Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If I only bought 1 Wing Commander, which one would be recommended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

If I only bought 1 Wing Commander, which one would be recommended?

If you want a traditional space shooter, WC4. If you want Freelancer's daddy, Privateer.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Wezlar posted:

Has anyone tried to play Wing Commander with an Xbox 360 controller? How does it work?

Not sure about 3 and 4, but 1 and 2 are definitely intended to be played on a two-button joystick so you'll need to do some remapping. The problem is that they use some weird combinations like "double click on a button", "double click and hold" and so on. The upside is that all those weird combinations also already have keyboard equivalents so remapping should be easy.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I had been thinking about buying Alpha Centauri and Syndicate for a while. However, Alpha Centauri strikes me as just being Civilization with a sci-fi tile set, and I’ve steered clear of Syndicate in the past because I’ve heard it’s really difficult.

I’ve also been mildly interested in the Dungeon Keeper games. I have to ask, though, which of the two is recommended?

Also, is Nox any good? The description makes it sound like a humor-filled version of Diablo.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alpha Centauri is a Civilization game so if you don't want to play Civ at all I suppose you'd best avoid it, but it's a really good Civ game with some unique things about it like a plot and unit creation.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Alpha Centauri is a Civilization game so if you don't want to play Civ at all I suppose you'd best avoid it, but it's a really good Civ game with some unique things about it like a plot and unit creation.

My only real experience with the Civilization series was from playing Civ V on Steam during on of the free weekends. I didn't buy the game, but I liked it enough.

My issue with the Civilization series is that I always feel like I should buy one of the more recent games in the series, because I assume they'd be easier or more accessible then one of the older entries.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I've started playing my GOG library recently on my old laptop, since my main rig's motherboard kicked the bucket. And I'm currently working through the undead campaign of Diciples 2 Gold.

Is it possible to kill Uther in the second undead mission by the time he reaches the orc town in the left middle portion of the map on normal difficulty? I almost had him on my first attempt after a few reloads but he slipped through my fingers since I hadn't conserved my resources enough to be able to finish him off. And I quit for the night because I didn't feel like grinding his new party down once he reached the demon city after I had already taken down his demon and berserker bodyguards. I'm going to try the mission again from the beginning later but I'd like to see what you think of my current plan.

1.Load all the living non-leader fighters and zombies on the vampire and knight heroes and move them towards the orc town via the upper mountain pass. Set up their parties on the way so that the more damaging knight commander has the better troops.

2.Use the zombie heroes to block off the mountain passes to buy time. Uther seems to take the lower path so maybe test only blocking that one with zombies to buy more time, if it doesn't work, reload and block the lower path with two zombies and keep two of them moving down the upper path while blocking it. Maybe they'll make it to the town in time to be used as more cannon fodder for the big fight.

3.Send the hero brought over from the previous mission straight down towards the orc town, use the starting restoration potions to heal from the fights against the two orcs blocking the way in order to conserve money and time. The first orc is in more open terrain, so maybe it can be bypassed to save time, I don't remember.

4.Pick up the pestilence scroll and damage buff potion from the chests on the way to the orc town with the faster vampire hero, save them to use against Uther.

5.Use the knight and vampire heroes to invade the orc town. Send the weaker vampire in first to soften them up. (On my first attempt I had to sacrifice the vampire hero's party, I'm not sure if it's possible to retreat with them before they get killed and still deal enough damage to ensure that the second party succeeds in taking over the town but it might be worth it to try to have more parties to attack Uther with.)

6.Try to conserve gold and mana as much as possible. Only build a temple and perform minimal healing/replacement on the wounded troops of the survivors from the town siege to save money for recruiting a new party. Only research one spell to save mana for bombarding Uther with. (Summon skeleton could help with softening the orc town before invasion which is what I did on my first attempt, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. While a damage spell could be used to kill or weaken Uther's witch before the fight to stop her from impififying your units in the big fight. Still undecided, but leaning towards one of the damage spells.)

