flaws it has when it comes to storytelling RDR really sticks to its themes real well. Not many games do that.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think my favorite part of the ending is that you end up meeting all of these people connected to Ross. The game neither encourages you to murder the poo poo out of them, nor does it condemn you if you do, they're treated just like any other NPC. I think it's a great way of implicating the character in the basic "theme" of the game, and it isn't done in some ridiculously ham handed Bioware-esque fashion.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Fuligin posted:

I think my favorite part of the ending is that you end up meeting all of these people connected to Ross. The game neither encourages you to murder the poo poo out of them, nor does it condemn you if you do, they're treated just like any other NPC. I think it's a great way of implicating the character in the basic "theme" of the game, and it isn't done in some ridiculously ham handed Bioware-esque fashion.

I murdered every single one of them right up to (and including, heh) Ross' wife just in case Jack got an ending like the one John got. It all hit me after I killed Ross and just stood there in the empty desert. I felt like the game really made its point well at that moment.

The biggest thing I hated about the ending was having to spend the rest of the playthrough locked in Jack's skanked-up character model instead of being able to go back and select the "John" skin again. Riding around the old West as John would have been a much more satisfying, if more video-gamey end game.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 29, 2013

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^Play around with Jack some more. I found he really started to grow on me and a lot of his ill tempered and even immature nature kind of started to "make sense" to me. Though I suspect that this is because I find playing as a foolish young upstart roaming the Mexican countryside constantly drinking and wantonly murdering people incredibly interesting (and fun).

Fuligin posted:

Agreed. I love that you meet Ross' wife and his brother just before you meet Ross himself. It not only humanizes him but gives you a chance to take some serious revenge if you're so inclined. And like you already pointed out the fact the game doesn't judge you in any way for any action you take really allows you to the freedom to come up with your own motivations for doing or not doing something.

It's one of the many, many reasons I maintain that RDR is one of the best RPGs I've ever played :v:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 28, 2013

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

I murdered every single one of them right up to Ross' wife just in case Jack got an ending like the one John got.

:stare: I never even thought about doing that. You people are monsters.

Although I guess I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to that sort of thing. I try so hard to resolve most random duels nonlethally that I get jarred when the game doesn't allow you to. I don't want to kill someone over a poker game, I just want to send them running to teach them a lesson. :unsmith:

Of course, in Undead Nightmare, I murder the poo poo out of every cannibal I find. I don't care that they're randomly generated and aren't bothering anyone, there are some lines that you just shouldn't cross.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Plus I always have this weird almost depressed feeling when I realize I've just done everything there is to do in a sandbox game. There's no new characters to meet, no new challenges to do, no new items to unlock. There is nothing left for me to do besides just run around and be a dick. RDR is the first sandbox game I ever played that took this idea and made it a fundamental point of the narrative.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
The Mauser holds fifteen shots, and that's exactly how many that cocksucker got put in him.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Fuligin posted:

The fact they're treated like common NPCs also means that they're subject to some of the game's fun quirks. The last time I saw Ross' brother on my latest playthrough, he was running away from a pack of wolves that attacked us after the dialogue scene (I wasn't able to go help him because I was busy dealing with a wolf or two myself and he had disappeared by the time I killed them). I have never hurt him or Ross' wife on purpose, they haven't done anything and I'm not about to start murdering innocents.

I like how many different ways there are to approach the postgame and still have it make sense narrative-wise. After I had killed Ross on my first playthrough, I didn't play Jack as an angry murderous dickhead but instead decided that he should stay a man of honor. He'd become the greatest sharpshooter in the west, the bane of criminals everywhere, and the number one slayer of legendary beasts, even better than his dad ever was. I figured that would make John proud. :unsmith: Once I was done with all that and got the Legend of the West outfit, I finished Jack's story by putting on Johnny Cash's version of "The Wayfaring Stranger" from the Xbox music player and riding into the sunset. Never touched that save file again, except the one time I went back to do the stuff that was missing from 100% completion.

I might have a tendency to roleplay too much in these games. :downs:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I never knew I hadn't finished the game until now. :aaa: I thought after John dies you are just given the opportunity to roam around and complete any challenges you have left, so I quit.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

The fact they're treated like common NPCs also means that they're subject to some of the game's fun quirks. The last time I saw Ross' brother on my latest playthrough, he was running away from a pack of wolves that attacked us after the dialogue scene (I wasn't able to go help him because I was busy dealing with a wolf or two myself and he had disappeared by the time I killed them). I have never hurt him or Ross' wife on purpose, they haven't done anything and I'm not about to start murdering innocents.

I like how many different ways there are to approach the postgame and still have it make sense narrative-wise. After I had killed Ross on my first playthrough, I didn't play Jack as an angry murderous dickhead but instead decided that he should stay a man of honor. He'd become the greatest sharpshooter in the west, the bane of criminals everywhere, and the number one slayer of legendary beasts, even better than his dad ever was. I figured that would make John proud. :unsmith: Once I was done with all that and got the Legend of the West outfit, I finished Jack's story by putting on Johnny Cash's version of "The Wayfaring Stranger" from the Xbox music player and riding into the sunset. Never touched that save file again, except the one time I went back to do the stuff that was missing from 100% completion.

I might have a tendency to roleplay too much in these games. :downs:

This was my interpretation of the ending because in the end it really is up to the player how he conducts the rest of his life.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I saved mostly all the Stranger missions for post-game in my last file. That part of it took over a year of me picking it up now and then, and it felt like whole separate game. Jack seemed like he earnestly wanted to help and make a difference, but all the Stranger missions end on a bad note with things going wrong or people dying or whatever. It felt like he was following his dad's good example but was just loving everything up for everyone he met. And it was fantastic.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I need to fire this game back up and play it as a bad-guy. Never got around to doing that.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Scarf posted:

I need to fire this game back up and play it as a bad-guy. Never got around to doing that.

It's ridiculously fun. It's even more fun if you play without the HUD on because posses of US Marshals become extremely dangerous. You never know just how many there are or where they're coming from. It also forces you to get really good at timing your dynamite thrown at pursuers from horseback :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Scarf posted:

I wish the game had more incentive to do it. Like if you could make as much money from banditry as from hunting. I'd love to ride around and rob trains and stick up stage coaches, but there's no real point to do it other than for the sake of doing it. The game kind of railroads you into being a good guy, or at least that was my experience with it.

Maybe part of that though was that the story missions seemed to be about John's urges to reform, and also that the world was a lousy enough place for the little guy wherever you went (the random encounters, I mean), there was no need to compound their troubles.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bloodcider posted:

I saved mostly all the Stranger missions for post-game in my last file. That part of it took over a year of me picking it up now and then, and it felt like whole separate game. Jack seemed like he earnestly wanted to help and make a difference, but all the Stranger missions end on a bad note with things going wrong or people dying or whatever. It felt like he was following his dad's good example but was just loving everything up for everyone he met. And it was fantastic.

Too bad you miss out on the last Stranger mission if you don't do it early.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Capn Beeb posted:

The Mauser holds fifteen shots, and that's exactly how many that cocksucker got put in him.

It's the only time I've ever used a non-revolver in a duel. It just felt so appropriate for Jack to keep shooting even after Ross's body is floating down the river.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I used a revolver to put a single shot right between his eyes.

Was awesome. :clintbert: (we need that emote)

Edit: this will have to suffice. :ocelot::clint:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The Hi-Power is the best pistol. That may be because I don't like buying ammo and I do like killing Marshals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I fervently stuck to single action revolvers. That's the real way to play, none of those new fangled nancy pussy semi-automatics.

• Locked thread