Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amanasleep
May 21, 2008

The Crotch posted:

More than you know. I moved Santiago a few steps to the side for her shot. She had a perfect, unobstructed view of the thin man, and was even considered flanked by him, and yet...

Looks like dropping superimposed over your soldier resulted in him being permanently unflankable. I don't know if stepping one tile to the right would have helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

The Crotch posted:

Happened twice in one mission, but I couldn't screenshot the other one because he got gibbed by overwatch fire instantly. Thanks for the unavoidable poison!

As a side note, that number is consistent with an enemy mistakenly granted high cover.

Aim: 65 base
+ ~41 for 0-square range bonus (projected from https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak4bQY2TV98AdG9aeVVRR095T21RR1AzR1ZvZ1IxTVE#gid=0)
- 40 for high cover

= 66% to hit

I'm pretty sure I've seen this as well in cases where enemies either spawn or run into walls. I don't know why he'd get HIGH cover, given that he's standing next to 2 empty squares and 2 spaces of low cover, but :xcom:.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unrelated to the previous screenshots, I just started using Toolboks to get rid of voice acting, balance recruit genders, and a couple other seemingly minor things. Problem is, I checked off the "Skip Revealed Alien Cutscenes" option and didn't touch the "Revealed Aliens Move Only After Xcom Turn" setting, yet it seems like half the time, revealed enemies don't move at all. Is this a known issue or just me?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Willie Tomg posted:

God without trying XCOM writes better plots than just about every other game out there. There's a lesson in that somewhere that AAA devs will not learn, I'm sure.

Just quoting this for truth.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Edgecase posted:

As a side note, that number is consistent with an enemy mistakenly granted high cover.

Aim: 65 base
+ ~41 for 0-square range bonus (projected from https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak4bQY2TV98AdG9aeVVRR095T21RR1AzR1ZvZ1IxTVE#gid=0)
- 40 for high cover

= 66% to hit

I'm pretty sure I've seen this as well in cases where enemies either spawn or run into walls. I don't know why he'd get HIGH cover, given that he's standing next to 2 empty squares and 2 spaces of low cover, but :xcom:.

My question is how did the thin man come to be on top of the soldier? If he dropped down on top, was the soldier hunkered down? If so, I'm guessing the thin man "inherited" the defense from the soldier, who would've had the equivalent of high cover if hunkered down. Which would mean when hunkered down, it's not the SOLDIER that gets the bonus, but the square, which is a really odd way to do it.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Orgophlax posted:

My question is how did the thin man come to be on top of the soldier? If he dropped down on top, was the soldier hunkered down? If so, I'm guessing the thin man "inherited" the defense from the soldier, who would've had the equivalent of high cover if hunkered down. Which would mean when hunkered down, it's not the SOLDIER that gets the bonus, but the square, which is a really odd way to do it.

You'd think they'd have set it up so there's some sort of algorithm that checks to see if the default spawn location for an alien dropping in is empty or occupied, and forces them to drop into an unoccupied space nearby. Though if the game made checks like that we'd probably be seeing fewer issues with teleporting patrols and cover bonuses. :v:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orgophlax posted:

It was part of a thin man rain after deactivating a bomb. No hunker, though: Santiago - as well as everyone else in the squad - was in overwatch. My heavy (who had no cover anywhere around him) also had a thin man land on him, and it got totally demolished by overwatch shots the moment it touched down.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The Crotch posted:

Unrelated to the previous screenshots, I just started using Toolboks to get rid of voice acting, balance recruit genders, and a couple other seemingly minor things. Problem is, I checked off the "Skip Revealed Alien Cutscenes" option and didn't touch the "Revealed Aliens Move Only After Xcom Turn" setting, yet it seems like half the time, revealed enemies don't move at all. Is this a known issue or just me?
I've been having that issue as well, hopefully it gets fixed. I've mentioned it in the nexus thread anyway. In better news bokauk is working on a customisable perk tree:

:getin:

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
So I am thinking on starting my I/I try after beating the game on Normal/I and Classic.

Any advice on the macro-managment? Starting continent? Strategy in the first 1-3 months? :ohdear:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

wilbur.walsh posted:

So I am thinking on starting my I/I try after beating the game on Normal/I and Classic.

