Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DrBouvenstein posted:

My mom used to make something similar with oyster crackers. No ranch dressing, or cayenne, but lots of garlic salt, dill, and a couple other things.

Almost like a low-budget Chex mix.

Oh man my mom made this too and it was DELICIOUS. She usually made it like once a year, and I would wolf those crackers down whenever I could. They tasted like heaven itself. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

If I saw butter on a sandwich I'd lie and say I wasn't hungry. I couldn't handle it at all. I want to know what was the point? Tradition from the olden days when you needed calories all the time? Easier to swallow, like lubrication? I just don't get it. It tastes loving horrible. Why?

My mom usually puts butter on her bread/sandwiches, too. I personally don't mind the taste, but I just don't understand why you would do it. It seems so superfluous.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

If I saw butter on a sandwich I'd lie and say I wasn't hungry. I couldn't handle it at all. I want to know what was the point? Tradition from the olden days when you needed calories all the time? Easier to swallow, like lubrication? I just don't get it. It tastes loving horrible. Why?

When I would carry my lunch in elementary school my mother would but butter on my PB&Js on the jelly side to keep the bread from getting all soggy during the day, or at least that was her reasoning. I can't say that it helped the flavor though.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

DrBouvenstein posted:

My mom used to make something similar with oyster crackers. No ranch dressing, or cayenne, but lots of garlic salt, dill, and a couple other things.

Almost like a low-budget Chex mix.

My mom did something like this. Oyster crackers and dressing mix, and maybe some other things. Delicious with chicken soup.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Just blitzed through the thread and half the disgusting exotic cuisine here is something I either grew up with or enjoyed at some point in my life. You guys are nuts.

By the by, ikizukuri is really a novelty, it's more a testament to the chef's skill and less about the taste itself (which would be delicious whether or not the fish is gaping at you while you eat). The idea is that you're eating fish sliced by someone so skilled that the fish doesn't even know it's dead yet, so of course it's better.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

A peanut butter and jelly cheeseburger. The patty is also 50% ground beef and 50% pork.

quote:

PEANUT BUTTER & JELLOUSY
Slater’s favorite and award winning! Sterling Silver ground beef topped with thick cut bacon, creamy peanut butter and strawberry jelly on a honey wheat bun.

https://slaters5050.com/menus/food-menus/#burgers

I've had it and it was alright. Too much peanut butter on my burger so it had that licking the roof of my mouth thing going on. Friends have tried it and liked it so the chef probably just put too much peanut butter on my burger when they made it that night. :smith:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I would try it. A local restaurant chain [Blazin' Onion] makes a drat fine Thai Peanut burger, and I have grown to like the taste of peanut sauce on my burger [and everything because peanut sauce is manna from heaven]. I know peanut sauce != peanut butter, but still.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
No self-respecting Purdue University student graduates without trying the Duane Purvis Burger: all-beef patty, cheese, ketchup, mustard, and a biiig ol' smear of Peanut Butter. Sounds gross, tastes amazing.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Jmcrofts posted:

No self-respecting Purdue University student graduates without trying the Duane Purvis Burger: all-beef patty, cheese, ketchup, mustard, and a biiig ol' smear of Peanut Butter. Sounds gross, tastes amazing.

WHY HAVE I NEVER THOUGHT TO DO THIS? :aaaaa:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I accidentally posted this in the Awkward and Ugly thread first:

Oh God, what is that? Is it...is it what I think it is? :ohdear:

Oh, no worries, it's not urine.

It's Mountain Dew jam! :gonk:

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

fizzymercy posted:

You can order it from Amazon. I order Marmite because I eat it by the jar and it's hard to find around Houston.

I'm considered gross about for salty I eat my food. I eat 12 grain toast with marmite and American cheese on it for breakfast every day. I go through bottles of soy sauce weekly. I snack on lemons dipped in salt. I have basically no ability to taste food flavors well, so I eat super salty stuff to make up for the lack of other flavors. I get bitched at about how awful it is for me a lot. That salted licorice sounds heavenly, incidentally.

Also, my Mom makes pear salad for Sunday dinner every week. Diced canned pears, shredded cheddar, shredded iceberg, all layered with a big dollop of Miracle Whip. It looks exactly as gross as you'd think, and it's oddly gritty. I love that horrible "salad" though.

Just so you know I am concerned for your blood pressure. But mostly I am jealous, I miss salt :( My BP does not....

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

I accidentally posted this in the Awkward and Ugly thread first:

Oh God, what is that? Is it...is it what I think it is? :ohdear:

Oh, no worries, it's not urine.

It's Mountain Dew jam! :gonk:

I'm guessing flat mountain dew + pectin, boil, cool?

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Jmcrofts posted:

We are talking gross but delicious burgers eh?

Well then let me tell you all about a wonderful place called Mcguire's.

It's menu could fill this thread really.

They have the delicious Reuban egg rolls and the infamous boxtys*.

*deep fried mashed potatoes

though the star of the restaurant is the sea of burgers

From that menu

The Hot fudge burger

and the Garbage burger

Pensacola's pride

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
You have to admire the fact that they keep it on the menu specifically for the people that just have to waste their money.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Optimist with doubt posted:

The Hot fudge burger

I would buy this, laugh really hard, and then eat it.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

he knows...
What I've done is eat the ice cream, eat the french fries and take the hot fudge burger home. Around 2 am it's delicious, like a doughnut hosed a burger.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Optimist with doubt posted:

The Hot fudge burger

and the Garbage burger

Pensacola's pride

Fellow Pensacola goon?

