Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
You can get drops that are better than defiant from random nameds in Oceangreen village/hills and bloody kithicor. The speed that you go through the upper mid levels does make putting a lot of effort into post defiant, pre HoT gear not worth a lot of effort though. There are also pieces from hills of shade nameds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
You can also skip the HoT T1 armor grind for the most part and just get Terror Infused Linked Chain. It's all/all and pretty equivalent to HoT T1.

Also, whoever said you'd want to be 91 to start doing HoT T2 stuff, not really. You can handle HoT T1 and T2 at 85 with full HoT T1 gear without *too* much trouble, although that does depend on what your box team consists of.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Flarestar and I did the entire prog line start to finish with just a couple of recoverable screwups and all we had was Kodaji, his bard, and his cleric. You can definitely 3box your way through HoT starting at 85 as long as your tank has the AA to handle it and is in the purchaseable T1 gear. It's pretty good practice for later, actually, since once you're out of HoT everything is suddenly REALLY hard.

FWIW skip VoA as much as is possible. I can technically tank every group mob meant to be tanked at this point, but some of the VoA nameds are still harder even at 100 than the new T3 RoF nameds are. VoA is hellishly not at all easy and will probably piss you off, whereas RoF's difficulty is just about perfect IMO. A 3box of 92s in the 92 gear can easily start RoF's first zone, nameds included. That same 3box will get eaten alive in VoA T2+ so just skip the whole drat expansion and go back later for augs or whatever

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
VoA stuff is all about "Do you have a warrior tanking?" If the answer is no, named will eat you the gently caress alive. Tier 1 and 2 aren't that bad, but tier 3 and 4 are goddamn brutal if you're the correct level/gear for the expansion.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That's a huge portion of the problem, which is funny since RoF totally reverses those roles. I'm a firm believer that all 3 tank classes should be equally capable of group content, but warriors should be Main Tanking raids while the knights kite/offtank/utility. Instead, VoA meant for most groups, you weren't killing an upper tier named with an SK tanking but could with a warrior fine. Now RoF has given knights so goddamn many tools that warriors are falling apart.

New T3 Knight disc was huge and I feel terrible for warriors. We officially have Dagarn on permafarm and just dropped Sevalak - every kill has been tanked by a Knight. Our first NToV kill ever on Dagarn started with me hitting deflection, running in and cornering him properly, then having a warrior mosey up and taunt off of me once it was positioned properly and fire up Final Stand. He died in 2 rounds, I snagged mob again, hit SK discs, tanked til dead. We used a pally on Sev with similar results. Warriors are having a really bad time right now since both knights have 35-36% mitigation(Final Stand is 45%) + heals/taps for twice as long per character as wars get their Final Stand with no ability to manage their own damage intake/healing. The only real question in modern raids is "Can you survive a round + an AE timed badly" as far as tanking goes. Knights now have enough mitigation to totally survive the melee as well as a War (Wars still take less damage overall, but the difference isn't going to mean a dead knight) and we come with lifetaps/heals(gently caress you splash) to blunt the extraneous damage from non-melee rounds

Admittedly both our warriors are goddamn TERRIBLE and honestly should've been fine, but still, the gap is so close after T3 that you can go hit the official forums and see thread after thread of warriors crying because they're in such horrible shape right now and guilds are all recruiting Paladins instead.

I really wish they'd just find a nice balance and quit seesawing between warriors being required to do pretty much everything one expansion, then knights being indestructible murder machines the next. I still really wish I were a Paladin instead of SK, but I'm sure as hell glad right now that I'm not a warrior, cause those poor bitches :( They really are an extremely whiny class, but currently I probably would be, too. I love my SK and loved him even when SKs were really poo poo, but I'm first to admit I currently Main Tank far too well and Paladins do it even better.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Hey Kodaji, could you hook me up with the Shawl 3.0 stuff at your earliest convenience? I have caught you online in a bit and I am currently getting close to finishing the 6th quest of the 2.0. Thanks man.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MrTheDevious posted:

Admittedly both our warriors are goddamn TERRIBLE and honestly should've been fine, but still, the gap is so close after T3 that you can go hit the official forums and see thread after thread of warriors crying because they're in such horrible shape right now and guilds are all recruiting Paladins instead.