7.Hopefully ambush Uther with as big a fusillade of spells as possible (I'm playing the mage lord, so two casts of whatever I've researched, plus the pestilence scroll. Maybe a third if I can afford to research and cast a second spell at the last minute.), the survivors from the siege against the orc town, a party newly recruited from said orc town, someone buffed with the damage boost potion and maybe the party brought over from the previous mission and the zombies that were blocking the upper path if they make it down there in time.

Thoughts?

E: Fixed some weird wording.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 4, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Max Wilco posted:

My only real experience with the Civilization series was from playing Civ V on Steam during on of the free weekends. I didn't buy the game, but I liked it enough.

My issue with the Civilization series is that I always feel like I should buy one of the more recent games in the series, because I assume they'd be easier or more accessible then one of the older entries.

Civ 5 is definitely the most accessible Civ game, but they're all unique in their own way. If you're patient and like older games or strategy games at all I don't think you'll have a big problem going straight into Alpha Centauri, if you do choose to get it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Alpha Centauri is really unique in a lot of ways. It does thing no other Civ game does, like have actual characters and a story progression with pretty decent writing. You can feel comfortable buying it without feeling like it's just an older, inferior version of more recent games. In fact, many people feel like it's the best game ever made in the 4X genre.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Alpha Centauri is really unique in a lot of ways. It does thing no other Civ game does, like have actual characters and a story progression with pretty decent writing. You can feel comfortable buying it without feeling like it's just an older, inferior version of more recent games. In fact, many people feel like it's the best game ever made in the 4X genre.

I don't know that I'd go that far, but it is certainly my favorite Civ game.

Max Wilco posted:

Also, is Nox any good? The description makes it sound like a humor-filled version of Diablo.

I don't remember the gameplay being that similar to Diablo. The classes are a lot more differentiated than Diablo I and the areas are preset (but different for each class). Other than that, its a pretty accurate comparison. It was a hell of a lot of fun on all (3?) classes and I'm thinking about picking it up. I hardly ever finish second playthroughs of a game, but I remember beating it with at least two of the classes so it is definitely well worth the current price.

Peas and Rice posted:

It is one of my favorite video games ever, and if you can get over the primitive graphics, it is still an amazing experience. Considering how enormous the universe is and that they managed to cram everything on two 360k 5.25 floppies blows my mind.

$2.50 for both games is definitely worth it in my opinion. If you want more info, I did a whole fanboy writeup of it in the Old School PC RPG thread
Thanks! I'd probably just get the second one, but fortunately, they come together so I don't have to choose. Sold.

Edit: I'm picking up a lot of games on this sale, partly because I'm still kicking myself for missing the D&D sale a while back. Someone help talk me into buying the Ultima games. I loved UU 1+2 when they first came out, but I can't quite convince myself that I'll ever actually play it, or any other Ultima games (none of which I've played) - especially since I can probably put another 100 hours into Skyrim and still not have done everything.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 4, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Despite the intro it's actually not a very humorous game. There are three classes and each class actually gets an entirely different campaign. You end up exploring the same maps but they're done in different order with different challenges (wizard, for example, is more puzzle oriented while fighters have a lot of combat challenges). There's no random maps, no random loot, you have line of sight, and combat is a lot more deadly. The dungeons are heavily puzzle oriented and have a lot of unique tricks and traps you really don't see in this kind of game.

My biggest gripe is the difficulty. I played wizard first time through, which is admittedly the hard campaign, but later enemies have one-shot attacks that are nearly impossible to avoid unless you have a reflect spell hotkeyed and at the ready. Enemies are also aggressive and smart. Ranged enemies will stand behind walls and attack you through windows and due to the line of sight system you won't see them coming. Another big kick in the balls is how item durability works. If you get hit, you lose 1 durability point from a random piece of armor. If you attack with your weapon, even if your weapon hits a wall, you lose 1 durability point. Unlike Diablo you need to carry multiple pieces of equipment and swap them out because merchants usually appear only at the beginning and end of a map. One time I broke my sole weapon without even realizing and was wondering why my wizard was punching people. About midway through you get an unbreakable weapon that you'll never want to unequip because of this.

