Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

matt_millar posted:

I cannot wait until sprint turns on lte in north jersey and nyc.

I get 4G on my S3 in a few spots in Manhattan but I notice it mostly in midtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

KillHour posted:

What does "WiMax protection area" mean?
Sprint/Clearwire randomly threw up WiMAX antennas in random cities all across the country so that the FCC wouln't fine them or take away the spectrum due to non-usage. "Protecting their spectrum."

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

td4guy posted:

Sprint/Clearwire randomly threw up WiMAX antennas in random cities all across the country so that the FCC wouln't fine them or take away the spectrum due to non-usage. "Protecting their spectrum."

To expand on this a little, my town is a WiMax protection area. We have one WiMax tower that is right over our mall. If you are within about 1 mile radius of it, you can get some decent speeds, since no one uses it. Outside of that, my town is nothing be very over saturated 3G towers.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Got a rooted Galaxy Nexus S2 off ebay and was able to activate it on my account but I keep getting error 16 and cannot make calls. I spent over an hour with three different reps and none of them could resolve it, after factory reset and them doing resets on their end. They told me to take it to a store to see if they could fix it. I tried several ways to get the MSL, hoping I could do something with that but to no avail. Anyone run into this and know what I can do or what number can really fix it? I would love to avoid going to a store and don't have faith they'll fix it anyway. I'm on SERO.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Does anyone have experience using Tether with a Sprint phone? My father in law (SGS2E4G) is going on a trip and wants to ditch his Virgin Mobile plan that costs $55 per month. He wants to use his laptop occasionally and won't have wi-fi. I know you can do the hotspot thing through Sprint, but I want to make it as easy and inexpensive as possible for him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

that one guy posted:

Got a rooted Galaxy Nexus S2 off ebay and was able to activate it on my account but I keep getting error 16 and cannot make calls. I spent over an hour with three different reps and none of them could resolve it, after factory reset and them doing resets on their end. They told me to take it to a store to see if they could fix it. I tried several ways to get the MSL, hoping I could do something with that but to no avail. Anyone run into this and know what I can do or what number can really fix it? I would love to avoid going to a store and don't have faith they'll fix it anyway. I'm on SERO.

Sign onto wifi amd then update the profile. It's weird but sometimes you need that with LTE phones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

To expand on this a little, my town is a WiMax protection area. We have one WiMax tower that is right over our mall. If you are within about 1 mile radius of it, you can get some decent speeds, since no one uses it. Outside of that, my town is nothing be very over saturated 3G towers.

I had a wimax capable phone for two years, and I've never come across this magical tower.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Sign onto wifi amd then update the profile. It's weird but sometimes you need that with LTE phones.
Doesn't work, it just hangs on "The network is preparing your services. Please wait..." and then it eventually tells me it can't do it and to contact my service provider (which I did and they say they can't help me.)

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

KillHour posted:

I had a wimax capable phone for two years, and I've never come across this magical tower.

There is a wimax tower near Niagara Falls Boulevard that I used for all of 10 seconds. It's up near the intersection of Old Falls Blvd. It wasn't that great of speed when I had my Nexus S.

that one guy posted:

Doesn't work, it just hangs on "The network is preparing your services. Please wait..." and then it eventually tells me it can't do it and to contact my service provider (which I did and they say they can't help me.)

You have become their best customer: paying your bill and unable to use their service.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

mcpringles posted:

I just went to lunch near a recently completed tower in Phoenix and was able to get 1650kbps which is much better than the 44 I get at work. I'm very excited.

This is like sprint_stockholm_syndrome.txt.

With NV Phoenix is approaching congested ATT 3G speeds. Tmobile lit up LTE overnight, and their fauxG was always pretty fast. When does the SoftBank money come?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

ninmeister posted:

You have become their best customer: paying your bill and unable to use their service.
Hah!

Well I got it worked out after about an hour with an echat guy. I got this phone from ebay. Turns out the ESN on the box doesn't match the ESN on the phone. I activated the phone using the box's ESN...once we figured that out, the guy was able to give me the proper MSL so we could properly reset/activate it, etc.

Suuuuuper helpful chat guy. Got lucky on that one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Omahatalk: Someone on S4GRU was saying a sprint engineer/tower worker told them the market would have LTE by the first Huskers game. You know, like all the other "in a few months" lines.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

I saw a Sprint commercial saying that you should get a smartphone in Dallas because Dallas has LTE.

This was taken earlier today in Plano:

I still can't figure out how the Houston area has better LTE coverage if it started after Dallas.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
My parents are on my EPRP account and my mom is due for an upgrade. Can she only upgrade through Sprint? She wants a Galaxy S3 but $150 seems steep given the S4 is $250. I know she can't upgrade via Amazon but what about Sam's Club or Costco?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Question guys, I have three other phones under my account. What happens to the other lines under me when/if I get booted?