I've never had the courage to order the Hot Fudge Burger or the Garbage Burger, until now. Challenge accepted. Photos coming soon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130430005625/en/Jones-Soda-Dishes-Canadian-Delicacy

POUTINE SODA.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

he knows...

ToyotaThong posted:

Fellow Pensacola goon?

I've never had the courage to order the Hot Fudge Burger or the Garbage Burger, until now. Challenge accepted. Photos coming soon.

I wouldn't wish the garbage burger on my worst enemy, good luck.

Disco Tits
Jan 11, 2012

See you at the Discotheque

The AB aka after birth. Chips, yiros meat, sour cream, chilli sauce.

:australia:

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slatur

Blood, fat and liver sausages. Not quite as disgusting as most of the stuff in this thread and actually quite enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kytaum_6Wh8
Here´s a movie scene where it's being made.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Disco Tits posted:

Blue and White cafe?

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
I love vegemite and peanut butter together on toast/sandwiches. My family used to tease me about it but I thought I couldn't be the only one. Tastes a bit like satay sauce :)

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Anyone try this yet? Gonna try to track some down and save it for drunken bets.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

SC Bracer posted:

Oh man, the first time I went to Hong Kong, I went completely off my food thanks to the smell of the street stuff. I've eaten all kinds of weird poo poo before, but nope. Not this time.

Anyway, how about this lovely delicacy?

Fried termites

Apparently they taste like peanuts.

So this is back from page 3 or something, but I just wanted to say that live termites in fact taste just like peanut butter, so the fried ones probably do too.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I could literally poo poo on a plate, add fat and salt, and then post a picture, and someone in this thread would pop up to defend it. Seriously, what's wrong with some of you that you'd eat this stuff?

Have the fleshy part of frut.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Samfucius posted:

So this is back from page 3 or something, but I just wanted to say that live termites in fact taste just like peanut butter, so the fried ones probably do too.

I've eaten mealworms (both live and fried), live ants, fried maguey worms, fried grasshoppers, and steamed silkworm pupae and the only ones that didn't basically taste like nuts or nut butters were the fried mealworms which were so thoroughly fried that they just tasted like potato chips and the ants which were more acidic and tasted kind of like lemon. I think it's just a general thing that bugs taste like nuts.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Disco Tits posted:

gently caress that sounds amazing.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Was browsing the yelp of a bar close to me to link to someone and found this on the photos:

Gold burger apparently. I have no idea what the gold actually is.

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?

Plinkey posted:

Was browsing the yelp of a bar close to me to link to someone and found this on the photos:

Probably gold leaf. It's inert and therefore safe to eat.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Plinkey posted:

Christ, how much of a rich rear end in a top hat do you have to be to order a gold leaf burger?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

fizzymercy posted:

You can order it from Amazon. I order Marmite because I eat it by the jar and it's hard to find around Houston.

I'm considered gross about for salty I eat my food. I eat 12 grain toast with marmite and American cheese on it for breakfast every day. I go through bottles of soy sauce weekly. I snack on lemons dipped in salt. I have basically no ability to taste food flavors well, so I eat super salty stuff to make up for the lack of other flavors. I get bitched at about how awful it is for me a lot. That salted licorice sounds heavenly, incidentally.

Also, my Mom makes pear salad for Sunday dinner every week. Diced canned pears, shredded cheddar, shredded iceberg, all layered with a big dollop of Miracle Whip. It looks exactly as gross as you'd think, and it's oddly gritty. I love that horrible "salad" though.

Are you a goat?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wanamingo posted:

Christ, how much of a rich rear end in a top hat do you have to be to order a gold leaf burger?

It's really not all that swanky of a place just good microbrews. It's also in Baltimore a place not exactly known for it's money. It seemed really out of place for a microbrew bar.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

More like how rich is your rear end in a top hat going to look when this thing gets done moving through you :downsrim:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Are you a goat?

Yes, and these damnedable hooves sure do make typing a chore.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

poo poo like this isn't for rich people, it's for poor people who want to feel rich.

Gold leaf isn't that expensive; gold can be pounded to an incredible thinness.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/17/at-666-this-devilish-new-burger-is-also-the-worlds-most-expensive/

Speaking of gold-leafed burgers, this one has so much gratuitously expensive poo poo on it that it costs $666. It's one of the few foods I'd call offensively bad. And it's ~ironic~ of course.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My favorite was the NYC dessert place that was super expensive and super swanky. Most expensive ice cream ever, gold leaf everywhere. That kind of place.

It kept of getting closed because of health violations . . .

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Shbobdb posted:

My favorite was the NYC dessert place that was super expensive and super swanky. Most expensive ice cream ever, gold leaf everywhere. That kind of place.

It kept of getting closed because of health violations . . .

This one?

A very small part of me wishes I could become very rich and famous just so I could go here on a whim one day and eat one of these for myself. Though the bulk of the price seems to go towards the bracelet and spoon you get with it.

edit; I guess I didn't notice that links to the DC location's page, the NYC one only has the $1000 one on their menu.

Miss Kalle has a new favorite as of 03:02 on May 4, 2013

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
You'd think a restaurant that serves a $25,000 dessert could afford a copy editor for their own website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

stereobreadsticks posted:

I've eaten mealworms (both live and fried), live ants, fried maguey worms, fried grasshoppers, and steamed silkworm pupae and the only ones that didn't basically taste like nuts or nut butters were the fried mealworms which were so thoroughly fried that they just tasted like potato chips and the ants which were more acidic and tasted kind of like lemon. I think it's just a general thing that bugs taste like nuts.
I've had canned silkworm pupae, and they have an earthy taste. I've also had a live grub, and it tasted oniony.

• Locked thread