Now, Nox is a good (but hard game) but NoxQuest, the free expansion that comes packaged with the game, is loving awesome. NoxQuest is the perfect successor to the Gauntlet series. It's an endurance run through (16 I believe) massive levels filled with traps and monster generators. There are a ton of secrets, puzzles, and nasty traps to navigate. It's like playing Gauntlet the arcade game but 10x better. I only played it solo but if you can get a multiplayer game set up I can't imagine how awesome it would be. I played the Nox multiplayer demo back in the day and it was like a top-down fantasy Quake. Nox was really ahead of its time.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Max Wilco posted:

I had been thinking about buying Alpha Centauri and Syndicate for a while. However, Alpha Centauri strikes me as just being Civilization with a sci-fi tile set, and I’ve steered clear of Syndicate in the past because I’ve heard it’s really difficult.
As others have pointed out, Alpha Centauri's different enough from the Civilization series to be worth the purchase - if you the "future space-era Civ with a storyline" angle appeals to you, anyway, and you don't mind the terribly drab and dreary graphics.

Syndicate isn't easy, but it's not that difficult either until the very very end of the game. When things get a little too hairy, just press mouse buttons 1 and 2 to inject your agents with massive amounts of drugs that'll temporarily make them super-fast, super-aggressive, and super-paranoid, then watch them indiscriminately empty their guns on anything within firing range that could possibly present a threat to them.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

LLSix posted:

I don't know that I'd go that far, but it is certainly my favorite Civ game.

I don't remember the gameplay being that similar to Diablo. The classes are a lot more differentiated than Diablo I and the areas are preset (but different for each class). Other than that, its a pretty accurate comparison. It was a hell of a lot of fun on all (3?) classes and I'm thinking about picking it up. I hardly ever finish second playthroughs of a game, but I remember beating it with at least two of the classes so it is definitely well worth the current price.

Thanks! I'd probably just get the second one, but fortunately, they come together so I don't have to choose. Sold.

Edit: I'm picking up a lot of games on this sale, partly because I'm still kicking myself for missing the D&D sale a while back. Someone help talk me into buying the Ultima games. I loved UU 1+2 when they first came out, but I can't quite convince myself that I'll ever actually play it, or any other Ultima games (none of which I've played) - especially since I can probably put another 100 hours into Skyrim and still not have done everything.

I actually came to this thread just to mention that the Ultima games are on sale for something like $2.39 each, some even a 3 game bundle at that price. Ultima VII is maybe the best video game ever made, go buy it. I already owned the Ultima Collection but rebought Ultima VII from GOG a few weeks ago just to have an easier to run version with all of the maps and guides downloadable. It's an incredible deal.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Aside from not coming with the complete soundtrack is there anything wrong with the Allied Assault war chest? I feel like reliving my memories of stopping the nazi war machine with a M1 Garand and some good old american spirit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Max Wilco posted:

Alpha Centauri and Civ are pretty similar in terms of mechanics, and I daresay that Civ 4-5 are probably more evolved than AC (for obvious reasons). Where Alpha Centauri really shines is in its personality, since instead of having historical figures with nebulous personalities, your opponents actually have their own philosophies and personalities, and they're usually pretty great.

For example,

quote:

As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of the cool things about SMAC is how every single leader talk to and about the other leaders in different ways, and even cooler, how every single plot moment is written completely differently for each leader. It's really awesome playing as one of the alien races for example, to see everything from their perspective.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SMAC's opening salvo of heavily interlaced videotape footage kind of disappointed me when I first watched it, then I ran smack into that quote from Pravin Lal at the game opening screen, and it sort of put a bow on it: this game doesn't just sit around and let you build an empire, there's other stuff going on here.

