Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

scary ghost dog posted:

I disagree with this, and think that Jurassic Park is a thousand times better as a movie than as a book. The book's fine, it's good, but the movie is transcendant. It's one of the best movies ever made.

I still get chills when they're flying to the island and the main fanfare kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

I disagree with this, and think that Jurassic Park is a thousand times better as a movie than as a book. The book's fine, it's good, but the movie is transcendant. It's one of the best movies ever made.

That's actually what I was trying to (badly) get at: read the book first because if you read it after watching the movie, it will be a letdown. A bigger advantage to reading the book first though is that literature is better than film for explaining background information, and coming into the theater with that knowledge allows for greater appreciation of those subtle moments.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I went to go see Oblivion the other day, and something cool I noticed was its use of color.

White is generally the color of the bad guys, and as Jack gets further and further removed from the Tet, his originally white uniform gets darker and more stained, being almost blackened with dirt by the end. As well, the resistance dresses in all black for their combat uniforms. I don't know how subtle it's supposed to be, but it's something I kinda noticed by the end of the film.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

S-Alpha posted:

I went to go see Oblivion the other day, and something cool I noticed was its use of color.

White is generally the color of the bad guys, and as Jack gets further and further removed from the Tet, his originally white uniform gets darker and more stained, being almost blackened with dirt by the end. As well, the resistance dresses in all black for their combat uniforms. I don't know how subtle it's supposed to be, but it's something I kinda noticed by the end of the film.

The first Silent Hill movie does something similar: from, I think beige, to blood red/covered in blood.

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world
IIRC, they used 30 versions of her outfit so the transition would be slow enough. So much wasted potential and unecessary Sean Bean in that movie.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cowboy Mark posted:

In Hot Fuzz there's a brief shot at the faire of the policewoman played by Olivia Colman flanked by two gentlemen stood in front of a pig on a spit roast where she's heard to remark (paraphrased) "Maybe after a couple of pints!".

Both "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" are full of jokes that I still catch for the first time the sixth or seventh time around. I never heard the above joke before and now I have to go find it.

Please let "The End of the World" be good...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CobiWann posted:

Both "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" are full of jokes that I still catch for the first time the sixth or seventh time around. I never heard the above joke before and now I have to go find it.

Please let "The End of the World" be good...

I'm just happy we're for sure getting The World's End stateside. Hot Fuzz was a maybe for the longest time. But really a disaster movie written by those guys? It's bound to be fantastic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Preemptive subtle moment for The World's End: the list of pubs on the teaser poster outlines the plot of the movie.

Let's come back here in a few months and see if I'm not right.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Preemptive subtle moment for The World's End: the list of pubs on the teaser poster outlines the plot of the movie.

Let's come back here in a few months and see if I'm not right.

I'm pretty sure that Edgar Wright has already said that's the case when he released the poster.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Still right :colbert:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Closet Cyborg posted:

IIRC, they used 30 versions of her outfit so the transition would be slow enough. So much wasted potential and unecessary Sean Bean in that movie.

There is never unnecessary Sean Bean. He always is essential.

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

It's a silly one but in the Evil Dead remake theres a little cameo by the oldsmobile from the original.

Raimi includes that car in all of his movies.

quote:

Raimi has included a 1973 yellow Oldsmobile Delta 88 automobile (nicknamed "The Classic") in every film including The Quick and the Dead ("Somewhere...somewhere hidden. Only I know. I'll never tell"). Bruce Campbell, at Comic-con 2005, revealed that a special covered wagon frame had covered the vehicle to maintain the motif of the film. The yellow Oldsmobile also appeared in Drag Me to Hell, driven by the elderly gypsy woman. A bottle of Maker's Mark also appears regularly in his movies. The Classic does not appear in the final cut of For Love of the Game, however. The scene in which it appeared was removed during the editing process.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Cowboy Mark posted:

A present for you:

http://download.theforce.net/theater/batman-deadend/Batman_Dead_End_Full_Screen.mpg [165M]

Edit for content:

In Hot Fuzz there's a brief shot at the faire of the policewoman played by Olivia Colman flanked by two gentlemen stood in front of a pig on a spit roast where she's heard to remark (paraphrased) "Maybe after a couple of pints!".