Any advice on the macro-managment? Starting continent? Strategy in the first 1-3 months? :ohdear:

Here is the go-to guide for maximizing your cash on hand and minimizing your threat at the end of the first month. I really don't know why it's still not in the OP, I feel like it gets linked every few pages.
• As far as the first 3 months, there is some debate, but my preferred strategy is to rush laser weapons as fast as possible, because that extra damage is invaluable, especially on Impossible.
• Starting continent is the number one source of discord amongst XCOMmoners (maybe second to whether or not snap shot is terrible), but there are cases to be made for USA, Europe, and Africa. Asia is only even slightly worth it if you rush the Officer School, and South America is both small and the worst bonus.
• Overall, I'd recommend that you not stray too far from whatever strategy you usually follow. It's easier to tweak the style that you prefer than to try to play the game in a way that's technically optimal, but you don't actually enjoy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Here is the go-to guide for maximizing your cash on hand and minimizing your threat at the end of the first month. I really don't know why it's still not in the OP, I feel like it gets linked every few pages.

Can someone quote/repost/rehost this for those of us without archives? I've never seen it and am curious to see if I've missed anything obvious or have been doing something way wrong.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

VDay posted:

Can someone quote/repost/rehost this for those of us without archives? I've never seen it and am curious to see if I've missed anything obvious or have been doing something way wrong.

Sorry, I forget that things are in archives. Here's the important bit:

misguided rage posted:

1) Do the first mission
2) Start excavating the spot directly to the right of your starting lift
3) On your first abduction mission, pick engineers
3.5) If your first mission doesn't pop up with at least 24 days until the report (unlikely, but it happened to me once) you might as well restart
4) Build a workshop in the spot you excavated
5) Hopefully you get a UFO down with at least 21 days left until the report
6) Sell everything, except for weapon fragments. You can hang on to alloys as well, if you don't think you can raise enough cash to put out another satellite
7) Build 3 or 4 satellites, one at a time
8) Do nothing until 15 days left on the report
9) If you're lucky you've had a fourth mission by now; if you haven't, you'll probably need to cancel a satellite (which you ordered one at a time, right?) to afford the uplink. Build it adjacent to the starting uplink
10) On the last day before the report, launch the satellites
11) Fill a swimming pool with your cash. Don't forget that you only have 6 days to build another workshop, and 10 to start satellites, if you want to have anything ready for the end of the second month.

tl;dr, build a workshop ASAP, build satellites one at a time with 21+ days left till the report, build a satellite uplink with 15+ days left till the report.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 3, 2013

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

• As far as the first 3 months, there is some debate, but my preferred strategy is to rush laser weapons as fast as possible, because that extra damage is invaluable, especially on Impossible.
• Starting continent is the number one source of discord amongst XCOMmoners (maybe second to whether or not snap shot is terrible), but there are cases to be made for USA, Europe, and Africa. Asia is only even slightly worth it if you rush the Officer School, and South America is both small and the worst bonus.
• Overall, I'd recommend that you not stray too far from whatever strategy you usually follow. It's easier to tweak the style that you prefer than to try to play the game in a way that's technically optimal, but you don't actually enjoy.

The only half convincing argument for an Asia start is rushing SHIV's, not OTS. If you go Asia and rush both you can save 300 credits or so on upgrades in the early months, although I find that it's most helpful in cutting the insane Alloy cost for Ammo Conservation.

If you start April with Alloy SHIV and squad size 5 you are in good shape.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

Ernie Muppari posted:

One of the things I think is funny about the Van Dorn mission is that that soldier tells you that he and other surviving soldiers will cover you...but the only other survivor is Dorn and both he and the soldier are unarmed. It'd be p. cool if there were other soldiers who engaged the aliens on the map but were out of your control and mostly sucked and died or something. In fact it'd be pretty neat if that was something that could happen in terror missions too, just with like police or something else map appropriate. You could even tie the number of living, armed NPCs on the map to some sort of random alien spawn algorithm to even the odds if they were too effectual.
The cityscape in X-Com Apocalypse had some absolutely hilarious threeways, fourways and sixteenways happening every now and then. It was awesome. I don't know what it is that makes watching your virtual Lego men fighting each other so fun, but it just is. All the way to the original Jagged Alliance, I've had a habit of creating situations in which threeway battles become more common.