There have been better-looking, perhaps more fun 4X games, and definitely games with better AI, but there's never been anything that's really tried and succeeded at what SMAC did.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 5, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mushball posted:

Aside from not coming with the complete soundtrack is there anything wrong with the Allied Assault war chest? I feel like reliving my memories of stopping the nazi war machine with a M1 Garand and some good old american spirit.

There is nothing wrong with them. MoH War Chest is a great deal and they are still enjoyable. You can still play the first (MoHAA) online as it still has an active playerbase.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Guillermus posted:

There is nothing wrong with them. MoH War Chest is a great deal and they are still enjoyable. You can still play the first (MoHAA) online as it still has an active playerbase.

You're telling me EA hasn't shut it down? Or Gamespy Arcade is still hosting it?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

You're telling me EA hasn't shut it down? Or Gamespy Arcade is still hosting it?

Both, EA never shut it down and Gamespy is still working :v: (at least the ingame browser is powered by gamespy) and just found 600 servers and almost a thousand players online. Not bad at all for a game that old.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

SMAC's opening salvo of heavily interlaced videotape footage kind of disappointed me when I first watched it, then I ran smack into that quote from Pravin Lal at the game opening screen, and it sort of put a bow on it: this game doesn't just sit around and let you build an empire, there's other stuff going on here.

There have been better-looking, perhaps more fun 4X games, and definitely games with better AI, but there's never been anything that's really tried and succeeded at what SMAC did.

Alpha Centauri does sound really interesting, based on what I've read here in the thread. However, I think I'm going to pass on it for now, mostly because I've got other games I need to finish.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
You can finish games? Huh.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You can install games instead of just placing them on a virtual bookshelf and stare at them?!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I have a COMPUTER??

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh and hey guess what's on sale this week? Honk honk bring down literally entire buildings with grenades/machine guns errday

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

And before anyone goes and suggests modding it to cut out a large chunk of the gameplay (along with a central story element), here's a small mod to smooth out the balance.

There only seem to be a small number of Silent Storm mods out there, period. Did anyone do a version of PKMod for Sentinels? If not, anyone understand the modding format enough to maybe port the changes over?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Dominic White posted:

And before anyone goes and suggests modding it to cut out a large chunk of the gameplay (along with a central story element), here's a small mod to smooth out the balance.

There only seem to be a small number of Silent Storm mods out there, period. Did anyone do a version of PKMod for Sentinels? If not, anyone understand the modding format enough to maybe port the changes over?
Much more important is the Watchdog mod, otherwise the broken skill and attribute system will make you pull your hair out. It's awesome when the benchwarmers end up being better than the team that survived a ton of actual combat missions. :downsbravo:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Dominic White posted:

They already fixed PK's along with the skillgrowth imbalance in the expansion. Sentinel's PK's don't have that ridiculous deflection/evasion bonus on top of their high health and armor any more, so you can reliably take them out with anti-tank rockets and even small arms if they have enough penetration (IIRC the Russian rifles can chip away chunks of pilot health if you're determined enough). They're still a threat, but not the random bullshit kind of threat they were in the base game.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

moot the hopple posted:

They already fixed PK's along with the skillgrowth imbalance in the expansion. Sentinel's PK's don't have that ridiculous deflection/evasion bonus on top of their high health and armor any more, so you can reliably take them out with anti-tank rockets and even small arms if they have enough penetration (IIRC the Russian rifles can chip away chunks of pilot health if you're determined enough). They're still a threat, but not the random bullshit kind of threat they were in the base game.

So are you saying the game is pretty good out of the box/download? I used to own this game on CD back in the day and loved it. I bought it awhile ago from GoG and am downloading now. Curious if there are any balance/bug mods necessary if the two already mentioned aren't.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Overwined posted:

So are you saying the game is pretty good out of the box/download? I used to own this game on CD back in the day and loved it. I bought it awhile ago from GoG and am downloading now. Curious if there are any balance/bug mods necessary if the two already mentioned aren't.