All your warriors being terrible isn't the class's fault. It's their fault and your guild's fault for not either removing them or making them learn how to play everquest. Just because your class doesn't have spells doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of depth and the need to know how and when to use a bunch of different AAs, discs and clickies.

It's not that warriors are bad raid tanks, they are fine tanks. They just don't bring anything else to the table for raids. And in the group game, knights self healing negates far more damage than warrior's mitigation.

Most EQ players are just bad, some classes cover that a little better than others. I would be surprised if there's more than 5 other druids serverwide who can match my burn parses and also be able to keep a group alive on the rest of the event. Finding any paladin that functions at even 40% of the class's potential is HARD.

You can play eq at a herp a derp level, but the people who put effort into things will easily be 2-4x better.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

By the way, how did those promises of huge Monk buffs materialize with the latest patch?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Quite well. Our monks have been doing fine in parses since then.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've found the joys of AFK leveling with my mercs. It's nice to wake up to 30 AA's every morning with no effort. I wish you could bank more than 30 though :(

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

RCarr posted:

I've found the joys of AFK leveling with my mercs. It's nice to wake up to 30 AA's every morning with no effort. I wish you could bank more than 30 though :(

I've done this a couple of times to level up a character, get them up to 62, throw them in a group with my bard/shm/mage and their J5 healer/tank mercs, run out to like loping plains or something, perma-invis them off to the side a little, park the group in the middle of a camp and let the mercs/pets kill all night. Last time I did this was my enchanter who was 77/probably way over the 30AA cap the next day :)

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Did they make a change to VOA since launch? For a month or two after VOA came out me and a few friends did all the group content up to t4 with a warrior merc.

Our group didn't even have that great of classes, Beastlord, Shaman, Zerker, Warrior Merc, Cleric and me as a lovely SK who was trying to get the AAs and gear needed to tank for us.

When we were doing T4 VOA content I was able to tank T2-T3 content with the SK. I remember tanking the King in the sewers area of Resplended Temple, that was a hard rear end fight but a lot of fun.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Clinton1011 posted:

Did they make a change to VOA since launch? For a month or two after VOA came out me and a few friends did all the group content up to t4 with a warrior merc.

Our group didn't even have that great of classes, Beastlord, Shaman, Zerker, Warrior Merc, Cleric and me as a lovely SK who was trying to get the AAs and gear needed to tank for us.

When we were doing T4 VOA content I was able to tank T2-T3 content with the SK. I remember tanking the King in the sewers area of Resplended Temple, that was a hard rear end fight but a lot of fun.

They havent made any tuning changes, its just that for newer characters that may be working their way up through gear and aa's VOA has a big ramp up in terms of named HP and 10k+ hitters vs. previous content. And T3 is a big step up from T1-2. I used to 3 box T1-2 nameds easily but would struggle mightily on T3-4 nameds with my crew. I did take down a named in COB once, one of the named animals in the field around the city, my crew is a 95 necro sham and bard all with 3000+ aa's. Merc tank held up till the end and died, everyone else died then I hit embalmers on necro and finished it off :sun:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 2, 2013

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Clinton1011 posted:

It was easy because it sounds like you were 4-5 actual people. Soon as you try to box named in VoA it becomes quite a challenge with all the triggers and debuffs that get thrown around.

As an example that King fight boxing is an absolute nightmare. Tons of AoE heals needed, knockbacks, pulls forward etc.. make it such a pain trying to "solo" it but with an actual group of people all that stuff is pretty trivial.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Yeah, last time me and my buds played we did the AFK merc grind as well in the Hole at the temple for a few weeks. We did this to gain levels and then AA when we hit like lv68 or 69. The problem was that this place was such a popular leveling and AA spot that we would get trained from time to time. And the funny thing is, that when we returned, there would be another set of toons doing the exact same thing we were doing, AFK merc grinding.

The best way was actually taking shifts and pulling trains down there. One of us would play the monk, go pull a huge train, and bring it back to the camp where the mercs would take care of them all. We had a tank, cleric and a rougue merc. We were getting massive amounts of exp down there. Then in a few hours someone else would log on and he would do this for a while, etc...

Peechka fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 2, 2013

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Malt posted:

It was easy because it sounds like you were 4-5 actual people.

K, that makes sense. Yea only 1 person boxed and that was the shaman/zerker.