She's a police officer.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
All though it's not the magnum opus of television shows.( and it's also not a movie) The Pokemon cartoon had a lot of little scenes based on the lore they built around certain Pokemon. For instance, in one of the games it is stated that if the light on Charmander's tail somehow goes out then he will die. ( I think it is also stated somewhere in the show like once.) Cue every single time Charmander is near the water his tail is either out of the water, or he is protecting it with his hands. Just a really little detail that really shows the animators commitment to world building.

Also, at some point a bunch of kids are out in a field or something asking questions to this one kid on a treadmill, about the Pokemon Pidgey. At some point they ask him what level Pidgey learns certain moves at and the kid names them off. It's just a neat little throwback to the video game, and fun because the kid names off the correct levels that he would learn the moves in the game. (Of course I have no idea if this scene exists in the original, as I only ever watched the english version everyone else watched.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
In One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, there's a scene that makes a big deal about how many of the patients are voluntary and not committed as McMurphy is. At the end, chief breaks out of the institution by lifting the sink that McMurphy had earlier tried to lift but couldn't and smashes his way out.

Neither the book nor the film ever establish if Chief was voluntary or committed. It's a subtle moment, one I didn't ponder for years, but an important distinction. I like the ending better believing that Chief could have walked out the front door any time he wanted but chose to lift the sink instead.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Commitment, okay, but I also imagine the sort of complaint e-mails you get when you get something wrong on the Pokemon show is nothing short of astounding.

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

I am the Master, you will obey me...

Law posted:

She's a police officer.

Yeah but the joke is that shes a slapper.

EchoPrima
Oct 17, 2012

Okay so I'm immortal but other than that I've basically got fuck all going for me!
Not a movie but Game of thrones has a lot of subtle and not so subtle imagery, so here's a few from the first two seasons.

In season one the Starks come across a dead stag and a dead direwolf, the direwolf's pups however are all alive and are equal in amount to the number of Stark children. The dead stag is foreshadowing the death of Robert Baratheon, the House Baratheon sigil being the stag and the dead direwolf for Ned Stark, the direwolf being House Starks sigil.
The first time Tywin Lannister is shown on screen he is gutting and skinning a stag.
Also in relation to Tywin Lannister, in the build up to the battle of Blackwater bay in season 2, Bronn and some other men are singing the Rains of Castamere. A song written about Tywin obliterating the rebellious house Reyne, foreshadowing Tywin's arrival at King's Landing and his crushing victory over Stannis Baratheon.
Another great one is regarding the house Frey and will have spoilers for future episodes. The Freys sigil are the twin castles and a bridge, so two castles and a crossing. Double crossing. They double cross Robb at the red wedding.

EchoPrima has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Apr 30, 2013

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

EchoPrima posted:

Not a movie but Game of thrones has a lot of subtle and not so subtle imagery, so here's a few from the first two seasons.

In season one the Starks come across a dead stag and a dead direwolf, the direwolf's pups however are all alive and are equal in amount to the number of Stark children. The dead stag is foreshadowing the death of Robert Baratheon, the House Baratheon sigil being the stag and the dead direwolf for Ned Stark, the direwolf being House Starks sigil.
The first time Tywin Lannister is shown on screen he is gutting and skinning a stag.
Also in relation to Tywin Lannister, in the build up to the battle of Blackwater bay in season 2, Bronn and some other men are singing the Rains of Castamere. A song written about Tywin obliterating the rebellious house Reyne, foreshadowing Tywin's arrival at King's Landing and his crushing victory over Stannis Baratheon.
Another great one is regarding the house Frey and will have spoiler tags. The Freys sigil are the twin castles and a bridge, so two castles and a crossing. Double crossing. They double cross Robb at the red wedding.

You should edit those spoilers to convey that they report some events that have not yet happened in the series.

Edit: specially since you say you're speaking about season one and two...

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind starts with Jim Carrey waking up in bed and staring in confusion at his body. What's actually going on is that he's wearing an unfamiliar set of pajamas, having destroyed his previous pajamas because they remind him of Clementine. He purchased these new pajamas just before having his memory erased, and so he doesn't recognize them.