Yes, the two above mentioned mods (Dominic's and Tin Tim's) will sort out the big issues in the base game. Sentinels already incorporates these fixes and is good to go.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

Yes, the two above mentioned mods (Dominic's and Tin Tim's) will sort out the big issues in the base game. Sentinels already incorporates these fixes and is good to go.
Are you sure that Sentinels has fixed the char progression? Not to derail here, but I'm seriously interested to know this. I've played the original game a bunch, even have a campaign running right now, but only ran the expansion like 2-3 times in the past.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah, it definitely does. In the original game, like you said, your benchwarmers would actually become better than your active squad because they were being upgraded according to the game's ideal progression chart. The active squad, meanwhile, would be gimped because in practice there weren't enough opportunities to reach these ideal skill and stat levels even if you were actively grinding them out. The mod you link fixes it so that the stats and skills are automatically adjusted to where they should be according to level.

Sentinels fixes this a little bit differently. Rather than instantly adjusting the numbers up, it gives you a huge skill growth bonus if your skill isn't up to par. So say you have an engineer who is level 6 but only has an Engineering of 35. He will now raise up his Engineering skill by 1 full point every time he unlocks or disarms something (or even if he fails to, just as long as he's using his Engineer skill) until he reaches Engineer skill of 60 (or whatever the ideal is for that level) at which point the growth bonus goes away and the skill levels back at a normal rate. Sentinels also adds the ability to buy stat increases with money.

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 6, 2013

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Okay back up a bit. In order to get the most out of Silent Storm, what do I need to do? Is the vanilla version okay or does it require some mod? Sentinels appears to be the expansion, but are the changes retroactive to the original?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Biggus Duckus posted:

Okay back up a bit. In order to get the most out of Silent Storm, what do I need to do? Is the vanilla version okay or does it require some mod? Sentinels appears to be the expansion, but are the changes retroactive to the original?

Sentinels is the expansion. You could play the main game vanilla but the two mods linked earlier in the thread have some severe quality of life improvements. Things can get rather frustrating and drawn out in the later parts of the game without them.

EDIT: I was a little vague.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 6, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

moot the hopple posted:

Ah, good.

So, to clarify on all of the above, here's what new Silent Storm players need to know: If you're playing the original campaign, use the PKMod and Watchdog mod (I think you can run both at once) to smooth over the biggest bug and the biggest imbalance. If you're playing the expansion, you're fine running it Vanilla.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

New releases:

Eschalon: Book I (2006) - $5

Eschalon: Book II (2010) - $10

Both are currently 50% off the price listed above.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Ah, good.

So, to clarify on all of the above, here's what new Silent Storm players need to know: If you're playing the original campaign, use the PKMod and Watchdog mod (I think you can run both at once) to smooth over the biggest bug and the biggest imbalance. If you're playing the expansion, you're fine running it Vanilla.
Pretty much. The Watchdog will save you a lot of grinding and frustration, and the PKMod is very good for new players. Like, I never used it because I know how to skirt around the "issue", but it can seriously save you from cursing at the game.

Also, I'd suggest having a look at a walkthrough for the expansion. There is one mission where you have to disarm several bombs, and it's hard as hell.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

New releases:

Eschalon: Book I (2006) - $5

Eschalon: Book II (2010) - $10

Both are currently 50% off the price listed above.

These have both been on Steam for awhile, and having played them through that, they're great old-school single-character RPGs. There is some slightly archaic stuff to how the UI and options are arranged in both games, but if you like Spiderweb Software stuff then it doesn't take much to adjust to it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've played Book 1 and Avernum 1-3 and drat Book 1 is hard as gently caress. I did beat it, but there was much dying to be had. I recommend Googling a world map and using that to assist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
If we're talking Silent Storm, did the Sentinels sniper bug ever get fixed where the sniper's Always Crit perk stopped working after quickloading?

I bought the GOG version as soon as it was released, but I never played far enough in it to get the perk and try it out. The bug was the bane of my playthroughs in '04-'07.