Did the eq players thing get removed? I just tried to find it to look up my character to see what kind of gear I was wearing but couldn't find that page on everquest.com I thought it was eqplayers.com.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That's been gone for a long time. Magelo is still active though.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jetz0r posted:

All your warriors being terrible isn't the class's fault. It's their fault and your guild's fault for not either removing them or making them learn how to play everquest. Just because your class doesn't have spells doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of depth and the need to know how and when to use a bunch of different AAs, discs and clickies.

It's not that warriors are bad raid tanks, they are fine tanks. They just don't bring anything else to the table for raids. And in the group game, knights self healing negates far more damage than warrior's mitigation.

I think you forgot again that I'm on Test server and you're in the #1 guild gamewide. It's either we use the two lovely warriors we have, or we have no warriors at all and 2 more empty spots on raids. We just use em as speed bumps now.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

I think you forgot again that I'm on Test server and you're in the #1 guild gamewide. It's either we use the two lovely warriors we have, or we have no warriors at all and 2 more empty spots on raids. We just use em as speed bumps now.

It's not like I've been in RoI for my whole EQ career. I have been in other guilds and pickup groups.

I was talking more about the type of player won't try to get better or learn the intricacies of their class. Someone who is willing to learn can be taught to be better, those aren't willing to learn are completely loving useless.

Of course, raid tanking isn't as restricted to warriors as it used to be. Same for healing and clerics. So guild aren't as stuck with shitlords because of class anymore.

Goondolences again on your attempts to raid on Test without two full fellowships worth of people.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Is the illusion trick for robes while using old models gone? I've been able to get it to work with efreeti armor, but with a robe all I get is a naked chest graphic.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

DKWildz posted:

Is the illusion trick for robes while using old models gone? I've been able to get it to work with efreeti armor, but with a robe all I get is a naked chest graphic.

Certain races don't have any type of robe graphic, so you get the missing graphic.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Are there any alternatives to ISBoxer that don't cost money? I can manually box two toons if needed, that's not too difficult, but using boxing software would be nice. But gently caress a sub fee :P

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Is it just me or is the Breeding Grounds absolutely the worst zone in the game (if not the game, at least the RoF expansion)? I've been trying to work my way through the partisan tasks for each of the RoF zones and I've been astounded how many times I've died there. I wasn't sure if it was because this was the first tier 2 zone I've tried or if the zone was naturally lovely. Between the narrow rear end tunnels, the dragon egg agro, and all the general layout of the zone itself I might just skip it entirely.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

funzo2226 posted:

Is it just me or is the Breeding Grounds absolutely the worst zone in the game (if not the game, at least the RoF expansion)? I've been trying to work my way through the partisan tasks for each of the RoF zones and I've been astounded how many times I've died there. I wasn't sure if it was because this was the first tier 2 zone I've tried or if the zone was naturally lovely. Between the narrow rear end tunnels, the dragon egg agro, and all the general layout of the zone itself I might just skip it entirely.

The other Tier 2 zones aren't as nearly as bad, although some have lesser annoyances. Grelleth's is the easiest though, so you may want to start T2 there.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

MrTheDevious posted:

I went from a mid-tier guild on Xegony to a high end guild on Luclin and the difference between the warriors was ridiculous. Mid-tier guild was in T3 VOA at the time and high end was farming T4 VOA, so gear wasn't that different.

To be fair, I went from crushing everyone on a parse to actually having to work to make the top 10 on the parse.

It really has a lot more to do with the player than the class in EQ.

PS: Contrary to what Jetz0r says, stay the gently caress out of the mid-tier guild on Xegony. They are awful and only useful to gear yourself up to make a move to a high end guild.

edit: they are awful because you spend about 25% of your night actually raiding, 75% sitting around waiting for a target/direction and/or the guild arguing amongst themselves. They are extremely cliquey, don't group often with other people outside of their box set up, and are carried by about 10 people. The rest are just along for the ride and don't pay attention. Their roster has dwindled down, a lot of the good players left around the time I left. Also, they didn't enforce a mandatory teamspeak/mumble rule for raiding. If you're serious about raiding and a guild doesn't have this, you should look elsewhere.