And this is more of a "tiny animation detail," but in Pixar's Brave, during the archery contest when Merida splits the arrow, the arrow she fires leaves a tiny scratch on her cheek, which persists into the next shot.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

Jimson posted:

pokey-mans

If you want awesome little details in animated television, every background use of text in Avatar: The Last Airbender actually translates to something coherent and makes sense. Most cartoons don't do this with English, let alone two or three forms of Chinese.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

EchoPrima posted:

My favorite part about this scene is that the actor is actually skinning a real deer there. No fancy camera or special effects there, just a man, his knife and a stag.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Charles Dance is just that awesome an actor.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

In the most recent Game of Thrones episode, King's Landing seems to have a lot more flowers growing on the walls.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Not necessarily subtle but something I just picked up today: the opening scenes of Watchmen have a montage showing the early days of the Minutemen and Watchmen set to The Times They Are A Changing.
In the very first shot, we see this:

Nite Owl punching out a gunman at the Gotham Opera House in front of a terrified wealthy couple sneaking out the stage door with an advertisement for Fledermaus in the background. On the other side of Nite Owl, we see adverts for Batman placing the film in a universe where Batman exists as a fictional character, but preventing an actual instance of Batman from existing.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

relax-o-vision posted:

And this is more of a "tiny animation detail," but in Pixar's Brave, during the archery contest when Merida splits the arrow, the arrow she fires leaves a tiny scratch on her cheek, which persists into the next shot.

This reminds me of Princess Mononoke. Ashitaka gets a cut on his cheek that also puts a small slice in his hood. The cut heals but there is a mark for the rest of the film. After Ashitaka recovers from the other injuries he sustain in the cheek-cutting encounter, he finds his clothes folded and waiting for him. The cut in the hood has now been sewn, presumably by San, who was the one responsible for the cut.

It's a minor but more personal addition to the fact that she brought him to the forest spirit to heal his injuries.

obsolete absolution
Oct 9, 2007
forgiveness is meaningless

EchoPrima posted:

Another great one is regarding the house Frey and will have spoilers for future episodes. The Freys sigil are the twin castles and a bridge, so two castles and a crossing. Double crossing. They double cross Robb at the red wedding.

I thought some of the most subtle and brilliant foreshadowing about that is the fact that it rains every moment of the journey to the Twins. When the Red Wedding gets underway, what's the band playing? Why, The Rains of Castamere, of course. I had to put the book down for a moment because it was so well done, and I'm curious how the pacing is going to work out with the show.

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world

BiggerBoat posted:

In One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, there's a scene that makes a big deal about how many of the patients are voluntary and not committed as McMurphy is. At the end, chief breaks out of the institution by lifting the sink that McMurphy had earlier tried to lift but couldn't and smashes his way out.

Neither the book nor the film ever establish if Chief was voluntary or committed. It's a subtle moment, one I didn't ponder for years, but an important distinction. I like the ending better believing that Chief could have walked out the front door any time he wanted but chose to lift the sink instead.

It's never directly stated, but in the book he's an unhinged paranoid-schizophrenic, so it's pretty likely that he was involuntarily committed.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Polaron posted:

Clu was using those balls to control the gravity in the arena.

Anyway, I recently rewatched Stranger Than Fiction (incredibly underrated film, easily Will Ferrell's best) and caught something I somehow managed to miss the other nine or ten times I've seen it. The main plot is that the main character, Harold (Ferrell), suddenly begins hearing a woman's voice narrating his life. He's hearing a well-known author writing a story that just so happens to be, well, his life. The thing is, she's famous for writing books where the main character dies. They meet, there is much drama, and she rewrites things at the last second so his watch is destroyed and that saves his life.

Thing is, throughout the narration you hear just as much about what his wristwatch, which is this awesome super-elaborate thing, thinks about situations as you do about Harold, and the watch actively takes part in moving the romance plot along. The watch was the main character of the story the whole time, and Harold has been, in reality, hearing the narration from the rewritten manuscript in which he survives.

Did gravity just suddenly get really strong for anyone else for a minute there? My jaw just loving hit the floor.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nth Doctor posted:

Not necessarily subtle but something I just picked up today: the opening scenes of Watchmen have a montage showing the early days of the Minutemen and Watchmen set to The Times They Are A Changing.

Nite Owl punching out a gunman at the Gotham Opera House in front of a terrified wealthy couple sneaking out the stage door with an advertisement for Fledermaus in the background. On the other side of Nite Owl, we see adverts for Batman placing the film in a universe where Batman exists as a fictional character, but preventing an actual instance of Batman from existing.

