Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

If that were the case than they would really have to consider lowering the price of the Vita.

They already did in Japan.

I suppose it doesn't matter until price points are confirmed, but if Sony does hit that low of a point, it really sends the price point ball to Nintendo's court, and I'm not convinced they would lower it even then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

In the UK at least, the cheapest model of the PS3 is the 12GB* one for £140, and Amazon recently started selling the Wii U Basic for £150. It's also been rumoured that a very cheap model of the 360 is being released alongside the new Xbox, so I don't know how well the Wii U could compete with just a price drop. I agree with the sentiment that NintendoLand should have been included with all models of the Wii U, but without a proper killer app, it's going to be hard to build up momentum.

*Actually it has a 16GB built-in flash memory, but they don't advertise the data that gets allocated to the system.

E: Meant Amazon, not ASDA

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 3, 2013

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sony has preached up and down about how they've learned from their mistakes with the PS3 launch and pricepoint and everything about the PS4 so far looks like it's true. Just going to have to wait for that price point. I don't think I'd spend more than 450$ on it though. (I'm expecting 350-450 but nothing until it is confirmed anyway)

It's all about pecking order with me anyway as I'm going to eventually get all three consoles to play exclusives but whatever v:shobon:v

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chaltab posted:

*The subsidized Xbox may be more expensive than the full price version in the long run depending on how long you have to subscribe before you 'own' it.

No "may" about it. Any time someone makes payments over time instead of paying up front, the final cost will be more than paying up front.

Well, barring Zimbabwe style hyperinflation. I'm sure Microsoft has plans set up for people to pay for Xbox Live Gold with actual gold in such an eventuality. :v:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Zomodok posted:

Sony has preached up and down about how they've learned from their mistakes with the PS3 launch and pricepoint and everything about the PS4 so far looks like it's true.

Counterpoint: The Vita

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wii U sales aren't far off from the Vita's, neither is close to even selling in the six figures on a monthly basis right now.

e: in the US, I mean. According to ars technica, Wii U sold 67,000 in March, 64,000 in February, 50,000 in January. I dunno what Pikmin's gonna do for sales but I would hope it does something significant.

At least it would do something to quell headlines like these:

Wired posted:

1991′s Super Mario World Is the Best Wii U Game Yet

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 3, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I think you mean Earthbound.

It's a Wii U exclusive in Europe, at least :downs:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

That loving Sned posted:

I think you mean Earthbound.

It's a Wii U exclusive in Europe, at least :downs:

Took me a second to realize. :golfclap:

I may have missed it, but when is Super Metroid showing up for the 30th Anniversary sale thing?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Took me a second to realize. :golfclap:

I may have missed it, but when is Super Metroid showing up for the 30th Anniversary sale thing?

On the 15th, according to this page.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It's be funny if a glitch caused it to show up as $1.50 if you already owned it for Wii

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I guess a crowdfunded spiritual sequel to Eternal Darkness made by a studio formed from the ashes of Silicon Knights may be coming to Wii U :3:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34099

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, we all heard. Shame Silicon Knights is a terrible studio and after the past year and a half of stuff is probably even worse now.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Denis Dyack is involved in the game, so the best thing you can hope for is that nobody gives those guys any money because seriously gently caress Denis Dyack

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mercury Crusader posted:

Denis Dyack is involved in the game, so the best thing you can hope for is that nobody gives those guys any money because seriously gently caress Denis Dyack

I'd be OK with this arrangement if he was there only in an advisory capacity, gently caress giving him any sort of producer level poo poo.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ah that's too bad. :( Eternal Darkness is one of my favorite games ever just by how much it surprised me. It's just, not the kind of game I generally like but it was so good I loved it.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Who owns the IP for Eternal Darkness anyway? Because if it's Nintendo they should sick Retro/Monolith on it or farm it out to Next Level.

Next Level being my favorite for being Canadian, competent and not including Denis Dyack.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Buffer posted:

Who owns the IP for Eternal Darkness anyway? Because if it's Nintendo they should sick Retro/Monolith on it or farm it out to Next Level.

I believe Dyack owns it because they were working on ED2 and it was definitely not going to be a Nintendo game.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Actually Nintendo was slotted in as the hypothetical publisher and the work they were doing was building a demo version to present to them in order to get funding. I feel fairly confident saying that Nintendo owns the rights. Hence the new game being as Bioshock is to System Shock II rather than what System Shock II was to System Shock.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Actually Nintendo was slotted in as the hypothetical publisher and the work they were doing was building a demo version to present to them in order to get funding. I feel fairly confident saying that Nintendo owns the rights. Hence the new game being as Bioshock is to System Shock II rather than what System Shock II was to System Shock.
Yeah I thought the ED2 rumor was pretty recent and under Nintendo.

Plus there's an easily accessible trademark search system :v:

Filing Date February 10, 2010
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition May 25, 2010
Owner (APPLICANT) Nintendo of America Inc. CORPORATION WASHINGTON 4600 150th Avenue NE Redmond WASHINGTON 98052

Looks like the original trademark (also owned by Nintendo) was cancelled in Dec 2009, and I guess the ED2 rumor came up when they applied for it again in 2010.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It would be really funny to see Nintendo publish the sequel to Dyack's baby without him.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

It would be really funny to see Nintendo publish the sequel to Dyack's baby without him.