I hate yankees fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 4, 2013

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

I hate yankees posted:

PS: Contrary to what Jetz0r says, stay the gently caress out of the mid-tier guild on Xegony. They are awful and only useful to gear yourself up to make a move to a high end guild.

edit: they are awful because you spend about 25% of your night actually raiding, 75% sitting around waiting for a target/direction and/or the guild arguing amongst themselves. They are extremely cliquey, don't group often with other people outside of their box set up, and are carried by about 10 people. The rest are just along for the ride and don't pay attention. Their roster has dwindled down, a lot of the good players left around the time I left. Also, they didn't enforce a mandatory teamspeak/mumble rule for raiding. If you're serious about raiding and a guild doesn't have this, you should look elsewhere.

Mid tier everywhere is awful. If you're talking about angry bunnies, they are especially awful. We had an entertaining feed coming from their DKP bidding for the super rare drop aggro proc item from a RoF raid (think Symbol of the Planesmaster upgrade). An Enchanter won it. Luckily they figured out that was stupid and ran another bid for is. This time a Rogue won it. That was also stupid, so they ran another. A Berserker won it this time, ALSO stupid. So they ran ANOTHER bid for it and blocked all the non-warriors (non-tanks?) from it so a warrior could finally win it. We finished two raids while hearing about this.

The mid-tier guild I was in used dkp with pre-set prices. So loot at least went really fast, take tells for an item, dump in to web app, highest DKP gets item, go to next item.

I was trying to pimp Xegony cause people keep joining random servers where I can't help out with stuff and just chat with them via serverwide.

I hate yankees posted:

I went from a mid-tier guild on Xegony to a high end guild on Luclin and the difference between the warriors was ridiculous. Mid-tier guild was in T3 VOA at the time and high end was farming T4 VOA, so gear wasn't that different.

To be fair, I went from crushing everyone on a parse to actually having to work to make the top 10 on the parse.

It really has a lot more to do with the player than the class in EQ.

When I moved servers to join RoI, I got to compare parses from my old guild to the players in RoI. Except for one class and one other player, RoI people were doing roughly twice as much DPS as the people in my old guild. Roughly all the same gear since we had been in t4 for a while. But pure playskill is having one guild do 60% of the dps of the other.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

What web app did you use? We're doing everything manually because people are loving stupid and it takes forever. Also we just swapped to non-silent auctions in guild chat and loot's been hilarious ever since watching people who don't like one another jack DKP through the roof on poo poo they don't even want just to make someone else pay through the nose.

FWIW raiding on Test is kinda fun since finally winning a new event feels baller as hell for the 10 of us carrying everyone else.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

The337th posted:

Certain races don't have any type of robe graphic, so you get the missing graphic.

Well I know human is not one of those races. It works with Luclin models, but not old ones. Oh well :(

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

jetz0r posted:

If you're talking about angry bunnies, they are especially awful. We had an entertaining feed coming from their DKP bidding for the super rare drop aggro proc item from a RoF raid (think Symbol of the Planesmaster upgrade). An Enchanter won it. Luckily they figured out that was stupid and ran another bid for is. This time a Rogue won it. That was also stupid, so they ran another. A Berserker won it this time, ALSO stupid. So they ran ANOTHER bid for it and blocked all the non-warriors (non-tanks?) from it so a warrior could finally win it. We finished two raids while hearing about this.

Yep, that's them and that seems about normal. A ranger outbid a rogue for a dagger when VOA came out, so said rogue outbid the rangers for a bow and it sat in his house. The officers took the position of "anyone can bid on anything they want" instead of stepping in and saying "that's dumb, don't do that to a class that primarily uses daggers"

I have a lot of stories from that guild.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
...lol. Nothing like a guild where everyone hates each other.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

I hate yankees posted:

I have a lot of stories from that guild.

Did you move from IL to IL?