Apocalypse was a murder simulation truly worthy of its name. When the aliens infiltrated an organization that was hostile to X-Com, and you went in to clean the mess, you had to kill the aliens but also the resisting locals. :black101:

vuohi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 3, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

vuohi posted:

The cityscape in X-Com Apocalypse had some absolutely hilarious threeways, fourways and sixteenways happening every now and then. It was awesome. I don't know what it is that makes watching your virtual Lego men fighting each other so fun, but it just is. All the way to the original Jagged Alliance, I've had a habit of creating situations in which threeway battles become more common.

Apocalypse was a murder simulation truly worthy of its name. When the aliens infiltrated an organization that was hostile to X-Com, and you went in to clean the mess, you had to kill the aliens but also the resisting locals. :black101:

You know, gently caress Terror From the Deep. I truly hope that Firaxis's next X-COM game will be a take on the Apocalypse concept. That game was so ambitious and had so many great ideas. It's a shame it failed the execution on a few aspects, but if Firaxis could do that, and do that right, it could really become the best X-COM game ever.

edit: gently caress it, I'm installing Apocalypse now. What are the recommended fan mods/patches that work on the Steam version?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You know, gently caress Terror From the Deep. I truly hope that Firaxis's next X-COM game will be a take on the Apocalypse concept. That game was so ambitious and had so many great ideas. It's a shame it failed the execution on a few aspects, but if Firaxis could do that, and do that right, it could really become the best X-COM game ever.

edit: gently caress it, I'm installing Apocalypse now. What are the recommended fan mods/patches that work on the Steam version?

My hope is that if Firaxis does something like this, they go with a very Captain Scarlet or Stingray-esque (for a hypothetical TftD remake) look, and that that they go with that to the point that characters look like they've got all the weight and physicality of a marionette and every exploding vehicle looks like an RC car that was stuffed with fireworks.

It'll never happen, but I can dream. :allears:

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
That is pretty good, but Operation Crystal Night endures.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

On the topic of Apocalypse, our lord and savior Julian Gollop recently had an interview with PC Gamer that's pretty interesting. http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/29/j...-fork-my-fruit/ It actually goes a little bit into the development of Apocalypse and why it didn't turn out so well. But some of the other tidbits he drops are more interesting, like how he was working on a very Valkyria Chronicles-esque X-COM inspired game but the project was scrapped, his studio shut down, and the assets transferred over to the guys who made UFO: Aftermath. That's kind of tragic.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 3, 2013

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm still hoping for an X-COM sequel. The return of 'they' and poo poo sounds like a gas, and I'm anxious to see underwater slaughter without the subsequent research bugs.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Oh boy, do I have a fun mod for you. Have you ever thought: Hey, being X-COM is great and all, but what about our boys in blue? WELL STRAP YOURSELF IN, SON, WELCOME TO THE MEGAPOL MOD. :getin:

X-COM's fallen and it's up to you, the Megapol Chief, to defend the city from Aliens and yes X-COM itself. Hope you like lawpistols.

If you'd rather not engage in the most disgusting use of human/hovercraft wave tactics this side of Russia's involvement in WWII there's always Karadoc's mod that balances the game in such a way that you have a lot more strategies to choose from as opposed to just grabbing the tox-gun and never letting go.

Here's a wiki article for it as well.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 3, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I was mostly just looking for a mod that provided the vanilla experience, just better balanced and less buggy. So Karadoc's is the way to go?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Most definitely. If you know Apocalypse at all then the changes Karadoc's mod makes to the game are invaluable. The games slightly harder, but given how easy it is to cheese Apocalypse the challenges are welcome. Moreover, those challenges come in the form of making overpowered weapons (toxin-gun) less so while making other weapons/tactics more viable. Do checkout (check out? I hate English) the readme.

I also highly suggest you install the MMA2010 so that all your X-Com recruits can be Kimbo Slice.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh hey, that's the same Karadoc who made this Civ4 mod.

Speaking of Civ4, if I could compare the XCOM and Civ games, XCOM is a nice fusion of the tense probabilistic + error margin style combat from Civ4, and the tactical mobility of Civ5.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm still hoping for an X-COM sequel. The return of 'they' and poo poo sounds like a gas, and I'm anxious to see underwater slaughter without the subsequent research bugs.