I don't think Nintendo is going to publish Too Human 2. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Especially because Dyack is such a retarded babby manchild that you know he'd publicly flip his lid.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo still owned shares in Silicon Knights right until the end, didn't they?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
My mistake. That's interesting. I thought it was more like Banjo Kazooie where Rare got to leave and make a crappy Banjo game on the 360.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

My mistake. That's interesting. I thought it was more like Banjo Kazooie where Rare got to leave and make a crappy Banjo game on the 360.

An awesome Banjo game and a couple of awesome farming/animal murder sims. :colbert:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Now you just reminded me of the lack of any Blast Corps anywhere :argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo still owned shares in Silicon Knights right until the end, didn't they?

It was cheaper to hold onto them than it was to get more toilet paper.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Don't care if Dyack is involved, I'm crowdfunding the poo poo out of Eternal Darkness 2. The original is one of my favorite games of all time.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I still find it kind of funny and sad that after their success with ED Dyack was harping on and on about how it was great to get out from under the oppressive heal of Nintendo's boot and all that only to show that because Nintendo actually made him deliver on deadlines is why ED turned out any good to begin with. If it wasn't for Nintendo ED would've floundered in dev hell while Dyack ranted about the colors of shoes or something asinine

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

japtor posted:

Now you just reminded me of the lack of any Blast Corps anywhere :argh:

Auugh, I wonder if that's gonna get a VC release ever now. drat you for reminding me of it.

I wonder why it never got a sequel, was it just unpopular?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Auugh, I wonder if that's gonna get a VC release ever now. drat you for reminding me of it.

I wonder why it never got a sequel, was it just unpopular?

There was an interview with the lead designer of the game on NowGamer where he thought the game would be too difficult to make into a sequel as it was a "one-trick pony." I don't agree with that assumption, it was a great game in sort of a genre all its own. Also, I don't know if Rare or Nintendo currently holds the rights to the game.

I also believe the game sold well enough that it made a profit, though it didn't hit that million seller mark. I heard somewhere that sold over 300k copies but I can't find anything to back that up. As somebody that buys retro games, I see copies of Blast Corps all the time, so it must've sold alright.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 4, 2013

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Thunderfist only having one arm due to memory constraints is pretty amazing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

There was an interview with the lead designer of the game on NowGamer where he thought the game would be too difficult to make into a sequel as it was a "one-trick pony." I don't agree with that assumption, it was a great game in sort of a genre all its own. Also, I don't know if Rare or Nintendo currently holds the rights to the game.

I also believe the game sold well enough that it made a profit, though it didn't hit that million seller mark. I heard somewhere that sold over 300k copies but I can't find anything to back that up. As somebody that buys retro games, I see copies of Blast Corps all the time, so it must've sold alright.
Well it says right there it almost sold a million and topped the charts so it actually did better than I expected. And I think the "one trick pony" comment makes sense in context:

quote:

“I had ideas for a sequel; the game would have been based on a persistent city environment that would deviate into more of an action-based combat game. I don’t think there’s any way you can push the gameplay much further though; Blast Corps really was a one-trick pony.”
Along with the rest of the interview about the game creation, it sounds like he basically meant it'd be hard to top it cause how well it all came together that first time (i.e. the "one trick" was the game as a whole).

MS/Rare has the rights afaik :negative:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Red Faction: Guerrilla effectively proved there's room in this modern gaming market for a game entirely comprised of going around and blowing poo poo up. I spent so much time in a giant truck, just driving through all the buildings I could see.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Honestly they should just make an HD version of Blast Corps. No need to do anything new.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Honestly they should just make an HD version of Blast Corps. No need to do anything new.

Yeah more remakes is what this system needs!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man I'm hooked on the Rayman Legends challenge app. It's been getting me to play my Wii U every day and I've already put a little over 20 hours into it in the two weeks or so it's been up.

I'm surprised more games don't have some kind of daily element like this to keep people playing. The only game I can really think of to do it is Animal Crossing. Theatrhythm and Dissidia Final Fantasy also gave out bonuses for playing every day, and I got roped into those too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

KimT posted:

I'm surprised more games don't have some kind of daily element like this to keep people playing. The only game I can really think of to do it is Animal Crossing. Theatrhythm and Dissidia Final Fantasy also gave out bonuses for playing every day, and I got roped into those too.

Theatrhythm's developer also made the Game Center CX games and the second one had a "play every day to unlock extra stuff" feature. It's not a bad idea if they can find the right balance, something that takes a few minutes to unlock some amusing bonuses

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Yeah more remakes is what this system needs!

They do if that remake is Blast Corps. :colbert:

I'd also like to see remakes/sequels to Tetrisphere, Mischief Makers, and Goemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
For some reason the Wonderful 101 always reminded me of Blast Corps more than Pikmin. Maybe it is the similar zoomed out view of urban environments and the comic tone. If it is anywhere near as good as that game then I will be happy.

A true sequel to Pilotwings 64 would be nice (not a tacked-on Wuhu Island Mii game).

• Locked thread