I knew that IL was terrible from before I was even on Xegony. My old guild got a string of cross-server apps from them, and each one was dog poo poo.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

OK I'm finally done moving and poo poo, everybody who needed Shawl items send me an in-game mail on Kodaji and I'll fire em over...too lazy to reread the last 3 or 4 pages to remember who all wanted em

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

MrTheDevious posted:

OK I'm finally done moving and poo poo, everybody who needed Shawl items send me an in-game mail on Kodaji and I'll fire em over...too lazy to reread the last 3 or 4 pages to remember who all wanted em

Speaking of shawl quests, if you get to the Honoring the Elements part of the 2.0 you are going to need a key to get into the room just north of the Quest NPC in Brell's Temple. Since it's just a door I think I can just pop in and open it for you if I am on. This will save you doing Brells Temple progression. Also I have some enchanted cosgrite bars if anyone needs em. Those things were super hard to get made. I had to make a necro and then level research to make the spell and have a Zebiss alt cast it for me.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

If any of you get to the smithing group mission portion of the shawl 3.0, task add anyone else working on the 3.0 and it will flag them to skip to the final step. Assuming this isn't fixed on test/live already since it's been posted about on eqlive for a while.

But even if it doesn't work, there's only a couple drops that weren't in the shawl bags that were copied over, so those should be super fast quests for you guys.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
How tough are the new ornamentation quests?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

xZAOx posted:

How tough are the new ornamentation quests?

Not tough, but pretty annoying with all the running around you have to do.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

jetz0r posted:

Did you move from IL to IL?

I knew that IL was terrible from before I was even on Xegony. My old guild got a string of cross-server apps from them, and each one was dog poo poo.

Yes, I did. Do you remember any of their names by any chance? When I left most of my group either quit or went to high end guilds.

The thing that pushed me over the edge was how the guild leader catered to older members who were awful. There was a husband/wife combo who played a necromancer and wizard and they were complete garbage. They absolutely hated anyone new to the guild who was better than them. The guild had an influx of pretty decent players and the guild leader gave them leadership positions (class leader, raid leader) and that absolutely pissed the husband and wife to no end. The good players all ended up leaving or ended up raiding at the bare minimum within a month.

One night our RL at the time, had the audacity to suggest we do on-time DKP for those already in the instance instead of the usual raid dump for who is online in the raid. The husband and wife flipped their poo poo so much about it the RL basically threw up his hands and stopped leading raids.

The next RL was a SK who was also absolute garbage. At the time in the guild there was a "primary" melee group for the good players. He thought it was a good idea to split that group up and I ended up in a group with 4 rangers. After wiping on Valley all 5 of us from the primary melee group dropped the raid and either logged off or watched and laughed at them as they wiped two more times in Valley. We were farming the CoB and T3 at that time. This guy was such a mess in real life as well and it bled over into guild drama.

As far as recruiting, we needed more bards, rogues, clerics, beastlords, and beserkers. In a span of one week, they invited I believe 3 mages and a ranger. The ranger I get, he was pretty decent but we already had 4 regular rangers. The app mages brought our total to 5. On a parse, I don't think I ever saw a mage break 25k.

If you brought up the thought of mandatory team speak the older guild members would flip their poo poo because they didn't want to listen to all the "noise", even though the officer who ran it said I will put the channel on broadcast only mode so only officers and RLs can speak. When I transferred and went on my first raid, I logged in team speak and everyone was in it and having a good time and when the raid started everyone stopped talking except for the RL and officers. I never understood their issues with voice chat - it makes raids much easier.

As far as being on Xegony with that tag, it was always assumed I was a poo poo player until I was able to have individual interactions with members of MS and ROI. I don't blame them for making assumptions like that.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

xZAOx posted:

...lol. Nothing like a guild where everyone hates each other.

sounds like ascending fearboners!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

JohnnyTreachery posted:

sounds like ascending fearboners!

Hell no we just hated EVERYONE else and had the best of times. Still the most fun few months I've ever had in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

I was talking more about the type of player won't try to get better or learn the intricacies of their class. Someone who is willing to learn can be taught to be better, those aren't willing to learn are completely loving useless.

I'm trying to do this in the invite raids. Talking to paladins I've known for a long time in the serverwide.paladins chat about spell loadout, etc. I definitely want to be more useful than just someone who tags along for loot, autoattacks, and maybe tosses a heal every five minutes if their hands aren't deep in a bag of cheetohs.

The last time I raided was Rallos Zek the Warlord in Planes of Power. Things sure have changed. There are a lot of new buttons to push, lots of situations in which to use them, and not to use them. I'll say though, it's weird, as a paladin, being relegated to what amounts to a priest.

I hope I get to be the murderer on Thursday :madmax:. I got close last time!

Node fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 8, 2013