I'd like to see aliens burrowing out of the ground, instead of coming from the sea. Something more like a demonic invasion, rather than being inspired by Shadow over Innsmouth. The final mission would take place in an alien base hidden inside the Earth's core--a Hell-like analog.

Unrelated, but I really, really wish there was a mod that added in the classic Geoscape/Interception music.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I miss the snakemen.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I thought thin men were implied to be snakemen in human-like bodies.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sexpansion posted:

Just quoting this for truth.
Final Fantasy Tactics did an great plot (well by JRPG standards anyway) along with whatever the player wrote in their head.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I'd like to see aliens burrowing out of the ground, instead of coming from the sea. Something more like a demonic invasion, rather than being inspired by Shadow over Innsmouth. The final mission would take place in an alien base hidden inside the Earth's core--a Hell-like analog.

I was more hoping for seeing how the graphics department would revamp the Triscene and Deep ones myself. Plus, imagine how gorgeous the battles would look under the water. Imagine the environment!

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

I was more hoping for seeing how the graphics department would revamp the Triscene and Deep ones myself. Plus, imagine how gorgeous the battles would look under the water. Imagine the environment!

Imagine I shall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOZeKH_1pEg

:dance:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The Easy difficulty should be on par with what Impossible is today. You know, for historic reasons.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Is that a thing to the old TFTD bug that hitched the dif to Superhuman or just XCOM in general?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

WarpedNaba posted:

Is that a thing to the old TFTD bug that hitched the dif to Superhuman or just XCOM in general?

The former.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

The bug was actually in original X-COM UFO Defense, where the game would reset itself to the easiest difficulty. It never got fixed, nobody was aware it was even a bug until much later (apparently it wasn't in internal builds), and when people complained that the game was way too easy even on the hardest difficult available, Microprose responded by making the easiest difficulty in TFTD more difficult than actual UFO Defense Superhuman mode.

TFTD itself was not bugged. It was just designed to be retardedly hard because that's what Microprose thought people wanted.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

TFTD always was butt ugly and also a bit confusing with its graphics and LOS, but I am pretty amused by the ridiculous mishmash that the game has in its cast of enemies. They should be redone with 100% accuracy and fidelity to the original, I want none of that "mutons that don't look like The Phantom wore something green today" modernizing poo poo.

I mean look at them. Aquatoid, the bastard son of a sectoid, raised by his frog mother. Gillman, the creature of the Black Lagoon. Deep one, that "special" kid on the bus who has his cap so deep in his head that you wonder if he sees anything. A LOBSTER and various other seafood. And a half brain half medusa thingy. Oh and in the end you blow up Cthulhu.

I love that kind of nonsense where a bunch of people had no idea what they were doing, just did some doodles, and someone further in the chain just approved everything without batting an eye.

vuohi fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 4, 2013

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

TFTD itself was not bugged.

TFTD crashed itself on Tuesday because a deep one hit an explosive barrel with its ranged attack. TFTD is buggy as all hell.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, I really should have been more specific. TFTD's difficulty is not bugged, is what I meant to say. The game is extremely buggy in many other ways, such as an infamous terror mission cruise ship map that has aliens who spawn in walls, requiring you to blow up every single wall to find and kill them all.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
This has been posted before, but it's relevant again so gently caress it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Does anyone have good experiences ignoring the first UFO, in hopes of luring a larger UFO later so you can get extra loot?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Phobophilia posted:

Does anyone have good experiences ignoring the first UFO, in hopes of luring a larger UFO later so you can get extra loot?

I think what you gain in extra loot doesn't make up for the fact that you'd no longer be able to set up an extra satellite uplink and 3-4 satellites in month one. The deadlines for getting those productions started are very tight, and if you're unlucky, even the first UFO won't show up before you have to start constructing the uplink itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just noticed that I've got an extra "game" on steam a day ago called "X-Com: Enemy Unknown Pre-Oder" with app number 200519
http://steamdb.info/app/200519/
The record has been added a day ago so I'm thinking that it might hint at a some kind of XCOM related bonus or something.

• Locked thread