That's a great catch.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Nth Doctor posted:

OK, I'm pretty sure I recognized the gunman accosting a family outside a theater before, but the Fledermaus and Batman ads are new. Very cool.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

One little thing I noticed in A Scanner Darkly was that when the psychologists test Bob Arctor (Keanu Reeves) for drug-related brain damage, one of the tests is to blindfold him, then put an object in each hand and ask him if they're identical. The objects? tiny die-cast elephants.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just got back from an early showing of Iron Man 3, and there was a great little exchange with Tony and Rhodes (not really a spoiler)

Tony: I'm out of ammo, gimme a clip!
Rhodes: I don't have any.
Tony: I saw you grab, like, five clips!
Rhodes: Yeah, for MY gun. They're not universal, you know!

A nice little nod/acknowledgement to all the movies that do seem to treat all clips/magazines as universal.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just got back from an early showing of Iron Man 3, and there was a great little exchange with Tony and Rhodes (not really a spoiler)

Tony: I'm out of ammo, gimme a clip!
Rhodes: I don't have any.
Tony: I saw you grab, like, five clips!
Rhodes: Yeah, for MY gun. They're not universal, you know!

A nice little nod/acknowledgement to all the movies that do seem to treat all clips/magazines as universal.

I'd forgotten about that moment, but I love the idea of a (former) international weapons manufacturer who has no idea how conventional weapons work :3:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

OK, I'm pretty sure I recognized the gunman accosting a family outside a theater before, but the Fledermaus and Batman ads are new. Very cool.

The pearl necklace on 'Mrs. Wayne' is a nice touch too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Closet Cyborg posted:

It's never directly stated, but in the book he's an unhinged paranoid-schizophrenic, so it's pretty likely that he was involuntarily committed.

Really? I just remember that he was deaf and dumb but nothing about "unhinged paranoid-schizophrenic" but it's been a while since I read the book. I know in the movie, they never touch on it much either way. You're right though, the logical assumption is that he's committed just because no one know what to do with a 7 foot tall guy who can't read, write, hear or speak so that certainly makes sense.

I just wonder if it was kept open and unstated intentionally to allow for my preferred interpretation of the ending.

To contribute: I guess it's not subtle, but I always liked the way they labeled "Beer" and "Food" in Repo Man. There's a few subtle moments and call backs in that movie.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Really? I just remember that he was deaf and dumb but nothing about "unhinged paranoid-schizophrenic" but it's been a while since I read the book. I know in the movie, they never touch on it much either way. You're right though, the logical assumption is that he's committed just because no one know what to do with a 7 foot tall guy who can't read, write, hear or speak so that certainly makes sense.

I just wonder if it was kept open and unstated intentionally to allow for my preferred interpretation of the ending.

To contribute: I guess it's not subtle, but I always liked the way they labeled "Beer" and "Food" in Repo Man. There's a few subtle moments and call backs in that movie.

In the book he's not deaf and dumb, he pretends to be so THE MACHINE don't GET HIM. Which is kind of a metaphor for what's actually happening, with the book's theme of the nurse as part of the system grinding down the individual, but he literally believes she's a robot and has drawn out hallucinations of her and the orderliess turning into freaky machines and he's hiding by pretending to be deaf and dumb so they don't notice him so yeah he's loving bananas.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Magnus Manfist posted:

In the book he's not deaf and dumb, he pretends to be so THE MACHINE don't GET HIM. Which is kind of a metaphor for what's actually happening, with the book's theme of the nurse as part of the system grinding down the individual, but he literally believes she's a robot and has drawn out hallucinations of her and the orderliess turning into freaky machines and he's hiding by pretending to be deaf and dumb so they don't notice him so yeah he's loving bananas.

The book implies his schizophrenia is brought on by seeing his Native American father humiliated by the US government.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Big Grunty Secret posted:

The book implies his schizophrenia is brought on by seeing his Native American father humiliated by the US government.

I was gonna say, once you read about how Ken Kesey thought that mental illness literally did not exist and was just The Man keeping people down for being different it completely changes how you perceive the Chief's scizophrenic ramblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Nastyman posted:

I'd forgotten about that moment, but I love the idea of a (former) international weapons manufacturer who has no idea how conventional weapons work :3:

There was a pretty good scene in the first one when the convoy gets ambushed. Tony picks up a soldier's rifle and goes to shoot it, only for it to just click, and he throws it down in frustration.