Should I set someone else up as the primary account holder or probably easiest l have them move to their own separate accounts?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think a tower upgraded near me recently. Still no LTE, but actual usable 3G is a nice surprise.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ninmeister posted:

There is a wimax tower near Niagara Falls Boulevard that I used for all of 10 seconds. It's up near the intersection of Old Falls Blvd.

The other is near Bailey and Kensington. See if you can find it !

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jfff posted:

My parents are on my EPRP account and my mom is due for an upgrade. Can she only upgrade through Sprint? She wants a Galaxy S3 but $150 seems steep given the S4 is $250. I know she can't upgrade via Amazon but what about Sam's Club or Costco?

Only sprint corporate. Indirect sprint retailers (not big box) recently got the ability to work with employee accounts like this, but they're new to the plans so I don't know how consistent the service will be. I would highly recommend corporate.

memento mori
May 4, 2008
So Newegg has a deal on the Galaxy Note 2 for $109. Problem is that's only for new customers. Is there a reason I can't cancel my service with them now, and order the phone with the new customer deal tomorrow?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

memento mori posted:

So Newegg has a deal on the Galaxy Note 2 for $109. Problem is that's only for new customers. Is there a reason I can't cancel my service with them now, and order the phone with the new customer deal tomorrow?

Yeah, you have to have been gone for a while to be considered 'new' again. I want to say 60 days, but I'm not looking around to confirm that.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

Does anyone have experience using Tether with a Sprint phone? My father in law (SGS2E4G) is going on a trip and wants to ditch his Virgin Mobile plan that costs $55 per month. He wants to use his laptop occasionally and won't have wi-fi. I know you can do the hotspot thing through Sprint, but I want to make it as easy and inexpensive as possible for him.

I cancelled my cable and literally used my Epic 4G (OG Galaxy S) tethered to my laptop for my sole home internet for about a year and a half with no problems. I used at least 15-20GB/month (just guessing, probably a lot more) on it and Sprint never said a word to me about it, or charged me an extra cent. Latency was good enough that I could stream Netflix and play Guild Wars 2 with no problems, to boot.

If your father-in-law isn't a media hog like I am, he'll have absolutely no problems as long as he has WiMax coverage, since I'm pretty sure tethering won't work over 3G.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Tethering works fine over 3G, for a given value of "fine". I mean, this is Sprint 3G we're talking about.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

zer0spunk posted:

I think a tower upgraded near me recently. Still no LTE, but actual usable 3G is a nice surprise.

That's not bad. That's at the upper level of EvDO Rev. A real-world sustained-download speed. You can tell it bounced around a lot, though.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I'm due for an upgrade June 1st. Currently have an HTC Evolution 4G, like Android. Looking around the store trying to price stuff but because it's not June I can't see the upgrade discount. Is it just $350 off?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

that one guy posted:

I'm due for an upgrade June 1st. Currently have an HTC Evolution 4G, like Android. Looking around the store trying to price stuff but because it's not June I can't see the upgrade discount. Is it just $350 off?

You get new customer pricing. The iPhone 5 is $199, the Galaxy 4 is $249, the One I believe is $199. Any other phone is the wrong choice. You can check best buy and such, normally the prices are the same with recently launched devices (if you are on SERO or EPRP you must go through sprint corp).

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

that one guy posted:

It's the regularly advertised two-year contract retail pricing. Often, Big Box retailers and occasionally Sprint will offer an additional promotional discount to new customers. If there's a discrepancy, you're paying the 2-year upgrade price and not the new contract price.

If you have a retail Everything Data (not an employee referral) plan, do some price-shopping at outside retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, RadioShack, etc. They're usually cheaper than Sprint's sales channels. Last I checked, Amazon's 6 month termination penalty still didn't apply to Sprint.

Edit: beat me to it, you
vvvvvvvvvvv

Duckman2008 posted:

You get new customer pricing. The iPhone 5 is $199, the Galaxy 4 is $249, the One I believe is $199.

There's a trade-in promotion from HTC for the HTC One. Guaranteed minimum trade-in value of $100 (up to $375) for your old phone if you buy an HTC One this weekend before the 5th or 6th. That's more than you would get on Craigslist for your Evo 4g.

Found the link: http://www.htctradeup.com/htcone/100promo/

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
In that case, you're only option is to buy directly from Sprint--online or brick and mortar stores. And yes, without 2-year upgrade pricing phones are $500-700 MSRP.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 4, 2013

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
That sounds cool, but it seems like it's better for me to wait the month and get the 2 year discount (350) instead of the trade-in (100). Right? (I'm on EPRP too.)

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

that one guy posted:

That sounds cool, but it seems like it's better for me to wait the month and get the 2 year discount (350) instead of the trade-in (100). Right? (I'm on EPRP too.)
You can get both.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
How? I am not eligible for the upgrade until June 1st, but I have to buy the HTC One this weekend to get the $100 rebate.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Call care, see if they're still offering contract buyouts. May cost you $100 or something, but in the end it would be a net wash with the $100 off. Not a bad deal if you can get it to work.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Doesn't really seem worth spending extra time and energy for no benefit (the phone a few weeks early?), if that's what it means to do both. I do appreciate the heads-up about the offer though. I think I am leaning in the direction of the HTC One over the S4...50 less bucks (plus tax)...and from what I'm reading they are both really close in performance...either would be a huge upgrade from my Evo.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

that one guy posted:

Doesn't really seem worth spending extra time and energy for no benefit (the phone a few weeks early?), if that's what it means to do both. I do appreciate the heads-up about the offer though. I think I am leaning in the direction of the HTC One over the S4...50 less bucks (plus tax)...and from what I'm reading they are both really close in performance...either would be a huge upgrade from my Evo.

I opted for the S4 over the One because I don't care about my phone being a boombox, and it's an upgrade from my Epic 4G, which is kinda comparable to an OG Evo. It being a huge upgrade is a massive understatement, even having the Epic modded to hell and back.

Hell, the S4 is a pretty big upgrade from my Transformer TF300, and that just came out last year.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I'm reading inconsistent reports on the One's battery life. One of my biggest problems with the Evo is the terrible battery life. I don't want a repeat. anyone able to share their experience with the One's battery?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

that one guy posted:

I'm reading inconsistent reports on the One's battery life. One of my biggest problems with the Evo is the terrible battery life. I don't want a repeat. anyone able to share their experience with the One's battery?

Mine lasts a full day pretty easily. Yesterday, I forgot to plug it in when I went to bed, and it still wasn't fully drained when I woke up.

If you're worried about it, carry one of these around with you:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_id=9283&seq=1&format=2

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 5, 2013

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

that one guy posted:

The building where I work is rough on batteries. My Evo 3d would be on deaths door after extremely light use throughout the work day. My One still has plenty of life left after pretty heavy use. Like 40% range.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm on the $30/month SERO plan with an ancient feature phone (Sanyo SCP-7050).

It would be nice to have a phone with a camera and ability to watch video, but I have stuck with this phone because it allows me to force roaming. I HAVE to keep this feature because (in my experience) Sprint programs their phones to stay on a completely unusable, even for texting, home tower when there is a good Verizon/Alltel tower available. I work in rural areas where I have to force roaming regularly. Yes I have updated my phone, etc. It is the same areas that I have had this issue in for 6 years. Switching to ATT is not really an option for me because they have crap service at my home, and I don't want to pay for Verizon, I like the features I have at the SERO price level.

So question - newer more capable feature phones have lost the ability to force roaming, correct? Have they gotten any better with the threshold at which they will automatically switch to roaming, because if not they are useless to me? Any suggestions on a phone that would work for me? I like flip phones. Don't need a keyboard, I'm a T9 expert.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

angryrobots posted:

I'm on the $30/month SERO plan with an ancient feature phone (Sanyo SCP-7050).

{snip}

So question - newer more capable feature phones have lost the ability to force roaming, correct? Have they gotten any better with the threshold at which they will automatically switch to roaming, because if not they are useless to me? Any suggestions on a phone that would work for me? I like flip phones. Don't need a keyboard, I'm a T9 expert.

I don't know much about the current selection of feature phones, but have you considered upgrading to $50/month SERO Premium and a Galaxy Nexus? You can use the 3rd party Sprint Diagnostics tool to quickly switch between a roaming-only PRL and the standard Sprint PRL. It is a more expensive plan and a more complicated phone, but it does meet your requirement of being able to force roaming when you need it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oh nice with the diagnostics tool. That should be in the OP, if I didn't miss it.

I don't mind paying the $50/month but I really like a phone that fits in my pocket and isn't fragile. My work can be hazardous to fancy technology.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

angryrobots posted:

Oh nice with the diagnostics tool. That should be in the OP, if I didn't miss it.

I don't mind paying the $50/month but I really like a phone that fits in my pocket and isn't fragile. My work can be hazardous to fancy technology.

You could opt for one of the smaller Android phones (I am hearing some rumors of a smaller Nexus 4 being debuted at Google I/O) and wrap it in an Otterbox.

The more durable otterbox cases don't get enough love for making a phone indestructible, though any of the gel-shell combo cases do the trick. If the thickness of that clamshell doesn't get to you, a nice durable shell on a smartphone shouldn't bug you unless you've got rather shallow pockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

angryrobots posted:

I should add that it only works on the Sprint Galaxy Nexus and only if you've flashed a custom ROM.